More Recent Episodes With The Feel Of Earlier Episodes?

Go down

More Recent Episodes With The Feel Of Earlier Episodes?

Post by In_Correct on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:22 pm

I like the earlier episodes, when they made more than 20 each year. (Season One Has 60!)

But here are some more recent episodes I found that can be mixed up with the earlier episodes:

Through The Looking Glasses,
Maria Speaks,
A Is For Angry,
The episode where Sue Ellen does not root for Lakewood Elementary,
That episode where they fight in a hot classroom,
That episode where D.W. and one of the preschool students (perhaps one of The Tibble Twins) kiss,
The Episode where D.W. builds her own percussion instruments.

Last edited by In_Correct on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total

In_Correct
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More Recent Episodes With The Feel Of Earlier Episodes?

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:59 pm

Interesting topic!

Just for reference: In_Correct is calling out the following episodes: The Pride of Lakewood, Desk Wars, Kiss and Tell, and D.W. Beats All.

I agree with The Pride of Lakewood and Desk Wars. I love episodes which take place entirely at school. To me, it makes the plot seem more relatable and believable for kids going through grade school themselves, much like many original episodes.

I'd also add "Staycation" from Season 18. While Arthur and D.W. are often depicted as mortal enemies in the early seasons, from time to time, we do get to see them working together and getting along, and this episode is perfect for that. I just wish it wasn't in the awful Flash animation.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A Few More Episodes:

Post by In_Correct on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:48 pm

I also like the first season episodes. They are gritty and every body hates each other. Also, the students are terrified of the authority figures. The kids behave much more as kids do (or did) with preference to arcades instead of home consoles, land line (or VOIP) telephones instead of cell phones, and kids going out side to play, and play sports. hanging up side down, or at least exercise. Today nobody at all ever does any of these things, not even kids. I am not complaining about when the kids (even preschoolers) have jobs and make money, but in the early episodes every body played out side at recess. It is also a wonderful memory at lunch time to see your classmates shoot off a bottle cap (even if they are sitting at the other table). Both of these are from two of the best episodes: World's Greatest Gleeper and Meek For A Week.

Some thing else I like in the early episodes is the tiny gags such as Arthur's snake being able to close a cabinet door from the inside! Or when Mrs. Turner stamped her own hand! And my favourites are any episode when they try to draw and the drawings come to life.

Here are more episodes I found:

Flaw & Order,
The W.D. Episode,
So Funny I For Got To Laugh,

also

Arthur's Number Nightmare, but the beginning only. This episode has several animation errors such as Mr. Haney's windows being on the wrong wall, and Arthur's head being too round during the first few seconds at Brain's Ice Cream Shop.

I want to write my own Arthur episodes SoOoOoOoOOoooo badly.

In_Correct
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by In_Correct on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:13 pm

Is There A Doctor In The House? ... It's just as good as any of those other times when Arthur & D.W. work together.

In_Correct
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:42 am

Obviously, episodes written by Ken Scarborough feel like earlier episode, since that's when he used to write for the show - like "Surprise!" and "The Substitute Arthur," for example. However, these episodes, while feeling like earlier episodes in their themes and premises, the resolutions just fall flat. Take "Surprise!" for example: the episode builds up with Francine, Buster, Binky, and Muffy plotting revenge on Catherine for not inviting Francine to her Sweet 16 - their plots and schemes are childlike in their setups, while oblivious to the real-world complexities they would impose, which is something you'd expect from an earlier episode (like Brain's plans to avoid the very mean crossing guard, or exacting revenge on Muffy for presumably winning the science fair) . . . but then in the end, Francine's just like, "Catherine made me feel bad, so I didn't want her to feel bad, so I didn't do it after all, the end." Anti-climatic.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down