My Soap Box Speech

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Soap Box Speech

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri 11 Nov 2016 - 3:19

Before I get started, I want whoever looks at this thread to please read my foreward carefully:

Because the Slums is an all-inclusive community, I am well aware of the diversity we have around here in our mentality towards certain things such as religion, politics, sexuality, and so on. Because of this, I am well aware that there's a good many number Slumfolk who are not particularly religious . . . let me make it perfectly clear that I am not pulling a Bionic Bunny and saying that all of you are a bunch of atheistic assholes. I am, however, about to speak out about a subject that is really grinding my gears right now, and what I am about to say is rather heavy in the area of politics and religion - you may or may not agree with what I am about to say, but as the Slums is a place for us to speak our minds about how we feel about things, I respectfully ask that whoever read this to extend to me the same kind of respect and courtesy regarding my stance, just as someone like Meg expects to receive with her opinions and views on LGBT rights.

If you feel as though you are not going to like any of what I have to say, then I advise that you do not read beyond the following dotted line.

Thank you.

*************************************************************************************

I am sick and fed up with conservatives always blaming liberals of being an atheistic, godless horde, when in fact, liberals are actually far more Christlike than most conservatives are.

Now, granted, I know there actually is a vast percentage of liberals out there who are, indeed, atheist or agnostic, and that's probably where conservatives are getting this stigma from . . . but not all liberals are such, and in fact, these Left Christians, who do indeed exist, are far more accurate representatives of Christ than these God-fearing, Bible-thumping, holier-than-thou, fire-and-brimstone conservatives claim to be! Because here's the thing: you know what liberals do? They embrace different walks of life. Matter of fact, doesn't it seem like a nice connection that the term "liberal" is similar to the term "liberate"? Liberals make an effort to liberate people of other cultures, creeds, orientations, backgrounds, what have you from the persecutions they face from other people who refuse to accept them as people who were put on this earth with purposes (which would mostly be conservatives). This is what Jesus Christ Himself did when He walked the earth: He reached out to people of different walks of life, people who were otherwise shunned by their peers; He reached out to leppers, He reached out to prostitutes, He reached out to the lame, the handicap, the disabled, anyone who needed Him, He reached out them.

Many conservatives don't do any of that. I'm not saying that all conservatives are like the infamous Westboro Baptist Church, but many of them are essentially Westboro Lite. They spend so much time doing the exact opposite of what Jesus stood for. They attack gay people for being gay, they attack black people because they think they're all thugs, they attack Muslims because they think they're all Islamic terrorists, they attack poor people because they think they're lazy, they attack people of other culture because they believe they don't belong in our world . . . liberals don't any of that. How can conservatives call themselves Christian when they spread so much hate? God is not about hate. God did not put us on this earth to hate one another, Christians are supposed to embrace one another, because God created us all in His image. God does not hate any group of people, He loves all mankind. What God does hate is sin - but that does not mean that He hates sinners, because He doesn't. And of course, conservatives justify their hatred by quoting Scripture: "well, the Bible says this," "the Bible says that." Yeah, I know what the Bible says, I've read the Bible . . . and in fact, let me jog some memories of certain passages from the Scripture. The Gospel According to Matthew quotes Jesus as saying these things to us: 7:1 says, "Judge not, that you be not judged." 7:12 says, "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law of the Prophets." This is Matthew quoting Jesus as telling us not to be judgemental of other people, and to treat other people in the same manner that we expect said other people to treat us. I see more liberals doing this than conservatives; I see more conservatives spreading hate than anything. So, what does the Bible say about hate? Leviticus 19:17 says, "You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him." This is God basically telling us that hating other people is essentially allowing yourself to let your hatred wallow in sin. There's also a proverb about hatred: 10:12 says, "Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses." Basically, we're to love people and look past whatever flaws or faults they may have, because those flaws and faults matter not. Shall we move onto the subject of love now? Going back to Leviticus, 19:18 says, "You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the Lord." Or, to put it more plainly: don't be hatin' on other people, love them instead. Matthew once again quotes Jesus in 5:44, saying, "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." Well, once again, that's an area that conservatives seem to be a little foggy in. Yes, I know that Christians face persecution for their faith - even I have endured such by actual godless, atheistic bullies - but we're not supposed to let those kinds of people get us down . . . conservatives seem to be blowing this way out of proportion, though, if the DUCK DYNASTY family is any indication of that. The Gospel According to John perhaps sums it up best with this quote from Jesus in 13:34: "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love on another."

So there you go: Jesus Christ Himself told us that He loves us (as in all of us), and therefore, we are to do the same with one another. And again, who does this moreso: liberals or conservatives? The fact that the latter seems to always spread racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, and pretty much the same ideals that Trump has openly displayed, I say the former does this moreso. I don't see liberals going around hating on groups of people who aren't wealthy, middle-aged, white males. So just remember, when conservatives go around blasting liberals for being an atheistic, godless horde, their the ones who are actually following Christ's example moreso than the conservatives who say otherwise.

