America is the Land of Shit

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: America is the Land of Shit

Post by Roabe on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:49 pm

On the Net Neutrality thing. The loss of NN affects me personally. One aspect of my job involves maintaining a PBX (telephone exchange) server for the business I work for. The server trunks out through a SIP provider via the Internet, which allows us to make phone calls to out-of-state and international phone numbers, and vice-versa, at low cost. Sure it's archaic, but many of our customers (mostly elderly people) still use regular PSTN phones.

Internet providers that bundle in telephone services have tried for years to block independent phone services like the one my job uses, in order to force their customers to use only what the ISP has the offer. The FCC, when it was actually competent, put a stop to these practices every time an ISP attempted it.

People who try to justify the loss of Net Neutrality always tell me there's nothing to worry about because the law has only been around for two years. It's not just a two year old law that was struck down, the current FCC has slowly been chipping away at any and all regulation that protects consumers and keeps telecom companies in check. Not just Net Neutrality.
Roabe
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:58 pm

I really do hope that this doesn't affect your career too seriously.  Speaking from experience, I know that the Midwest isn't the best place to be right now in terms of job hunting. Neutral  

This just goes to show how far-reaching the implications of this repeal really are, and underscores the fact that at the end of the day it's just a badly-veiled effort to endow already-too-big corporations with more control, bigger profits, and make government censorship many times easier in the process.  I have to wonder what kind of idiot actually believes the FCC and supports this shit.  Probably all of the older people who don't really use or understand the internet, since those are the people who generally tend to vote more frequently and put these people in office.  

On the bright side, at least the Force is still with us.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2017/12/17/mark-hamill-engages-fcc-chairman-jedi-lightsaber-battle-twitter/959678001/
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:49 am

A Lotta Moms wrote:I really do hope that this doesn't affect your career too seriously.  Speaking from experience, I know that the Midwest isn't the best place to be right now in terms of job hunting. Neutral  

This just goes to show how far-reaching the implications of this repeal really are, and underscores the fact that at the end of the day it's just a badly-veiled effort to endow already-too-big corporations with more control, bigger profits, and make government censorship many times easier in the process.  I have to wonder what kind of idiot actually believes the FCC and supports this shit.  Probably all of the older people who don't really use or understand the internet, since those are the people who generally tend to vote more frequently and put these people in office.  

On the bright side, at least the Force is still with us.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2017/12/17/mark-hamill-engages-fcc-chairman-jedi-lightsaber-battle-twitter/959678001/

Very Happy
MikaelaArsenault
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Back to top