Shelter From the Storm

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shelter From the Storm

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:17 pm

So the momentous occasion has finally arrived, the long-awaited special episode "Shelter From the Storm" airs today; post your thoughts about it here.

Even though Arthur's current girly voice is hard to listen to, I'm still watching today since this episode is such a big deal, considering it's been revealed by sources that at least on character's home will be destroyed.

EDIT: Drat. I had errands to run this afternoon, and inspite of my deligent efforts to make it home before 4:00, traffic was extremely heavy and sluggish for some reason, and thus prevented me from getting home in time to catch it. I'll have to try YT later, or perhaps it'll be On Demand by the end of th week.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Shelter From the Storm

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:55 pm

I watched the episode just now. Here are my thoughts:

In the beginning when Ladonna talked about how she had hurricanes back in Louisiana. I thought of Hurricane Katrina. How it heavily destroyed and flooded New Orleans. Though since Arthur is now in modern times instead of the show taking place in the 90's like the first few seasons, Ladonna wouldn't have been born yet when Katrina happened.

When Brain was going through severe anxiety, it reminded me of my Sophmore year back in the 2009-2010 school year. I remember being so scared to leave the house and I would get panicked over everything. I actually remember sitting on the couch and watching "The Great MacGrady" everyday for a week when it first aired. I was actually getting so anxious that I was throwing up a lot. But eventually, I overcame all of it. Yeah, the first half of high school for me was not so easy.

The Brain's consular, Dr. Paula is really pretty. I love her green eyes (which seem a bit unusual compared to the show's art style.) And I love her hair. Jane Read, Ursa Merkles (W.D.'s mom), Rattle's Mom and now Dr. Paula. I have to admit, there is some pretty fine moms and a consular in Arthur!

It was also kinda of sad when Ladonna's dad, Rufus had to go to the river to help the people there. I also noticed the official real life U.S. Army logo on his uniform. I wonder how they were able to get that logo in there?
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:48 pm

I am going to wait until it comes on again to really get into it, since I think criticisms are much better after a second viewing. I will hypocritically say I wish Brain's dad had a larger role compared to Dr. Paula, the therapist.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WatteauMasterDetective on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:51 pm

God. No song from Menzel, but I had the sudden suspicion that she was going to mention Frozen at some point. You hearing this, Disney?

Overall, this was a great episode for season 18.
WatteauMasterDetective
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pokemonlover731 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:03 pm

In my opinion this is one of my favorite episodes

on a second note was it just me or did madison's voice sound different for some reason I don't know maybe it was just me but i swear she sounded different in messy dress mess.
pokemonlover731
Wheeler Dealer
Wheeler Dealer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Her actress is still probably trying to figure out what voice is best for the character.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:42 pm

Speaking of voice actors. I noticed Rattle's Mom sounded similar to Rukia Kuchiki from Bleach. I looked at the credits and it's not Michelle Ruff voicing his mom. The voice actress did work for the second half of the English version of Sailor Moon.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by WatteauMasterDetective on Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Michelle Ruff normally is part of a USA cast. All the Arthur regular cast are Canadian
WatteauMasterDetective
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pokemonlover731 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:28 pm

MatthewHecht wrote:Her actress is still probably trying to figure out what voice is best for the character.

Maybe
pokemonlover731
Wheeler Dealer
Wheeler Dealer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:58 pm

shelter from the storm is also on the PBS site like "So funny I forgot to laugh" was...
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.wm3.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:05 pm

So I finally saw "Shelter from the Storm" today, and it was more interesting than I thought it would be.

I have to say right off the bat that they kind of lied to us a little: one of the spoilers of the episode was that one of the main character's homes was going to be completely destroyed, but the worst damage any of their homes suffered was the first floor of the Crosswire mansion flooding. Of course, the entire front of Brain's ice cream parlor was damaged by a fallen tree, maybe that's what they were refering to.

Another thing, I know that apparently some school systems still go to school in June for whatever reason, but it's still really odd to see them in school in June.

So anyway, onto the episode, as I say, it was executed in a really interesting manner - each of the individual subplots served their purposes. I have to admit when I heard that Brain was going to have to see a therapist for his fears brought on by the storm, I was afraid this was going to be another example of how the characters are suddenly given problems they've never had before (like how he had apparently been held back in kindergarten for emotional reasons), but they actually handled it really by having him be fascinated with hurricanes, but only begin to fear their destruction after he sees the damage done to the ice cream parlor. That's actually very relatable: I've mentioned this before, but I have a fascination with tornadoes, and have since I was a kid: I often watch tornado documentaries on TV or storm chaser footage on YouTube, but I'm aware of how destructive they are, and even though I've never experienced a tornado firsthand, it's a hidden fear I have (and a recurring nightmare too) of facing a tornado barreling straight towards me or my home or loved ones and not being able to do anything about it. So the Brain subplot was handled much better than I thought it would be . . . though again, the Idina Menzel caricature was really creepy-looking (and the shoehorned FROZEN reference was, well, forced).

Ladonna's subplot was a good one: we finally got to see the immortal Rufus Compson, and Ladonna's lingering concern that her father will miss her birthday because of work is a relatable childhood problem a lot kids face whenever they have a parent who has to spend lengthy amounts of time away from home; I liked the little detail of Ladonna wanting to cancel her birthday altogether if Rufus wasn't able to attend, but I did like how Bud gathered the family and neighbors together to throw her a surprise party at the treehouse, and how Rufus even dropped by to say happy birthday. And wow, I actually forgot that Madison is really quite fine, the kind of sister ask about (y'know, like, "does she have a sister?") - we ought to have an appreciation thread for her too.

The Crosswire subplot took me by surprise, but I liked how it was executed as well: I was a little surprised that they opted to move into a shelter until their home was drained of flood waters - even though all the hotels were booked due to people being displaced by the hurricane (apparently even the swanky ones . . . I guess there's more wealth in Elwood City than I thought), I kind of figured the situation would have been similar to "Poor Muffy" where the entire Crosswire clan would stay with another family and have to adjust to their modest lifestyle, but I liked they went to a shelter and how Muffy was even able to strike up a friendship with another evacuee, who had apparently been there for quite some time and figured the place out. I'm not at all surprised they had their own generator that was able to power their entire mansion after their power went out the first time.

I guess that leaves Arthur's subplot, which actually felt like an afterthought to me: Arthur wanting to help reunite lost pets with their families was commendable, but the whole thread itself just feel like it was explored very well beyond seeing Arthur's concerned for the pets and launching a website to further help people find their pets. Although I know this is a concern that is faced by people with pets during extreme weather like this, the plot didn't really seem to contribute much to the episode as a whole.

It's also interesting that the format of this episode was shifted a little in that A Word From Us Kids was utilized at the end of the episode rather than in the middle.

So yeah, this episode was better than I thought it would be.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:30 pm

shits all like new orleans been r3ckt 0_0
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Salty on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:19 pm

I think this is the first time in an animation that I've seen a child attend therapy. Not a fun episode, but definitely interesting.
Salty
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:06 am

Salty wrote:I think this is the first time in an animation that I've seen a child attend therapy. Not a fun episode, but definitely interesting.

It's been done before. Fairly OddParents did it a couple of times, plus Animaniacs has a phyciatrist named Dr. Otto Scratchinsniff and the big stars of the show were considered "kids"..........

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:22 am

well i gone see one when im all lil girl an shit but IDK why im jus in class one time an tehy come say i gotta see one so whaever.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:19 am

Hey Arnold did it
Helga had a child psychiatrist
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:55 am

phoebe need 1 shit her pants on stage -_-
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:07 am

Lol she darted into a microphone but yeah she has issues too
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:21 am

gon be liek them fucken old peeps comen in looken all Mu$1L br4n an shit caus e they alway on makin a mess emself -_-
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:20 pm

good thing wally world carries depends, right?!
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:57 am

u need em we got em.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks, but hopefully I won't need incontinence briefs for another 40-50 years...
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue May 03, 2016 3:49 am

jussain.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile