Ghetto Arthur Memes / Arthur Spin-Off?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ghetto Arthur Memes / Arthur Spin-Off?

Post by CMSAB11 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:16 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/arthur-show-creators-lewd-memes-article-1.2738253

Countless memes have been created to modernize and sexualize the classic PBS cartoon that graced children's television screens 20 years ago and now the network behind the show is wishing that social media users would tone it down.

Thought this was an interesting article to share. I'm familiar with quite a few of these memes, and frankly, I don't understand the use of Arthur in the first place. It's so much more of an innocent show compared with other childrens' programming (not to mention vastly more intelligent) to be using it for such ghetto memes. Suspect

What's even more surprising...

http://cw39.com/2016/08/04/arthur-creator-to-make-adult-spin-off-after-edgy-memes-go-viral/

In fact, when Brown's son told him about the memes, he thought they were hilarious. (That is, after his son explained what a meme was). He liked the idea so much, Brown has begun working on a spin-off for Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network.

I'm not sure how valid this source is, but apparently Marc Brown is getting as much of a kick out of these memes as the majority of the internet is. I'm still letting the fact that he's working on an ADULT SPIN-OFF sink in, since he's always been about preserving the innocence of Arthur for generations. I guess now Arthur is finally allowed to grow up? Shocked
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ghetto Arthur Memes / Arthur Spin-Off?

Post by _Glaceon_VI on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:37 pm

(ᵒ̤̑ ₀̑ ᵒ̤̑)wow!*✰*Surprised while reading this tread* OMG CMSAB11 chan...I'd knew it this will be happen...(ᵒ̤̑ ₀̑ ᵒ̤̑)wow!*✰
_Glaceon_VI
ather imaginer
ather imaginer

Location : Francine Chan's bedroom full of ice cream. (ॢ◕ัڡ ◕ั ॢ)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:46 am

least br0wn know what time it is.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by _Glaceon_VI on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:03 am

(*゚ー゚)(*。_。)ウン *Nodding* Of course the creator of Arthur knew it, Kerry Chan. (*゚ー゚)(*。_。)ウン
_Glaceon_VI
ather imaginer
ather imaginer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:27 am

bro be doin some hard shit soon.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fudgy brown sludge on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:11 pm

they really give a lick? this is a free country. the author himself dosen't care so nobody else should.
fudgy brown sludge
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:54 pm

It's telling when even Marc Brown is getting a kick out of all of this. Razz
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:12 pm

b33ber read this shit he be all like OMG ARTHUR MCNA$TY IMMA CALL THE C0PS!!! >_<
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:19 pm

And, ironically, the cops would read the memes and get a kick out of them. Laughing
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:50 pm

then he tell his mom but she spank his dumbass for shit his fucken pants again.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:04 pm

this is a dream come true Arthur
Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:52 pm

As I finally manage to respond to this very important topic...

I really do hope that the news about Marc Brown appreciating a little lawless humor and being so inspired as to develop an adult spin-off is true and accurate.  In a way, I wouldn't be entirely surprised, since Brown has long been a vocal supporter of anti-censorship and free speech causes.  

I'm reminded of the ruckus over Eddie Murphy's hilarious SNL parody of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood back in the day, which essentially involved much of the same "ghetto" humor these memes do.  Jokes about crime, prostitution, drugs, unwanted pregnancies, etc.  Lots of uptight folks and concerned parents argued that it was inappropriate of him to apply that sort of humor to something that was fundamentally tame and aimed at children.  Ironically, and much to his credit, Mr. Rogers himself found the skit to be hilarious.  In fact, he went so far as to publicly defend it.  

Ultimately, while I respect the wishes of PBS Corporate, I respect our freedom of speech and right to create and enjoy transformative parody much, much more.  I personally wouldn't want a young child viewing some of the things we occasionally post here, but that's on parents to keep their children away from until they're a bit older.  We parody the show simply because we adore it.  I also suspect that position expressed by the spokesperson in question doesn't necessarily reflect that of everyone involved in the show's production, since some of our past interactions with crew members have involved joking around in a somewhat risque' manner about the show, its characters, etc.  

French Maid Fern, anyone? Wink
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:55 am

fuck em.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:41 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:As I finally manage to respond to this very important topic...

I really do hope that the news about Marc Brown appreciating a little lawless humor and being so inspired as to develop an adult spin-off is true and accurate.  In a way, I wouldn't be entirely surprised, since Brown has long been a vocal supporter of anti-censorship and free speech causes.  

I'm reminded of the ruckus over Eddie Murphy's hilarious SNL parody of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood back in the day, which essentially involved much of the same "ghetto" humor these memes do.  Jokes about crime, prostitution, drugs, unwanted pregnancies, etc.  Lots of uptight folks and concerned parents argued that it was inappropriate of him to apply that sort of humor to something that was fundamentally tame and aimed at children.  Ironically, and much to his credit, Mr. Rogers himself found the skit to be hilarious.  In fact, he went so far as to publicly defend it.  

Ultimately, while I respect the wishes of PBS Corporate, I respect our freedom of speech and right to create and enjoy transformative parody much, much more.  I personally wouldn't want a young child viewing some of the things we occasionally post here, but that's on parents to keep their children away from until they're a bit older.  We parody the show simply because we adore it.  I also suspect that position expressed by the spokesperson in question doesn't necessarily reflect that of everyone involved in the show's production, since some of our past interactions with crew members have involved joking around in a somewhat risque' manner about the show, its characters, etc.  

French Maid Fern, anyone? Wink

I sincerely hope so. I'll keep checking the news for any updates (as well as Marc's blog since he posts updates about his childrens' books and Arthur over there).

Definitely agreed; we joke around about a lot of mature/adult subjects on here, a lot of what we post is nothing a kid should be viewing. Just because Arthur is a "kid's show" does not mean we don't have the right to talk about it in a mature context. Even if I don't like some of these newer Arthur memes because the people who make them don't know much about the show and the jokes aren't all that funny, they still have every right to make them. That's just my opinion; not sure why Arthur suddenly exploded into memefodder because most people view it as more of an innocent show, whereas the more hardcore fans like us...well, some of us...we have a different perspective on things. Twisted Evil

Anyway, you're right...it's probably just PBS corporate being sticks in the mud again. The Arthur production team is, no doubt, on the same page with us. Wink
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:35 am

True too that some of the memes in question are just vulgar for vulgarity's sake, without the virtue of being witty at the same time.  I'd suspect that with any situation involving a production team of dozens (or hundreds) of individuals, you'd find a variety of positions on an issue like this.  Some may to find it amusing and harmless, others may find it inappropriate and offensive, and I'm sure there are some who just don't really care one way or another.

It's also worth pointing out that...

...the show wasn't always 110% family friendly, anyway.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:40 pm

Here's a legitimate Boston Magazine interview with Marc Brown that we came across earlier today:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-entertainment/blog/2016/10/07/marc-brown-20-years-arthur/

In addition to providing his thoughts on the course of the show, Marc makes it clear that the Arthur memes in question don't at all bother him and defends their existence on free speech grounds:

Q: So you don’t take any offense to the memes?

A: Things gets passed onto me from my granddaughters, from Buzzfeed and whatever. It’s a free world out there. I believe in freedom of speech. It doesn’t bother me.

Again, I'm not at all surprised.  This is very important for us here at the Slums, since we've always been a free speech community that occasionally involves more teenage/adult-oriented humor and fair use parody.  It's reassuring to know that the father of the Arthurverse himself supports our mission. Smile
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by _Glaceon_VI on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Marc Brown Sensei, the father of Arthurverse himself have created one of the greatest children anime series ever which it's Arthur television series~!

_Glaceon_VI
ather imaginer
ather imaginer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:11 am

|3r0wn run this shit.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top