Season 17

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Season 17

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:02 pm

A topic for Season 17 discussion...and this:

Last edited by A Lotta Moms on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Season 17

Post by Rummy on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:22 am

To the Bathroom... best one yet1
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Best one ever.  
As far as the rest go, here are my thoughts on what I've watched thus far:

Speak Up Francine:

-Best moment :we finally see Ladonna's military side around 8:00 when she gets Ermey on Francine.  Well, minus the vulgarity.   She even stands at parade rest for a few moments and breaks out the bullhorn.  I know at least one other person here will really appreciate that.
-Muffy fail at 6:55.  Utterly owned with a silly pen trick.  Also notice at 4:32 when Muffy says, "I'll have you know the Crosswires are very green!"  her pronunciation of "green" sounds more like "greed."  I honestly don't think that was a coincidence.
-Wow...mass death around 2:20.  I didn't think they'd go so far as to show live footage from Fishshcwitz.
-Overall, I was pleasantly surprised.  It didn't seem anywhere near as heavy handed or preachy as I thought it would.    

Waiting for Snow:

-I admittedly had high hopes for this one, but was a bit disappointed.  D.W.'s character has really fizzled out.  It was sort of cute to see another reference to her snowball, but she had absolutely none of the usual fuss, sarcasm or precociousness that people love/hate her for.  I felt like I was watching a completely different character.  
-Ladonna was cute with her squealing and excitement to experience snow, although it seems like Arthur and Buster really went much too far out of their way to try and "make snow" for her.  It just didn't feel natural.
-Brain seems to have put on about 50 lbs.  
-Overall, aside from a few cute moments, there just didn't seem to be much to this one.  The best thing about it was Buster's jester-looking hat.  jocolor   
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Ladonna Compson:Distant Cousin of R.Lee Ermey.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:37 am

As much as I myself enjoyed Waiting for Snow, I'd enjoy it much more if Bud just listened to D.W and pelted his shot out sister with snow balls.

I noticed how much more campy the episodes has become, everyone's more silly than they used to be, which is a very welcoming change for me, I always loved the goofy undertones in a more serious setting, and just see both of them clash, like with brain's Blizzard rocket idea.

I still wonder How Buster would have drew Fern in framed, I think he might have made fern on the ass of car muffy, because of the bow, much to muff's disliking of course.
I mean who would want to have fern as an ass?

Anyway, I had fun with these episodes, they were pretty exciting to watch, that might be because I haven't seen them though, oh well, I'm hyped for the God given language, English version of Crime and Consequences, I'll definitely sit down and enjoy this one.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:48 am

Yeah, it does seem like things have become a little bit more zany and lighthearted this time around, more so than in Season 16, in fact.    

Framed

-This one's probably my favorite episode of the new batch, for the simple reason that we're once again reminded of how far gone Buster really is.  Those crazy alien portraits he's cranking out?  I honestly wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that's how he literally sees the world around him.
-I agree, that red bow's just gotta be Fern...kissing Muffy's bumper as usual.  queen
-I loved the photorealistic detail they used for Toulouse Lautrec.  It gave things a Monty Python/Terry Gilliam atmosphere, which is welcome in any situation.  Funny how they coincidentally (or not) made him so tiny, since he was only 4'6" in real life due to a disability that severely stunted his growth:

Pets and Pests

-As tempted as I was not to watch this one because I knew it was a talking Kate/Pal/Nemo episode, I was pleasantly surprised when Ladonna busted onto the scene halfway through with some shocking revelations.
-Judging from Ladonna's story about how she had an old tuna fish sandwich in her pocket but didn't notice the smell because her clothes smelled so bad anyway, it looks like we now officially have yet another character who can join the Not-So-Fresh Club.  Seriously, can you imagine how awful someone would have to smell in order to mask the odor of a rotting tuna fish sandwich?  pale 
-Perhaps most startling was General Higgins.  When asked if he knew the mouse who was infesting the Read house, his response: "Why of course not.  I am a WHITE rat...and I am the PROUD pet of Ladonna Compson!"  Read between the lines a little, and he's pretty much saying that: (1) He's white and proud; and (2) naturally, he doesn't associate with those darker-colored folks.  On top of this, he then proceeds to call the mouse, "boy," which I'm sure most of us know is considered derogatory when directed at African Americans.  Taken as a whole, this certainly seems like a case of thinly-veiled Confederate racism.  I found it amusing in an outrageous sort of way, though I can see it being potentially very offensive to both minorities and Southerners alike because of the negative stereotype it reinforces.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:31 am

There were already two Kate/Pal episodes...did we really need another? I'll soon have my revenge.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:30 pm

Its not tuna, she farted.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Ladonna, lean, green and smells kind of funny.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:04 pm

I always sort of suspected as much, given her overall unkempt, messy appearance and devil-may-care personality.
But I love her all the same.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:06 pm

I can just imagine how her messy hair smells.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:11 pm

I imagine she hasn't washed it since the Confederacy was dissolved.
She refuses to touch a drop of this fine land's water so as it's under Yankee control.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 pm

She does seem eager to indulge in yankee controlled snow though.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:20 pm

This was up in front of the Compson house for about an hour or so before Brain showed up with his portable kerosine heater.
After it was sufficiently puddled, he proceeded to set their house on fire.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:55 am

I really liked Caught In The Crosswires! Bailey took an unexpected level in badass when he splashed that bowl of orange juice onto the producer at the end. "That was NOT an accident."
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:23 am

Welcome aboard, GrebeWoman!   Smile   So glad you've joined our humble community.  By all means, make yourself at home and enjoy the many strange delights we have to offer.

Back to Caught in the Crosswires...

I agree, this was one great episode.  Now that I've finally had a chance to watch it in full, I can honestly say that it's one of the best episodes of the last few seasons.  On top of Bailey's orange juice attack, I loved his completely unenthusiastic, "huzzah," when everyone else was jumping up and down with excitement.  

Favorite moment: Buster taking the time to explain to Muffy how important it is for every show to have a villain; a character who everyone loves to hate...since that's been Muffy's function in the show from the very beginning.   queen
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:18 am

I loved all of the episodes with the exception of Pets and Pests, which I have yet to see.

My only issue with Speak Up Francine!... since when does Francine have trouble speaking up? Seems a bit out of character. I think it would have made more sense if they used Fern. Maybe even Jenna; give her something to do after all these seasons of inactivity.

Call me biased but Caught in the Crosswires was my favorite by far. Any episode that deals with Muffy and Bailey's relationship is automatically good IMO; it reminds me of Arthur and Hobson from Arthur (1981). BTW, did anyone else notice the Youraagh! scream in the music during Muffy's "BAILEY!!!" montage at the end? That should totally be Muffy's theme song.

On that note, why hasn't Ray Fabi put out a soundtrack of the show yet? It'd be one of the few albums I'd pay actual money for.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks for the welcome, Lotta Moms! I forgot about Bailey's huzzah response, I laughed out loud at that part. And I hope Francine was taking notes at Buster's explanation also (when you think about her in season 1 lol)

I agree about the slightly out of characterness in Speak Up Francine. And I say slightly because she did have a crowd/stage fright problem in It's Only Rock 'n Roll. I think the best choice for this episode could've been Sue Ellen; she's always struck me as that mix between activism/pro-environment and a little quiet/reserved - at least to the point where she would be hestitant to give a speech
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:23 am

Sue Ellen doesn't care much for the environment. Remember back in Arthur Cleans Up when she practically threatened to beat up Arthur because cleaning the park might make her miss a karate class? ("If you think I'm going to miss Wednesday afternoon karate to pick up trash, you're nuts!")

Ignoring that bit of continuity though, she would have been a good choice for Speak Up, Francine too.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Lotta Moms! I forgot about Bailey's huzzah response, I laughed out loud at that part. And I hope Francine was taking notes at Buster's explanation also (when you think about her in season 1 lol)

You're welcome!  Smile  Always glad to have new Arthur fans on board.  I'm just curious, but by any chance might you be related to GrebeGirl from Old ECC?  On Francine, definitely - I fondly remember her days as more of a villain, and honestly really miss her being more pushy and antagonistic.  Overall she's probably my favorite character (with Muffy and Molly as close seconds) due to her emotional complexity.

My only issue with Speak Up Francine!... since when does Francine have trouble speaking up? Seems a bit out of character. I think it would have made more sense if they used Fern. Maybe even Jenna; give her something to do after all these seasons of inactivity.

I know, it did seem strange for her, of all characters, to be sheepish when it comes to asserting herself in front of a crowd.  Fern would've definitely been perfect for the role, though anything involving poor Jenna would be more than welcome at this point.  I was actually starting to become somewhat attached to her.

Call me biased but Caught in the Crosswires was my favorite by far. Any episode that deals with Muffy and Bailey's relationship is automatically good IMO; it reminds me of Arthur and Hobson from Arthur (1981). BTW, did anyone else notice the Youraagh! scream in the music during Muffy's "BAILEY!!!" montage at the end? That should totally be Muffy's theme song.

For some reason, I was pretty sure you'd like this one. queen This might have actually been the most character development Bailey's had in the entire series.  The music during the Muffy montage definitely fits her bratty terror personality.  It's funny how the producer had to direct Muffy to be horrible, because Muffyzilla is pretty much how she acts most of the time anyway.    

It's a small but amusing detail, but notice how Ed's positioned so that he's about to fall off a sheer cliff in his Napoleon portrait?
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:43 pm

Pets and Pests turned out to be better than expected.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:05 pm

I rather enjoyed it, myself. Ladonna really saved the day.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Her and General Higgins both,an pet that deserves the right to speak on the show.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:46 pm

well i didn't like it, prolly cause we have rats and shit now since my Dad works all day so i have to get up and broom em all away.  least I start at Kroger next week...  king
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri May 09, 2014 8:46 am

Here's a little preview of Binky's Music Madness, fresh from Arthur's Facebook.
Since it's a Binkysode, I wonder if Molly & Crew will at least have minor speaking roles...
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top