The Let's Discuss Classic Episodes Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Let's Discuss Classic Episodes Thread

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Since there's not a lot going on around lately, and since many of us have become disenchanted with how rocky and uncertain ARTHUR's future has become what with certain PBS stations across the country dropping the show altogether, I thought to liven things up that we should have a thread like this.

So basically, here's the rundown of the thread: we'll just simply discuss classic episodes (let's say, pre-Season 9, but that's not set in stone) completely at random - someone throw out an episode to start a discussion, then anybody else who wants to chime in with their thoughts and opinions go right ahead until somebody decides to move onto the next episode (perhaps we could do about two episodes per thread page, depending on how much an episode is discussed).

I'll start with "Clarissa is Cracked."

I've always enjoyed this episode, however it's only been recently that I've figured out the reasons why I enjoy it so much: the big one being that there's so much going on in this episode that it's amazing they managed to fit so much content into a short 11 minutes. The fact that we even get to see some Read family history with the flashback of Thora as a little girl was very nicely done (and really interesting that Michael Caloz did young Thora's voice as well) - it shows us that similarities and differences in what things were like back in her time compared to more modern times, showing that while D.W. may have played a little rougher, she did a lot of the same things that Thora did when she was her age. And speaking of D.W., this is one of those rare episodes that doesn't portray her in either a negative or a positive light: instead, we get a story of seeing how she actually wants to right a wrong before returning Clarissa to Thora by week's end after accidentally breaking her; a very rare moment for D.W. to show her taking such responsibility for her actions.

Other favorite little moments of mine are seeing Thora not happy with playing with her older brothers' hand-me-downs, and outright refusing to playing with a potato fairy godmother doll one of them made for her (guess she thought Mr. Potato Head was a stupid concept years later, lol). Also Ratburn saving the day, even though D.W. has a brief freak out when she hears what she assumes to be him killing Clarissa. Not to mention, this perfect line D.W. belts out: "What kind of doctor goes on vacation when there are dolls in trouble!?"

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Let's Discuss Classic Episodes Thread

Post by WhoseLineFan on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Does this count?

The episode where Mrs. McGrady has cancer.
WhoseLineFan
Japanese School Girl
Japanese School Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:40 pm

WhoseLineFan wrote:Does this count?

Nope.

How about "Play It Again D.W."?!

Despite D.W.'s treatment of Arthur, this is a gutbuster and spawned many SpaDinner YouTube Poops. Anyone who's seen it loves the twist
ending.

And "Arthur's Not Real Almost Live Music Festival"? Come on, that's a classic!

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 pm

shits 1 im member bout Muffy readn em $thitass bookz on some tshit an er read em her fends so Brain Arthur Francine Buster all oeber bu like muffy WTF shits shit bu t Muffy jus like IDGAF IM READ EM but Brain im thinkin like NO FUCK U IM READ NOTHER 1 but his shits b0re. Muffy all innit the nher fucken d4d come in like NO MUFFEN IT SUX BUT U STILL WAN EM I GOT EM so Muffy finaly jus like fuck it -_- idk ep was ok but in seen oens better.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffy Crosswire on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:41 am

Kerry9Story wrote:shits 1 im member bout Muffy readn em $thitass bookz on some tshit an er read em her fends so Brain Arthur Francine Buster all oeber bu like muffy WTF shits shit bu t Muffy jus like IDGAF IM READ EM but Brain im thinkin like NO FUCK U IM READ NOTHER 1 but his shits b0re. Muffy all innit the nher fucken d4d come in like NO MUFFEN IT SUX BUT U STILL WAN EM I GOT EM so Muffy finaly jus like fuck it -_- idk ep was ok but in seen oens better.

My Classy Classics Club. They were admittedly right, they were just to sell dolls. The Quark Knight and The Stable Stallion we're good reads when I gave them the chance.
Muffy Crosswire
Little Miss Mod - Moderator
Little Miss Mod - Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Ah yes, the long-pined for glory of the classic era of Arthur may never return, but at least we have four seasons of great storytelling and humour (the latter now a lost art to the show) to reflect on.