************************************************************************************

There. I have spoken my mind, and I am leaving it at that. Whatever your reaction may be is what it is, you may or may not agree with anything that I have said, but I said what I did to speak out about the misrepresentations of a minority (yes, I consider liberal Christians a minority).

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Soap Box Speech

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri 11 Nov 2016 - 13:57

well DFB bro u jus got keep trying cause theres better days for us we just got keep tryin for em an hopin new days we ge up erryday. my ass used go church off on Raley down road where i live an shits fucked. they be up ere all liek sayin if ur gay an aint quit ur married the fucken devil then like u aint all into god ur aint no good an shit. so im like well WTF cause some my p33ps im chill w gay an aint go church so im like OK they goin hell too bro? shitass preist there get up on stage think he all b33ber w his rubber goddam face an fatass cheeselegs say i shoulnt be hangin w em cause they aint good p33ps liven in sin or some shit so im like YKW? fuck thissht imma go nother church. erryont there all stick up they ass anyway em bunch goddam old peeps jus sit there smellin all broccolli an shit. my fucken dad still go there wis cripple goddam bitch, they fucken shitass DGAF an always liek OH K3RRY U NEED COME BACK IN GODS ARMS CUASE ST JOHNS RLY ALL DEVIL or some shit. fuck em. i start goin St Johns in dwntown cause shits fly as fuck. pa$tors there like shits ok if ur gay or whaever cause theres better days an erryone still get hugz I love you so imma keep goin. fuck em else an theyre fucken lies. No

http://www.stjohnslc.org/
^this shit I love you
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri 11 Nov 2016 - 23:55

This is something that I've reflected upon in the past, being a lifelong "godless atheist" myself (or agnostic, if one defines divinity in only the broadest of terms) who's had to deal with occasional condescending nonsense and lack of acceptance from "Christian" communities.  Spending a good part of my life in a somewhat backwards area, there was an overarching mentality that non-religious people were uniformly immoral and somehow defective.  Of course, at the same time, I knew several Christians who just never made an issue out of it.  I found I could occasionally even debate religious friends on the matter, and nonetheless emerge on good terms; no harm done, and we agreed to disagree.  Ultimately, I think there are very good and very bad people to be found in practically any belief system.  I have taken it upon myself to understand the Bible, nonetheless, since it's one of the most important foundations of Western civilization and interesting on many levels even if one doesn't adhere to it as doctrine.  I often thought of some of the passages you've cited, and just how inconsistent with Christ's message some self-proclaimed Christians can be in terms of how they treat those of other belief systems.  Furthermore, many positions of the far-right are not at all consistent with the non-monetary lifestyle that Jesus advocated.  Just look at how oriented towards wealth accumulation and deregulatory capitalism that camp (and our society in general) tends to be.  Something tells me that wouldn't rest too well with someone who's famous for quotes like,

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24)

"Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God." (Luke 6:20)

...and basically went on a rampage, overturning tables and denouncing merchants for conducting commerce in a temple. (Matthew 21:12)
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat 12 Nov 2016 - 1:38

Interestingly, yes, I have another friend who is openly an atheist, but he has explained to me that he otherwise agrees with some of the morality and values of Christianity, even if he doesn't agree with the "history" of it . . . and that in and of itself is quite fascinating, because as I've said, I find that many of the people I know who tend to lean to the left are far more Christlike that people I know who lean more conservative. And many of those left-leaning people are not necessarily religious, but they understand that we're all human beings put on this earth with a purpose, and that we're to respect and accept each other, regardless of who we are, what we are, where we come from, what our background is, what our culture is, or any of that stuff. I have friends who are gay, bi, black, Christian, Jewish, agnostic, atheist . . . matter of fact, I have a friend who is half-Russian/half-Latina . . . but because she has very fair skin, and otherwise possess no distinguishable Latin physicalities, she often endures ridicule from people who tell her she's "not a real Latina," or "not Latina enough." That's just plain stupid.

Conversely, I know people who are conservative and Christian, but aren't exactly embracing of other walks of life. One such person is always bashing gay people, and speaking out against LGBT rights - meanwhile, another conservative fellow I know seems to feel like the only way white cops will stop killing unarmed black people is when black people will stop acting like thugs and pretending they have their own set of laws (uh, what?).

So, yeah, I mean how ironic is it that those who claim to be the representatives of Christ are actually hardly Christlike at all, yet those of who don't necessarily adhere to any religion or faith act more like the kind of person that Jesus was when He walked the earth?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fudgy brown sludge on Sat 12 Nov 2016 - 16:58

a day will come when i have died and then i will ask THE JESUS, and he will tell me of his will as i am born into new life but I will forget all he has said because i will be lost in clouds of cotton candy.
fudgy brown sludge
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon 14 Nov 2016 - 11:37

$$$~aLL L4mz an $hit~$$$
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile