April 9th airs today

View previous topic View next topic Go down

April 9th airs today

Post by Nope on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:03 pm

Well today's the day - the day the most un-Arthury episodes will air again.

I suppose the April 9th episodes are interesting, but they feel so out of place with the otherwise-cheery Arthurverse.
Regardless, it's vaguely unnerving to see the Arthurverse met with such a crisis that it requires two episodes to deal with instead of the usual one. I know it was meant to relate with kids whom have gone through some sort of life-changing event, but I still feel they missed the mark - the school is virtually the same by the end of the episode with no long-lasting signs of the episode's cause. Everyone is happy and back to their usual selves as if nothing happened, which is vaguely insulting to those who have gone through real-life trauma and know that things will never be the same again in many instances. I suppose anything deeper would have required a long-term retool of the show that the writers just weren't going to do - strict continuity is not something Arthur is known for.

Oh well, I'll watch it regardless.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: April 9th airs today

Post by BionicBunny on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:56 pm

This was their 9/11 response episode.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:04 pm

I've always heard that, though I felt it was more representative of any lower-scale traumatic event a kid might have to endure - in any instance, it starts in less than half an hour here.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:11 pm

I definitely took this one as a September 11th allegory, though I'm sure it can also apply to other smaller incidents in a very general way.  In addition to the show dealing with the post-9/11 fears and concerns that were prevalent at the time the episode aired (being afraid to go to work out of fear of being injured, learning to act bravely despite being afraid, etc.), here were a few specific connections that popped out at me:

-The title is similar in format, naming the catastrophe by the date of its occurrence.
-Perhaps most cryptically, the episode begins with Sue Ellen receiving a message from her friend in a foreign country.  Shortly thereafter, her diary documenting her relationships and adventures in foreign countries, postcards, etc. is destroyed.  The loss of her diary continues to be a major issue in throughout the show.  This can be taken symbolically as the United States receiving a "postcard" (a massive terrorist attack) from a one-time ally in the Soviet/Afghan War (Osama bin Laden), and the subsequent destruction of foreign relations (wars in multiple countries, inflamed Muslim/Western hatred, the breakdown of U.S. relations with Europe, etc.).

Now I'm inspired to watch this one over again and see if I can pick up any other subtle connections...  Smile
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:20 pm

It aired on our MPTV station - gave it a watch.

My views are basically as stated, though on a lower level ("coping with fear") it works okay, it just can't dig into the deeper stuff by nature - Mr. Morris' character passing is pretty much brushed off.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:26 pm

That's also a very accurate way of describing Mr. Morris's injury and exit from the show.  It's tantamount to him passing away without actually having him die.  He's injured, is in bad shape, Buster has to say goodbye, and then he disappears forever (fleeting background cameos notwithstanding).  Death is yet another common issue that children have to face during times of tragedy, whether broad scale like mass terrorist attacks and war, or lower level such as school fires, car crashes, and so on.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:45 pm

I suppose the underlying context would have made for a much more effective episode - it's just how lightly the entire fiasco is brushed off, that bothers me. No one thinks much, if at all, about the fire, much less Mr. Morris' departure (anti-canon aside). Everyone is back to their usual selves afterwards as if nothing happened - in real-life scenarios, not everyone is entirely back to normal despite achieving some air of recovery.

I know, I know - it's a kid show, it isn't that deep, kids don't think about these things much - but that didn't mean it was fine to just skimp out like that in my eyes. Plenty of adults watched the program as well, even back in the 1990s. Overall, I liked the idea of the episode but I think it could have been made into something better - even bringing the show as a whole up a notch. Then came the 8th season... oh well.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:09 am

Yeah, I see what you mean.  They at least could have mentioned it a few times throughout the season here and there to show how everyone was recouperating.  

Arthur: OH MY GOD, THE SCHOOL'S ON FIRE!!!
Muffy: Oh shut up!  Can't you see we're busy?
Arthur: WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!
Fern: Wow Muffy, I love your new bracelet!
Francine: I wish my Dad could afford to buy me one...
Arthur: WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIEEEEE!!! *cough, cough*
Muffy: SWAG!!!  queen
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top