The End of Arthur?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The End of Arthur?

Post by Salty on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:42 pm

So according to the NY Times, it's been confirmed that the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is to be eliminated as part of the new Republican budget. I've read that about 15% of PBS's budget comes from the CPB.

What do you all think this might mean for shows like Arthur? I'm afraid if PBS doesn't get enough funding it will go the way of TLC. That is to say, go from educational programming approved by NASA to mindless dreck like Honey Boo Boo. Could Arthur ever get a Netflix reboot like The Magic School Bus?

NY Times Link

Salty
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The End of Arthur?

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 am

I sincerely hope it doesn't put too much of a dent in Arthur.  If so, it certainly wouldn't be the first time conservative political agendas have hampered the Arthurverse.  Margaret Spellings, anyone?  I've honestly been a bit concerned I heard the bad news.  I'm not sure exactly what Arthur's budget is at the moment, how profitable it is relative to other PBS programs, or other financial factors that would indicate how close to the chopping block it might be in the case of serious budget cuts, but I suppose all we can do at this point is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Crying or Very sad
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:36 pm

I think Arthur the TV show will be safe, since it comes from "Viewers Like You". The money donated to PBS stations have the stations pay for new episodes of Arthur as of now, as well as Canadian tax credits and whatever corporate sponsor funds the show.

The website, old reruns, and some of the newer PBS Kids shows are doomed , however.

If you like seeing new episodes of Arthur, calm down. If you're that worried donate to PBS if you like the network and new Arthur.

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:47 pm

First thing is to keep giving them views.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:15 pm

I honestly don't know what Dictator Drumpf's plan is, but if you remember when Mitt Romney was talking about killing PBS back during the 2012 election, he laid out a plan that was essentially turning PBS into a commercial network (like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc.) because he felt the American people needed to put their money towards the companies advertising their products during the show, rather than funding the shows themselves.

Unfortunately, even that doesn't seem to be the case with Dictator Drumpf. They analyzed it, and government funding for PBS is only a mere 0.0625% of the nation's roughly four-trillion dollar budget. But, apparently, Dictator Drumpf feels the money Americans put into funding PBS should instead go to building up our military (as if it needs anymore building up).

Whatever the case may be, I've heard a disturbing word-of-mouth claim that apparently comes from some very reliable GOP sources: apparently, this entire election and Drumpf presidency is all a great big conspiracy by the GOP itself - they're just using Drumpf in the White House as a means of carrying out their own political agenda to seize control of the entire country, and once they've carried this out, they plan on impeaching him themselves. As far-fetched as that sounds, I wouldn't put it past the GOP at all. This is how they've always been, and this is how it always will be with them: it's all about conformity to their own way of life, which is essentially fascism . . . Obama in Office put a stumbling block for them, but now that they've got Drumpf, they plan on getting their way altogether. Democracy and the free world as we know could very well be doomed. It also doesn't help that Sean Spicer held another press conference at the White House today, but several different media outlets such as CNN, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, BuzzFeed (makes sense), Politico, and others were banned from covering it, because Drumpf is still calling them "fake news" . . . even though Breitbart was there, and they've actually been called out for their fake news reporting before, but they're a right-pandering outlet, so of course they'd get a free pass.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:17 am

Sure it might need tax dollars, but ever try making a charitable donation to PBS? When they say "Viewers Like You" they mean charitable donations, not tax dollars. CPB means tax dollars when you watch the funding credits.

So, if you have any amount, donate if you think Arthur in it's time of need.

Quit worrying about funding cuts!

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:05 pm

The most recent episodes (Season 20) only have ABCmouse.com and Viewers Like You funding when they air on PBS. Seems as though CPB is no longer funding Arthur.

Also, kind of a side note based on MatthewHecht's viewing comment... If you're looking for an easy way to keep Arthur's numbers up, I might recommend watching the 24/7 livestream. PBS no doubt tracks the number of users viewing each program on the livestream (and the on-demand section for that matter...) Sometimes I'll just have the app open on my phone on during the Arthur hours (8 AM, 9 PM or 5 AM) and watch/listen to it in the background while doing the more pressing things of life.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:16 pm

PrettyCoolStairs wrote:The most recent episodes (Season 20) only have ABCmouse.com and Viewers Like You funding when they air on PBS.
For the longest time, ARTHUR and other PBS shows had only Chuck E. Cheese's as a sponsor.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:41 pm

they do im cr4p fL4pj4x. >_<
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:23 pm

At least the Chuck E. Cheese sponsor videos were entertaining. Also ABC mouse has a nice mascot.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WheeljackDude on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:03 pm

New episode will be premiered from May 30-31, 2017...

http://arthur.wikia.com/wiki/Season_20

The premiere for the last two episodes didn't have premiere dates...
WheeljackDude
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:32 am

Hmm . . . some of them sound like they've been done before. . . . Ratburn acting strange? Didn't they just do an episode like this last season? Francine being too bossy at soccer? Haven't they done that already? George becoming the new hall monitor? Will it be like that HEY ARNOLD! episode where Phoebe becomes the new hall monitor and it makes a Nazi out of her? Ladonna discovers somebody doesn't like her? Wasn't that an episode of RECESS where T.J. obsessed over one kid not liking him?

Even though I see they're not going to use the spec script I submitted, I see we're getting another Prunina episode just the same, so this should be interesting.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:21 pm

...Prunella pretends she can see the future at her fortune telling booth. But her best friend, Marina, doubts her mystical powers.
That should be interesting. I always thought these two were like the regular believer and skeptic duo, but this difference in their personalities was almost never brought up... Also, I wonder who's the guy/gal who doesn't like Ladonna. Surprised
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:54 pm

COME ON MAY 30TH! Very Happy Surprised Shocked Cool Laughing Razz Wink What a Face Like a Star @ heaven I love you cyclops clown pirat tongue alien cat monkey pig rabbit bounce affraid Basketball cheers bom drunken sunny albino cherry santa rendeer farao king queen jocolor geek study flower elephant afro Buster Maria Binky Molly Bud George Sue Ellen Binky 2 Morris Rattles Arthur Alex Francine Slink Bitzi Haney Lydia Mutakrude Grandpa Dave Thora Tibbles Watteau Cousin Mo Marina D.W. prunella Ladonna James Brain Sally Ratburn Muffy Beulah Philomena Fletcher Tiffee Callie Fern Brown Dog Bunnanaman TCAG Keiper Rae
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 am

The 31st of May also happens to be my birthday. Guess I can count this as PBS giving me a present? Smile
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 pm

New Arthur episodes are presents for every Arthur fan...
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm assuming the last episode (#2007) will air June 1. The schedules are usually posted by month, so June 1 won't necessarily be published yet.

But two (three?) new episodes and a 60-minute special? Yes, that's a mighty fine late birthday gift for me (May b-day)! And a bonus: given the titles and descriptions we have now, it looks like this season will be one WITHOUT a Pal & Kate episode!!
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:02 am

PrettyCoolStairs wrote:And a bonus: given the titles and descriptions we have now, it looks like this season will be one WITHOUT a Pal & Kate episode!!
Woo!.. That's good, right? tongue
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:36 am

Hell yeah, the Pal and Kate episodes are so damn boring. No
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:24 am

Yeah, I don't understand why they feel the need to include the episodes that focus on an even younger age group than D.W. Plus they sometimes explore deep themes like the passing of childhood in them... I don't think the target audience would care too much. Neutral
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:23 am

They should have started and ended with The Secret Life of Dogs and Babies. It was an original concept at first. However, they never should have made more than one episode about it. It really jumped the shark once the writers added in that annoying flea character, then the imaginary friends...Killer and Amigo. I mean, hell, it was starting to branch off into its own shitty spin-off. Thank goodness that never came up as a possibility... No
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:52 am

Didn't they add another weird character lately? Like, Pal's cousin from Pluto or something? Maybe they're trying to teach kids about the dangers of drugs. Smile
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:51 pm

That episode where Pal, Kate and whoever else went into space was a complete acid trip. Maybe someone on the Arthur team realized at that point these episodes had to stop.
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:51 am

first im all like shits saem way u like then seen more em an im like shtis ok.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:49 pm

About the Pal and Kate episodes I think they started well when they were once a season or two. "Secret Life of Dogs and Babies" is fine. The sock market episode I think is great. Then the flea episode was really bad, with the imaginary friend episode being still a nice break from the typical Arthur episode. After that I think they have all been bad except for "Pet Peeved," (the one with the videos and no Kate).
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top