Animation Oddities

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Animation Oddities

Post by ralfsmouse on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:09 pm

I noticed the topic for animation glitches, and I was initially going to post there, but my post grew to more than glitches as I was writing it, sorry.
I've been meaning to do this for a while, document all of the animation issues/odd things/anything noticeable and out of the ordinary, for a while now, but I never got around to captioning the screenshots and putting them somewhere (to give an idea of how long I've been meaning to do this, I planned to make this post on the Elwood City Central forum Shocked ). So, now that it's done, here are some of the season one (and one season 7) oddities:

I've actually been collecting screenshots of so-called "animation oddities" in Arthur. You're right in that there are more pronounced errors/oddities in earlier seasons, but there are also there in later ones if you look hard enough. Some examples:

BACKGROUNDS:

(Season 1, "Arthur's Chicken Pox")
Backgrounds (which would be anything not actively moving in the scene at that moment) in the early seasons seemed to be drawn by all sorts of methods. In season one they appear to be fond of watercolor, especially in scenes that feature a lot of floor.

They also occasionally used other art forms; this scene appears to use a medium that would yield stroke lines, especially in Arthur's headboard/shelving

(Season 1, "Arthur Babysits")
Another example of watercolor-like backgrounds, especially in shadowed areas.

CHARACTERS:

(Season 1, "DW All Wet")
The octopus took off Arthur's glasses, revealing that his eyes are the "Just Blackness" type. However, this style of eyes was not used until after season one; almost all of season one animated Arthur's eyes with pupils and sclerae (the white part).

(Season 1, "Arthur, World's Greatest Gleeper")

(Hmm... These screenshots are over two years old, and I can't remember this episode)
Here, along with some other episodes, Arthur's head is very round, to the point of being near-circular.

(Season 1, "Locked in the Library!")
But here, it's elongated to the point of being a pronounced oval. It's not the "camera" distortion either, it just seems to be drawn that way.

(Season 1, "Arthur's Pet Business")
All Season 1 characters had white to near-white tongues. This was fixed in later seasons.

TOO MUCH REUSE:

(Season 1, "Arthur's Pet Business")
Brain's been working too hard apparently. He's lined up with adults to offload some of the stress of taking care of his pet. Also, he had bags under his eyes and a very large pipe. Oh my...

(Season 1, "Arthur's Eyes," sorry about the huge screenshot.)
In the lower right corner, DW is at Lakewood Elementary rather than preschool.

JUST PLAIN ODDITIES

The Reads' clock has chicken pox, which interestingly stays for a couple of seasons. Reused backgrounds, maybe?

(Season 7, "Pick a Car, Any Car")
ARTHUR HAS HAIR! It is drawn exactly the same way as David's, interestingly enough.

Also, I'm still alive, just in case anyone was wondering. It's been a while.

ralfsmouse
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Animation Oddities

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:30 pm

ralfsmouse wrote:
Phew! Somebody said you were dead!

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ralfsmouse on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:55 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:
ralfsmouse wrote:
Phew! Somebody said you were dead!

Ha! I came back from the dead!
But really, I tried to come back to this forum after the demise of the ECC, but I just didn't find it as fun or addictive. I preferred the more polished ECC, but I think I'll give this forum another shot.

ralfsmouse
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:30 pm

This one is way more fun XDXDXD
and uh devious Wink
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.wm3.org

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:34 pm

Also Binky in the Lakewood crowd is using Brain's colors. Also why is Mrs. Wood there?

Another thing too I need to point out is AKOM (the overseas animation studio for Seasons 1-11 has a bit of a habit of going off model as seen in their other shows, so it's either a hit or miss with them.) Animation Services (HK) for Seasons 12-15 was way worse. It was poor quality in many areas. I remember in Room To Ride from Season 12, when Binky bikes over a pothole. He is crudely drawn and doesn't even look like the same character anymore! Not to mention the animation was very choppy and felt limited.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Really, the only time the animation looked and felt mostly stablized was Seasons 3-8: Season 2 was a definite improvement from Season 1, but many of that season's earliest entries still had some kinks in the animation: "D.W. the Picky Eater" actually looks like a Season 1 episode at times.

Season 4's color scheme seems a little odd too, but I think I recently figured out what the problem is: somehow, the hue/tint seems to have been thrown out of whack, because there's too much green in the tint. Just to compare, look at this:

The top is a screencap from "That's a Baby Show" with no alterations, and the bottom is the same screencap that I adjusted the hue just a touch, increasing the redness and decreasing the greenness - it looks like more the previous seasons, doesn't it?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ralfsmouse on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:36 am

Snowth Poogle wrote:Really, the only time the animation looked and felt mostly stablized was Seasons 3-8: Season 2 was a definite improvement from Season 1, but many of that season's earliest entries still had some kinks in the animation: "D.W. the Picky Eater" actually looks like a Season 1 episode at times.

Season 4's color scheme seems a little odd too, but I think I recently figured out what the problem is: somehow, the hue/tint seems to have been thrown out of whack, because there's too much green in the tint. Just to compare, look at this:
The top is a screencap from "That's a Baby Show" with no alterations, and the bottom is the same screencap that I adjusted the hue just a touch, increasing the redness and decreasing the greenness - it looks like more the previous seasons, doesn't it?

I think you're onto something there; that bottom image does look a LOT better. I wonder if that was just an issue in delivery or somewhere earlier in production?
I also remember season 6 having the same color issue, especially with Arthur's skin tone.

ralfsmouse
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:10 am

Snowth Poogle wrote:Really, the only time the animation looked and felt mostly stablized was Seasons 3-8: Season 2 was a definite improvement from Season 1, but many of that season's earliest entries still had some kinks in the animation: "D.W. the Picky Eater" actually looks like a Season 1 episode at times.

I am glad I am not the only one who noticed that!
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:31 pm

ralfsmouse wrote:
Backgrounds (which would be anything not actively moving in the scene at that moment) in the early seasons seemed to be drawn by all sorts of methods. In season one they appear to be fond of watercolor, especially in scenes that feature a lot of floor.
I think up until the Flash era, they almost always did backgrounds with watercolors: that little blurb about the making of the show they occasionally have at the end of the show, when Buster mentions a whole team of artist paints all the scenes, they definitely look like they're being painted with watercolors.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:43 pm

The only episode I thought had glaring problems was "Arthur's Eyes." It constantly had reused animation with the basketball game that made no sense. Also Fern was just standing underneath the basketball goal smiling, while Francine was doing some early victory look that seemed robotic. Also blinking was too rare.
Sometimes a close up will have a character's arm or something turn into another character's, and that makes me wonder if they changed starring roles during production.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:53 pm

Yes there was too much green in that shot. The scene looks like it is about to be completely eaten by that couch. There were too many different shades of green. It deters the viewer away from the characters.
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Is there a special reason why in Season 2 and much of 3, everybody had the exact same colored backpacks?! It's actually used as a plot device just once in "Popular Girls," where Francine and Catherine mistakening take the wrong backpack with them, but other than that, I really saw no reason why everybody else had the same color backpack, unless the colorists were just simply too lazy to give them different colors like in other seasons.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:13 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:Is there a special reason why in Season 2 and much of 3, everybody had the exact same colored backpacks?! It's actually used as a plot device just once in "Popular Girls," where Francine and Catherine mistakening take the wrong backpack with them, but other than that, I really saw no reason why everybody else had the same color backpack, unless the colorists were just simply too lazy to give them different colors like in other seasons.
Maybe they really loved that color. They probably worried the colors would just change between shots if they were different.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:38 pm

I vote too lazy Wink lol! lol!
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb