Beastly Birthday Commercial

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Beastly Birthday Commercial

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Mon May 29, 2017 11:08 am

My initial thoughts on the D.W. and the Beastly Birthday special/movie/event/episode?: a very nice message about brothers and sisters, masked by two so-so fantasy sequences. Overall, it's an ok special. It definitely does NOT even begin to compare to Arthur's Perfect Christmas or It's Only Rock and Roll, but it's surely better than the hideous Arthur's Missing Pal movie. Maybe I'll have a better review upon a second viewing later...

The full special is already on the PBS Kids Video app and website. It's also streaming live at 9/8c tonight on the pbskids.org/video livestream and local 24/7 channels.

PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMilanTooner on Mon May 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Anyone got a rip of the special I could watch? The PBSKids.org video stream's blocked on my end (I'm a Canuk : P)
TheMilanTooner
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Eight-Three-One on Mon May 29, 2017 8:15 pm

Just watched the special myself. My thoughts on it?

Spoiler:
Well, first off I must agree that it can't even compare to It's Only Rock and Roll or Perfect Christmas, but I really wasn't expecting anything that good anyway. In fact, I had pretty low expectations, with a similar concern many others had; that it was one of those all-fantasy episodes, except it was being stretched out to an hour long movie.

And to be honest...I was half-right. D.W.'s plot was a bore. It got semi-interesting by the end, but certainly not enough to save how dull it was. And much of it was caused by her just being bratty and ungrateful, and I really felt they were trying way too hard there. The only thing I could sympathize with her on was not getting the present she wanted, and that's not a good sign. Well, maybe I could also sympathize about the lack of guests too, but overall, it just felt a bit like D.W.
Goes to Washington
where she just goes out of her way to not enjoy it. The end of her fantasy helped a bit, but it was nowhere near enough to salvage it. Plus the designs of the monsters were too ugly to look at; I get they're supposed to be ugly, but they spent too much time on that aspect without making them easy enough on the eyes to make it enjoyable to watch.

Thank goodness for Arthur's plot, or I would have been completely bored through the whole thing. Arthur's plot was quite well-done; I've been hoping to see this show do a time-skip plot realistically for a long time (compare it to The World of Tomorrow and D.W.'s Time Trouble), and I was happy to see them finally do it. And I liked how they addressed both sides at once, with Arthur regretting how little time he spent with D.W. when she was a kid only to find himself doing the exact same thing with Kate. I think we could have seen a bit more of the other characters' families in the future too (it would have been nice to hear about Catherine being in college, for example), but they did keep the focus where it needed to be in any case, that being on Arthur's family. It wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch, but Arthur's plot was grounded in enough reality that it helped subside the dullness of D.W.'s plot.

The ending was pretty heartwarming as well without reaching sappy territory too.

TL;DR -- a solid special, with one really rough patch that brought it down quite a few points. But I'm happy I watched it, and if you think you can make it through the dull parts, give it a watch.
Mr. Eight-Three-One
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon May 29, 2017 10:15 pm

While I thought the special as a whole was actually pretty interesting and enjoyable (despite completely retconning "D.W.'s Perfect Wish"), I will agree with what the consensus is so far that the B-plot involving Arthur in the future was the more interesting storyline

I'm pretty sure the underlying message of both plots is that Arthur and D.W. needed to realize how much they really do value and love one another, but I feel like it was better illustrated with Arthur's plot, where he got a taste of his own medicine on two different levels: he got a taste of what D.W. felt like when Arthur would shoo her away constantly with "Dora" doing the same to him, but he also saw how D.W. felt when he sees how Kate is constantly shooed away by Dora as well.

Now, here are some little minor details that I really want to comment on:

- I loved the I DREAM OF JEANNIE reference with Nadine conjuring things up by folding her arms and blinking, just like how Jeannie executed her magic.
- Dora is nine, yet she said she skipped a grade and is Grade 4 now . . . I know it's just a dream and dreams don't often make sense, but nine pretty much is the usual age for most fourth graders.
- The designs for Dora and older Kate were interesting (never expected Kate would be a redhead), but I feel like there really wasn't much effort put into making Bud look older - he just looked taller is all.
- Dora's nickname for Kate made me chuckle, because I have a friend named Katie, and "Katie Bug" is a nickname of hers as well.
- The whole CYBORG CINDY thing seemed interesting; I love Dora's comment about how MARY MOO COW was a baby show, but had adult references in it.
- What was up with Muffy's voice? She sounded nothing like herself - in fact, I double-checked the credits to see if maybe she had been recast, but it's apparently still Melissa Altro . . . it just didn't sound like it.

Over all, I'd say it's a solid movie special, and I did like it. But again, I agree that Arthur's plot was more engaging.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Mon May 29, 2017 10:58 pm

TheMilanTooner wrote:Anyone got a rip of the special I could watch? The PBSKids.org video stream's blocked on my end (I'm a Canuk : P)

You might try this youtube video if PBS KIDS is unavailable in your area! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBa0meN3EqI

The audio sounds like it was echoing through a tin can, but it's better than nothing if you're itching to watch the special.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMilanTooner on Tue May 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Finally got around to fully watching it.

To be honest, I felt it was REALLY dragged out. I liked the message and I CERTAINLY agree with those that felt the Arthur plot was the stronger half of the special, but it mostly came off as too much of an overstretched half-hour special.
I was hoping it'd throw in a bit of the "primetime" flair the first two hour-long episodes had, but when I saw the regular intro pull up with a SLIGHTLY different arrangement for the title card, my hopes were unfortunately smushed.
Some fun concepts and ideas and a good moral, but the very "PBS executive-pitched" feel of the A-plot really deteriorated it for me. Not to mention the really bland flash animation's problems stuck out more like a sore thumb in an hour-long format.

I really liked the ending though; felt it capped off the message of the episode really nicely.

I have a bit more hope for the Haunted Treehouse episode (since it has a MUCH more interesting plot to work with), but as is, it just felt like something that would've been ALOT stronger as a half-hour special/two separate episodes.

the fact that D.W. grows up into a weeb is sorta funny tho

EDIT: just realized I left this little unfinished before. Oops. Razz

Last edited by TheMilanTooner on Wed May 31, 2017 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
TheMilanTooner
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Tue May 30, 2017 9:00 pm

This special was such a letdown in so many ways...where do I begin?
Spoiler:
The general consensus here is that D.W.'s plot was boring as hell and Arthur's plot saved the special. Really, D.W.'s plot sucked...it was okay in the beginning, when she was voicing her disappointment over her birthday party and nothing was going right. Once Nadine gave her the ticket, and she went to the island and met those HIDEOUS ASS MONSTER VERSIONS OF THE TIBBLES, BUD, AND EMILY that's when it all really started to go downhill. What was supposed to be the highlight of the episode ended up being a complete waste of at least half an hour of my time. I hate to say that about an Arthur episode, but I literally could have been sleeping in that time, and I would have been more entertained.

The ONLY THING that saved D.W.'s plot (maybe) was the part at the end where she met monster Arthur. That was at least half-decent, it tied into the part at the end where Arthur tried to reconcile with D.W. Overall, D.W.'s plot was way too strange and boring for me to want to watch again. There's also the fact that we haven't had imagine spots/dreams take over entire episodes like that before (someone remind me if there was). I think it was a bad idea, at least to use D.W. It was reminiscent of the Kate and Pal episodes and the strange imaginary friends sub-plots they used to use all the time. I think for that reason, Arthur's plot executed this idea in a much more engaging manner.

Arthur's plot did save the special, however, I was more than disappointed with some parts of it. For one, we didn't get to see the older versions of ANYONE except Mr. Ratburn, D.W., Kate, and the Read parents...but silly me, for thinking that Oasis would actually try their hand at aging up the main cast. They could barely do that with the characters they did age up.  Rolling Eyes

On one hand, I was relieved when the special went into Arthur's plot. On the other hand, I really cringed at some of the things Oasis did. Their rendition of Kate absolutely sucked. I don't even know if she was voiced by the same person that did her in the past episodes...maybe? I really disagreed with how they presented her. Her hairstyle was just ridiculous, her outfit was an intentional rip-off of D.W.'s but it still sucked...thank goodness this was just Arthur's dream so it's not canon. I'm really nitpicking here, but I never saw Kate as D.W. 2.0 which is basically what she was. I did agree with certain parts of the future where the D.W./Kate dynamic is similar to Arthur/D.W., but I don't personally see it being nearly that extreme.

