The Official Season 20 Discussion Thread

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Official Season 20 Discussion Thread

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:17 pm

Well, that didn't last long.

The new PBS Kids subchannel has suddenly decided to air two modern episodes back-to-back instead of alternating between modern and classic: right now, they're alternating between Season 19 and 20 episodes.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:30 pm

I noticed that too. Looks like Season 3 begins in a couple days though. Long range schedules go through seasons 4, 5 and 6 in the coming weeks, with another autism week of Carl-centric episodes in April.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:35 pm

So has PBS Kids changed their schedule or something? Every time I've tried to watch an older ARTHUR episode this week, SESAME STREET has been on instead (and in a disgusting framerate that looks like 12fps).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:38 pm

The older episodes are still on at 8:30 AM, 9:30 PM and 5:30 AM for me.

I hope you changed your clocks for daylight saving time, because if you didn't, Sesame Street would most certainly be on instead of Arthur, as it comes on an hour later at night tongue
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Eight-Three-One on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:40 pm

So I thought I'd throw this out here. I was browsing KERA's schedule and managed to run across one of the Season 20 episodes that will be premiering. Looks like they're expecting to continue Season 20 in May. Episode 20-5 is still yet unlabeled (though I'm sure if you look hard enough on other PBS sites you might find its title and description), but I found 20-6.

Prunella's Tent of Portent/Mutiny on the Pitch
At the Elwood City Picnic, Prunella pretends she can see the future at her fortune telling booth. But her best friend, Marina, doubts her mystical powers. The Lakewood Elementary soccer team has had enough of Francine's bossy behavior. To show the team how much they need her, Francine gives up her post to the most unlikely teammate...Buster!

20-5 is to premiere on May 30, and 20-6 is to show up on May 31. D.W. and the Beastly Birthday is coming on May 29. So, look forward to all that I suppose?
Mr. Eight-Three-One
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Yep, Season 20 will wrap up on June 1 with #2007 along with the DW special on Monday and Friday. I know I'm looking forward to it! The first real special since "Arthur It's Only Rock N Roll" (Arthur's Missing Pal certainly does NOT count). The rest of the new episode titles are available on schedule pages from KET, WTTW, WOSU, etc and on the wiki.

The June schedules are slowly rolling out now. It looks like the primary PBS schedule is going back to the "Double summer episodes" tactic again. Arthur will air at 5:30 PM and 6 PM (The morning Arthur at 6:30 AM goes away). As always, local stations can stray away from these times, and I'd imagine several stations will tape-delay these episodes to air the next day at a time of their choosing. The PBS KIDS 24/7 schedule is much more uniform station-to-station, but the June schedule hasn't been announced for that channel as of yet.

So, from May-June we'll see most episodes from Seasons 6-8 and 12-16 (except for the Lance Armstrong ones and a couple other random eps). By the way, is it just me, or does it seem Season 8 is almost as rare as Season 1 nowadays?? The Bleep episode...and the one with Koko Taylor...I can't even remember the last time I saw that live on air. That particular episode isn't even being shown this time around. *sigh* Why can't PBS just start at Season 1 and go sequentially to Season 20???
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Eight-Three-One on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:13 pm

PBS seems to run the show on two different timelines, it seems. The first and major timeline is seasons 9-20, and the second one is seasons 1-8, and sometimes the two cross (I have a few recordings of S1-8 episodes in HD due to this). I have no idea what originally prompted them to do this, but it's been this way for a really long time now.

I'm attempting to record absolutely every episode I can since there's no official DVD release and I want to have my own permanent collection of episodes. I even have a checklist of everything I've recorded.
Mr. Eight-Three-One
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Mr. Eight-Three-One wrote:PBS seems to run the show on two different timelines, it seems. The first and major timeline is seasons 9-20, and the second one is seasons 1-8, and sometimes the two cross (I have a few recordings of S1-8 episodes in HD due to this). I have no idea what originally prompted them to do this, but it's been this way for a really long time now.

