Arthur's 20th/40th (Ideas/Speculation)

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Arthur's 20th/40th (Ideas/Speculation)

Post by GrebeGoddess on Tue May 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Because we're getting closer to 2016 cheers, I think it's time for a hype anniversary thread for this franchise - hopefully one that'll get to 100 pages or more Laughing.  Rumors, ideas, news, what you guys want and hope to see, etc.
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Arthur's 20th/40th (Ideas/Speculation)

Post by BionicBunny on Tue May 27, 2014 7:24 pm

I'd like to see the series leave PBS Kids for a cable kids network,now,don't get me wrong,I love PBS,but if the show were to move to Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network it could open up a floodgate of new plots since PBS is a tad bit restrictive with episode ideas.

I would also love to see the series get a First 200 Episodes DVD/Blu-Ray,or whatever number of episodes we'll have by then.Also individual season sets,especially Seasons 1,2,3,and 4.And they better have a ton of special features.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Tue May 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Release the first 5 seasons on US DVD - that's all I want for now.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Tue May 27, 2014 9:45 pm

I'd want audio commentary by Marc Brown,Greg Bailey,Joe Fallon,and Michael Yarmush on all the episodes as well.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Tue May 27, 2014 11:36 pm

I agree with all these. I'd also want a special celebrating and interviewing all the voice actors from the show. (Someone needs to track down Luke Reid so we can get his precious retrospective commentary on "Jekyll Jekyll Hyde!")

Let me just say, I can write an entire honors dissertation on why today's television needs a well-written teenage Arthur spinoff - but that's for another thread. I just want at least one special. It doesn't even have to be an hour.
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed May 28, 2014 12:39 am

Yay!  Here's to out-paging Wheel of Compson.  

Yeah, I'd also like to see the show port to a station or production company that's a bit more lenient with what it can do with its plots.  Even if it's by only a small margin, more creative leeway and fewer restrictions would work wonders in returning Arthur to its glory days.

I remember the Arthur Facebook pulling a teenage Arthur spinoff series prank for April Fool's.  That would be a great idea because it would let us see how certain relationships might play out as time progresses, and how all of the characters' quirks and traits will develop with the onslaught of pimples and hormones.

Another interesting idea for an anniversary special would be to finally do an adaptation of the story that started it all - Arthur's Nose.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Wed May 28, 2014 2:44 am

Yeah to find out that was an April Fools prank hurt my feelings, I tell ya. And it'd be a great idea because it will let us see the return of Buster's stylish "B-Jacket." Very Happy 

It's a damn shame PBS is restrictive. Arthur is already well-known for tackling kids' issues in a graceful and educational manner. Just imagine this same manner being applied to more mature issues - on love, puberty, sex, abuse, finding your purpose, grown-up peer pressure, etc. (with trigger warnings and not too dark). This franchise hasn't even realized its full potential yet.

Arthur's Nose should be the special where TV-drawn Arthur finally meets long-nosed Arthur. It would be like how the newer Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles saw "alternate dimensions" of themselves. The Brain would think he has finally created a machine that is a portal to an alternate dimension. No one except Arthur is interested, so he would come over and something would happen that makes him black out and, when he wakes up, comes face-to-face with his original book self. TV Arthur follows Original Arthur throughout the story, and at one point near the end the former reminds the latter not to be ashamed of his nose (AARDVARK POWER!!!) and at the end TV Arthur wakes up on Brain's couch, wondering what the hell that dream was about...
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed May 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Absolutely.  Some of the best early episodes probably wouldn't have been made in the current restrictive climate.  Crushed, for instance, would probably be seen as inappropriate because it portrays children having romantic urges.  In reality, I was really impressed with how realistically is portrayed the confused emotional state pre-tweens sometimes experience, which falls into that nebulous zone between puppy love, platonic friendship and genuine sexual attraction.  

I'd like to see more episodes along those lines, as you mentioned, that deal with slightly more mature topics.  Some of those ideas could even find their way into the current setting if only the binds were loosened a bit.  I know we all gripe about how much was lost when things became overly "family friendly," but I think we're all in strong agreement on this one.  

It would be funny indeed for some of the characters to encounter their earlier, more animalistic (and sometimes frightening) incarnations.  Just imagine how our current fashionista Muffy would react if she looked into the mirror and saw this:

A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Wed May 28, 2014 4:32 pm

I really wonder if Marc Brown would go for the DVD idea.I heard he doesn't like Arthur to have too much merchandise though,which sucks.And the only reason he ever agreed to let PBS produce the series was because it was educational television-I don't think we'll see Arthur channel hopping anytime soon,or at least not in Marc's lifetime.Then it really depends on who he left the rights to in his last will and testament.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Wed May 28, 2014 7:40 pm

The reason he didn't want much Arthur merchandise was due to the nature of merchandise driven programs which usually favored toy sales over story development. How many times have we seen Disney's cast on virtually any object that can be sold for profit, in lieu of mediocre films? Another reason was the onslaught of mass recalls revolving around certain brands due to terrible quality control in cheap foreign factories (Thomas and Learning Curve) which of course would be very bad for a brand like Arthur which on its own just wasn't that large.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Fri May 30, 2014 5:20 pm

I just want my first 200 episodes set with a butt load of special features.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri May 30, 2014 8:02 pm

I think a Crazy Bus dubstep remix would be a welcome addition.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Fri May 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Loco Bus!

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Sat May 31, 2014 1:10 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:I think a Crazy Bus dubstep remix would be a welcome addition.

This, and a dubstep remix of the Library Card song.

Oh, and if you looked at original Muffy's lower face you'd think she was a prototype of Wally...
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sat May 31, 2014 2:08 pm

I'd also like to see PBS run a big Arthur marathon where they show every Arthur episode ever in order and end it with two months worth of new episodes and a retrospective prime time special,and finally a new Arthur special,perhaps based on Arthur's Thanksgiving or Arthur's Nose.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sat May 31, 2014 10:03 pm

I agree with BionicBunny. Especially since they haven't aired any episodes from Season 1-4 in a while. And, it'd be good to have another special.
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Sat May 31, 2014 11:54 pm

And here's another reason why PBS should show every episode ever (is it me or has BuzzFeed really been showing Arthur love lately) :

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisburrichter/arthur-and-the-mystery-of-the-95-vanishing-episode-p4r8
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Yeah I noticed the BuzzFeed thing.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:56 pm

If anyone wants to write these suggestions to Marc Brown,here's his (assumed) personal address:
Marc Brown
P.O. Box 873 Tisbury,MA 02575

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 pm

GrebeWoman,you mentioned tracking down Luke Reid for retrospective commentary on "Jekyll Jekyll Hyde!"
Apparently he has quit acting and is currently a college professor.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:07 pm

I know, BionicBunny. I found that out last year when I was going through random professor reviews on the internet.

Last edited by GrebeGoddess on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:49 am; edited 2 times in total
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Do you know what university he teaches at?

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:17 pm

^Yeah, I believe it's Dawson College in Montreal. Ironically, he's teaching English. I wonder if he occasionally performs "Jekyll Jekyll Hyde" in front of his classes...

EDIT: Okay, so I was actually really nervous about posting this, but then I saw your Michael Yarmush fanmail address thread. Both of them deserve our fan love! Especially with the 20th anniversary coming up Very Happy

Last edited by GrebeGoddess on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Dawson,eh? I'll have to check that place out...
Yeah,I say we shower them with our fan luvin'.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:38 pm

STAN A BIT!!!

And I was surprised at how mature Buster sounded.
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top