Older D.W. (or Dora) was actually great...her character design wasn't bad and the fact that she was "cool" in the future made things interesting. I like how Arthur wanted to hang out with her and their dynamic was reversed much to Arthur's dismay; now he was the annoying younger sibling. I thought this version of older D.W. was actually more realistic than the one we saw in D.W.'s Time Trouble. She actually grew up.

In general, I did really like the message that the special ultimately brought to the table. Arthur's a good big brother and he really cares about his sisters even if he might not show it all that often. The ending where Arthur and D.W. reconciled was pretty heartwarming. I do think that it was nice to have a special that focused on Arthur and D.W.'s relationship, their dynamic is such a cornerstone of the series anyway. However, I do think that the message could have been presented in a much more engaging way.

Unfortunately, if I had to rate the special, I would give it a 5.5/10. Half a point for the D.W. A-plot (for the thousandth time, it sucked) and five points for the Arthur B-plot since it was decent enough to save the special.
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:14 am

Honestly? I thought it was good. Not star-worthy or anything, but decent. Even the animation, although still obviously done in flash, didn't look as stiff and cheap as in some of the newer episodes. The plot was simple, but entertaining to watch, at least the Arthur's side of it. Liked the way they portrayed the 4-year old Kate. She's like D.W., but with different personality. Very Happy And the ending was heartwarming as heck. The only part that really bothered me was a complete absence of Francine. It feels like she should've been in it, but got outright replaced by Ladonna. Surprised
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:54 am

First of all, I was a little surprised to see no build-up into D.W.'s birthday party. No invitations, no excitement or anticipation from D.W... it just starts there. Maybe that would've been a bit like "Arthur's Perfect Christmas", which is entirely build-up to the big day.

D.W.'s plot was pretty lame since it was almost all imagination, but I don't think it was a complete failure. I know it was supposed to relate somehow to "Where the Wild Things Are" but I've never read the book myself, so I won't understand any of those references. I did enjoy the fact that the four monsters were the exact opposite personalities of the real preschool characters: Bud finally lost his winning streak, Emily loved her old torn-up dress. But of course the Tibble monster twins couldn't help but still argue with each other. I thought the little musical part was fine. I'm sure younger kids would have liked that part more than I did. It was kind of catchy.

As for the Arthur plot... like others have stated, it saved the special. The futuristic scene from "The Contest" was fascinating (and iconic) when it was first shown, and this new look into the future was equally interesting to me. Actually, there's only a 1-year difference between these two particular instances, so we kinda get a more complete view of the Read Family at 4-5 years in the future!

I do have some criticism though. At first, I was pretty confused about future Kate, since she looked so much like D.W. just with her hair pulled up. I know she was wearing hand-me-downs, which does make sense, but I wish they could have animated her with a different color dress or something more distinguishable from traditional D.W. At least Kate's voice was unchanged from the talking-Kate episodes, so that was familiar. Future D.W. was fun since she is like the cooler version of Average Arthur. The only thing about her outfit is, the more little details they added in (the writing on the shirt, the layered jacket, the colorful headband and glasses, etc), the less she seemed like a regular character. I mean, look at the rest of the cast of 8-year-olds: they all wear solid colored clothes and overall appear rather uninteresting- yet each somehow suits their character. It's like when the celebrity guests are added...the eye details and extravagant outfits are a little distracting. I felt the same about Ratburn. The beard was a little much for me. I wish it would have just been the suit color change and introduction of glasses... but I digress. Besides the character changes, seeing the actual city evolve was great to see too. The Sugar-Free Bowl, the wind turbines in the distance, the constantly improving cell phone technology... all were very believable advancements.

And yeah! Where was Francine? I was surprised not to see her much at all in this special. She could've gone to the hover board place and played with the gang there. I'm glad Ladonna didn't get too much of a spotlight though. I still cringe a little whenever she shows up.

I'm glad that once Arthur's plot ends, both imagination sequences tie in well together into D.W.'s reality at her birthday party. I thought it was really sweet to see Arthur and D.W. together underneath the stairs. It's very rare to see those two getting along together, so it was nice to see that. I was questioning why they never said "I love you" to each other, rather "I like you." There's nothing wrong with loving your own family, right? Maybe producers thought with all the out-of-context memes and such, that would be taken the wrong way? Regardless, I'm glad they both had that feeling and moment together. Smile

Definitely looking forward to "Arthur and the Haunted Treehouse". DWATBB wasn't a complete flop and the synopsis we have for this new upcoming special seems promising.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:38 pm

PrettyCoolStairs wrote:
The only thing about her outfit is, the more little details they added in (the writing on the shirt, the layered jacket, the colorful headband and glasses, etc), the less she seemed like a regular character. I mean, look at the rest of the cast of 8-year-olds: they all wear solid colored clothes and overall appear rather uninteresting- yet each somehow suits their character. It's like when the celebrity guests are added...the eye details and extravagant outfits are a little distracting.
Oh yeah, I felt the same thing. For me it was mostly the glasses though... They looked way too fancy for an Arthur character. I could see someone wearing them as part of some gag, but D.W. simply going around wearing those things seemed off. Suspect
PrettyCoolStairs wrote:I was questioning why they never said "I love you" to each other, rather "I like you." There's nothing wrong with loving your own family, right? Maybe producers thought with all the out-of-context memes and such, that would be taken the wrong way?
Oh yeah, my mind is spoiled enough by the Internet to instantly know what depths of depravity some people's imagination might drag this scenario though. But let's not go there... Very Happy On a more positive note, I actually found Kate's portrayal in this special to be pretty spot on. I mean, when (or rather if) she ever growns up she'll be at risk of being that lonely youngest child that nobody has the time for. Wouldn't Arthur be in college and D.W. a high-schooler by the time Kate made it to elementary?
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:41 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:- Dora is nine, yet she said she skipped a grade and is Grade 4 now . . . I know it's just a dream and dreams don't often make sense, but nine pretty much is the usual age for most fourth graders.

Most third graders start as an eight year old and turn nine during the school year or in the summer between.  Most fourth graders start at age nine and turn 10.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:49 pm

I just saw it, and I think it was the best part of season 20 (granted I have been busy and only saw the first half of season 20 so far).
It certainly had a big problem with Arthur's plotline being so much better than D.W.'s, but that is mostly because Arthur's plotline was always fun to watch and thankfully did not copy "D.W.'s Time Trouble." It then finished with a good (yet predictable) ending that connected both plots.

While it is very inferior to "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll Arthur" I think it is better than "Arthur's Perfect Christmas."

MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:33 am

i start seein in but few min in im like WTF? so no i aint seen it.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:15 am

you should watch beastly birthday only skip the D.W. parts it'll be much better
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:19 am

i will then. hopin it aint shit cause we been waitin new eps at aint shit some h3LLa time now. i seen they done one bout pr00nz but i aint able find it yet Crying or Very sad
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 am

you're welcome
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster Baxter on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:24 pm

Francine Frensky wrote:Okay, is there any particular reason why I don't see a SINGLE ONE OF MYSELF in any of these clips?
You didn't hear it from me, but word on the set is that your popularity ratings are in the toilet, Francine. Everyone likes Ladonna better!
Buster Baxter
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:58 am

wow buster, you better start running...there's no telling what francine is going to do to you after a crack like that Shocked
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:25 am

She'll crack his neck! Very Happy
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:55 am

wow...francine logged in, saw buster's post, and didn't murder him
it's a miracle....my baby has been spared
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Don't be too hasty. She might be preparing something...
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top