I'm attempting to record absolutely every episode I can since there's no official DVD release and I want to have my own permanent collection of episodes. I even have a checklist of everything I've recorded.
Do you plan on recording season 6 with Bradley or Rendall's voice?
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Hey! I'm glad I'm not the only person who is recording all the episodes! My collection is on blank VHS tapes (ancient technology, I know), but I have over 90% of aired episodes as of now, with a few more expected next month. I use a spreadsheet to list my recordings, PBS airdates and other random Arthur stuff. Most of my missing episodes are from Season 1 (understandably so).

Other random episodes I'm still in need of are:
#0202 (Maybe PBS no longer has the rights to show the artwork that Binky was reporting about? I'm not sure how rights to pieces of art works on tv, but PBS skips "Binky Barnes Art Expert")
#0313 (
#0809 ("Kiss and Tell" used to air on Valentine's Day a lot, but is now skipped during regular airtimes)
#0810 (I hope the rumors aren't true that "Bleep" is banned!)

I actually have one old recording of one episode of Season 6 with the original voice actor. Guess I better hang on to that one Wink
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

split

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue May 30, 2017 9:52 pm

CMSAB11 wrote:For one, we didn't get to see the older versions of ANYONE except Mr. Ratburn, D.W., Kate, and the Read parents...but silly me, for thinking that Oasis would actually try their hand at aging up the main cast. They could barely do that with the characters they did age up.  Rolling Eyes
Keep one thing in mind, Herr Lieutenant, that in Arthur's dream, he and his class were transported four years into the future, they did not age, so of course they're still going to look the same compared to everyone else. And because it was only a mere four years, I wouldn't expect the adult characters like Ratburn, David, and Jane to look radically different. I'll also agree that Kate being D.W. 2.0 was something of a cop-out, but the explanation that Kate always gets D.W.'s hand-me-downs was a decent enough explanation to let it slide.

Okay, so here's what I have to say about today's new episode:

Lend Me Your Ear
Totally "meh" episode. Totally. It's this season's "Disease of the Week," and once again, giving a medical condition to a character whose never had to deal with it before has become such a one-trick pony with this show that everytime they do it, they're literally beating a dead horse. So, Ratburn is losing his hearing? How non-intriguing! And Ratburn's hearing loss is because he and a couple of other teachers from different schools are secretly a garage band? How . . . out there. In a sense, this episode rehashes elements from previous episodes: it rehashes part of "Arthur and the Real Mr. Ratburn" in that Arthur, Buster, and Brain's anti-climatic sting operation in spying on Ratburn was reminiscent of Arthur and Buster trying to uncover if Ratburn is indeed some kind of a vampire with a hunger for boy heads; it also rehashes part of "Buster's Breathless" in that Ratburn taking them on an imaginary trip inside an ear to show them how hearing works and what's causing his hearing loss was reminiscent of the rest of the class's imaginary trip up Buster's nose and into his lungs to see what causes his asthma. At least the educational message that loud music causing hearing loss is accurate.

The Butler Did It
Also a "meh" episode. This one felt like a rehash of "Get Smart," only instead of Ratburn growing to dislike HUGO for seemingly being smarter than he is, Muffy is growing to dislike KEAT for seemingly hurting Bailey's feelings and prompting him to runaway. Really, the only highlight of this episode is seeing, as always, that the Crosswires truly appreciate Bailey, to the point that they consider him a member of the family, and that even though Bailey did get to enjoy some time off to pursue his own artistic interests, he still feels a sense of fulfillment to serve the Crosswires. I did find it interesting, however, that Muffy says in this episode that Bailey is her best friend . . . I don't recall her ever speaking of him that way.

