Crazy ideas: Muffy and Fern are in love

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crazy ideas: Muffy and Fern are in love

Post by Roabe on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:42 pm

(Before I begin, I'd like to mention I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Fern's forum since this is relevant to both, but I posted it here in case it got too off topic)

When it comes to slash shipping, some in the fandom like to pair up Fern with Sue Ellen. Others Muffy and Francine.  Me, I'm a supporter of Muffern. It may be that I'm just biased towards it because they're both my favorite characters, but I've come to notice a few subtle hints of romance between the two in a few episodes...

Sharing popcorn at the movies ("Phony Fern"):

Braiding Muffy's hair ("The 'A' Team"):

HUGGING!!! ("No Acting, Please"):

There's no denying it. The evidence is there.

I believe this relationship had its roots in "Desk Wars," when the two create a dust ruffle together. Even as the rest of the classroom exploded into full-scale war, pitting friend against friend, Muffy and Fern maintained their alliance. Francine may have destroyed their dust ruffle (out of jealousy?), but nothing would destroy the bond created between them that day!

I also think Muffy is the one who's been supplying Fern with all of those elaborate vintage costumes for her Sherlock/Poirot roleplaying. It's definitely not Mrs. Walters, who thinks detective stuff is 'silly.' Muffy would be more than happy to help Fern engage in lots of activities her mother doesn't approve of.

Other slum dwellers may not approve of their love, but I'm just showing my support.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crazy ideas: Muffy and Fern are in love

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:36 pm

Wow, keen observations!

I have to admit, it really does look like there's some sort of friendship/attraction between them that's never really discussed outright in the show.  Notice Francine in the "A Team" shot, most likely looking on in worry and jealousy.  It's not the first time Francine has shows unjustified surprise and frustration when Muffy's been interested in someone else.

That hug shot is just too sweet for words.  You can practically feel the love flowing from puppy to monkey, monkey to puppy, and back again.  

One of my absolute favorite things to discuss about Arthur is the subtle stuff that usually flies under the radar, because it can be so strange and revealing.  I'll have to keep an eye out for any other Muffern moments as I re-watch the seasons for the umpteenth time this weekend.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:45 am

For years I was already aware of the popcorn sharing in "Phony Fern", but the hug in "No Acting, Please" was just icing on the cake when I first saw it.  I don't think Francine and Muffy ever did that in the entire run of the series, and they're supposed to be the super BFFs. Needless to say, I definitely had an obnoxious fangirl moment when I saw it.

Even if it's not anything romantic, those two being friends has a lot of interesting potential in spite of their vast differences.  And as shown, they get along well and they aren't as volatile towards each other as, say, Francine and Muffy.  I hope the new episodes keep on it.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:02 am

What makes it even more strange and interesting is the fact that Fern is normally not a very friendly or intimate person, by any means.  The only episode that was devoted mostly just to them was Fernlets by Fern, and it wasn't anything particularly friendly, intimate or special.  It actually ended rather badly, with Muffy characteristically trying to take advantage of Fern's talent to turn a profit.  Apparently something special happened between them at a later time that made amends.

There's another scene Rummy alerted me to where Fern has her arm around Jenna's shoulder in a background shot that gave off similar vibrations. I believe it was in Muffy Takes the Wheel.  It's sort of like Fern has a secret touchy-feely side that she only shows to select few characters.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:13 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about that episode. Maybe their potential relationship has some bumps after all, or like you said, FBF takes place before any intimacy between them developed. The series is definitely not in chronological order.

The episode does end with the two creating craft projects for fun and not profit. Perhaps they work on the dust ruffle from Desk Wars not long after, and things between them develop from then on.

I noticed Fern and Jenna too. Fern was patting Jenna on the shoulder, rather robotically I might add. Maybe it was the poor Flash animation, or Fern like you said has no idea how to be close to anyone so she's being awkward. Or maybe she was just mocking Jenna for some reason.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:15 am

Incidentally, I just re-watched Fernlets and was reminded of their truce in the end.  

I also noticed that Muffy's really a very talented artist for her age, although this talent isn't really explored in any other episodes.  Sharing creative talent is a great basis for a close friendship, and can lead to something deeper.  It probably creates the sense that they're dealing with another rare soul who shares a special gift that's beyond the grasp of all the other common folk.  On that note, I'm sure they enjoy having yet another excuse to look down on everyone else.  Cool     

Yeah, the Jenna arm pat was pretty strange.  With Fern, I'm never 100% sure just what's going on in that eggplant-shaped head of hers.  
So many hidden motives safely tucked away...
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:40 am

As Fern is lovingly braiding Muffy's hair, her eyes bulge out in extreme ecstasy and she gently pulls Muffy's pony tail closer to her nose, inhales the scent of cheap shampoo deeply and lets out a huge sigh.

Followed by Fern excreting bubbles from every orifice including her Fernybum.

Last edited by Rummy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bubbles)
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:28 am

*cough*
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:57 am

Fern's taking the relationship one step further. Muffy seems to be enjoying it nonetheless.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:59 am

Next thing you know, Fern will greet Muffler with two hands.
Then all hell might break loose.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:01 am

Speaking of that ruffle they made together...   Smile 
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Something else I noticed: in "Phony Fern" when Muffy is selecting a ringtone for Fern's cell, she immediately chooses the theme song to Fern's favourite TV series. That's rather significant when you consider that Fern doesn't usually share her interests with others, and that Muffy is usually portrayed as not knowing what her friends like.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:07 am

That's another keen observation that hadn't popped out to me at first.  Overall, Muffy was more helpful to Fern in that episode than she normally is to others.  Even when she is being seemingly helpful, she's usually looking to make a profit or promote herself in the process.  This happens much of the time even with her BFF, Francine.  Here, her intentions toward Fern seemed to be more genuine.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Muffy went as Far as to send Fern naughty pictures of her freshly manicured toes. Fern's truly in Muffy's good graces, and she knew Fern loved things with odor, so she threw the doggy a bone and satisfied her.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:11 pm

She can only hope that one day after braiding Muffy's hair and carrying her lunchboxfor the umpteenth time, she'll be so gracious as to throw her the holy grail and let her borrow one of Francine's gym socks for five whole minutes.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:37 pm

Totally checking out Fern as she does her thang on stage ("Elwood City Turns 100")...
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Dem wings!
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Ha! I'd love to see a love triangle between Francine,Muffy,and Fern one day.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:44 pm

You can just see the longing in her eyes...
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Reviving one of my old topics! I noticed this while watching "The Case of the Girl With the Long Face"...

During the flashback of Fern and Muffy's argument over Fern's new lavender bow, it looked like Francine pointed the bow out to Muffy. I found that a bit peculiar because normally, Francine couldn't care less what somebody is wearing. She obviously knew Muffy would negatively react to it, that it would create a rift between her and Fern.

I think Francine, out of jealousy, was trying to drive a wedge between the two by getting to them to fight. That, or she's just a troll stirring up some schoolyard drama.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Yet another keen observation - I'm definitely going with the more insidious option on part of Francine.  Based on the worrysome look she shot at Muffy while Fern was braiding her hair on the bleachers, I think her true feelings are quite clear.

I'm glad to see this wonderful topic revived.  queen   I've been thinking about reviving the "Francine Frensky: Lesbian" topic soon too, since I've managed to gather some more evidence from a few of the obscure Postcards From Buster episodes I've been watching lately.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by 1ToughCustomer on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:37 pm

This is a rather adorable pairing that I'll have to keep my eye on, I like it! While I'm not quite as much into MLP it makes me think of those who ship Rarity with Fluttershy.

Muffy must be supplying Fern with all of those costumes. I mean really, who else would it be?
1ToughCustomer
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxime on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:25 am

whoa hey. i never really thought of this but these are some nice points and i am always down for some lesbians. consider me on board with the ship
Maxime
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:48 pm

I always assumed Fern made the Watteau costume, but Muffy buying it makes more sense. I also noticed that Fern apparently watches Muffy's desk during recess based off the episode "Love Notes for Muffy." That has to play into this thread in other ways.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:20 pm

they thr0wd0wn. 33t a$$ prolly
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile