Classic episode discussion: Arthur Meets Mister Rogers

Go down

Classic episode discussion: Arthur Meets Mister Rogers

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Since I finally saw the documentary "Won't You Be My Neighbor", I'd celebrate by having the discussion of the classic Season 2 premiere of ARTHUR, "Arthur Meets Mister Rogers" . First off, the wild buildup could be only written by a veteran writer of the  classic Nickelodeon series "Doug", even if it's not Joe Fallon! (It was actually the head writer of Arthur that did the episode that worked on Doug as well). I mean, Arthur going from being extremely nervous to his friends eventually being peeping toms to Mrs. Tibble calling the police which then the news report eventually finally lets the cat out of the bag, and then Binky stops teasing Arthur about the show.

I mean, that is educational show writing GENIUS! I know it was a little reluctant for Marc Brown to hire "Doug" writers, but still.

Anyhoo, back to Mister Rogers. First, the Mandela effect affected the writers since they got Binky's singing "Won't You Be My Neighbor" wrong ("The" Neighborhood instead of the correct "This" Neighborhood). Didn't Ken get the official sheet music? How things must slip by.

They would never do a plot for a preschool/kids show crossover like this one again. Look at the last Golden Age "Arthur" episode "That's A Baby Show". Now look at adult fan bases for pretty much lots of preschool and kids shows, partly due to things like Autism and the internet (though it's not always the case). Who knew grownups liked "Barney", "Thoma*s the Tank Engine" and "Sesame Street" (though the latter I can kinda forgive because of Jim Henson and The Muppets). Who knew that people like Kerry9Story would have My Little Pony avatars and fanart! (no offense) And here we are talking about a 3rd grader's show about about a bunch of diverse specices of anthro-animals learning lessons! What I'm saying is, no matter what people think, preschool shows and the like are OPENLY DISCUSSED. If Mister Rogers was still alive,  still doing  the show, and visiting someone's house, the kid would defiantly show his classmates Mister Rogers. Sure there may be still a few Binky 2 but Mister Rogers would be more welcome and the kid would be brave enough to do it.

What's your thoughts?

*EDIT 8/11/18 Here's the YouTube link below to see!

Last edited by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Classic episode discussion: Arthur Meets Mister Rogers

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 pm

I'm still surprised nobody discussed this yet. Was it discussed in a previous thread?

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:11 pm

MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:48 pm

MikaelaArsenault wrote:
MarleyandPal96 wrote:I'm still surprised nobody discussed this yet. Was it discussed in a previous thread?

There are other threads.

http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t480-name-the-best-episode-of-every-season?highlight=best+episodes

http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t1652-the-let-s-discuss-classic-episodes-thread?highlight=best+episodes

Thanks for answering my question, but I would've preferred a discussion on the episode "Arthur Meets Mister Rogers" and see if people agree or disagree with my opinion on the first post, since I saw "Won't You Be My Neighbor" on the silver screen!

Let the discussion begin!

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:32 pm

MarleyandPal96 wrote:
MikaelaArsenault wrote:
MarleyandPal96 wrote:I'm still surprised nobody discussed this yet. Was it discussed in a previous thread?

There are other threads.

http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t480-name-the-best-episode-of-every-season?highlight=best+episodes

http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t1652-the-let-s-discuss-classic-episodes-thread?highlight=best+episodes

Thanks for answering my question, but I would've preferred a discussion on the episode "Arthur Meets Mister Rogers" and see if people agree or disagree with my opinion on the first post, since I saw "Won't You Be My Neighbor" on the silver screen!

Oh I'm sorry then. It's been a long time since I last saw the episode, so I'll have to see what I can remember from that.
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:36 am

MikaelaArsenault wrote:
MarleyandPal96 wrote:
MikaelaArsenault wrote:

There are other threads.

Oh I'm sorry then. It's been a long time since I last saw the episode, so I'll have to see what I can remember from that.

The YouTube link is on my first post so it can be viewed aside with my opinion on the episode on top

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:50 am

MarleyandPal96 wrote:
MikaelaArsenault wrote:
MarleyandPal96 wrote:
MikaelaArsenault wrote:

There are other threads.

The YouTube link is on my first post so it can be viewed aside with my opinion on the episode on top

Thank you. Watching this right now.
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:40 pm

As I finally get around to responding...

I agree entirely, this was one of the finest Arthur episodes, and without a doubt the best possible guest star appearance.  Arthur's entire conundrum about being associated with someone who he truly admires deep down inside but was on the cusp of feeling like he was "too old" to be associated with is something that I think all of us older Arthur fans can relate to on some level.  

Much like Arthur's perception of how his classmates will react, much of adult society oftentimes think strangely of adults who are into shows aimed at a younger audience.  I know I've touched on this before; I think Arthur is an exception because of how genuine and complex its characters are, but most people won't understand that.  They just view it as a kids' show, and assume that adults who legitimately appreciate it are somehow regressed or creepy.  

So I think that this episode takes on deeper meaning for folks like us.  It's also ironic how Arthur's fears were largely unfounded since hey, pretty much everyone was absolutely star-struck over Mr. Rogers anyway.  I think that if most judgmental adults actually sat down and looked at the depth, development and realism of Arthur over the course of its 20+ years, they wouldn't be so goshdarn Binky about it.

And since we're talking about Mr. Rogers, out of sheer coincidence Meg and I recently decided to hit the Rollins University art museum and unbeknownst to us, there was Mr. Rogers's sweater and shoes!  Dead serious, all that separated us from this man's soul was a thin panel of glass.  Check it out:

A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:10 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:

And since we're talking about Mr. Rogers, out of sheer coincidence Meg and I recently decided to hit the Rollins University art museum and unbeknownst to us, there was Mr. Rogers's sweater and shoes!  Dead serious, all that separated us from this man's soul was a thin panel of glass.  Check it out:

Wow, they have it in a museum in Florida? Shouldn't it belong in Pittsburgh, maybe at a Pittsburgh art museum, a kids museum or the open-to-the-public WQED studios?

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:34 pm

One would think so since his show ran out of Pittsburgh, but he chose to donate it to Rollins because he's an alumni.  It's funny too because the Rollins art museum is absolutely tiny and unassuming.  Then again, with what a humble guy he was, it's almost more fitting this way.

I bet he would've materialized before us if we broke the glass, too.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:51 am

I would like to see a picture of you two together someday!
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:39 pm

We'll see. We do appreciate the interest, though we're generally pretty private and avoid sharing too much personal info publicly.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:45 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:We'll see.  We do appreciate the interest, though we're generally pretty private and avoid sharing too much personal info publicly.  

Oh well. Just wanted to ask, that’s all.
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:24 am

they're fuckin irl case u dint know.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:37 am

Kerry9Story wrote:they're fuckin irl case u dint know.

I understand the reason why a picture may not be shown though, but just felt like asking.
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:34 am

thy got pix bout em fuckin i bet tehy jus aint postin em.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:53 am

They won't because it's for privacy reasons.
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:51 am

Kerry9Story wrote:thy got pix bout em fuckin i bet tehy jus aint postin em.
Don't worry, Kerry.  Someday you'll find love too.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:25 am

I think the episode also has a message along the lines of it being okay to like a show for little kids, even though you are older now. My dad likes Arthur too, even though he's an older man.
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:19 pm

It along with "Draw!" is the best season premiere episode.
MatthewHecht
Ass of Jacks
Ass of Jacks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down