What Happened to This Place?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Happened to This Place?

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:56 pm

I'm going to try to be as diplomatic about this as possible, as I know some of you here are pissed at me over recent events, but I've been here considerably longer than some of you, and have seen a lot of the evolution that's taken place here that I feel I have a right to speak my mind and say my peace if I feel the need to, and right now, frankly, I feel the need to.

You may have noticed that I haven't been active here as of late, it's because after the drama we've had here recently, I just needed a break from it all: I've been on too many forums that ended up with their fair share of unnecessary drama in the past that I simply didn't want to put up with it all over again. That doesn't mean I'm leaving for good like some members have decided to do, I just haven't been as active as I normally am. That said, during my little sabbatical, I'm noticing that I'm clearly not missing a lot around here, and quite honestly, it's prompting me to ask this question: what happened to this place?

I know we've always been, "A Most Peculiar Arthur Forum," it's something we've prided ourselves on: we never really take ourselves too seriously, we let our guard down, we goof-off, we let it all let loose, we blow off some steam, our moderation is very lax - it's the way we've always been. But it seems like in the last few months or so, that's been changing: from my observation, we've somehow gone from being that most peculiar Arthur forum to being a troll playground. We've always been an open and inclusive community, and that's all well and good, but frankly, it seems like the number of trolls we have around here are beginning to outnumber the number of legit members we have: just during my absence this past month or two, I'm seeing considerably less discussions of Arthur and other general topics, and an increase of incomprehensible posts, lewd content, meaningless responses, and I see not only has Jack and his sock puppets upped the ante around here, but seems to have become something of a folk hero around here.

Really, whenever I do get on as of late, it feels as if the trolls have virtually taken over the place: all I ever see is a blitzkrieg of nonsense, seems like just about the only actual discussion we've had here lately is the concern of having a rant section. From what I've been told, this is another reason why some people have left the Slums altogether: troll overtake; frankly, it's playing a factor in my diminished presence here as well (but again, I just really needed a break in general) - I kind of miss being able to see worthwhile new posts over a barage of k3yb0@rd $m@$#3d p0$+$, apricot pics, and pics and vids of lewd content.

Anyway, like I said, that's just my overall observation of what I've seen going on around here for quite a while. I supposed, at least, the lack of Arthur discussions probably stems from lack of discussion prompts: with the exception of Season 1 now airing again, and the recent confirmation that there will be Seasons 20 and 21, there hasn't been much stuff going on to actually discuss.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What Happened to This Place?

Post by Apricot Jack on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Apricot Jack
Peachmonger
Peachmonger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:37 pm

i want to say something but im not sure how to put anything out here safely. this is another delicate situation. okay, here goes; I like apricot jack and I like kerry, but I understand a bit where you are coming from. while I have enjoyed the random romps we've been having as of late, i also like talking about the show, making weird gifs about the show, and finding funny inside jokes in the show. we havent been doing that as often recently, but, as you pointed out, some of that comes from lack of new content. but that doesnt have to stop you or us. if you want to discuss more Arthur related stuff, please do. find buried threads or start new ones. maybe people will respond, maybe they wont. but come on, man. the problem here isnt trolls. its just the way the conversation is going right now. if you want to talk about arthur, here are some threads recently posted on: http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t536-personality-analysis-of-character-colors http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t1345-new-arthur-facebook-background http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t706p60-elwood-city-teens
if those arent your style, then make some topics that are! if you think we dont have enough legit members, then start introducing people to the forum and encourage others to do so!

also if you are annoyed by my rant suggestion that much, it isnt happening, remember? the reason i suggested it was because I thought it would fix the problem you're complaining about. i dont want to make an enemy, but frankly your reaction to my suggestion was more childish than ive ever seen from you.

you dont like how it is now, dont ban and dont complain, help post something worthwhile, and respond when others do, which has happened a bit more than you think.

i mean really, my rant idea was a while ago, it didnt make a very big impact compared to some other posts. I just found out the computer guy is a reference to the Space Odyssey movie! http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t1327p435-guess-that-bunny
Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:09 pm

