Arthur's Big Hit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Arthur's Big Hit

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Season 4 begins airing on the PBS Kids 24/7 channel and livestream on Monday (3/20). This includes "D.W.'s Library Card/Arthur's Big Hit". Looks like it has only aired a couple times in the past 5 years, so watch it while you can!

Thoughts about the episode? I remember as a kid, it was always one of me and my brother's favorite episodes. The whole punching scene is so well done. The build-up is really great... the storm raging outside... Arthur's anger compared to D.W.'s innocence... makes for good TV haha.

D.W.'s Library Card is another good one. I like how crazy D.W. gets just to care for a library book (oven mitts lol).
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Arthur's Big Hit

Post by MatthewHecht on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:37 pm

I always loved D.W.'s Library Card. For Arthur's Big Hit my brother laughed at Binky the whole time. I thought it was typical sibling feuds and pretty forgettable.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:50 am

I think it's a good episode. It focuses on issues that kids need to learn about: why do we need to keep our negative emotions under control and what would happen if we didn't. It's done in a pretty innocent and entertaining way too, I can't imagine why the American TV executives made such a big deal out of it. Probably because of the crazy levels of political correctness that swept the Western society though. Surprised
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:25 pm

Absolutely agreed. It always was one of my favorite episodes. I have no idea why so many people have such a big problem with it. The episode was amusing from beginning to end, and also showed an interesting side to Binky, as well.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffy Crosswire on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:10 am

You think you know a person, but poor DW found out his brother is far different to how he normally represents himself.

This kid is angry! I wouldn't want to come up against that in a dark alley.
Muffy Crosswire
Little Miss Mod - Moderator
Little Miss Mod - Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:53 am

The highlight of this episode is definitely Michael Yarmush's hammy delivery of "I TOLD YOU...NOT TO TOUCH IT!" As far as I'm concerned, he only said that to me once when I stole second base. Sure was glad I wasn't wearing my face then.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 am

well is seen it an it was pry good tbh.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE:

Post by In_Correct on Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:55 pm

I find this episode to be a shocking comparison between Arthur and Binky. Binky seems much more mellow compared to Arthur. Later, there would be at least one more episode discussing Arthur's unexpected temper. I think the episode name is A Is For Angry.

and again compared with Binky in that episode also:

Binky Barnes wrote:"Hey, man, I want to congratulate you. It took me years to get scary. You did it overnight".

I also want to quickly mention that Arthur's Big Hit has a speaking role for Sickle Cell Kid ... the dark brown floppy eared dog. If they will ever make an episode about him (and an episode about him having Sickle Cell). The only Disease ever discussed that I know of is Buster's Asthma. ... which is perhaps exacerbated by Buster's eating habits.

Also about D.W.'s Library Card ... the complete opposite of the episode paired with it.

Arthur and D.W. get along perfectly and D.W. is being very responsible in this episode. She can literally go from responsible and cautious in one episode and literally the next episode is a destructive little brat.

It is a remarkable episode. D.W. works tirelessly to get a library card after Arthur begs her to get one for herself, and has to write her name for the first time.

After writing her name for the first time, she has to wait for a week before getting to read her favourite book.

When she notices her book is old, she decides it is best she not open it.

Then Arthur saves the day. But after he tells her that she can renew the book, she says she will renew it as many times as possible.

It is nice to see an episode with Ms. Turner in it. The library has almost disappeared in recent episodes. It is also remarkable how she is very patient with D.W. during D.W.'s bursts of excitement.

In_Correct
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:49 pm

Seeing Arthur punch DW in her arm I think? was both mean and cool because you know what a brat she can be and she did kind of got what she deserved. She's lucky that he didn't murder her! affraid
Buster & Molly Lover
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:39 am

In_Correct wrote:I find this episode to be a shocking comparison between Arthur and Binky. Binky seems much more mellow compared to Arthur. Later, there would be at least one more episode discussing Arthur's unexpected temper. I think the episode name is A Is For Angry.

and again compared with Binky in that episode also:

Binky Barnes wrote:"Hey, man, I want to congratulate you. It took me years to get scary. You did it overnight".

The episode you refer to is indeed '"A" is for Angry'. It's a guilty pleasure of mine - the plot is so poorly paced and structured and every character is unlikeable (common issues of Dietrich Smith's other masterpieces, such as "Buster Gets Real" and "All Thumbs"), yet Arthur's scream is a truly beautiful audiovisionary experience, particularly when sped up by 50% (surely someone else remembers that video?).

Interesting that you mention the episode as a comparative piece between Arthur and Binky. I never considered it that way before. Come to think of it, Arthur himself is actually a surprisingly vicious and temperamental character at times compared to Binky (who may be the terror of the Lakewood kids in the first season, but more out of confusion than legitimate malice, and his outbursts are more mellowed and consistent with his typical demeanor than Arthur's unprecedented and violent surges, which gives the impression that Binky is more mellow) - outside this episode and "W is for Wilhelm Scream" (I'm calling it that from now), see also 'Arthur and the Crunch Cereal Contest' ("this is MY band and MY music, so WE'RE GONNA PLAY IT MY WAY!"), 'Arthur Rides the Bandwagon' (a milder example, but the Bilbo scene was pretty harsh for Arthur), 'Arthur Sells Out' (an odd choice, but Arthur basically rips off James, an innocent four-year-old, with near-to-no qualms about it), 'All Thumbs' (Arthur stalks Buster for an entire episode berating him constantly for a mild habit, even if it was an unestablished mild habit) and of course 'So Funny I Forgot to Laugh', which is basically the Arthur scream stretched out into 11 minutes, except when stretched out for that long, it loses all its humour, begins to display mean-spiritedness and becomes one of the worst episode of the entire show (unlike Binky in 'Bully for Binky', who was bullying more out of bewilderment and insecurity, here Arthur is clearly mocking Sue Ellen for deliberately malicious reasons, and when she is justifiably upset (although that was also out-of-character for her), Arthur never considers it to be his fault, but instead hers. What a jerka*).
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top