The Official Season 20 Discussion Thread

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Official Season 20 Discussion Thread

Post by CMSAB11 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:19 am

It's one of the episodes from the premiere week that starts TOMORROW!! bounce But I'm not sure which one.
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Let's watch season 20 together.

Post by The Harmonica Aardvark on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:17 pm

Hello I just thought of the idea that we could all watch tomorrows season 20 premiere at same time and comment about what's happening on this thread.
The Harmonica Aardvark
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Unfortunately, I can't join...
ZeGermanArthurFan
King of France
King of France

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:26 pm

Hey, I think that's a great idea! I'll try my best to muster some feedback tomorrow, though it might not be until later in the afternoon/evening due to work.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Harmonica Aardvark on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:26 pm

Well season 20 premiers in the afternoon
The Harmonica Aardvark
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by _Glaceon_VI on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:54 pm

^OH YAS.....I can't wait to see that brand new season in tomorrow...but my mom doesn't allows me to watch Arthur on television cux she have thought its childish for myself which I'm will be 18 years old soon in tha next mouth... Sad

_Glaceon_VI
ather imaginer
ather imaginer

Location : Francine Chan's bedroom full of ice cream. (ॢ◕ัڡ ◕ั ॢ)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by _Glaceon_VI on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:18 pm

I can't wait for one of ya slumsters to uploads the brand new episodes of Arthur on this tread~!

_Glaceon_VI
ather imaginer
ather imaginer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:25 am

It premieres at 6:00 AM Eastern for me, then repeats at 3 in the afternoon. I'll probably just watch both times and let all 20 years soak into my brain. Very Happy
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by First King of Lambland on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:15 am

"Buster's Second Chance" and "Arthur and the Whole Truth" were uploaded to the PBS Kids website this morning. Overall, they are much improved from the other recent seasons. The animation is smoother, the movement seems nearly as fluid as the traditional animation did. The writing is better, I found these two episodes to be original and entertaining, not cookie-cutter recycled waste like Season 17-19 was.

"Buster's Second Chance" was a great episode, because it deals with the topic of some kind of "gifted program," which I believe always leads to more problems that its worth due to jealously and a feeling of inferiority.

But in "Buster's Second Chance", Buster says "I skipped the third grade" when referring to Mr. Ratburn's class. I thought they were a fourth grade class now! Did the writers just forget about "The Last Day"? I really hoped Season 20 would show a little more continuity than the other seasons have, but apparentley not. It seems that Arthur is still in third grade after all. And there was no kindergarten scenes for D.W., but I guess there's still a chance of that later in the season.

It was a good premiere!
First King of Lambland
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:33 am

My initial reactions are that "Buster's Second Chance" was a pretty good first episode for the season, while "Arthur and the Whole Truth" was kind of a bland story. Neither was flat out bad, though, like several of the S16/17 episodes. I always appreciate references to previous episodes, so seeing Love Ducks again really made me happy!! Buster is very adorable as a toddler bunny, and D.W. had several funny lines, too.

As for the animation, much improved overall. Fewer jerky movements, and thickness of lines seems to be corrected. Maybe it was just my PBS station, but I thought some movements in the theme song seemed like there were less frames which resulted in less fluid movements at times. Maybe when Oasis had the theme song rendered, something was affected. Or, like I said, it could have just been my station (though I do think they broadcast 1080p). Also, just to be clear, the actual song and video for the theme opening is unchanged from the S16-19 HD opening.

Arthur and D.W.'s voices were the only ones I could notice were different. I think Arthur sounds like a previous iteration of Brain, but I can t think which one it is.

I never expected the kids to be in fourth grade this season. Continuity such as that can't be expected in this show. I would think after reruns started playing, it would be really weird for them to be in third AND fourth grade.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:40 am

So this is a milestone season! Can we expect the kids to be in 5th grade by Season 40? Very Happy
ZeGermanArthurFan
King of France
King of France

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:32 pm

The episodes were great! Too bad they goofed about the 3rd grade..........

I could relate to Buster's Second Chance..........

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:39 pm

I believe "Buster's Second Chance" is the third time we've seen the flashback of Arthur and Buster meeting for the first time. The second time was in "The Ballad of Buster Baxter". Does anyone remember what episode it was first seen in? I can't remember... Here's the original clip (with an edit of course)
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:01 pm

I never expected the kids to actually move on to Grade 4 either, and couldn't believe that so many people out there actually did . . . but then again, I also never expected the show to go back to traditional hand-drawn animation, yet again, so many other people out there did. Really people?

However, I missed seeing the season premiere today, because . . . I'm still not quite used to the show being on at 3:00 instead of 4:00 like it had been forever.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:08 pm

Just managed to watch the premiere, myself - feedback coming soon!
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by _Glaceon_VI on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:19 pm

^Hey ya breezy slumsters, there's an full first 2 episodes of season 20 of Arthur~! Grab your popcorns, candies, & sodas to watch it together to enjoy it~!
_Glaceon_VI
ather imaginer
ather imaginer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Eight-Three-One on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:56 pm

Gonna awaken from my slumber and join y'all for this ride! I'm following the premiere of this season, and I figure I'm gonna drop by and give my own feedback as well. I'm waiting until it premieres on my PBS station, which sadly is really late in the day (5PM CST), but I'll do my best.

Buster's Second Chance -- A fairly solid and enjoyable alternate timeline episode! And one that covers gifted/talented programs quite well, and how they bring an unwanted split between regular students. And like everyone else said, seeing The Love Ducks again was incredibly refreshing, and it was fun to also see Arthur and Buster's original meetup another time; interesting to think they still manage to keep that canon considering it was largely a throwaway scene in the opening to an old episode. A pretty solid episode, no classic or anything but a pretty enjoyable one none the less!

PrettyCoolStairs wrote:I believe "Buster's Second Chance" is the third time we've seen the flashback of Arthur and Buster meeting for the first time. The second time was in "The Ballad of Buster Baxter". Does anyone remember what episode it was first seen in? I can't remember...

I actually had trouble remembering this one too! I had to Google it to figure it out, which is funny because my Internet friends describe me as a book full of Arthur knowledge. It was on the Season 1 episode "Team Trouble". Don't really blame you for forgetting that one, I don't even remember what happens in that episode.

Arthur and the Whole Truth -- Eeeeugh. To Tibble the Truth already did a plot very similar to this, so it felt like a huge rehash. But ignoring that, it still wasn't very good. The moral was incredibly predictable and you know exactly where the thing is gonna go. And it was just kind of forced as a whole. Not terrible by any stretch, but pretty meh.

On the topic of the animation, it's looking so much easier on the eyes now, thank goodness. I thought I was going to hate that we were still getting the flash animation but it actually hasn't looked too bad this time. The characters have more complex movements, a wider variety of facial expressions, and actually move a bit more naturally now. Granted it's not coming close to how the hand-drawn episodes looked, but after the awful 9 Story episodes this is such a huge step up and a breath of fresh air, and honestly something I could get used to.

I'm looking forward to how the rest of this plays out!
Mr. Eight-Three-One
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Harmonica Aardvark on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:45 pm

Wow when buster was driving away in Arthur and the whole truth after telling Arthur he made a mistake in the beginning of his piano recital. Did you see how close his car came to Arthur's and then magically entered the next lane?
The Harmonica Aardvark
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:09 am

ok now i seen em but IDK. shits aint make sense or my dumbass jus dont get it. first ones all bout Buster dreamin hes suppose be goin new sK00L but then they aint show it any oer time than start when hes all lil boi an shit. i guess he meet Arthur all fly an shit how chillin w Rattles but then shits like Buster aint able go in then he is then he aint so he just wake up. made no fucken sense. nxt ones lil bit better but still aint rly bout much aeything. IDK shits like Arthur Buster bitchin then he go play in band an then shits okay but WTF + how coem they aint bros no more first place?
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:37 pm

I was generally quite pleased with the premiere episodes.  I think they were both well above average, and agree with the general consensus about the animation quality.  I think some of the motion was a little jerky in the beginning, but all in all, it does seem smoother.  The biggest improvement, in my opinion, is the subtle lowering of color saturation.  It's really a welcome addition, since it makes everything easier on the eyes and more reminiscent of earlier episodes.

Buster's Second Chance was pretty solid, and played out more or less how I expected it would, using the tried-and-true theme of the person who finally winds up getting everything (or a specific something) they always wanted, whether it's riches, superhuman intelligence, etc., but loses what really mattered most in the process.  Love, friendship, call it whatever you like.  In the end, they realize that it just wasn't worth it.  I really got a kick out of seeing Arthur as a Tough Customer again, especially when the facade started to break down a little in the end when he admitted there were still some things that were missing from his life.  Things that only his friendship with Buster could give him.  All in all, it was a pretty sweet episode.  