Overall, I was really disappointed with this one. Once again, the writing just feels like they're so out of ideas that they're practically digging under the bottom of the barrel for anything.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed May 31, 2017 9:47 pm

Prunella's Tent of Portent
Naturally, it was great to see our precious Marina again, and get a load of those necklaces Marina made for her and Prunie . . . Two of Hearts, anyone? That being said, the overall story seemed weak - Marina was right, Prunie was being far too literal in her predictions just to avoid losing the bet. I kind of figured Marina knew Prunie tried cheating by taking her necklace: the reaction to Prunie dropping it on the bed gave away that she could hear it. And while I'm sure having Buster seen with Marina may have been thrilling for Buster & Molly Lover, to me, Buster really added nothing to the story except filler. And I imagining things, or did Marina hit a growth spurt? She looked taller than Prunie here.

Mutiny
Ehh . . . ALVINNN!!! AND THE CHIPMUNKS just recently did an episode like this (and how ironic that this one was written by the former Chipmunk writing team of Cliff Ruby & Elana Lesser, who previously wrote, "That's MY Grandma!"), so, nothing too special or interesting about this. Francine's too bossy? Yeah, how many times have we seen that plot device? It also felt a tad like the episode with Francine and Brain having that feud over soccer, and it's been so long, the title is escaping me at the moment.

Overall, the only real treat today was seeing Marina again, and that's pretty much it. Wishful thinking had me wanting to see Prunie and Marina share the bed like whenever Francine and Muffy have sleepovers . . . but, in a sense, this could have been their version of Marina forcing Prunie to sleep on the couch. Razz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Wed May 31, 2017 10:51 pm

In "the Butler Did It", did anyone else notice that Francine was consistently using a smartphone while Muffy had a flip phone? I know smartphones have become much more affordable over recent years, so I could maybe see the Frensky's getting one on their tight budget, but Muffy with a flip phone? No way. In the world of Arthur Season 1, that would be acceptable (and in fact she did have one in "Arthur World's Greatest Gleeper") but not Arthur Season 20! Animator goof-up?
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Thought I'd throw this in here. In Mutiny on the Pitch, Francine is irritated that Fern and Muffy are chatting and completely ignoring the game they're supposed to be playing. Taken out of context it almost suggests Francine is a bit jealous that Muffy is talking to someone else.
Of course, given Muffy and Fern's well-documented history, Francine shouldn't be surprised by the least of this.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:44 pm

The Hall Minotaur
Y'know, I had a feeling this episode would end up being like the HEY ARNOLD! episode where Phoebe becomes hall monitor and starts letting it go to her head . . . and that's exactly what happened here, George let the power go to his head and pissed everybody off because of it. Very disappointing - especially considering this came from Matt Hoverman, who usually writes top-notch episodes. On the plus side, we finally got closure to the situation with Mr. Haney:
Spoiler:
He's stepped down as principal of Lakewood to fulfill his dream to help build a school in Africa.

Ladonna's Like List
And how did I know this episode was going to be like the RECESS episode "Nobody Doesn't Like T.J."? It was virtually the same plot, the only difference being George seemingly not liking Ladonna was a misunderstanding.

So, here's my final conclusion about Season 20: the first half was okay - nothing spectacular, but kind of an improvement over Seasons 18 and 19; the second half tanked - the episodes were very weak and uninteresting.

ARTHUR's milestone season has fizzled.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:30 am

Snowth Poogle wrote:The Hall Minotaur
On the plus side, we finally got closure to the situation with Mr. Haney:
Spoiler:
He's stepped down as principal of Lakewood to fulfill his dream to help build a school in Africa.
I've been to Tanzania in 2013. Someone has a lot of work ahead of them. Rolling Eyes
Still haven't watched the "Hallway Monitor" and "Ladonna's List" myself, since it seems they're only available online in terrible quality.
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:21 am

I know, I'm painfully overdue to post my thoughts on the latest batch of episodes. Of course, that's not to say that those thoughts haven't been thought out. I'll be sure to share them just as soon as I find the other half of my brain.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Wait... How did you lose it? O.o
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile