Bailey's Background . . . What's His Story?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bailey's Background . . . What's His Story?

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:07 pm

I don't know why, but for some reason, I got to thinking about some of the passing comments Bailey has made over the years, and it's really gotten me curious as to just what kind of a life and background he's got under his name.

For example, in "Caught in the Crosswires," Bailey insists to J-CUBE that he's only ever been employed by the kindest, most generous and gracious of households. So, is being a butler the only way Bailey has made a living for himself? And just exactly how many wealthy families have employed him in the past if he's worked for more than just the Crosswires?

It's interesting reading on Arthur Wiki that he apparently doesn't even mind at all being a butler, and that the one thing he likes the most about the job is that it's not even dull . . . gotta respect that optimism; I don't know exactly how accurate the lives of butlers, maids, servants, et al are, but usually when you see them depicted in fiction, they're secretly miserable and sinister underneath their grinning facades because they hate their lives, and would rather knock off their masters to get their hands on their fortune and live the good life for themselves for a change.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bailey's Background . . . What's His Story?

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:43 am

Though we haven't exactly given him the most dignified treatment in the past, Bailey is potentially a very intriguing character.  It's fitting that he's a greyhound as well, since they're known to be very passive and gentle breeds...much like a loyal butler who accepts frequent indignities and continues on in stride.  It probably also helps with the occasional feat of superhuman athleticism he has to pull off (like diving into rapids to retrieve random junk Muffy dropped overboard).  

Gotta wonder about his past employment, too.  He seems adept enough at his job that I would be surprised if he's done it for all of his working life.  Butler salaries are all over the board, but some can easily make upper-middle class incomes with enough experience.  It's sort of ironic, because we don't normally picture a "professional servant" earning as much as (or more than) an engineer or attorney, but I suppose it's a good insurance policy for retaining them.  Throw in the fact that many also get free room and board (in very upscale homes), and I can see why this could be an appealing lifelong profession for someone with the right temperament.

I think that Caught in the Crosswires was easily one of Bailey's best episodes in way of character development, just in demonstrating how he was sort of a surrogate father to Muffy at times, and in some ways more important than Ed.  Ed gives her whatever she wants, but really isn't there to care for her or give her constructive criticism.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is very much the case in some households where parents are constantly swamped with 80+ hour work weeks, and housekeepers/butlers/nannies are the ones who are truly in charge of raising their children and teaching them life lessons.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:20 pm

Another amusing little nugget is from "The Friend Who Wasn't There," in which the basement at the Crosswire mansion is essentially a museum archive of all of the things associated with Muffy's life from birth up until her current age of eight, to which Bailey remarks in an ever-so-slightly-harried way that it took him most of his thirties to do.

Something else I forgot to bring up, too, is that clearly Bailey is also creative and clever, as we saw in all of the sculptures he managed to build for Muffy's art exhibit - in his own words, they may not have been kinetic, but they were interactive - even Arthur Ganson was impressed.

And I think I can go along with him specifically being a greyhound: all tall and lanky, much like the actual breed itself (similar to how the Compsons are probably hares, rather than bunnehs).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:14 am

shits still sad cause ey treat him like a$$.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Dracula on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:50 am

Count Dracula
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:55 pm

Interesting regarding Bailey's creativity.  It's sort of like he's necessarily required to be a superhuman (or supercanine) so he can do every imaginable thing in Muffy's place as best as it could possibly be done, since we all know that Muffy's capable of accomplishing practically nothing.  Regarding his lanky proportions, agreed...too bad they exceeded the Elwood City Forest Service's altitude guidelines, though.
A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Francine Frensky on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:25 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:Interesting regarding Bailey's creativity.  It's sort of like he's necessarily required to be a superhuman (or supercanine) so he can do every imaginable thing in Muffy's place as best as it could possibly be done, since we all know that Muffy's capable of accomplishing practically nothing.  Regarding his lanky proportions, agreed...too bad they exceeded the Elwood City Forest Service's altitude guidelines, though.
Now just wait a minute, Mister Bigshot. I'll have you know that Muffy's come a LONG way since she moved to Elwood City. In fact, she did all of her own work on last month's model car tournament. She even won second place all on her own! Let's see YOU come that close to beating George Lundgren.
Francine Frensky
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:Another amusing little nugget is from "The Friend Who Wasn't There," in which the basement at the Crosswire mansion is essentially a museum archive of all of the things associated with Muffy's life from birth up until her current age of eight, to which Bailey remarks in an ever-so-slightly-harried way that it took him most of his thirties to do.

Something else I forgot to bring up, too, is that clearly Bailey is also creative and clever, as we saw in all of the sculptures he managed to build for Muffy's art exhibit - in his own words, they may not have been kinetic, but they were interactive - even Arthur Ganson was impressed.

And I think I can go along with him specifically being a greyhound: all tall and lanky, much like the actual breed itself (similar to how the Compsons are probably hares, rather than bunnehs).

He also said in "Caught in the Crosswires" he is 37. Apparently he made it recently over around 7 years, which is a considerable amount of his employment
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fudgy brown sludge on Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:21 pm

the old dog has seen better days.
fudgy brown sludge
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:42 pm

needs be put d0wn cause d0gs all old aint good for shit. Evil or Very Mad
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top