Wild Starry Moony wrote:i want to say something but im not sure how to put anything out here safely. this is another delicate situation. okay, here goes; I like apricot jack and I like kerry
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:29 pm

Wild Star's pretty much summed it up.  I could post another extremely long response like I have in the past pointing out all sorts of wonderfully crazy, lewd and otherwise inappropriate conduct that we all engaged in back in the good old days like this...

http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t10-ferndalism#19
...or this...
http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t166-silly-holly#2384
...or this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIYSYUMj9r8
...or this...
http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t333-orion-s-shit-hut#4952
...or this...
http://elwoodcitycentral.createaforum.com/fan-creations/muffy-gets-real/msg2166/#msg2166

...to help illustrate how recent posts by members like Kerry, Arthur 2014 2, The Sonic Fanbase, etc. aren't fundamentally any different from how the Slums was in its Golden Era, but I just don't have the energy to keep doing this over and over and over, again.  If there's been an influx of silliness over the course of the past month, then good!  I find it amusing, and give it the official seal of approval.  If some members were too uptight to have a laugh and take a joke, then hell with them.  They can stay gone for all I care.  

As pointed out, it's not mutually exclusive from more serious and engaging show discussion, by any means.  When more detailed discussion does happen around here, it's by far more thoughtful, intelligent, meaningful and entertaining than most other Carl-infested Arthur communities could hope to muster...even if they were promised a free jigsaw puzzle.  Some of us just haven't really had the time or inspiration to post detailed topics recently, so we've just been kicking back, having a fun time and playing forum games (which are as active as ever) until something else comes up.  I find it a much more enjoyable alternative than having a complete lull in activity for a week or so in which nobody posts anything.

So come, embrace the madness.  I assure you, it isn't going anywhere.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PaigeTurner on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:52 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:troll

PaigeTurner
Peachmonger
Peachmonger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PaigeTurner on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:53 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:sock puppets

PaigeTurner
Peachmonger
Peachmonger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PaigeTurner on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:54 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:apricot pics

PaigeTurner
Peachmonger
Peachmonger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:01 am

^b33ber see that shit he be like OMG 2 MUCH FRUIT IM CALLEN THE COPS~!!! -_-
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:12 am

Apricots...puppets...

I couldn't resist. cherry
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:28 pm

BTW I think what apricot jack is saying up there is that he makes art, not trollfood.
Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Agreed.  I also take it as saying that he's just helping liven things up with a little color.  That's why his apricots are so amusing.  They're not just random stock photos.  They usually have something to say.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:50 pm

Really, Snowth… all you seem to do is come here to complain.

Trolls are a hallmark of this forum. From the beginning, we’ve had Kerry and Luigi, and they’ve had both of our admins’ approval. Even if the number has grown since then, I don’t see it as a problem. Without the trolls, I honestly don’t think the Slums would be what it is now; it’s helped shape the forum from the start. It’s just one of its quirks. Really, what is one troll against a million? It isn’t a factor that would heed discussion of the show so long as that is kept up by the level-headed members of the community, which it is, as Wild Star pointed out.

People leave the Slums because they don’t like this, they don’t like that....honestly, some of the complaints are so petty. No more ranting, no more LGBT discussion…really, this forum isn’t just about Arthur, even if it’s the main focus. Like I said before, it’s a safe haven for some members. The last thing we want is for this place to become restrictive like ECC was, just because of a few members that got out of hand. Pop Cult caused problems, but now he’s gone, and we haven’t had any major problems since then. The presence of a few harmless trolls is hardly anything to get worked up over compared to what we’ve had to deal with in the past. It’s entertainment. If you want to be uptight and boring, there’s always the Arthur Wiki and ECC. We make every effort to be the exact opposite of those communities and that’s been our mission from the start. It should be obvious by now.
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:40 pm

wb sis we been missen u~!!!

Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Yeah! When I saw the notification I was like, "yay! Meg posted!" Cousin Mo I agree with your post, btw. We are a weird, awesome place, and that won't change. Buster
Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pokemonlover731 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:58 pm

Tbh even though im still sort of new as far as I have been here there hasn't been any problems
pokemonlover731
Wheeler Dealer
Wheeler Dealer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:37 pm

I think it's just time for a great big community hug.  

