Season 18 Discussion

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Season 18 Discussion

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Who wants to bet that "Shelter From The Storm" will finally be the episode where we see Bud without his hat?
If so, I'm sure we'll have a certain rabbit to thank!  albino
I'm keeping my fingers (and ears) crossed...
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:11 pm

The Tattletale Frog: Bleh, sounds boring...

D.W. & Bud's Higher Purpose: Wonder World's getting a new rollercoaster? Interesting. Still sounds dull because it's another D.W./Bud episode, though.

The Friend Who Wasn't There: Hmm, Muffy has an imaginary friend? It'll be cool to see how this one plays out.

Surprise!: I'm glad we have an episode focused on the Frenskys, I'll definitely give it a chance.

The Case of the Girl with the Long Face: Hm, we haven't had an episode that centered on Fern and Buster in quite a while...okay, also willing to give this one a chance.

The Substitute Arthur: YES, TWO BUSTER EPISODES!! I don't really think he'll be in character for this one, though. Buster has been shown to play fairly in other episodes :/... Oh man...PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T MAKE BUSTER A JERK!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEEEASE, WRITERS!!! Don't fuck up his character like you did Arthur's!!! *sigh*...I'll have to wait and see how they pull the episode off, I guess. BUT IF THEY FUCK UP HIS CHARACTER....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  Evil or Very Mad....

Best Wishes: Eh...idk why, but it sorta sounds like Arthur's Lucky Pencil...

The Tardy Tumbler: Well, we haven't had a Prunella-centered episode in a while, even though she isn't my favorite character this episode may have a chance.

Hm, all in all, this half sounds meh. Really looking forward to the second half of S18, though, mainly because of Shelter from the Storm.
Oh, and did any of you notice how there are NO Pal and Kate episodes listed for this season???? NOT A SINGLE ONE!!! WOW!!!!! HALLELUJAH!!!!!! It could be the saving grace of this season! Very Happy

Also, I see that the Arthur staff have posted this image on the official Facebook and Twitter pages...

Pretty sure it's a screencap from The Case of the Girl with the Long Face.
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:33 am

The Tattletale Frog: "When Bud is blamed for an accident D.W. causes, she has to decide whether to let her friend take the fall."

In other words...Arthur and the True Francine, Part II.  Neutral

Of the first half of Season 18, I think Surprise! and The Case of the Girl with the Long Face have the most potential, since it sounds like they'll focus on those characteristics of Francine and Fern that make them so interesting.  Namely, Francine's spiteful nature and Fern's sullen, moody personality.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:50 am

The Telltale Frog is a rehash of Crime and Consequences as well. How sad that they're recycling plots from one season ago.

The Friend Who Wasn't There seems like it's going to be in the supernatural realm. It's interesting that they picked Muffy to be the main character in it, because that kind of thing is not really in her personality. But hey, it's a Muffeh episode.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:00 am

pr00n1e!
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:21 pm

In that case, I suppose that would make it Arthur and the True Francine, Part III. *sigh*

Likewise, I'm increasingly interested in The Friend Who Wasn't There, specifically because, as you mention, it sounds so surreal and strange for Muffy.  On one hand, it's the sort of thing that you'd expect from D.W., but on the other hand, the "early Muffy" who we all prefer did have some more childish traits that she hasn't really shown in later seasons.  Perhaps it'll be a good opportunity to re-align her character.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Megne22 wrote:
Also, I see that the Arthur staff have posted this image on the official Facebook and Twitter pages...

I love this promo pic so much. Just badass. A Perry Mason feel to it. Easily the best promo pic from this show in quite some time. Makes me forgive the infamous Muffy Selfie Laughing
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 磁計算機騎士 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:28 am

Megne22 wrote:

My primary interest in this picture is where it is supposed to be. I think Muffy's house has paintings like that, but it could be Buster's house.

I like the return of Buster's detective trench coat. It gives a better look for him than his Poirot-wannabe costume.

And is that tape recorder he's holding an actual tape-using model? I haven't seen those in a while.

From Season 7, Episode 3a: "Ants in Arthur's Pants" (first aired October 10, 2002)

Last edited by Magnezonomon on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing image display.)
磁計算機騎士
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile http://wikia.com/w:c:arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:05 am

Now he all H4mburgL4R an shit, gonna r0bble dat a$$, C0bble~G0bble dat Sa$$   ~!
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 am

That tape recorder is certainly an interesting discovery.  Likewise, green old-style phone in the background is a real throwback to an earlier era.  Even over a decade ago, I don't remember too many folks still using them.  It's those little things that make watching old Arthur episodes so nostalgic for me.  Another one is watching Jane use her old school tabletop calculator to do her accounting work, and the simple fact that nobody really had computers or smart phones back in the first few seasons.  Everything seemed so much more pristine, like a Garden of Eden that's long since been been lost to the Great Flood of modern culture.

Last edited by A Lotta Moms on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:16 am

I knew it,2004 is making a comeback.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:23 am

well he needs get his sh1t gether.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:45 pm

I found clips!
The Case of the Girl with the Long Face:

The Friend Who Wasn't There:

Surprise!:

The Substitute Arthur:

I'm feeling optimistic about Season 18, the episodes actually look half-decent and the animation looks a tad better, the movements aren't as stiff and jerky as they were. Hopefully the episodes will be just as good as the clips! *crosses fingers*
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 磁計算機騎士 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:49 am

[deleted]

Last edited by 磁計算機騎士 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:41 am; edited 3 times in total
磁計算機騎士
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:22 am

Once again, a big round of applause for finding and posting these previews!  I'm really looking forward to Season 18 at this point.  Hopefully, it'll follow Season 17's upward trajectory.  Having watched them over a few times, here are my thoughts -

The Case of the Girl with the Long Face
: Absolutely love the black-and-white noir style.  Plus, it was high time to include Detective Buster in Fern and George's imaginary world.  Hoodie Fern was pretty cute, too.  For some reason, I can see her hiding herself in an oversized hoodie on a fairly regular basis by the time the awkward middle and high school years roll around.

The Friend Who Wasn't There: I'm glad to see that Muffy's finally gotten some new angled face frames.  She's taken one of the worst hits when it comes to 9 Story's character designs, so this should help restore some of her former glory.  As suspected, the plot itself seems to involve a dream of some sort.  It'll be interesting to sneak a peek into Muffy's earlier years.  I can only imagine how much more insufferable she must have been. queen

Francine's Revenge: The first thing I noticed - Fern and Rattles getting it on in the background.  I knew there was some serious ship-teasing at work with the way she squinted at his chess skills a few years back.  Still on the Fern note, notice the vintage trench coat and hat Fern has hanging up in the background at 0:24.  I'd love to see her in that getup sometime.  Regarding the plot, I have to wonder if Catherine/Shawn is for real, or if it's going to turn out to be another Chip/Catherine situation where it seems to be more than it really is.  

The Substitute Arthur: I know we discussed the hell out of this one in chat, but wow...we really see how clingy and sensitive Buster is here.  Now I'm getting the idea that he'll come off as less of a jerk than we'd feared, and more of a melancholy wreck.  Love the warped background effect to underscore just how sad his world is when he loses his better half.  Seeing Madison in a pink bunnykini at 1:00 certainly helps brighten the mood, though.  

I just realized that all of season 16 and 17's special hair vectors may be just prototypes for use in the ultimate wind-filled episode at the end of this season (since I am fairly certain the same models will be used again and again).

You're probably right on that one - I can't wait to see the hurricane in action, blowing hair, cars and hopefully Bud Compson's hat (credit to Grebe for the idea) all over the place.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by 磁計算機騎士 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:55 pm

deleted

Last edited by 磁計算機騎士 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:30 am; edited 2 times in total
磁計算機騎士
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

Back to top Go down

Post by squid on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:56 am

Really looking forward to "Best Wishes" really.
squid
Japanese School Girl
Japanese School Girl

View user profile http://jamesmedia.neocities.org

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Check out 0:21 mark. PBS HAS BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO ARTHUR FANART!
http://www.deviantart.com/art/The-Wizard-of-Elwood-Oz-2378036

GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:11 am

YES!! Muffy looks wonderful at this angle! Bring on more of the improved animation! cheers
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:28 am

She does! I agree wholeheartedly. Hopefully the animation will continue move in a wonderful new direction. Very Happy
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Schools out September 29 for Arthur Day be there or be square

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:54 am

*arranges chairs and hangs balloons for the occasion*
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:01 am

I'm there. ;(
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:42 am

Whew...ok!

The Friend Who Wasn't There

I was glad to see the new season kick off with not only a Muffysode, but a pretty darn good one at that. The opening shot of Bailey being forced to wear a vintage women's hat was priceless, but the best Easter egg, by far, was the Citizen Kane reference with the Rosebud wagon. Those of us who've seen the movie and understand the symbolism no doubt got a big kick out of it, since it fits Muffy's character so perfectly. Specifically, since it references a lost part of one's childhood (a central theme in this episode), and because that very loss is used as an indicator of why the central character turned out to be such a greedy tyrant. Very clever.

In fact, the concept of Muffy becoming an object/toy as a result of having lost touch with her original imaginary friend due to her interest in more superficial gadgets suggested a powerful underlying message - namely, that people nowadays are losing that genuine spark that makes them human as a result of falling victim to gadget-based, short attention span-oriented culture. This is driven home in the end when Muffy chooses the simple, natural activity of taking a walk over sitting inside and playing video games. She's re-connected with her imagination, and in doing so, has perhaps come closer to re-connecting with her humanity.

The Wizard of Oz roles were pretty fitting, too. D.W. as Dorothy Winifred, Buster as the brainless Scarecrow, and, of course, Francine in yet another male role as the Cowardly Lion. As seen in the previews, I also really enjoyed Muffy's new angled face frames. All in all, this episode lived up to my high expectations for Season 18 - and perhaps even exceeded them. queen

Surprise!

I thought this one was sufficiently cute. The highlight for me was seeing back into the Frensky family past and beholding Oliver with a well-kept Jewfro...not to mention little Franny with butterfly barrettes. I love you One item that disappointed me was Francine's angled face shots, which, unlike Muffy, look a little awkward. I also notice they threw a Tough Customer moment at us in the beginning when Arthur's wearing that absurd hat, only without Molly! Talk about torture.

Anyway, perhaps the most surreal moment in the episode came during an imaginary scene of Catherine's party (which is supposed to be age-restricted to teenagers), and for some reason, Alex is present and mingling happily amongst the teenagers. Still trying to figure that one out. scratch
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:43 am

The Rosebud wagon also made an appearance in Muffy's old game room in "Sue Ellen Gets Her Goose Cooked."

I noticed a lot of toy cameos throughout this episode- Woogles, Polly Locket, that pigtailed, flushed-faced crying doll that D.W. and other female characters seem to own depending on the episode, etc.

Excellent analysis ALM. A great example of why Muffy is the most underrated character in the series.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top