Real Life Issues For Future Arthur Episodes

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Real Life Issues For Future Arthur Episodes

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 am

Because today's episode of Arthur had Rattle's parents divorced and Rattles getting a new father and step-siblings. I thought I should suggest some Arthur episodes that cover real life issues that people face.

Video Game Violence - Though this issue is quite outdated by today. But back in the 90's, it was a really big deal. Mortal Kombat, DOOM, Wolfenstein 3D, etc. were very controversial due to their realistic depictions of violence. I can picture there being an episode where Arthur sees a commercial for a new game called "Deadly Force." And everyone has it but him. He wants to buy it, but Jane wouldn't let him because of its violent content.

Drugs - Catherine Frensky has been hanging out with a group of new friends. Francine notices she has been acting very strange and is always wanting to do something as if she is addicted to it. Francine finds shoebox of drugs under Catherine's bed. It turns out that Catherine was peer pressured into doing drugs by her peers. The moral of the episode would be don't hang out with the wrong crowd.

Unemployment - David gets fired from his catering business or Jane gets laid off from her accounting business. They both have no jobs and not as much more to care for the kids. They are also struggling to find a new job due to the economy.

Homosexuality - Would they do an episode about this? I am just curious. Like having a teacher or something revealing he/she is gay.

Last edited by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Re: Real Life Issues For Future Arthur Episodes

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:55 am

Um, Drugs? No I do not think so.
Possibly smoking though, since it would be a good message to kids.

Video game? Possibly, I mean there was that episode on Doug, not a video game but that really gruesome film that was PG13 he wanted to go and see and wasn't allowed to, but when he went he had nightmares at the violence implied and gore. In the end Doug was grounded so...yeah that could become an episode.

I personally think that an unemployment episode would be good, especially since it appears that Francine is the only poor one whose mother is unemployed. An unemployment plot would be good so you could submit the idea via facebook.

I don't know about a homosexual episode since they are all eight years old. The story probably focuses around children so it does not have to deal with sex, drugs, pregnancy and homosexuality etc...but it would be good to see a parent or teenager come out as gay or possibly transgender.
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.wm3.org

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:25 am

I would like to have Esperanza Spalding guest star on "Arthur". I've sent letters to WGBH about this idea and suggested it on a recent "send your ideas" post on Arthur's facebook page.

For the issue, I think cutting the arts at Lakewood seems appropriate........(Maybe they already did this, I don't know). The other issue I think would work for Ms. Spalding would be every girl falling for a Justin Bieber takeoff but Binky would rather listen on his phone/walkman/mp3 player/iPod/etc, is the music of Esperanza Spalding.

As for homosexuality, they already did this in an infamous episode of "Postcards from Buster".

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:20 am

While not video games, they did do an episode about the effects of violent content on kids in the form of "Attack of the Turbo Tibble," in which the Tibbles got hooked on a violent TV cartoon and they soon began imitating all of the action and fighting they saw on the show. I'm not so sure that video game violence would be dated today, in fact, I think it'd be even more relevant than ever since the gaming community has exploded since then.

Unemployment would definitely be an issue they should discuss. SESAME STREET once did a special - not an episode, but a special - about families who go to poor houses and such to get food because they otherwise wouldn't be able to eat; I think ARTHUR should very much do an episode like that - put one of the families in a situation where the parent(s) have lost their jobs, or have to take a huge pay cut, show them having their utiliities cut off, and having to go to poor houses for food. That'd be a great way for kids and families who were effected by the recession to cope with it.

But they wouldn't discuss drugs or homosexuality on a kids show: parental groups would be doing all they could to prevent this from happening.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. It looks as if Thursday's new episode deals with the Reads trying to live more frugally when both David and Jane experience slumps in their work.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:10 pm

ArthurFrancineFan wrote:Um, Drugs? No I do not think so.
Possibly smoking though, since it would be a good message to kids.

Video game? Possibly, I mean there was that episode on Doug, not a video game but that really gruesome film that was PG13 he wanted to go and see and wasn't allowed to, but when he went he had nightmares at the violence implied and gore. In the end Doug was grounded so...yeah that could become an episode.

