Funniest episodes

Go down

Funniest episodes

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Are there any episodes that you just simply find funny or they make you laugh? I find the Vomitrocious episode in particular because of the episode title alone.
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Funniest episodes

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Bleep is hilarious. The climax and DW's confoundment building up to it is really done well by the writers.
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:31 pm

Agreed, Bleep! was a classic.  I also got a kick out of Arthur's Big Hit (despite popular opinion, it remains a great episode in my eyes).  1001 Dads too, specifically for the scene where Binky tries to be Buster's new father...
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:33 am

One of the classic era's most outstanding strengths is its unique style of comedy - it's difficult to articulate verbally (I place it into the same category as the flavour of secret potion in that regard), but its hallmark seems to be placing relatable/mundane situations into a quirkier context, as if the show was continually sitting on the edge of self-awareness, which provided the series in its formative years with a specific sly/intelligent tonal edge which in turn extended its appeal universally, therefore the more humour-orientated episodes of the Fallon era are possibly the most shining examples of this (rendered particularly notable by the show's lack of quality humour in its current incarnation).

That being said:
Buster's Dino Dilemma: "I had to tell them. They tickled me!"
Arthur's Lost Library Book: The D.W wraparound narrations are series highlights.
Locked in the Library!: An exceedingly great example of embellishing a shopworn plot with the appropriate idiosyncratic wackiness.
Arthur's Cousin Catastrophe: The characterizations of the Read relations provide some of the show's most subtle and relatable comedy (particularly evident with "The Bridges of Medieval Paris" gag).
Francine Frensky: Superstar: The Isaac Newton gag is the cold opening is truly golden; possibly my personal favourite of the entire show.
Arthur's Family Vacation: An 11-minute montage of hilarity ("GAS CHAMBER! AAAHH!")
D.W Rides Again: The cabbage gag, y'all.
Arthur's Almost Boring Day: An amazing illustration of the show in its prime spinning a genuinely entertaining episode out of literally nothing.
The Half-Baked Sale: Ken Scarborough's writing at its finest.
D.W Gets Lost: The mall PA system is a top five-worthy character.
Arthur's Substitute Teacher Trouble: Brain's meltdown is the highlight.
My Club Rules: "I'm not made of money, I'm made of fur!"
Arthur's First Sleepover: Worth inclusion for Buster's frenetic expression during his dream sequence.
Arthur Meets Mister Rogers: "Hey, look mom! It's Mister Rogers and two of the seven dwarves!"
Binky Barnes, Art Expert: "I didn't know he could throw us this far!" is one in an ocean of comedic genius.
Buster Baxter, Cat Saver: The Piano Tamer excerpt at the end is gold.
Play It Again, D.W: Arthur's Crazy Bus fantasy and the reunion crew dancing to everyone's favourite melodic masterpiece are all I need to say here.
D.W Goes to Washington: Comedy, thy name is Pony Land. I really must go to that place someday (I hear their home brand suntan lotion is wonderfully potent).
D.W's Deer Friend: "MY BRAIN IS MEEELLLTING!"
Buster Hits the Books: The book parodies are truly indicative of Fallon at his peak.
Love Notes for Muffy: Golden lines are abound in this one. "I must use all of my available brain capacity plotting REVENGE!".
How the Cookie Crumbles: The 'junk food' episode of the Arthur crop, and is suitably hilarious as a result ("BANANA WAS MY IDEA!").
The Ballad of Buster Baxter: "Heee's a saad saad bunny, a saaaaad, saaaaad, saaaaad, saaaaad bunnnyyyyyy..."
I'd Rather Read It Myself: Basically "D.W's Greatest Hits: The Episode".
And Now Let's Talk to Some Kids: I'm talking the theme to The Brain here. Really makes you stop and think. Hmmmmmmmmmm…
The Chips are Down: Binky is great in this one.
Binky Rules: "You don't even know the first thing about being a detective!" "Oh yeah? Well, what about the eighth thing?"
Meet Binky: Gut-busting from cold opening to credits ("MMMM... BINKY BREAD!").
Dad's Desert Dilemma: I wonder if Mr. Ratburn has a bizarre obsession with... cake?
Arthur's Treasure Hunt: "What are you burying, Arthur? Your report card?"
D.W Tricks the Tooth Fairy: I love the randomness of the Francine/monkey doll in the museum gift store.
Arthur's Almost Live Not Real Music Festival: "Homework" is a comedic masterpiece ("there's a quiz tomorrow!").
Mom and Dad Have a Great Big Fight: "YOU WANT SOME 'OAR?"
The Long, Dull Winter: Another fine showcase of the show's excellent utilization of boring circumstances in its classic years ("POOONNNNYYYYY DAAAAYYYYY...").
The Contest: The kids' ideas are all great, particularly Brain's (incredibly relatable for myself) spin on "Dexter's Laboratory" (it sure was a rough week out in that forest, although Bigfoot is actually a surprisingly personable guy).
Prove It!: The reveal of D.W's conniving scheme is one of her final great moments for a long while.
The Blizzard: I couldn't even cite any single gag here. The entire episode is just plain hilarious despite its relatively serious subject matter.
The Rat Who Came to Dinner: The comedy doesn't even entirely stem from Ratburn's memorable antics (I love Sonja Ball's reading on "That show is so... dumb").
D.W Tales Spins: I lost it on the Crazy Bus sirens.
Prunella Gets It Twice: The Ghost of Lunch Tomorrow is up there with the mall PA system and everyone's favourite fluffeh caterpillar as a top-five character.
1001 Dads: Lotta articulated it well above.
That's a Baby Show!: The funniest episode is the entire series. The entire series. Just mentally read "What is a cow doing in my room?" and challenge yourself to not be at least a little amused.
You Are Arthur: Generally a solid comedic outing.
Just Desserts: "I was doing this 500 years before Babe!"
Arthur's Family Feud: Arthur and D.W's visualizations of the souffle disaster are basically the final throes of Fallonesque comedy in the series.
Arthur's Perfect Christmas: "Binky, you're not even in this scene!"
Best of the Nest: The satire of extensive multiplayer video games is hilarious despite its relative inaccuracy.
Brother, Can You Spare a Clarinet?: A shining example of a relatively dumb plot absolved by the quality of the comedy (Binky's plot is one of the best comedic parts in the series).
Crushed: In the same vein as the above, particularly the cold opening (which is one of the most outstanding "so dumb it's great" moments in the series).
Elwood City Turns 100!: See also: the Dr. Ector routine.
Return of the Snowball: A rare example of Dietrich Smith successfully pulling off comedic moments, most notably the Star Wars opening crawl.
Dear Adil: I got a major non-potion-induced (or maybe a little) kick out of Arthur's visualizations of the extreme tedium of his letter.
Bleep: The plot is once again kind of a shamble, but the self-referential nature of the gags is hilarious enough (particularly by season 8 standards) to save the experience and then some.
Lights... Camera... Opera!: "Tween Dream was all sold ouuuttt!"
Arthur Makes Waves: An overall fun watch.
"A" is for Angry: A guilty pleasure if I ever saw one. Arthur's scream is absolutely gut-busting (particularly when sped up by 50%, as a certain glorious video once certified).
Phony Fern: The song sequence is so over-the-top that it becomes hilarious.
The Making of Arthur: "And I wanna be the whale!"
The Buster Report: Whilst the episode's need to shoehorn in more dramatic moments when unnecessary kind of dampened the experience, the revelation (and reaction to) Ratburn playing in an awkward 80s band was gold.
The Agent of Change: Mostly here for the satire revolving around the blatantly male-fixated nature of the film industry.
Night of the Tibble: The funniest episode in a long while. Despite a few pitfalls, I was genuinely surprised by how much I loved the "when the wind turns" runner.
The Last Tough Customer: "SINGING FOR LOOOOVVVE!"
Buster's Book Battle: Loki Bendictssen is surprisingly amusing played.
Caught in the Crosswires: An excellent satire of reality TV, which is pretty much self-explanatory for a list chronicling the funniest episodes of the show.
The Substitute Arthur: Some of the dialogue here is amazing (particularly the final line).
Fountain Abbey: The definition of dumb fun.
The Pageant Pickle: The re-emergence of D.W's conniving side and much of the dialogue here (particularly David's musings of his dull childhood pageants and Binky's "pageant-face!") elevate this one to enjoyability.
Arthur's Toy Trouble: See above.
Dueling Detectives!: The premise was asking for it.
Muffy Misses Out: The show's greatest example of a hilariously bad episode.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:13 am

I think "self-aware" is a perfect way of describing the show's humor. Along with what you mentioned, the humor focused on character interactions rather than external events also contributes to its distinctness.
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:12 am

Among newer episodes, "World Girls" strikes out, reminiscent of classic Arthur in how much they packed into 11 minutes and a constant deluge of satirical and character-based humor, which delivered a much more complex and unique message than usual: that products (Legos comes into mind) that are purported to be educational, and which may well be, can be a mask for indecent corporate targeting and exploitation that dilutes any meaningfulness.

This comment by the "specialized accessories area" clerk on the discontinuation of the Tibet doll alone makes it one of the funniest episodes in my book: "Now there's no Little Tibet in World Girl World. It's a Buddhist country. It didn't generate enough accessories. I can get you a Turkish rug loom. It's almost the same thing." This display of ultimate corporate indifference and cynicism is funny in so many ways. The best part is that on the CBBC airings, all but the first sentence of this is omitted. I love it when Arthur crosses silly boundaries to make a point.
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 am

"World Girls" is an extreme oddball amidst the relative safeness of its season 10 contemporaries; unlike the more filler-heavy and conservative approach of episodes such as "Feeling Flush" and "The Curse of the Grebes", the episode definitely bears a denser 'plot' (although it isn't exactly that straightforward) and a far larger scale than virtually every other episode in the series. Despite its tendency to meander and its overtly bizarre tone at times (particularly for the Arthur universe, which would often put a lighter/more comic spin on the more bizarre or heavy elements, although that may have been the intention here), I appreciate it as a middling experiment.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:29 am

The episode that got the most laughs out of me was "Desk Wars," so I would definitely consider that the funniest episode. The ever-growing chain of actions and reactions, all brought on by frustration from the heat, was extremely funny - particularly when we get to everybody destroying everybody else's property: especially when Fern lets out her battle cry before ripping Buster's comic book, followed by Buster instantaneously horking down Arthur's cookies. That, and Mr. Haney just missing Buster just randomly throwing his spoiled sandwich across the room like some kind of a rotten grenade.

Then we have a bit of a brick joke, where while everybody is cooling off at Muffy's pool party, he comes Binky's rubberband ball bouncing its way through.

So yeah, to me, "Desk Wars" is definitely the funniest episode.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down