Arthur and the Whole Truth wasn't too shoddy either, though I can also see the distinct similarity to Tibble the Truth now that it's been pointed out.  There were a lot of "little moments" in this episode that really made up for the repetitive plot.  Specifically, the double entendre flasher gag in the Sugar Bowl.  I don't think we've had such an amusing adult joke since "The dog's got my weiner!" bit way back in Season 1.  I'm guessing that was probably included especially for those of us who appreciate a little out-of-context humor here and there. Cool  

I was also pleasantly surprised to see both Molly and Maria get a good amount of background time, even though neither of them had speaking roles.  It was particularly interesting in Molly's case, since it could be interpreted as harkening back to her "forbidden friendship" with Arthur during Arthur Makes Waves.  The only other reason I could see her showing up to appreciate classical music (which we know she passionately hates) would be if Binky was there to play clarinet.  As far as we know, that wasn't the case.  It seems more likely that she was there to see Arthur play and be supportive.  That is, assuming it wasn't just a purely random character placement.

Regarding Bitzi's car blooper pointed out by Harmonica Aardvark, I just caught that one. Very Happy  It's pretty in-character for her too, since we've seen what a criminally reckless driver she can be in Arthur Calls It.  It's really no mystery why the Bitzimobile is such a wreck.  Like car, like driver.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:40 pm

So, what are your thoughts for today's (10/11) episode?

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch it this morning. I'll just have to wait until PBS (or some brave Youtuber) uploads it.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:51 pm

I was extremely disappointed with "Fern's Flights of Fancy." The descriptions said that Fern was going to give up writing because she couldn't take the criticism she got over her latest story, and that's not what happened at all: Fern ended up giving up writing because . . . she didn't win a content. How is that criticism? Nobody even told her her story was bad, or that they didn't like it, her story just simply didn't win a contest, so she decides to be a sore loser and not write anymore. That made Fern less of a sympathetic figure in the episode. I really think the story would have played out a whole lot better if it was like the descriptions said: if somebody gave Fern negative feedback about her story, it hurting her feelings, and prompting her to give up writing because of it - that would have been a much better scenario, and would probably paint Fern in a more sympathetic light. But nope. So, as I said, really disappointed.

"Cereal," despite it's really simplistic and vague title was . . . interesting, to say the least. Definitely a throw-back to the whole snowball incident with D.W. in the past, only this time involving her accusing Arthur stealing her cereal. Buster building a whole podcast around the incident was interesting, especially as we see even Buster is starting to suspect Arthur being the culprit, since evidence was pointing to him . . . that was a subtle throwback to when he tried to figure out what happened to the quarters Arthur left with Mrs. MacGrady, and even contemplating if Arthur really was responsible. Good episode, but not exactly spectacular.

And what was up with everybody's voices? Everybody sounded like they suddenly had lisps. Harry Mills didn't even sound like himself at all - I almost wasn't sure if it really was Harry, or somebody else who looked similar to him.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:00 pm

On the upside, Arthur's voice does seem to be a bit of an improvement.  It's probably the closest it's been to the original Yarmush in ages.  Buster's voice actually seems a little bit deeper than it did in recent seasons, though the lisp thing was still pretty noticeable.  He also pulled a few of those stereotypical limp-wristed hand swats in the premiere, too.  

Also, why wasn't I at all surprised to see him tending to domestic chores in that prehistoric flashback, while Arthur was the "man of the cave" and tasked with going out and doing the hunting?
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Eight-Three-One on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:33 pm

Just caught the episodes today, my thoughts....

Fern's Flights of Fantasy -- Another meh episode. It's nice that it explores Fern and George's chemistry, but ultimately the plot was a little to simple to really work that well. I did like seeing The Frensky Star again...and of course Muffy brought up Matt Damon, which gave me horrrific flashbacks to his hideous design for the show. Other than that, the only real standout to me was the art style for Fern's story. And yeah, I most certainly agree with what others said about the overreaction.

Cereal -- PODCASTS!? Well, there's a good indicator this show has been running for a ridiculous amount of time. And this is a topic I'm really happy to see this show finally cover -- it's a pretty meta topic, something akin to how the news can often skewer the view of a story, much the way Buster does in this episode. And the ending was really well put together too; I was fully expecting this to be another "don't try to make something interesting at the expense of someone else's reputation" moral, but they turned into something a whole lot better. Additionally, I was also expecting it to be another snowball reprise, but it wasn't that either. A genuinely pleasant surprise and I hope we see more episodes like this.
Mr. Eight-Three-One
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top