"Vomitrocious" Discussion

Go down

"Vomitrocious" Discussion

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:19 pm

"Vomitrocious" aired today on PBS KIDS. I feel like Season 8 is rarely shown anymore, so I decided to watch this one a little more attentively than I normally do. Anyways, I've always found this episode to be kind of odd. It's very unusual to see blood on George's napkins and tissues. This is one of the few times we see such a visual of blood in the entire series. The cold open seems very rushed and confusing: everyone makes fun of George then Francine barfs, yet the rest of the episode seems to imply the nosebleeds and puking are somehow related.

I have so many questions that seem to have no solid answers given in the show. Like, why is Francine feeling so nauseous? Is it really like the nurse said, just a 24-hour bug? If so, then shouldn't her mother kept her home from school? Why is her gag reflex only brought on when she sees George? And George...why so many nose bleeds all of a sudden? And George suggests that he and Francine are blatantly NOT friends. Very strange.

What's the moral of this story anyways? Don't laugh at others when they're sick, even if they're not "popular"...what?

Season 8 has quite a few oddball episodes, and I think this one takes the cake.

Last edited by PrettyCoolStairs on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Vomitrocious" Discussion

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:30 am

Honestly any pre-Season 9 seasons are rarely shown anymore, and have been for years now, which is one of the reasons I really don't watch much of ARTHUR anymore in general.

I think Francine's barfing because of George's nose bleed is the result of two things: for one thing, some people are really squeemish at the sight of blood, that may or may not be the case with Franky since she didn't vomit right away upon seeing George's nose bleed, so I think it was the other thing: hidden guilt. Notice how she stopped being nauseous after she stood up for and defended George in front of everyone else. Psychologically speaking, the nausea spells were probably a form of guilt for how she was making fun of his nose bleeds, while also feeling insecure about being made fun of for something similar.

George's nose bleeds could be the result of an unexplained problem: he could have some damage in his nasal cavity, like a ruptured blood vessel or something . . . I went through a similar scenario where I had really bad nose bleeds, and that's what the problem was. My only concern is that, eventually, George may have to have the inside of his nose cauterized to stop the bleeding, and lemme tell you, that hurts like hell! It feels like an entire colony of wasp have flown up into your nose and are stinging electricity into it. Worst pain I ever felt in my life.

And this was still when George was gradually becoming more of a prominent character, rather than just a background extra, so I can see why he may feel he and Francine aren't really friends.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:06 pm

I like that episode, I think it was just guilt when Francine made fun of poor George like that. I think it does teach you a lesson about not to make fun of other kids with problems, But I don't get why is Francine is so dam popular with the other kids. And Muffy only gave George a napkin because Francine told them It isn't nice to treat people like that. That part I still don't get? Question No
Buster & Molly Lover
Buster's Wants To Go To Molly's House!

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:05 pm

Because athletic kids are always popular among their peers in school, and with Francine being the best athlete at Lakewood, she's essentially like a celebrity to them.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:15 pm

It always bugged me how everybody was suddenly nice to George because Francine yelled at them. It almost sends the message that Francine's opinion is the only one that matters, and nobody else's.

If, say, Fern stuck up for George in a similar way, would anyone listen to her?
Roabe
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:39 am

Interesting how PCS in his original post described season 8 as having 'quite a few oddball episodes'. I myself have always considered season 8 to be a weird transitional season where the stronger plots of the earlier seven seasons began to degrade into weird experiments ('Desk Wars', although that was admittedly a fun episode, and 'Desperately Seeking Stanley', where toys in the Arthur universe can somehow communicate using spoken words), or in some cases, degrade into largely plotless affairs (nothing actually happens in 'Flea to Be You and Me', outside of Pepe's flashback). It seems to be symbolic of the writers having mostly run dry of ideas by season 8 and thus having to push harder for material (several of the plots in seasons 9-21 are thin enough to suggest that grasping at straws generally describe the show's writers now regardless).
Either way, you are also correct in that 'Vomitrocious!' is one of the most bizarre installments of season 8. It seems to be interestingly divisive - some residents around here enjoy it for the Francine/George chemistry, whilst others tend to criticize it for its weak structure and moral (I'm probably in the latter camp - you are definitely right about the issues regarding the moral).
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:22 am

Snowth Poogle wrote:Because athletic kids are always popular among their peers in school, and with Francine being the best athlete at Lakewood, she's essentially like a celebrity to them.

You Got That Right! Basketball
Buster & Molly Lover

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fern Walters on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:07 am

Roabe wrote:It always bugged me how everybody was suddenly nice to George because Francine yelled at them. It almost sends the message that Francine's opinion is the only one that matters, and nobody else's.

I'd like to think I can raise my voice and be firm when I need to be. I do have trouble doing that half the time, though.
Fern Walters
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:I think it was the other thing: hidden guilt. Notice how she stopped being nauseous after she stood up for and defended George in front of everyone else. Psychologically speaking, the nausea spells were probably a form of guilt for how she was making fun of his nose bleeds, while also feeling insecure about being made fun of for something similar.

I probably overlooked the hidden guilt you bring up here. It does make sense when you look at it this way. I just wish the writers had better conveyed this feeling of guilt in Francine. Maybe when her mother was dropping her off at school, she could have told her the real reason why she was feeling sick: her ashamed feeling toward making fun of George.

Snowth Poogle wrote:And this was still when George was gradually becoming more of a prominent character, rather than just a background extra, so I can see why he may feel he and Francine aren't really friends.

This is true. In fact, this may be one of the first turning point episodes in George's character development beyond just the "shy kid with the dummy".

Roabe wrote:It always bugged me how everybody was suddenly nice to George because Francine yelled at them. It almost sends the message that Francine's opinion is the only one that matters, and nobody else's.

I agree with Roabe. The whole Sugar Bowl scene bugs me too. There's so much changing of emotion between the characters and it all seems rushed. Francine is so quick to realize her popularity (as if she didn't know this already??) after George exclaims, "You're popular!" and everyone else is suddenly ready to hand George a tissue for his nose.

Overall, I don't think I dislike this episode. It's just that the messaging and overall teaching point of the episode seems very loosely organized throughout the story line. It's almost as if one of the writers thought it would be fun to have an episode about someone puking in front of the whole school (which admittedly is a funny and relatable topic), but then, of course, they had to put some kind of educational element into such a story.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:13 am

That was a really klutzy, clumsy resolution. Especially when Muffy actually says, "Don't worry George, if Francine says it, it must be true!" That line just . . . I don't even know how to describe just how left field that line is.

But can we all just bring up the oddest oddity of this odd episode? The fact that despite part of the plot of "April 9th" from Season 7 dealt with Mr. Morris breaking his leg, and having to move in with his daughter in New Mexico . . . there he is, in the cafeteria, mopping up Francine's vomit, in a Season 8 episode.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum