Postcards From Buster - Episode Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Postcards From Buster - Episode Discussion

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:43 pm

Having recently broken down and purchased several of the Postcards From Buster episodes that aren't readily available on Youtube, I though it'd be a jolly good idea to have a thread devoted to the series.  The animation quality tends to vary wildly from episode to episode, ranging from barely articulated cutouts to being on par with the earlier Arthur seasons.  While I watch it primarily for the animation and new situations involving the regular cast, it's proven amusing to bear witness to Buster wandering around in the real world, annoying people with an endless barrage of questions and being shocked over real life horrors such as animal slaughterhouses.  

I'll start off with HOOPS AND DRUMS.  This one centers around an ongoing conflict between Fern and Francine over Fern's abject failure to excel at sports, while Buster slacks off and visits an Indian Reservation.  The animation sequences in this one were easily as good as Arthur Seasons 1-6, and the episode really did a great job of showing both Francine and Fern's more interesting quirks and nastier sides.  Overall, I was really impressed.  Some highlights include:

-Fern falling on her butt during a basketball game and getting chewed out by Francine while she sits in defeat making one of her cutest faces ever.  She also sports a blue ribbon during this episode instead of her canon red.
-Francine's level of domineering is at its all-time high.  She spends most of the episode screaming at people or disparaging them in some way or another.  This was a real treat to see, since I've long been wanting her to revert to her earlier, more callous self.
-Likewise, Fern's icy, resentful demeanor rears its head when Buster calls her to console her after she ruins the playoffs (again).  Her response is utterly cold and sarcastic, reminding me a lot of how she responded to him in Buster's Secret Admirer when he tried to lay the moves on her.  To make matters worse, we have to see Fern's dirty socks for a full 30 seconds.
-Various adults getting visibly irritated with Buster for asking so many questions, at times even telling him to leave them alone.
-Buster making "cooooool" comments about drug-related Native American names like, "Star Weed" and "Grass Dance."  
-Buster dribbling a basketball and, for some reason, having slender, African-American human hands.  I still don't know quite what to say about this.   scratch

All in all, it was a great watch.  Definitely worth the $1.99 you can stream it for on Amazon.  I highly recommend it to anyone who really loves the older episodes and doesn't mind dropping a few quarters for some new misadventures.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Postcards From Buster - Episode Discussion

Post by BionicBunny on Sat May 17, 2014 2:35 pm

I honestly don't watch PFB anymore.My PBS station stopped showing it years ago,so I can't offer no discussions.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun May 18, 2014 10:14 am

It's still incredibly hard to find a lot of the episodes. Half of Season 1 is available for $2 a pop on Amazon and a few random episodes are on Youtube, but for most of it you'd have to actually buy the complete series on DVD...which I might actually do very shortly.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sun May 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Oh,that complete series set? It's actually just the first season,not the entire series.It fooled a lot of us back in the day.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed May 21, 2014 9:57 am

Ah, thanks for informing me of this most foul deception on part of PBS. I'll probably still pick it up nonetheless, since Season 1 had most of the interesting-sounding episodes that can't be found online otherwise.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Wed May 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Yes,I was quite angry when I first discovered that it was only the first season.But yeah,the first season is definitely worth buying.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:25 pm

I want to see the episode where Buster visited the school for the blind I heard Marina Prunella's best friend was also in that episode. pirat
Buster & Molly Lover
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:14 am

r33na got run down i heard  Crying or Very sad
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMilanTooner on Tue May 02, 2017 7:41 pm

[reviving a dead topic bc of vid being worked on]

So I've been working on a pilot for a review series, and I decided to make the first episode about Postcards from Buster and its insane production history. After watching a good SIXTEEN episodes via the Paramount DVDs from the local library (which have been around since I was a kid!), along with going nuts and buying three of the Paramount VHSs (one of them being the demo tape for "Buster's Outdoor Journeys"), and TBH...this show was something of a mixed bag for me.

I think the concept, both for the show AND its format, is genuinely interesting: Buster's travels around America and beyond with his dad, and a live-action/animation POV blend? It's pretty great! And the live-action stuff is genuinely interesting.

But at the same time, man does it feel awkward at times. Between the obvious work-arounds for budget, the awkward transitions between live-action and animation (i.e. going from a fully populated human environment to a really bleak and weird anthro environment), and the forced-so-kids-will-download-them-from-the-website musical interludes, it's a bit of an oddball.

Won't say much else to spoil the review and what it discusses, but what do you guys think of the show?

also, if anyone has the "Buster's Got the Beat" VHS, let me know
TheMilanTooner
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Sat May 06, 2017 5:08 pm

I actually haven't watched a single PFB episode to this day. Dunno why... Guess I was never that into US geography? Surprised
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Sun May 07, 2017 6:17 am

If Buster went to different places in Russia, that would be a whole other adventure. Just imagine "Grave Danger in Groszny"...
ZeGermanArthurFan
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Mon May 08, 2017 4:28 am

"Postcards from GULAG"? Very Happy
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon May 08, 2017 11:50 pm

A much-needed revival of this topic, indeed.  PFB was so strange and amusing on so many levels...
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Tue May 09, 2017 5:40 am

I just meant the GULAG thing as a joke. Didn't know you'd be so on board with it. O.o
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sat May 13, 2017 4:57 pm

i aint seen em but imma try see em.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Sun May 14, 2017 11:18 pm

I was always bothered by wondering how the live action people felt talking to toons.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon May 15, 2017 1:10 pm

prolly rape em an shit.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile