Season 18 Discussion

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Season 18 Discussion

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks!  Good catch on the Rosebud wagon in Season 6, too - I completely overlooked that one, but it makes sense that it's a recurring reference for her.

Another great moment during Surprise! -
Francine: You guys are about as funny as chicken pox!
Seriously, you'd think Crazy Joe had returned for a brief moment and written that wonderfully inappropriate line himself.  Now that's the True Francine we all know and love.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelandLuigi21 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:38 pm

2 days left and then Bud will be bald.
IsmaelandLuigi21
a rabbit
a rabbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:05 pm

He'll be naked, by golly!
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelandLuigi21 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:21 pm

No.
IsmaelandLuigi21
a rabbit
a rabbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:26 pm

The hare will be bare.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:44 pm

"The Friend Who Wasn't There; Surprise!" was kind of a meh episode, but what really struck me odd was they kind of seemed like they were from different seasons paired together in one episode... I'll explain shortly.

For starters, it seems like the animation for "The Friend Who Wasn't There" has improved some more... that whole giant Pretty Penny thing was eerily smooth and fluid, but the animation in general is less stiff and robotic. I really liked Nadine's intro, that was probably my favorite part of the whole story: you get a sense that Nadine feels that life as D.W.'s imaginary friend is incredibly demanding, but at the same time, you can tell she's dreading the day D.W. outgrows her. Now, I have to ask... does Arthur have another new voice actor again? He sounded like a girl this time around. And that definitely was not Bruce Dinsmore as Bailey.

Now as for "Surprise!", I had a surprise to see Ken Scarborough wrote it! I mean, didn't he leave around the same time Joe Fallon left? I wonder if maybe Ken wrote the script, it got shelved, and now it's been recycled? The story felt more akin to the older, classic episodes... at the same time, the overall animation and voice acting made it seem like it was held over from last season (BTW, does anyone think Catherine's new voice makes her sound too young? Patricia Rodriguez made her sound convincingly like a teenager, but whoever's voicing her now makes her sound like a much younger girl). The concept's been done before (SESAME STREET in 1998 had a similar episode where Elmo was hanging out with Gordon and Susan's son Miles as he plays basketball, then later when his friends show up for a game, Elmo's saddened that he can't come with them because, "It's just the big kids."), but surprisingly, the story wasn't really well-executed. It spent too much time on Francine, Muffy, Buster, and Binky plotting revenge on Catherine for not inviting Francine to the party, then finally in the end, it's like, "So I came up with my master plan, but I felt bad about all the crap Catherine put me through and I didn't want her to feel that way, so I decided not to do it after all." The end. It just fell flat. And I guess it wasn't really Sean that Catherine had a crush on, because notice the grossed out look on her face when Francine announces that over the P.A. system.

Season 18 is so far off to a weak start, I think. Again, I think the only part of the entire episode was Nadine's opening (that and seeing Ken's name again).

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:52 pm

I'm drawing a blank right now on the episode title, but in season 1, didn't D.W. introduce Nadine to Francine and Muffy in the hurl-a-whirl ride episode? I haven't seen that one in a while, but I do remember Francine saying "Who's Nadine?" Continuity error already with "The Friend Who Wasn't There"... Neutral

I kind of liked the "Surpise!" episode. I agree that the ending was very sudden. Maybe I just like episodes with Catherine in it.

I cannot say much of the voices, as the cable I have seemed to muffle the audio a bit today. Although, I did notice that Muffy sounded a bit more whiny, and Arthur did sound different.

Buster announced the pbskids.org credits promo on this episode! In the past it has been D.W., then Arthur
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:54 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:"The Friend Who Wasn't There; Surprise!" was kind of a meh episode, but what really struck me odd was they kind of seemed like they were from different seasons paired together in one episode... I'll explain shortly.

For starters, it seems like the animation for "The Friend Who Wasn't There" has improved some more... that whole giant Pretty Penny thing was eerily smooth and fluid, but the animation in general is less stiff and robotic. I really liked Nadine's intro, that was probably my favorite part of the whole story: you get a sense that Nadine feels that life as D.W.'s imaginary friend is incredibly demanding, but at the same time, you can tell she's dreading the day D.W. outgrows her. Now, I have to ask... does Arthur have another new voice actor again? He sounded like a girl this time around. And that definitely was not Bruce Dinsmore as Bailey.

Now as for "Surprise!", I had a surprise to see Ken Scarborough wrote it! I mean, didn't he leave around the same time Joe Fallon left? I wonder if maybe Ken wrote the script, it got shelved, and now it's been recycled? The story felt more akin to the older, classic episodes... at the same time, the overall animation and voice acting made it seem like it was held over from last season (BTW, does anyone think Catherine's new voice makes her sound too young? Patricia Rodriguez made her sound convincingly like a teenager, but whoever's voicing her now makes her sound like a much younger girl). The concept's been done before (SESAME STREET in 1998 had a similar episode where Elmo was hanging out with Gordon and Susan's son Miles as he plays basketball, then later when his friends show up for a game, Elmo's saddened that he can't come with them because, "It's just the big kids."), but surprisingly, the story wasn't really well-executed. It spent too much time on Francine, Muffy, Buster, and Binky plotting revenge on Catherine for not inviting Francine to the party, then finally in the end, it's like, "So I came up with my master plan, but I felt bad about all the crap Catherine put me through and I didn't want her to feel that way, so I decided not to do it after all." The end. It just fell flat. And I guess it wasn't really Sean that Catherine had a crush on, because notice the grossed out look on her face when Francine announces that over the P.A. system.

Season 18 is so far off to a weak start, I think. Again, I think the only part of the entire episode was Nadine's opening (that and seeing Ken's name again).
@SnowthPoogle yep Arthur and D.W. have new voice actors this go round,William Healy for Arthur and Andrew Dayton for D.W. Ad yes,That WAS Bruce Dinsmore as Bailey. As for Ken Scarborough....he's been back since Season 14,I think.Wrote "The Buster Report" and "Grandpa Dave's Memory Album"

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:13 pm

D.W. actually sounded great for a change, I forgot to mention that... I was too disoriented by Arthur sounding like a girl, Bailey not sounding like Bailey, and Catherine sounding like a Muffy imitation. But yeah, this is probably the best voice D.W. has had since Jason Szwimmer... everyone since then has kind of given D.W. a slight hoarse/strained quality to her voice (Oliver Grainger kind of did too), but D.W. really sounded more like her she used to today. I liked that.

It's interesting that "The Friend Who Wasn't There" turned out to be a dream sequence episode, because I'm actually in pre-production with an experimental film about dreams, so this is quite the timing.

And like Stairs previously pointed out, we have a new continuity error with to kick off Season 18 with Muffy not knowing who Nadine is, let alone not knowing that D.W. even had an imaginary friend... just more evidence that this show has lasted much longer than it should.

And I agree with Moms, to see an flashback with Oliver having a Jewfro was hilarious! I actually grew something of a Jewfro earlier this year and kind of liked it, I think it really fit my eccentric personality (and made me look all the more eccentric, kind of like John R. Dilworth)... but it was difficult to maintain and made wearing my Radar O'Reilly cap a little difficult as well so I went back to my usual shorter haircut.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Just a heads up, if you didn't catch today's episode yet, the full episode is on the PBS Kids video app and website.

And yes! That Frensky flashback was great! Would've loved to see more! Very Happy
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelandLuigi21 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:40 pm

Don't take your hat on Wednesday, Bud.
IsmaelandLuigi21
a rabbit
a rabbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:57 pm

I'm sorry Luigi, but it's written in stone. Bud's going to take off his hat whether you like it or not.
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Saw an episode today - it wasn't nearly as good as the original five seasons, but it was OK. The animation and sterile atmosphere are the biggest turnoffs for me.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:07 pm

All good observations! Looking forward to the new episode tomorrow,can't wait to see what you guys think!

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm really looking forward to a nice, generous helping of Fern and Buster for breakfast tomorrow. albino
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Today's new episode was another meh one.

"The Case of the Girl with the Sad Face," I'm a little mixed about. Buster was top-notch in this episode with his Private I. charade, as always, his investigation was done very much in typical Buster humor, and I liked that. But as for Fern herself, it went from being predictable (I was assuming she was feeling sad because of the rain), to being more of an actual mystery (was there someone who made Fern feel bad?) to being a bit of a buzzkill ("Oh, I just feel sad for no reason.") I guess the message, since it is a kid's show after all, is to cover certain emotions in a way kids would understand, and in this case, I guess kids can feel sad and not know why or for no reason... still, for me, it was a buzzkill. I still think it was the rain: notice Fern was suddenly smiling again as the rain stopped. That's pretty typical for kids: they don't like rain.

"The Substitute Arthur" was a little better. Again, with Ken writing for the show again, the episode felt like a throwback to classic episodes... but it still seemed a little lacking. It was interesting because we've seen how Arthur reacted to not having Buster around for a while, so this time around, we saw how Buster reacted to not having Arthur around... it was a different perspective, and that made the episode interesting to watch. It was also an interesting revelation that Buster saw that without Arthur he was acting like D.W. in wanting to do everything his own way and not to try new things. Oh, and was anyone besides me a little disturbed by Buster's big pink nipples in this episode? What was that all about?

All and all, I'd say today's new episode was merely average: I wouldn't get excited if I saw it was coming on again, but I wouldn't have heartburn if I skipped it. I may sit the rest of the season out since Arthur's voice is off again.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelandLuigi21 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:55 pm

Don't go.
IsmaelandLuigi21
a rabbit
a rabbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:25 pm

Looks like this one still isn't up on PBSKids.  That's probably also my way of confessing that I still haven't seen it.  Crying or Very sad
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:08 pm

It was another great one today!

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelandLuigi21 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:42 pm

Tomorrow, Bud will be bald.
IsmaelandLuigi21
a rabbit
a rabbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Forgot to put my thoughts down about yesterday's episodes...
The Friend Who Wasn't There kicked off the season quite nicely. Not only was the concept executed in a creative manner (i.e. the toys coming to life) but it had a pretty strong message to it. As Lotta pointed out, it demonstrated that the age of technology we live in is sucking the imagination out of our children. Muffy was the perfect character to use as the focal point of this episode, as she's probably the third grade queen of social media. Rolling Eyes Kids don't need to grow up that fast.

Surprise! is probably my least favorite episode so far. I concur that it was a pretty dumb plot to begin with...I mean, the message makes sense, but the way the episode played out wasn't the least bit clear. When you look at Francine's character and how she's the exact opposite of Catherine in every single way, it doesn't make sense for her to be THAT angry over not being invited to her birthday party. Maybe she feels the need to feel more "grown up" but, in any case, I didn't particularly like the episode, it hardly focused on the plot.

So anyway, about today's episodes...
The Case of the Girl with the Long Face was EXCELLENT! It's a close second to my favorite of the bunch, The Substitute Arthur. Maybe I'm being a bit biased with these episodes because Buster is my favorite character...but I agree that he was what made this episode in particular great. His detective persona is brought back in a new, ORIGINAL way (although this episode reminded me a lot of To Eat or Not To Eat, this was a well-executed concept that actually hadn't been utilized in an earlier episode). The only major problem I have is that it seemed like Buster and George went on a wild goose chase for nothing, since Fern was sad for no real reason. Made me feel kind of bad for Buster since there really wasn't any mystery to solve, when you get right down to it. All he had to do was ask Fern why she was sad. Other than that it was flawless, and I loved the fact that the mystery wasn't predictable at all. Also, the black and white noir-style animation was a great touch! Very Happy

The Substitute Arthur was no doubt my favorite. It was heartwrenching to see Buster so broken up over Arthur leaving him, but, it was nice to see him growing more comfortable with his other friends and partaking in new activities. What I really liked about this episode was all the references to earlier episodes, and the continuity (Buster's asthma, ref to For The Birds, Buster's swimming cap, etc.). Don't have a lot to say about it, I really loved how it almost felt like a classic episode. Smile

Can't wait to see Bud take off his hat tomorrow! Shocked
CMSAB11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:13 pm

I can't really analyse this season in much detail - I thought most of the episodes aired were OK. Nothing amazing, but nothing terrible. The animation style hasn't changed much in my opinion - it's not quite as bad as the first Flash episodes, but it's still strangely jaundiced at certain points. The worst points are when their hands are shown in detail, and when they run.

I can't say much about the episode plots besides that they were decent, though clearly formulaic in nature. There's no doubt people who haven't seen much of Arthur will enjoy it, but I've already seen the first 7 seasons - so it all feels old to me. It's not that the current Arthur is terrible - I've just seen the basic premise already many times.

Back to my purple oranges now. Laughing

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelandLuigi21 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:05 am

He will be bald.
IsmaelandLuigi21
a rabbit
a rabbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:12 am

All right, now that I've finally got my DVR kicking again...

The Case of the Girl with the Long Face

I was fairly pleased with this one.  It was good to finally see Fern in action again as Wateau, as well as the others in their traditional imaginary roles.  Muffy looked great in her retro updo and sideburns.  I also noticed that Ratburn was a bit more prominent in both episodes than usual to provide a quip here and there.  I'm glad to see that they've remembered what a slob Buster is, based on the ice cream parlor scene where he spends the entire argument with ice cream slop on the side of his mouth.  The plot twist / theme was more simple than expected, but believable for someone like Fern.  I suppose that was probably as deep as they could delve into sudden mood swings and irrational, chemical-imbalance depression in a children's show without confusing the target audience.

The Substitute Arthur

This one was pretty amusing.  As mentioned after seeing the previews, we really get to see just how clingy and emotionally-fragile Buster is.  I was also glad to see that he remained melancholy through the entire thing instead of coming off like an intolerant jerk when nobody wanted to play his way.  The warped background was a neat little touch, and of course, I had to appreciate the Molly cameos.  Speaking of cameos, that scene with Catherine and Sean walking down the street together makes me think that Francine's little revelation at the end of Surprise! might have been truthful, after all.  

I second Snowth's observation about those tender, swollen bunny tits.   All I can say is that aardvark tongues must be pretty damn coarse.  drunken
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelandLuigi21 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:36 pm

Too bad, Bud doesn't have a middle name.
IsmaelandLuigi21
a rabbit
a rabbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top