Waiting for Snow

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Waiting for Snow

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri May 23, 2014 5:02 pm

My, my, my, isn't this a true-to-life lil' eppy? Or, true to my life anyway. It don't snow too awful much down in the Volunteer State, so whenever it does actually come a good dump, I can totally understand Ladonna's irritating piggy squeal of delight.

And at the same time, someone I used to know up in Wisconsin, who deals with this a lot more than I do, finds my fascination with snow to be utterly crazy and absolutely ridiculous.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Waiting for Snow

Post by BionicBunny on Fri May 23, 2014 6:07 pm

I liked it,it snows every other year where I live,so I enjoy it when it comes.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun May 25, 2014 11:41 am

Originally being from Michigan, I grew up in a heap of snow.  With the exception of making the roads incredibly dangerous (even at 5 mph), I really enjoy the pristine beauty and crisp air that Winter brings.  I'm definitely a Fall/Winter person, so I have to appreciate what I can get here in NC.

When I moved down South, I was baffled and amused when people kept asking me what snow was like.  What's even funnier down here is how much people freak out when there's even the slightest bit of snow buildup.  We got a very mild amount of snow a few months back, and it seemed like half the state went into Armageddon mode and shut down the schools.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Yes! I too am a fall/winter person! You ever hear the old joke that the four seasons in Canada are almost winter, winter, still winter, road work? Well, in my neck of the woods (and I guess as if the case of NC too), it's the reverse, our four seasons are almost summer, summer, still summer, road work (honestly, I don't think there's a single day out of the entire year when there isn't any road work in this entire state).

Spring puts me in a funk... it just does... the weather warms up, the bugs return in full force, the foliage is a searing shade of lime green that burns my retina... I don't like summer either (I hate hot weather), but somehow it's only slightly more tolerable for some reason... I guess because by then, you become acclimated to the heat, the long hours of daylight, and the bugs. But come September, I'm rejoicing. Sure, September is still a hot month for us (and so is a majority of October), but somehow, just knowing that it's the beginning of fall is like the feeling of new life... and of course, when it's finally winter, I'm happy as a clam.

Heck, if you ask me, I can best describe each season as such:

- Fall, to me, is how everybody else in the world comes to describe spring: I find it to be the beginning of new life: the air feels cleaner and crisp, the heat starts to lower (albeit slowly), it feels like a spring is now in your step, and it's time to start living again.
- Winter is a joyous time, especially since the holiday high is in full force by then, coming off of Halloween and Thanksgiving and heading in Christmas, New Year, and Valentine's Day. I love sweaters, so it's nice to be able to break those out of the closet again, and it's nice to be able to enjoy fresh air again.
- Spring, as I say, puts me in a funk... it depends on how spring is, half of the time, spring comes early, which throws me off, then the other half of the time, it has trouble getting here... either way, spring kind of has the feeling of living on borrowed time, as if you know the end is nearing (especially the month of May), and you have to live everyday to the fullest.
- Summer is like limbo. It's like being dead for three months, just muddling through a period of darkness, just waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel that is fall.

And yes, remember this past winter, when the entire city of Atlanta completely shut down because of TWO INCHES of snow?! My best friend is Canadian, and if they live close enough to the border, they get some of our news... apparently, our reactions to and how we handle snow is of great amusement to them.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Definitely, the Summers here in NC can be unrelenting.  I actually think they're worse than the abject heat I experienced in TX, just because the humidity factor seems to be slightly higher.  That, or I might just be feeling it more since we at least still have other regular seasons here to become acclimated to.  You can even feel moisture in the air when it's not particularly hot - which I find to be the most disturbing thing ever.  It just crushes my soul.

On the upside, however, we do get beautiful Autumns.  I absolutely know what you mean about the Fall breathing new life back into things.  Winters aren't too bad, though I actually find myself wishing we got a little more snow here and there. Another nice thing about colder weather and dry air is that is amplifies the effect of aromatherapy (yep, I'm an admitted aromatherapy junkie).
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:54 pm

The coldest it usually gets for us around here in the dead of winter is 40s for highs, and 20s for lows. That's pretty average for us, but every once in a while, we'll have frigid coldsnaps ourselves; in fact, just this past winter, we had about three weeks of highs in the teens and lows well below 0... it's not very often that I wake up to find icicles outside my bedroom window:

Now summer on the other hand, last couple of years, we've been fortunate enough to stay within the 80s for the highs, and not only that, but the last couple of summers in particular have seen considerable amounts of rain, which we haven't seen in about ten years, as our summers mercilessly dry. We had a severe drought in 2007 that we still never fully recovered from: we have a small river that runs through town (it shoots off the Tennessee River) that's water levels have kept receding year after year, to the point that now, people wade out into it to fish, and the water's only up to their knees (and this particular river was known for it's notorious under currents that's been known to claim a life or two). It's not an exaggeration to say our normal highs from the last week of May through the first week or two of September usually range anywhere between 90 and 115; matter of fact, I remember the summer of 2011 was a particular bad summer, because the news kept breaking in, urging people not to go outside, because the UV index was so high, you would literally burn within ten minutes of being exposed to the sun. Yep. Summer sure does get hot around here, as you can plainly see...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:37 pm

I haven't seen icicles in real life since I last lived in Michigan many years ago. Even when it gets chilly here in NC, they just don't seem to form for whatever reason. I wonder if it has something to do with all of the forest and foliage in my immediate area.

But definitely, the Summers can also swell to terrible temperatures and mostly due to the awful humidity factor. I lived in San Antonio for about 6 months and almost enjoyed the dry, desert climate (despite being very hot). Something about excessive moisture in the air, even if the heat is absent, does bad things to my physical composure. I lose energy, sometimes get mild rashes, etc.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:01 pm

A combination of watching this episode again the other day, and going through some old photos of mine brought something to mind... Buster stole my concept of snowbabies:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:21 am

After all, it's what he does best.  Stealing, that is. albino  
In fact, other than eating and sleeping, it seems to be just about the only thing he's capable of doing competently.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:11 pm

Um... we haven't gotten any snow at all so far this season... which is unusual, even for us... on average, we'll see usually at least one good overnight snow before now, but we haven't even gotten that... and January's almost over, soon it'll be February... Neutral

The winter of 2011-2012 is so far the only remember that I can remember where it didn't snow at all for the entire season - and it was an unseasonably mild winter that season too, it basically stayed in the 50s the whole time. This season, it's been like a rollercoaster: it'll be nice a chilly for a few weeks, then it'll suddenly turn spring-like for a few days (it was actually in the 60s Christmas Eve, that's never happened before), then it'll dip back down for several days. They said we would be having a colder than average winter this year, but honestly, it's been about average for the most part. Now, they're saying we're looking forward to below average conditions for Feb through Apr... I hope that's true, because for the past several years, spring has been coming way too early: usually just after Valentine's Day.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:11 pm

I am now happy to say that in the last two weeks of February, it snowed three times, and they were each the kind of snowfalls that bring southerns to their knees in terror. Razz Funnily, even though it only snowed three times, everybody was acting like it was some kind of a lengthy punishment they were facing, and were all like, "Ugh! When is this going to end?!"

So, as the old saying goes, better late than never. Nice that winter could go out with a bang. . . . better yet, it was nice that winter could stay for its allotted amount of time for a change, as spring had been arriving mid-Feb for the past number of years, so it was nice to still have winter weather through the whole month.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:11 am

We actually got a good foot of snow here in NC.  Likewise, it pretty much terrified the locals took it as a sign of the world collapsing.  Truly, it would have been nice to get some of this during Christmas...but hey, I can't complain.  I even went out and hijacked some poor kid's snowman, giving it ears and turning it into a snowbunneh.  Laughing
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top