Some of the best include:
Arthur's Almost Live Not Real Music Festival: It was a bold idea to experiment with the format of an educational show like this, particularly with the censors at the time, but boy, did it pay off. The songs are completely earworms and the sequence are memorable and well edited, and I was Jekyll Jekyll HYDE JEKYLL HYDE HYDE...never mind.
That's a Baby Show!: Yup, I'm treading the line by discussing the last 'classic' episode, but either way, this is probably the funniest episode of the entire show, which is damned impressive considering the show's 21-year run. The Love Ducks are awesome, the gags are sharp and the cold opening has to be one of the most gut-busting things ever set to animation.
Buster Hits the Books: The plot flows well and foreshadows the next episode's events nicely (with the focus being on Buster before he leaves the show for 17 episodes) and I don't want to go to Afka-Khazoom. No seriously, I really don't. I prefer to stick to stealing second base, thank you very much.
Meet Binky: An episode that promised to be exciting from its concept alone (an episode like this has to be exciting to mirror Arthur's emotions on meeting the band itself) and delivered amazingly with some of the best gags in the show ("Mmm... TURNIP!")
The Ballad of Buster Baxter: Another unique one that I believe works great. The pacing and tone are well-done and Art Garfunkel's music definitely aids in adding a unique flavour to a vital episode.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseLineFan on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:04 pm

MarleyandPal96 wrote:
WhoseLineFan wrote:Does this count?

Nope.

How about  "Play It Again D.W."?!

Despite D.W.'s treatment of Arthur, this is a gutbuster and spawned many SpaDinner YouTube Poops. Anyone who's seen it loves the twist
ending.

And "Arthur's Not Real Almost Live Music Festival"? Come on, that's a classic!

Then how about It's Only Rock And Roll then?
WhoseLineFan
Japanese School Girl
Japanese School Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Okay, this wasn't the direction I intended for the thread, but whatever, at least it's giving us something to do around here.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseLineFan on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:22 pm

What about the 100th episode of the show? Is that considered classic?
WhoseLineFan
Japanese School Girl
Japanese School Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:05 am

WhoseLineFan wrote:What about the 100th episode of the show? Is that considered classic?
"Classic' counts as anything from season 1 to season 4 (basically, anything from 'Arthur's Eyes' to 'That's a Baby Show!').

You seem to be pushing the line a little when it comes to 'classic'. Why not simply bring up an episode that is definitely 'classic' instead of suggesting boundaries for what is and isn't classic? I guess that 'The Great MacGrady' is classic for a kid born in, say, 2003, but I think our resident Homeless Santa here may be suggesting we discuss episodes from the Fallon era.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseLineFan on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Jekyll Jekyll Hyde wrote:
WhoseLineFan wrote:What about the 100th episode of the show? Is that considered classic?
"Classic' counts as anything from season 1 to season 4 (basically, anything from 'Arthur's Eyes' to 'That's a Baby Show!').

You seem to be pushing the line a little when it comes to 'classic'. Why not simply bring up an episode that is definitely 'classic' instead of suggesting boundaries for what is and isn't classic? I guess that 'The Great MacGrady' is classic for a kid born in, say, 2003, but I think our resident Homeless Santa here may be suggesting we discuss episodes from the Fallon era.

What about Meet Binky/Binky Rules?
WhoseLineFan
Japanese School Girl
Japanese School Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:19 pm

WhoseLineFan wrote:
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde wrote:

What about Meet Binky/Binky Rules?

Yeah, that's a pretty good one. 'Meet Binky' is actually in my top 5 of the entire show for the gags and wide creativity it presents.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseLineFan on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:08 pm

And who could forget Arthur's Eyes, which was the very first episode of the show.
WhoseLineFan
Japanese School Girl
Japanese School Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:41 pm

see they done oer betr 1s Rolling Eyes
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile