The End of Arthur?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The End of Arthur?

Post by CMSAB11 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:24 pm

MatthewHecht wrote:About the Pal and Kate episodes I think they started well when they were once a season or two.  "Secret Life of Dogs and Babies" is fine.  The sock market episode I think is great.  Then the flea episode was really bad, with the imaginary friend episode being still a nice break from the typical Arthur episode.  After that I think they have all been bad except for "Pet Peeved," (the one with the videos and no Kate).    

In smaller doses they were easier to swallow...
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Between ARTHUR having its seasons reduced to a number of episodes that's small even by first-season network standards, having been relegated to a 6:30am death slot, and Dictator Drumpf basically cutting off much of PBS's life-blood, I'm thinking that the very future of ARTHUR is looking more and more grim.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:41 am

Looks like the 24th season is going to be the last: http://arthur.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:67483

Oh well, at least we have four whole seasons to enjoy. I wonder what the series finale will be?
ZeGermanArthurFan
King of France
King of France

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fudgy brown sludge on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 pm

I am thinking this is a sham.
fudgy brown sludge
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:49 pm

fudgy brown sludge wrote:I am thinking this is a sham.
It is.

It's the exact same thread this Beulah McInnerny troll posted here five months ago:
http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t1581-a-letter-to-marc-brown-studios

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:36 pm

Three series that aren't supposed to end, like ever: Arthut, The Simpsons and Pokemon. Smile
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Just when I'd completely lost interest in The Simpsons, this happened:

Now, it's one of the best shows ever.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fudgy brown sludge on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:
fudgy brown sludge wrote:I am thinking this is a sham.
It is.

It's the exact same thread this Beulah McInnerny troll posted here five months ago:
http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t1581-a-letter-to-marc-brown-studios
it appears to be but I am fond of this troll who comes to us with fake news and paparazzi shots.
fudgy brown sludge
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffy Crosswire on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:22 am

I will save Arthur. My dad will easily fund the show, we are filfy rich family! Kids we to keep role models like me in public view for generations to come.
Muffy Crosswire
Little Miss Mod - Moderator
Little Miss Mod - Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:15 pm

But wouldn't you rather use that money to make a TV series all about yourself?
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:18 pm

After that disaster with T-Cube or whatever his name was? I don't think so!
ZeGermanArthurFan
King of France
King of France

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fudgy brown sludge on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:19 pm

it looks like new people are starting to discover this site.
fudgy brown sludge
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:12 pm

ARTHUR isn't even on PBS at all anymore: THE CAT IN THE HAT KNOWS A LOT ABOUT THAT replaced it in the 6:30am death slot, and the PBS Kids subchannel has dropped pre-Season 11 episodes from rotation.

I guess for all intents and purposes, ARTHUR is, indeed, finally facing the end.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:46 am

well i hope not Crying or Very sad
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Its not as good as it used to be though. Like all long running shows
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.fan fiction/jcrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:40 am

tbh i aint seen most new ones. shows best shit i seen abcl when im lil but idk bout now 🤷
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:09 pm

The episode where George walked and got to know Mr Ratburn as more than just the stereotypical teacher was a good episode. Francine public speaking about the fish was good.
Okay..that entire post sounds dirty now Wink
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 am

The show has indeed been on a slow decline since around season 4. The current quality is still passable (weirdly better than The Simpsons in its modern incarnation), indicating the show isn't exactly dead yet, but I haven't seen any episodes that have amazed me enough to momentarily break potion effects in a few years now ('The Last Tough Customer' thus far, although seasons 18-19 had a few decent episodes courtesy of Ken Scarborough and Kathy Waugh).

Also, surely I can't be the only... being around here who considers seasons 12-16 and NOT the more recent 9 Story seasons to be the low point of the show's history. Sure, they were better treated than Season 20/21 are now thanks to changing tastes in kid's shows (Arthur is now probably too quiet and intelligent for the hyperactive kids of today) and the current PBS situation, but seasons 12-16 stank of laziness and tedium.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:25 pm

I can't understand why people think the middle seasons are so bad. Sure, they weren't great, but still pretty good.
Season 16 and onward is where I think the show began to run low on fuel - in fact, I can't even watch most of Seasons 16-19 cause half of the episodes are blocked in Germany.
ZeGermanArthurFan
King of France
King of France

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:42 pm

ZeGermanArthurFan wrote:I can't understand why people think the middle seasons are so bad. Sure, they weren't great, but still pretty good.
Season 16 and onward is where I think the show began to run low on fuel - in fact, I can't even watch most of Seasons 16-19 cause half of the episodes are blocked in Germany.

Different strokes for different Slumgoers. To me, seasons 16-19 have worse bad episodes, but seasons 12-15 have more of them. To be fair though, seasons 16-19 aren't exactly spectacular either, and the plotlines feel more bareboned on a surface level than seasons 12-15, so I can see why some would dislike the 9 Story seasons more (not helped by the terrible quality of 9 Story's animation during those seasons).

I believe another reasons I can tolerate seasons 12-15 less is Arthur's voice. He sounds as if he's taken a gasp of helium, whilst also adopting a weird pretentious tone at parts. It didn't feel like the same character from seasons 1-4 on a vocal level.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:41 pm

I'll admit, I had always watched Arthur consistently up until Season 11 or 12. But that's partly due to my being in high school and temporarily losing interest in the show (then again, maybe I lost interest because the middle seasons weren't the best...?)

In my opinion, Seasons 16 and 17 are the worst. The animation is absolute trash, Ladonna had to show up, and many of the stories are very weak. After 16-17, I think the remaining seasons are about the same level of decency as 11-15.

I'll give the producers/writers credit especially for Seasons 20-21. They finally realized to cut down on the total number of episodes ("quality over quantity"). I also appreciate the two 1-hour specials. PBS tends to promote their "movie events" and specials, so having a couple from Arthur helps to highlight the series a bit more. The animation got better as well, which helps a LOT.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Lol Ladonna showing up XD that's a golden comment. My adopted little sister Wildstarrymoony would be in agreement with you on that one. Smile
I did like how the later seasons focused a tiny bit more on George. George is a decent, kind and complex character with a lot of talents and a kind heart. His episodes are usually of interest to me,

I must say I cooed with glee in that "old" episode when GeorgeXFrancine danced together. They were adorable and really kept the beat!!!
Dancing fools
Season 11 ep 6
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Like a lot of people, I love the first four seasons - that was essentially when the show was at its gold standard.

Seasons 5 and 6 are really iffy: Season 5 because of Michael Yarmush's voice change, thus we have "Balls Dropped Arthur" with a deep man voice that season, which kind of makes it awkward to watch, but at the same time, the writing for that season was still fairly solid - not as much as the previous seasons, but still stolid. Season 6 was really bad, however, I consider it the "lost" season, because for the longest time, my PBS never aired this season and always skipped it, so whenever I would watch Seasons 7 and 8, I'd wonder who the hell these new characters came from, like the Molinas, and Marina, or why Pal and Kate can suddenly talk . . . all explained in Season 6.

Seasons 7 and 8 are really enjoyable - they don't quite have the same spark as 1-4, but they're an improvement over 5 and 6, and they both have really enjoyable and groundbreaking episodes, such as "Elwood City Turns 100" and "April 9th." Not to mention, Mark Rendall did a great job at taking over as Arthur's voice - he came close to sounding like Michael Yarmush.

Seasons 9-15 are terrible and I always skip them: tired writing, sloppy off-model animation, and "Reverse Puberty Arthur" who sounded more like D.W. and D.W. sounded more like a chipmunk. And did I mention tired writing? The celebrity guests becoming more prominent? Characters suddenly getting retroactive illnesses and diseases? Every once in a while, there'd be an interesting episode, like "No Acting, Please" and "The Blackout," but other than that. . . .

Seasons 16 and 17, okay, I could go either way on them. Was the Flash animation bad? In the beginning, yes, but it slowly improved overtime. Was the writing weak? Well, the writing wasn't too bad, there were plenty of fun episodes. Did Arthur's voice improve? Yes. The inflections and mannerisms kind of sounded Brain-ish, somewhat, but the overall voice sounded more Arthur-ish. As for Ladonna . . . as I've said before, part of me wants to hate her simply for being the new character shoe-horned into the show for seemingly no reason, but other than her debut episode being a tough pill to swallow (because she wouldn't shut up), I can't find any reasonable flaws with the character, so I can't really hate her.

Seasons 18 and 19? Well, 18 started out promising with the return of Ken Scarborough, but a lot of the episodes had decent build-ups, but then anti-climatic resolutions that fell flat (again, Fern is sad "for no reason"), but overall, these seasons were just rather weak and uninteresting; I gave up on Season 18 before "Fountain Abbey," and didn't even really bother with Season 19. Arthur now having a really girly-sounding voice didn't help either.

Season 20 was really disappointing - nothing stood out about it that would indicate it was a milestone season (unless the Beastly Birthday special was to commemorate the season). Oasis' animation is a bit more fluid, but the rough and squiggly outlines aren't the greatest thing to look at. Getting back to Beastly Birthday, as I said in my review, Arthur's B-story about waking up in the future where D.W. is now older than him and Kate is how old D.W. used to be was more interesting and engaging than D.W.'s A-story about her birthday.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:21 am

Snowth Poogle wrote:Like a lot of people, I love the first four seasons - that was essentially when the show was at its gold standard.

Season 20 was really disappointing - nothing stood out about it that would indicate it was a milestone season (unless the Beastly Birthday special was to commemorate the season). Oasis' animation is a bit more fluid, but the rough and squiggly outlines aren't the greatest thing to look at. Getting back to Beastly Birthday, as I said in my review, Arthur's B-story about waking up in the future where D.W. is now older than him and Kate is how old D.W. used to be was more interesting and engaging than D.W.'s A-story about her birthday.

Agree with pretty much everything stated here, in particular the stuff about 'Beastly Birthday'. D.W's A-plot was extremely thin, childish and unmemorable (asides from the humourous little shout-out to Bud Compson's hat), with Arthur's B-plot being far more creative and investing (albeit still nothing special). I have to wonder why the show staff opted to rip off two previous D.W episodes (both good episodes additionally) to 'celebrate' the show's 20th anniversary - 'Beastly Birthday' felt akin to a display of the show's current weaknesses (poor animation quality, bareboned plots, rehashes of older concepts, pretentiousness, dull humour) instead and collapses like a broken thumb next to the masterpieces that are 'Arthur's Perfect Christmas' and 'It's Only Rock 'n' Roll'.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top