I personally think that an unemployment episode would be good, especially since it appears that Francine is the only poor one whose mother is unemployed. An unemployment plot would be good so you could submit the idea via facebook.

I don't know about a homosexual episode since they are all eight years old. The story probably focuses around children so it does not have to deal with sex, drugs, pregnancy and homosexuality etc...but it would be good to see a parent or teenager come out as gay or possibly transgender.

That's what I meant about the homosexual episode. Having a character that is homosexual.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:34 pm

I think unemployment can work. They are about to do an episode on money. I think they are not doing unemployment, but rough financial times.
Video game violence might work, but I find episodes on it are normally just annoying. It still might work. I think Buster or Brain would be the star of it.
I hope they never do drugs or homosexuality. One reason I love this show is that I am pretty sure they will never do that and instead focus on other moral issues like they did in "Draw!" and "Cat Saver."
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:00 pm

Guys, I am so sorry for bringing up that they could do a homosexual episode.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:59 pm

The Pop Cult Gamer wrote:Guys, I am so sorry for bringing up that they could do a homosexual episode.
Multiple people have suggested it
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:25 pm

True. Likewise, people have also suggested other issues they think the show should tackle that you know wouldn't be possible because they're too touchy/sensitive/hot-button issues that would upset people watching the show - as I've said before, I've noticed many people have been suggesting a molestation episode for years, but that would be waaay too heavy for the show to tackle.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:00 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:True. Likewise, people have also suggested other issues they think the show should tackle that you know wouldn't be possible because they're too touchy/sensitive/hot-button issues that would upset people watching the show - as I've said before, I've noticed many people have been suggesting a molestation episode for years, but that would be waaay too heavy for the show to tackle.

What is wrong with those people? Seriously?

Anyway, I also have a suggestion for another episode they could come up with is a rumor about the world ending. Back in 2012, there was quite a scare about the apocalypse was gonna come on December 21, 2012 due to the Mayan Calendar ending on that date. Maybe they should do an episode about Arthur and his friends worrying about a rumored doomsday and it turns out it was all fake?
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Didn't they do an episode like that once? Not necessarily the end of the world, but something similar?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:32 pm

I think it was "The Boy Who Cried Comet"?
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:43 pm

It would make sense for Buster, but that would just feel like a remake to in my opinion, one of the shows absolute best episodes. Maybe another character like George or fern (I am even wondering if I could be right fro Ladonna) could take the lead role.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:02 pm

I was thinking it was something like they heard rumors about the world being destroyed by alien worms or alien squirrels, or something like that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:09 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:I was thinking it was something like they heard rumors about the world being destroyed by alien worms or alien squirrels, or something like that.

Oh that's "War of the Worms" from Season 12. That episode was a bit out of character for Brain because he wasn't the type to believe Fern's Giant Worm story.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:15 pm

The Pop Cult Gamer wrote:
Snowth Poogle wrote:I was thinking it was something like they heard rumors about the world being destroyed by alien worms or alien squirrels, or something like that.

Oh that's "War of the Worms" from Season 12. That episode was a bit out of character for Brain because he wasn't the type to believe Fern's Giant Worm story.
In "Arthur's First Sleepover" and the Halloween special (with the pranks) it was revealed Worms are Brain's biggest fear.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:17 pm

Huh! That explains why he got freaked out by worms when he thought they were Spaghetti?
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:12 pm

Actually, in "Arthur's First Sleepover," Brain said the movie NAVY VS. THE NIGHTWORM scared him when he was younger, and like PopCult mentioned, he did freak out when he found his spaghetti lunch was replaced with (gummi) worms, but it was never mentioned specifically in either of them that worms are his biggest fear. They could have been foreshadowing, though.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:11 pm

I guess certian topics would attract controversy and have parents writing letters and sending nasty emails etc. It happened on MLP when Derp was officially named Derp due to fans in season one referring to the lazy eyed rather slower minded pony. People as usual got offended that it openly made fun of the Disabled population. REALLY? A pony that is a little slow with a lazy eye? Does it matter??

So yeah, Arthur showing anything to do with drugs, molestation or homosexuality would cause an uproar in the G rated community. Remember its G. If the show were PG then yeah they would have the rights to. They should be able to anyway

What about a character whose father or mother was in prison?
On hey Arnold Ludwig did time in Juvie and thats a G rated show..??

Typical Fern, stirring again. I remember that episode.
She sure has a dark side..
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Once again, that was a subject that SESAME STREET did a special (not an episode, a separate special) on: a boy who received an invitation to a father-son social event, but he got upset that he couldn't go because his father's in prison. Yeah, they touched on children who have parents in prison, so if they could do it, ARTHUR problem could.

As far as ratings go, well, they're a little more complicated than that. A show like SESAME STREET or ARTHUR is rated TV-Y, because their target audience is younger children, so there's only so much they can do in a show that's for younger kids. A show like HEY ARNOLD! is TV-Y7, which is usually for kids aged seven and older, because they usually contain content that would be considered inappropriate on a show for younger kids, such as cartoon violence, comic mayhem, things that impressionable little kids might pick up and imitate. HEY ARNOLD! was a show that pushed boundaries and had bawls.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:56 pm

ArthurFrancineFan wrote:I guess certian topics would attract controversy and have parents writing letters and sending nasty emails etc. It happened on MLP when Derp was officially named Derp due to fans in season one referring to the lazy eyed rather slower minded pony. People as usual got offended that it openly made fun of the Disabled population. REALLY? A pony that is a little slow with a lazy eye? Does it matter??

So yeah, Arthur showing anything to do with drugs, molestation or homosexuality would cause an uproar in the G rated community. Remember its G. If the show were PG then yeah they would have the rights to. They should be able to anyway

What about a character whose father or mother was in prison?
On hey Arnold Ludwig did time in Juvie and thats a G rated show..??

Typical Fern, stirring again. I remember that episode.
She sure has a dark side..

I honestly think people wanted something to get offended by Derpy. They weren't doing it to make fun of autism or anything like that.

I remember now (I didn't think of it when I was writing the topic) there was a controversial episode of Postcards from Buster called "Sugartime!" Where Buster meets a married lebisan couple. Many PBS stations refused to air the episode because of it. The Drug thing I suggested was because Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue was a special about teaching kids the dangers of drugs. And I seriously just want to kick those idiots' asses who think they need to show molestation in Arthur. Those pigs should be thrown in jail.

Oh yeah, Ludwig got thrown in Juvenile Hall as revealed in "Hookey" and "New Bully On The Block."
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:20 am

I remember the Cartoon allstars Drug movie. They had the chipmunks, the Muppets and Bugs bunny, among others. It was good for the time. Supported by Ronald McDonald house if I am not mistaken?
Yes Ludwig is also meant to be older than a typical fifth grader which seems obvious, although I thought the idea of him punching Helga in the eye was rather off putting for a kids show.
That should have been PG but...Arthurs Big hit was G rated so I guess its okay then? Not that I condone it personally
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:42 am

ArthurFrancineFan wrote:I remember the Cartoon allstars Drug movie. They had the chipmunks, the Muppets and Bugs bunny, among others. It was good for the time. Supported by Ronald McDonald house if I am not mistaken?
Yes Ludwig is also meant to be older than a typical fifth grader which seems obvious, although I thought the idea of him punching Helga in the eye was rather off putting for a kids show.
That should have been PG but...Arthurs Big hit was G rated so I guess its okay then? Not that I condone it personally

I also noticed in that same scene, the animation when they got punched in the face was taken from Seasons 1 and 2's knockout scenes. It was stock footage which animators sometimes do (this was heavily done back in Hanna-Barbera's cartoons) to save money.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Actually, now that I think of it, SESAME STREET did mention drugs . . . and in one of their first episodes from 1969!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:Actually, now that I think of it, SESAME STREET did mention drugs . . . and in one of their first episodes from 1969!

Was PBS pissed about that?
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top