Ranking the Half Hour Episodes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ranking the Half Hour Episodes

Post by MatthewHecht on Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Since "Shelter from the storm" will be premiering in a few weeks, and another half hour episode will end next season it makes me wonder how good the half hour episodes have been.
The thirty minute episodes are "Elwood City Turns 100" and "April 9th" in season 7, "Postcards from Buster" in season 8, "10th Anniversary" in season 10, "Big Brother Binky" in season 11, "The Great McGrady" in season 13, "Fifteen" in season 15, and "Based on a true Story" in season 16.
My personal rankings are
1. Elwood City Turns 100- Best episode
2. 10th Anniversary- A long story that praised what makes the show enjoyable
3. April 9th- really touching stories fro Binky and Arthur
4. Great McGrady- I think it showed the fear really well, and I really liked Lance Armstrong's role.
5. Big Brother Binky- Very funny second part, and a relate-able first half.
6. Postcard from Buster- I liked the first half, but it then becomes a poor version of Rick Steve. I was also disturbed by thinking of cartoon anamorphic creatures talking to live action people.
7. Fifteen- A huge mess with the animal plot, and the rest was not good enough to carry an episode.
8. Based off a True Story- Remember first seeing the new flash animation and louder, less subtle dialogue?
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ranking the Half Hour Episodes

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:52 pm

Great thread idea!

At the moment, it's hard for me to rank the half-hour/two-parter storylines from best to worst, but what I think what I'll do for the time being is go over these episodes off the top of my head and at least do a quick brush up on them.

- "Arthur's Baby / D.W.'s Baby" (S1): I find both parts to be pretty average, though they both did a decent job at depicting the concerns and feelings of kids as they anticipate the arrival of a new baby sibling - Arthur frets over Kate seemingly hating him, while D.W. gets a case of middle child syndrome and feels neglected that Kate gets doted on so much.
- "Buster's Back / The Ballad of Buster Baxter" (S3): A great kick-off to a great season, and I thought it was handled beautifully, with how Buster sees how his friends have become accustomed to not having him around, while they feel he doesn't like them anymore since traveling around the world "changed him."
- "The Chips are Down / Revenge of the Chip" (S3): Very amusing to see how both D.W. and Binky were carrying out their respective bucket lists when they thought they were going to die after eating green potato chips; the second part is poignant in that we see D.W.'s sympathetic side, and that even Arthur wanted to help her get over her humiliation.
- "Binky Rules / Meet Binky" (S3): Enjoyable through and through. The first is great with Buster and Fern investigating the case of grafitti with Binky's name, both in their own ways and clashing with each other in the process; the second where we actually get to meet the band and learn more about them is equally great . . . and ahead of its time too, when you consider it would be about ten years later when the Gorillaz entered the scene.
- "Elwood City Turns 100" (S7): Considering production was one of my electives in middle school, and having worked as part of stage crews before in putting on shows, I not only enjoyed the episode, but I also found it quite relatable too. It was a great way to commemorate ARTHUR's 100th episode.
- "April 9th" (S7): Quite a WHAM Episode, I must say, so much so in fact that so many factors at play (Lakewood on fire, Mr. Morris injuring himself and moving away, Sue Ellen losing her treasured diary) honestly made this feel like a series finale when it first aired.
- "Postcards from Buster" (S8): Never really cared for it, and even moreso never cared for the series proper. It was a good premise, but it was hard to accept Buster as the focus of his own series after being second banana to Arthur for so many years. And like Matthew, I too wasn't particularly fond of the live action inclusion.
- "Based on a True Story" (S16): I give it A for effort. The flash animation and the sudden inclusion of a new main character was quite a bold move to spring on us, but I think they handled it in the best way possible.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:43 am

For Arthur's/DW's Baby I found Arthur's Baby to be below average by season 1 standards, but as a middle child I found DW's problem to be relatable and funny. She was getting a taste of her own medicine.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top