My yet unpublished tribute to Arthur fans

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My yet unpublished tribute to Arthur fans

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:28 pm

Ive been working on a book for the past few months - it's pretty much finished, but I'm still filing on it.

Set between July 1998 and September 2000, Joseph Velneks is a Latvian-American teenager from North Carolina...who is an Arthur, as is his best friend Jerry.

Naturally, being dedicated to Arthur fans, there are several direct references to the series:

Joseph sleeps - aside from Karen, his stuffed kangaroo - with a 1997 Eden Buster plush that he got "last Christmas" (December 1997)

"Joseph loved spinach, and couldn't understand why so many kids - including Camilla - hated it. "I won't eat it," she said and winked at Joseph. Thundering her fist on the table, she exclaimed "I...hate...spinach!"'

And my favorite part - Moms will like it:

"That night, he had a strange dream....
He was in Elwood City, the setting for Arthur, pulling up to a large university building in an old VAZ 2101 (a 21011 to be exact) with an American license plate mounted over the original Latvian one. Molly MacDonald, his favorite character, was sitting next to him.
"What kind of punk bands are there in Latvia?" she asked as Screeching Weasel's "Your Morality" played on his radio.
"Latvian punk isn't all that good," Joseph replied. "Most bands sing play the guitar too loud and the singers sing too hoarse and quiet - PND is good though. We can listen to their tapes later on today."
Joseph glanced at the inside mirror - he was a sable with a curly crop of brown hair nestled between his ears.
After getting out, Sable-Joseph opened up the trunk. Molly got her skateboard out, Sable-Joseph his double bass and they walked into the building. "Thanks for the ride, Joseph!" Molly said as she got out. "Hey, did you see Miss Turner's new car?"
"As a matter of fact, I didn't." Sable-Joseph heard a smooth in-line six-cylinder and turned around to see a magnificent maroon touring car with wooden spoke wheels and whitewall tires pull into the parking lot. The huge door swung open - stopped by the side-mounted spare tire - and Paige Turner stepped out. "I feel like Jay Gatsby in F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby!"
"Nice car, Miss Turner!" said Fern.
"What kind of car is that?" Maria asked. (OMG MARIA TALKED! SOMEONE CALL BITZI!!)
"As a matter of fact," Mrs. Turner stated, "it's a 1924 Paige Model 6-70 Four Passenger Phaeton. Not only do I get to share my name with this automotive work of art, but people will also instantly see whose car this is!"
"Anyways," Molly continued. "what I wanted to ask you was if wanted to join the Tough Customers?"
"Oh please," Sable-Joseph said, rolling his eyes. "I'm not walking around with your posse acting like a big shot, menacing anyone coming my way."
(This was dreamt in June 2000, thirteen years before The Last Tough Customer aired)
"That was in elementary school," Molly said sharply. "This is college. We're still the Tough Customers, but now we're just a bunch of tough guys and gals who harm only those who dare to act hostile towards us. So think it over."
"Actually," Sable-Joseph said. "Now that you say it, why not! I'm a Latvian after all, and *abridged/edited due to too patriotic scene* Latvians never back down from a fight! I can prove it to you today - I got a martial arts competition with Sue Ellen this afternoon!"
"Great!" Molly exclaimed. "See you then!"
"Hello, Buster," Sable-Joseph as he approached the rabbit. "Ready for the first day of college?"
As usual, Buster's response was "I hope they have a buffet!"
"Hi, Joseph!" a familiar voice exclaimed. Sable-Joseph turned around to see a skunk with Jerry's haircut and voice wave at him as he passed him.
"Hi, Joseph!" what was unmistakeably his girlfriend's voice said. Sable-Joseph turned again and saw a gray cat with freckles and long black hair - a cross between Jenna Szalinski and Jenna Morgan. "Jenna!" Sable-Joseph exclaimed. "What are you doing in my dream? You're not an Arthur fan!"
"But," Sable-Joseph heard himself saying. "why am I a sable? What's happening? Where, why, what..."
"HELLO EVERYONE!" a high voice exclaimed. Sable-Joseph glanced towards the door - and gulped. Mary Alice "Muffy" Crosswire was heading towards them. "Daddy just gave me my first car!" she announced proudly. "Remember, run, don't walk, to Cro..."
"We know," Sable-Joseph snorted. "Isn't it time your father found a new slogan to scrupulously sell his used cars?"
