(Sigh) I Hate to Say This, But. . . .

View previous topic View next topic Go down

(Sigh) I Hate to Say This, But. . . .

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri 22 Sep 2017 - 0:20

I think ARTHUR is finally just dead to me now.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the franchise as a whole as well as the series very much (well, more specifically, the older seasons), but . . . I mean, between my PBS no longer playing the series at all, PBS Kids baiting us with older episodes then dumping them for current episodes, the future of the series growing increasingly rocky and uncertain . . . it just feels as though ARTHUR has finally been laid to rest. As you probably read in the Season 21 thread, I hardly have any hope for any of the upcoming episodes, and probably won't even bother with them (I didn't bother with any of Season 19, or Season 18 after "The Tardy Tumbler," but mainly because of Arthur's girly voice those seasons).

Even, the fandom, in general, also seems to be fizzling out and dwindling down as well: vderek hasn't updated his D.W. comics in a while, Travis has pretty much turned everybody away from fanfics, even YouTube Poops seem to be few and far between now.

Really, at this point, all I really wish is that older seasons would be released on DVD, but I doubt that will ever happen . . . come to think of it, does any PBS show ever get season set releases?

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: (Sigh) I Hate to Say This, But. . . .

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri 22 Sep 2017 - 9:21

dfb bro they doin more em in lil bit so mabe some eom be bout pr00nz or em n1ggaz v $atan.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike1 on Sun 24 Sep 2017 - 21:19

hows it bad now???
mike1
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue 26 Sep 2017 - 0:12

Kerry9Story wrote:dfb bro they doin more em in lil bit so mabe some eom be bout pr00nz or em n1ggaz v $atan.
Can't you ever say anything comprehensible? Ever?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue 26 Sep 2017 - 0:52

cant help im dumb as fuck Crying or Very sad
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue 26 Sep 2017 - 4:49

While I still consider myself a casual fan of the series, I'd by lying if I said I didn't share some of the sentiment here.  There has been a bit of a lag in way of detailed episode and character discussion.  It may pick back up once a new batch of episodes comes out, which usually seems to be the case.  It's interesting, I also sort of view it as an older, retired cartoon sometimes, just when I think of the feel and atmosphere the earlier seasons had.  

I suspect that, like Beatlemania or the War of 1812, it may simply be something that was the distinct, indelible product of a very specific decade and culture.  It happened, it flourished, it was beautiful, but then like any other such ephemereal butterfly, it had to fold up and die.  It may have happened slowly, as the vibrant 90s and early 2000s dragged out into the lukewarm mid-2000s, stagnant 2010s and whatever cultural oblivion we're in at the moment.  In comparison to other shows, I would maintain that even the sparse glimmer of the old magic that surfaces in newer episodes is enough to maintain my interest for the time being.  Every so often, hey, we even get a new episode that's entirely fulfilling.  

I suppose I'm just riding it out and seeing where things go at this point.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WatteauMasterDetective on Tue 26 Sep 2017 - 9:35

I must say that I've been observing this group on and off for some time. I want to return somehow, but I have a feeling that I too am starting to lose interest in Arthur completely.

These recent episodes don't feel as effective as they were back then, even with one shining gem per season. PBS has not been doing a good job airing the recent seasons which seems to suggest some uneasiness in production.

And probably the biggest factor for me personally, that Travis fudge-boy (yes, I still can't for the life of me say the F word, even to myself, but the feeling to do so is there) hasn't been making the fanfiction community any easier. It still looks hopeful cos there is a promising return of GOOD stories for a change but it just isn't the same when most of my good friends from the fandom had left because of that stupid idiot. He's been getting less attention nowadays, but maybe it's because we've decided to move on and forget he even exists. Either way, we have not been making any effort to return.

Even so, I'm very sad to see my fanboy go. But I have high hopes the franchise will rise again. I really hope the legacy left by Marc Brown doesn't die like this.

I will remain a fan, just not as big as I was before. I will try my best to come to this group to at least entertain the crowd. I will even think about redoing my fanfiction again. But I must accept that I cannot be as passionate as I was before, unless PBS gives me a reason to...
WatteauMasterDetective
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue 26 Sep 2017 - 9:58

It's understandable.  Sometimes, I wonder if it's just natural to gain and lose interest in a given fandom from time to time.  Even if Arthur had remained as good as it once was, I think that I'd just need to give it a break once in a while to pursue other interests or real life as needed.

Regarding Travis, I'll confess that I just can't bring myself to be turned away by him.  He's just too over-the-top hilarious.  In fact, we (Meg and I) have a ritual habit of doing voice recordings of his more sordid tales late at night for kicks n' giggles.  It's impossible to make it through a single paragraph without stumbling over the shitpile of laughter, horror and confusion.  We should upload some of them for the community's general amusement.  

I mean, it's not like we haven't already printed, published and circulated some of his greatest works...

A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WatteauMasterDetective on Tue 26 Sep 2017 - 11:34

Well, as long as his works are being mocked in any way instead of being praised as actual stories, then have a great time XD
WatteauMasterDetective
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Tue 26 Sep 2017 - 18:59

Is Travis the guy that haz a savier speling disodor liek dis?
ZeGermanArthurFan
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffy Crosswire on Tue 26 Sep 2017 - 19:58

Oh Francine! Your married to Arthur. How cute!

Muffy Crosswire
Little Miss Mod - Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike1 on Tue 26 Sep 2017 - 22:24

what does he do?
mike1
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WatteauMasterDetective on Wed 27 Sep 2017 - 9:56

ZeGermanArthurFan wrote:Is Travis the guy that haz a savier speling disodor liek dis?

Nah, thats a different guy. Travis has more of a mind disorder hahaha XD

mike1 wrote:what does he do?

Just search Travis 2017 onto fanfiction dot net and you'll see the thrash he's posted (read at your own risk)
WatteauMasterDetective
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Sat 30 Sep 2017 - 5:50

Agreed with Lotta Moms on the Travis thing. He's a worse Shakespeare Hemmingway writing terrible 'narratives' in earnest, but i'm a nerd with alter ego so of course i say that.

That potion sure does have weird effects, doesn't it?

Effects aside, though, my recent lack of activity here can be chalked up to the legitimately dull premises given for Season 21. Back in its heyday, Arthur still had simple premises, but managed to include new, interesting plot elements and strong characterization and humour (I cite 'Meet Binky' as a good example of this - the episode doesn't exactly have the most original premise, but it is one of the funniest and most solid episodes of the entire show). The problem is that since around season 5 or so, the show hasn't had this humour (with a few exceptions, but these are few and far between) and since around season 8, it hasn't had this strong characterization. Without these elements, the show sinks into pretentious, bland writing or simple laziness - to sum it up, Arthur isn't unique anymore. The show lost its creative voice around season 5 and its structural solidity around season 8, leaving a dull husk of an educational show which without the original voice cast or Joe Fallon is surprisingly hard to refill.

Sorry for that rant there, but I am beginning to tire of the laziness the 'modern Arthur' era has been plagued with (since around season 11) and feel that Ladonna is beginning to screw up the chemistry between Arthur, Buster and Brain - with the new Haunted Treehouse special, shouldn't Brain have been used for the sleepover instead of Ladonna? I understand the need to avoid a rehash of Arthur's First Sleepover, but Brain's externally-reasonable yet internally insecure nature would shed an interesting light on him in a Halloween special instead of 'SWEHT PEHTUNIA! A GHOWST IN MAH RHUBARB PAH!'

Last edited by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Sun 1 Oct 2017 - 5:14; edited 2 times in total
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WatteauMasterDetective on Sat 30 Sep 2017 - 9:33

Jekyll Jekyll Hyde wrote:Agreed with Lotta Moms on the Travis thing. He's a worse Shakespare Hemmingway writing terrible 'narratives' in earnest...

Please. Calling him a Shakespeare Hemingway is an overstatement. That guy's just nothing. No talent other than giving Lotta and CMSAB11 fun times mocking his work.
WatteauMasterDetective
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue 3 Oct 2017 - 23:30

^his dumbass soon i hope Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 21:10

Muffy Crosswire wrote:Oh Francine! Your married to Arthur. How cute!

Uh that's the only good thing about his fics Muffy
You'll be so intrigued my mine Wink all the ARCine and Muffy x Buster you can eat
Plus Sue Ellen x George
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.fan fiction/jcrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffy Crosswire on Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 21:15

ArthurFrancineFan wrote:
Muffy Crosswire wrote:Oh Francine! Your married to Arthur. How cute!

Uh that's the only good thing about his fics Muffy
You'll be so intrigued my mine Wink all the ARCine and Muffy x Buster you can eat
Plus Sue Ellen x George

That's not funny! That's gross! I would never be Buster's admirer. I am his very un-secret disapprover.
Muffy Crosswire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Tue 31 Oct 2017 - 22:29

OK you can have Binky then XD
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.fan fiction/jcrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 13:35

Yes, There running out of ideals like with The Simpsons and South Park. Because the show's been on a number of years now. getting new characters like Marina...Which I like by the way. It's just What else are they going to have them do on the show? scratch geek
Buster & Molly Lover
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeGermanArthurFan on Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 14:04

Is it just me, or is anyone else having the feeling that Danny is going to be the next regular character?

They should adapt some of the Good Sport books (well, not The Best Coach Ever obviously) Not only are they great episode ideas, but the one about Francine barely focuses on sports, or a sport that's barely a sport...
ZeGermanArthurFan
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top