Molly  Buster Arthur Maria  Binky  Cousin Mo  Ladonna  Marina  Watteau  Francine  Rattles  D.W.  prunella  Alex
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:24 pm

I hope its not the ponies Sad The slums needs ponies. Smile
Arthur approves of this notion.
Kerry has been on this forum a long time though too Snowth, she is a regular around these parts right?
Okay so I am not a long time member but still, I liked to think this was a welcoming place where you could post what was on your mind or laugh at the hilarious posts and vids.

As for THAT other forum filled with Carl and train lovers...which is a rather creepy list of obsessions considering they do not allow Swearing, any pictures or content that is PG and above or anything non G rated....

ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.wm3.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:00 pm

I agree with Moms. All we need is some ice cream and a hug!

Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PaigeTurner on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:25 pm

Wild Starry Moony wrote: ice cream

PaigeTurner
Peachmonger
Peachmonger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:50 pm

Agreed.  The ponies stay.  I know absolutely nothing of the series aside from what others post of it here, but I've come to find them a welcome mainstay.  As a side note, we might get a substantial traffic boost if we actually included a MLP sub-forum or turned it into a split-fandom site, since there's such a broad interest in the series here already and the MLP fanbase is so enormous.  It might be a great way for others to learn about and appreciate just how much Arthur has to offer to older fans, too.

But anyway, I consider both you and Kerry long-time members.  No question about it.  Even if you may not have joined up within the first few weeks of the Slums' inception, the fact that you've nearly exceeded my post count more than makes up for it.  

What always cracks me up about so many of these overly rigid "family friendly" homophobes is that, upon closer inspection, they wind up being legitimately creepy and quite dysfunctional...in a Jared Fogle kind of way.  We like to joke around in an R-rated, South Park fashion and appreciate swimsuit artwork here and there, but there's a stark contrast between that and, say, being fixated on writing stories about children's genitals or drawing preschool-quality pictures of little boys going to the bathroom. pale

http://willm3luvtrains.deviantart.com/art/Timmy-Turner-Urinating-in-Restroom-566674905

But, hey...hooray for ice cream!
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by pokemonlover731 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:51 am

I'll Get the ice cream

sadly im almost done with it
pokemonlover731
Wheeler Dealer
Wheeler Dealer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:16 am

A Lotta Moms wrote:Agreed.  The ponies stay.  I know absolutely nothing of the series aside from what others post of it here, but I've come to find them a welcome mainstay.  As a side note, we might get a substantial traffic boost if we actually included a MLP sub-forum or turned it into a split-fandom site, since there's such a broad interest in the series here already and the MLP fanbase is so enormous.  It might be a great way for others to learn about and appreciate just how much Arthur has to offer to older fans, too.

But anyway, I consider both you and Kerry long-time members.  No question about it.  Even if you may not have joined up within the first few weeks of the Slums' inception, the fact that you've nearly exceeded my post count more than makes up for it.  

What always cracks me up about so many of these overly rigid "family friendly" homophobes is that, upon closer inspection, they wind up being legitimately creepy and quite dysfunctional...in a Jared Fogle kind of way.  We like to joke around in an R-rated, South Park fashion and appreciate swimsuit artwork here and there, but there's a stark contrast between that and, say, being fixated on writing stories about children's genitals or drawing preschool-quality pictures of little boys going to the bathroom. pale

http://willm3luvtrains.deviantart.com/art/Timmy-Turner-Urinating-in-Restroom-566674905

But, hey...hooray for ice cream!

This is why the slums is so great ^-^
Acceptance and hilarity are the core values here.
The real trolls and I mean the rigid ones who freak out and post rants over one hundred times a day have been dealt with accordingly and we can appreciate the funny side of Arthur.
A sub category is a great idea for Bronies/Pegasister fans of MLP Razz Razz Razz Razz
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.wm3.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:05 am

goddamn pedo needs be locked the fuck up Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top