Then the PA chimes from his old high school sounded, and a woman's voice sounded through the loudspeaker. "All students, please report to the soccer field for the welcoming speech."
"Let's go!" Sable-Joseph urged.
At the field, everyone sat in metal lawn chairs behind the dean, who was a cat and giving a speech. Next to Sable-Joseph, Buster was loudly stuffing his face with chocolate bars from a box on his lap. He had various food and drink stains all over his shirt, and a chocolate beard around his mouth. "Oh, Buster," Sable-Joseph giggled.
The dean didn't seem to be saying a word, though. Sable-Joseph glanced into the bleachers for his family, and sure enough, they were sables.
The Feldheimers - Tina, Travis and Jerry - were all skunks, too. Sable-Camilla was dressed like D.W., Sable-Arturs looked like a pimp with his "FAULT" (Gap parody) sweater and jogging pants, while Sable-Sandra wasn't paying any attention to the speech, instead she was talking to Bitzi. She was probably telling her about how she was the editor of a newspaper - that is, Brīvība - as well.
Out of nowhere, the dean's words echoed loudly over the field: "...therefore, we would like to welcome our new students. To your dormitories, everyone!"
The scene then changed to a gym. Everyone was watching as Sable-Joseph, in his white and blue taekwondo attire, fought it out against karate buff Sue Ellen Armstrong and belting out taekwondo move names with a heavy Korean accent. On the wall, the flags of Latvia and the US were draped vertically. With one final kick, he knocked the cat to the floor, and the audience cheered as Sable-Joseph triumphantly stemmed his hands on his sides. Later, he walked out in the crowd with Molly. "You see?" he said. "I told you I'd be tough!"
Molly smiled. "I can see that...You're in!"
"Great! By the way, I'm playing in the school band as well," Sable-Joseph continued. "I play the double bass, but as you don't play an instrument, I'm afraid you can't come this afternoon. But do tell the others I joined their cause!"
"I will!" The scene transitioned wavily, the organ piece played, and before he knew it, Sable-Joseph was in the auditorium with all the former school band members, sitting at his double bass playing Ode To Joy so the music teacher - a rabbit - could hear his scales. He looked behind him, and sure enough, Skunk-Jerry was there, nasaling away on his serpent. Next to Sable-Joseph, Buster was playing the Tiger Rag on his tuba. Another wrong note on his bass; Sable-Joseph was getting agitated.
"Buster, I can't concentrate! You know how hard a piece Henze's Double Bass Concerto is?"
"Why don't you start with something easier then?" Buster asked as he stuffed a mute into the bell of his instrument.
"This is college! You don't 'start with something easier' you had time to do that at Lakewood and in middle and high school!"
"Baxter!" the music teacher exclaimed. "Czardas!"
"Oooh, you're in for it," Sable-Joseph said. "That's one of the hardest tuba solos I know!"
Buster ignored him and started playing.
"Velneks!" the teacher said when Buster finished. "I'd like to hear Dievs, svētī Latviju! from you!"
"Y-yes sir!" Sable-Joseph sputtered and began playing.
The scene transitioned again, to a lawn where Molly was introducing Sable-Joseph to her fellow Tough Customers. "Binky, Rattles and...Slink."
Sable-Joseph started to laugh, showing his powerful sharp teeth.
"Hey, what's so funny?" Rattles demanded.
"Slink," Sable-Joseph continued, still laughing, "your name means 'lazy' in Latvian!"
Slink grabbed Sable-Joseph by the collar of his shirt and lifted him up. Sable-Joseph was unable to see his eyes due to a large pale brown fringe (he wore his hair in a similar style as Molly) but he could tell he was pissed. "Listen," he growled. "I don't appreciate being made fun of! You wanna see how lazy my fists are?!"
"Hey, put him down!" Molly said.
"Hey, put me down!" Sable-Joseph said at the same time.
Slink dropped him, and he fell unsoftly onto the grass. "J...just a joke," Sable-Joseph said subduedly. "Hehe..."
The camera panned to various angles of him walking with the Tough Customers, and the scene transitioned yet again, to Sable-Joseph's dormitory, where he was studying the list of roommates when Buster walked in. "Hi! Arthur got paired with Francine, so I'm gonna be your..."
"I know, I know," Sable-Joseph interrupted.
"Did you say goodbye to your parents?" Buster asked. "I've just said goodbye to my mom!"
"Uh...yeah!" Sable-Joseph uttered.
At that moment, Sable-Joseph woke up and became human again."

The accompanying illustration I drew of Joseph waking up is directly modeled off the final picture from "Arthur's Underwear" (the book)

The next day, Joseph found out about a new website named "Deviantart" and immediately registered on the site as "LettsDoIt." (which is my Deviantart account, you should be able to find the following picture there) He was a skilled artist, and couldn't wait to show the world his artworks that he'd been working on since the mid-90s. The first picture he uploaded dated back to 1999, and was uploaded on August 7, 2000 at 11:35 AM PDT. It was titled No, You Copied MY Style! and depicted Shermie from The King of Fighters and Molly from Arthur encountering each other on the street and highlighting their near-identical haircuts.; in the lower right corner, Joseph had signed his artwork with "Velneks '99."

"Will you be still be watching Arthur after you go to college?" Camilla asked. It was September 4, 2000, and he was watching the Season 5 premiere of the series with his sister.
"'Course," Joseph answered. "Me and Jerry are gonna watch it as long as it runs."
"Who's Jerry's favorite character?" Camilla asked.
"He likes Buster best," Joseph replied, "because he thinks he can relate to him."
"Oh," Camilla said. "So Jerry does nothing but eat and sleep, neglects his schoolwork down to the last minute and keeps on having crazy alien theories?"
"That's not really what I meant...And he likes Francine too. As for me," he continued, "I favor Molly, as you know. Buster's my second-favorite, though. He's so ridiculously unintentionally funny!"

On his way to college, Joseph sings an abridged version of The Ballad Of Buster Baxter.

When Joseph arrives at college with his Model T, Jerry asks: "The heck's that? The Baxtermobile?" (because it's so dirty and unrestored)

Joseph's punk band, Anthro Kangaroos (lame name, I know) is stated to have done covers of "Nothing But The Music" and Fern's version of "Silent Night".

"Well, how about this one? Who let the dogs out? Wo-"
Joseph punched his arm. "And that one too! That one's even worse!"
"Hey," Jerry said, clutching his arm, "why'd you have to hit me?"
"I told you not to touch it!" Joseph growled playfully
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My yet unpublished tribute to Arthur fans

Post by _Glaceon_VI on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:46 pm

Bravo...it's an such an great story & keep it up, Newfie Kun~!(*ฅ́˘ฅ̀*)
_Glaceon_VI
ather imaginer
ather imaginer

Location : Francine Chan's bedroom full of ice cream. (ॢ◕ัڡ ◕ั ॢ)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:22 pm

Joseph, you make my dreams come true.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by _Glaceon_VI on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:30 pm

We the slumsters will give ya an award for ya making such an great story, Joseph Kun~!Congratulations!!★(*^-゚)⌒☆Wink!
_Glaceon_VI
ather imaginer
ather imaginer

Location : Francine Chan's bedroom full of ice cream. (ॢ◕ัڡ ◕ั ॢ)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:07 am

I made some other stories as well, but you wouldn't want to hear them - they're just all facts and no story. Brain would've loved them.
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:45 am

Sable-Joseph confronting Slink - Sorry for potato quality, I had to use my iPod touch's crappy cam, as that thing - unlike my phone - isn't too new for my computer. Had I used my phone, it would have required a lot of email sending back and forth and uploading from my parents' computer.

http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0010.jpg

Slink was way harder to draw than he looks - I recall starting with his face and THEN drawing his hair (which became the source of my problems. But as you can see, I eventually managed it.
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 am

Some more eye candy for you guys Smile
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0011.jpg
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0012.jpg
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0013.jpg
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0014.jpg
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0015.jpg
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0016.jpg
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0017.jpg
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0018.jpg
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0019.jpg
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0020.jpg
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/img_0021.jpg
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:21 pm

And in case you were wondering what I was doing tonight...
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/image11.jpg
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Apricot Jack on Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:49 pm

Apricot Jack
Peachmonger
Peachmonger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:27 am

Yeah, so? It's about the median price of apricots in euros per 100kg in France and Turkey from 2012 to 2014. Just because it's German?
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:14 pm

Anyways, I tried photographing "Paige's Paige" again so you could read what the characters are saying: http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/19/53/84/48/image12.jpg
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:57 pm

I hope you'll get it publish soon, since I'm from North Carolina and he lives in my home state I must read the Book! Cool
Buster & Molly Lover
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:52 am

It's pretty much complete - I only need to make a few minor tweaks and then it's finished. My uncle already showed it to some friends from New York and they loved it. He said New Yorkers love that kind of stuff, and, in Buster's words, it "could be a big hit".
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:33 am

Surprisingly, several users here are from NC (or lived there at some point in our lives), making the parody all the amusing.  It's like I've always said, if you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?  

Besides other, less fortunate people...Twisted Evil
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:05 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:Surprisingly, several users here are from NC (or lived there at some point in our lives), making the parody all the amusing.  It's like I've always said, if you can't laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at?  

Besides other, less fortunate people...Twisted Evil

Maybe It's because NC has that famous Light House! Cool
Buster & Molly Lover
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:51 am

The Bodie Lighthouse, I believe, is the most famous in the state.  I've only visited it once due to having lived further inland.  In fact, NC seems to be lighthouse central:

https://www.visitnc.com/story/coastal-lighthouses

More than enough to go around.  The Appalachians and rugged outdoor areas are also a big selling point for tourists and incoming residents...if you don't mind the local wildlife, that is:

A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:42 am

Well, Joseph lives on the Atlantic coast - New Bern, the home of Pepsi...
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:15 am

do one bout me bro.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:44 pm

You know yourself best, so maybe you should write it. Smile

Anyways, here's what it'd be like if Joseph were a real Arthur char:
Species: sable
Nationality: Estonian (It'd be a change like turning the Tibbles from humans into bears for the TV series)
Favorite color: Deep forest green
Deficit: Hailing from an ex-communist country and having mixed feelings about it.
Best friends: Any bunneh! Most notably Molly (they both like punk) Ladonna (they are desk neighbors and share stories about their former homes) but also Buster, Maria and Alex. He doesn't notice Arthur that much.
Likes: His collection of Russian and Estonian Bionic Bunny comics, punk rock (but also the cover band Meie Mees)
Favorite joke: What's black and white and blue all over?
Someone caught in the Estonian flag!
Facts: Plays the double bass and wears elegant shoes, like Fern or Binky have (not the usual two-lace sneakers like Francine, Buster, Arthur and I think the Brain too)
Catchphrase: "Issand jumal!" (Ea-sawnd you-mall, Estonian for "Oh my gosh!" and comparable to Ladonna's "Sweet petunia!")
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:04 am

well im sorry im all dumb an shit so errything im try writin turn out all b0rked. Crying or Very sad
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:17 pm

Here's an extremely subtle reference in the accompanying artwork I drew!

ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:02 pm

Definitely seeing the resemblance, only minus the unintentionally terrifying eyes. Seriously, that shot of Buster's nightmare is enough to give me a nightmare.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:45 pm

And for reference, there's his Eden Buster plush next to Karen, his faithful plush kangaroo.

What gives ME nightmares is Francine's scowl in "Arthur's Eyes" (the book) and Ratburn's staring contest with Arthur in Arthur's TV Trouble.
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:41 am

Buster all undies an shit.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:30 am

I finally began working on the sequel (prequel actually) yesterday!
Set between January 1997 and July 1998 - so far no Arthur scenes except the one where Joseph convinces Jerry that Arthur is an awesome show by inviting him over to his (Joseph's) house to watch the "new episode" Meek for a Week/Arthur, World's Greatest Gleeper. (I use the Wikipedia air dates rather than the Arthur Wiki ones)
ZeGermanArthurFan
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top