Photobucket Ransoming Users Accounts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Photobucket Ransoming Users Accounts

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:07 pm

It's hard to believe that anybody out there would still be using Photobucket, but they do, and I've been one of them: I've been using Photobucket for about twelve years now, and it was mainly at the suggestion of some people here when I was looking for a service to store pics to avoid using up space and bandwidth on servers that would host websites I did. After all these years, I continued to use Photobucket simply because they were, once upon a time, the most reliable and secure image-hosting service out there: other alternatives were always (and in many cases, still are) sketchy.

Then over the years, Photobucket started changing: I remember several years ago, they started distorting and compressing uploaded images as a way of conserving their own bandwidth . . . they eventually stopped doing it, but the damage they did was pemanent and irreversible, so now many of my older pics I have on Photobucket look like low-quality JPEGs that were edited in Microsoft Paint. More recently, they started resizing uploads that were over 1000px - I didn't have too many images larger than that size, but on some occasions, I would, so now, likewise, the damage has been done and is irreversible. Then they started policing what you could upload to your account, even if they were set to private (much like how private and unlisted videos on YouTube can still receive copyright strikes).

Now the icing on the cake: over the past few days, I've been noticing images that were hosted on Photobucket on other sites were suddenly disappearing and being replaced with something that said 3rd party hosting had been exceeded, and as of today, my Photobucket images have been affected by this as well. I was really curious about what exactly was going on here, so after looking into it, I found out what's going on: Photobucket has decided to ransom its users accounts into having them pay $400 to upgrade their accounts to restore the ability to post images on other sites (including forums) . . . and from what I'm seeing, Photobucket isn't meeting their part of this ponzi scheme and some people out there have already forked over $400 to them only to have nothing changed back.

I don't even know what to do, myself. I've got too many pics uploaded to my bucket over the past twelve years to move them to another service, meanwhile I still don't know of any reliable and secure image-hosting service out there.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Photobucket Ransoming Users Accounts

Post by Coyote_Mao on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:46 am

Photobucket? Boy, that name sure brings back memories. Sounds like their service really went down the drain since the 2000s though.
Coyote_Mao
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fudgy brown sludge on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:44 am

i am hoping they go as bankrupt as their morals.
fudgy brown sludge
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:06 am

This has dealt the Slums a crippling blow.  Most of the images, puzzles rounds, and Photoshops I've uploaded over the years were hosted by none other than this now-craven excuse for an image hosting service.  I gradually stopped using it over the past few months as the load times got slower and slower, but I now regret ever having given it the time of day.

Fortunately, it's only a temporary problem.  I promise, I will re-upload everything to a more respectable outfit in the very near future. Crying or Very sad
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:05 pm

fuck em then.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffy Crosswire on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Not sure if you guys know by now but The Brian showed me a trick to fix Photobucket links.

There's an extension called Photobucket embedded fix that you can add to your browser. So you can view and save those photos.
Muffy Crosswire
Little Miss Mod - Moderator
Little Miss Mod - Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:53 am

Didn't know Photobucket existed in the Arthur universe - I would have assumed it was called "Picturepail" or something. Very Happy
ZeGermanArthurFan
Ass of Jacks
Ass of Jacks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top