The End?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The End?

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:36 am

Bruce Dinsmore, voice of David Read and Binky Barnes, tweeted something which seems to be what we've all anticipated for years, yet at the same time, we dread to see come to fruition. See attached image.

Now, I suppose he didn't announce the official ending to the series, but I can't imagine someone who's been with the show since day one all of a sudden leaves. A reply to the tweet does seem to imply Michael Yarmush, original voice of Arthur and current voice of Slink, has also claimed the end of the series is here.

Also, did he mess up the math? This fall was year 22 (though only 21 seasons), with four more seasons planned. So, I'm not sure where the "24 years" comes from. I wonder if they could be back-tracking and reducing the number of upcoming shows/seasons. But the whole idea of formal "seasons" is kind of skewed when four are produced all at once.

Regardless, I think this is a major announcement, be it official or not. I'm sure PBS will maintain reruns in some form for many years after the series' end.

Any ideas for the final episode? We've already got the last day of school and the "best day ever" episode. I've always thought they could have Arthur's family move away from Elwood City, which would be incredibly sad but in line with how many long-running series end (someone relocates away from the original setting).

Last edited by PrettyCoolStairs on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The End?

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:43 am

Kids missed out on the Reading Rainbow finale due to SpongeBob during that cartoon's Dark Age. Kids also missed out on the Mister Rogers' Neighborhood finale.

PBS, would you make the series finale a prime-time special? Arthur was just as nostalgic as those two aformentioned shows of yours even to PBS nerds.

A retrospective special, maybe?

Artur is the last show on PBS to blend morals seamlessly with the story for older children (even with a few mandates). Now PBS has nothing but mandates. I saw a few minutes of the new show and I couldn't sit through it. I liked it better when Joe Murray told naughty innuendos and fun stories on "Rocko's Modern Life". (And yes, I have seen "Camp Lazlo" as well).

Morals are dead. (for PBS).

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 am

Maybe Bruce is retiring? Caroll Spinney just retired from SESAME STREET after playing Big Bird and Oscar for 50 years.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:Maybe Bruce is retiring? Caroll Spinney just retired from SESAME STREET after playing Big Bird and Oscar for 50 years.

That's what I was thinking too. I mean come  on guys, of course the show is going on!

there's no stopping the aardvark's and the bunneh's

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:21 pm

I put a "?" is the title for a reason. It's nowhere near official by any means.

Jessica Kardos (Sue Ellen) acknowledged the tweet and was "heartbroken" on behalf of the cast. She also replied to tweets expressing farewells to Sue Ellen as a character, which would certainly point to her voicing Sue Ellen ending as well.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:51 pm

PrettyCoolStairs wrote:I put a "?" is the title for a reason. It's nowhere near official by any means.

Jessica Kardos (Sue Ellen) acknowledged the tweet and was "heartbroken" on behalf of the cast. She also replied to tweets expressing farewells to Sue Ellen as a character, which would certainly point to her voicing Sue Ellen ending as well.

This is spreading like a certain workplace movement, people coming forward to express their goodbyes on the show. First Binky and David Read, then Slink (also the original voice of Arthur), now Sue Ellen. If the voice of our favorite bunn33h is leaving then we're on board a sinking ship. But, and I say...hey, we've got plenty of episodes to discuss.

I mean, how do you end a show with everybody leaving prematurely? Recycle episodes? A major recast?

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Methinks this may be it.

Well, it's been a great run. The show may have run a little far (okay, maybe 20 years) beyond its prime, but at least we received a fair number of enjoyable episodes from the following decades (of particular note being Molly's incredible character arc and the addition of cast members such as Marina and Bud Compson's hat), not to mention the wealth of bunnehs that the ensuing seasons provided us with regardless of the decline. Marc Brown, Joe Fallon, Peter K. Hirsch, Ken Scarborough, Kathy Waugh and the cast, I salute you. For more than my guest appearance.

Just when I say that the show was done
I saw my post was overdue
The Slumfolk said "Where is the catchphrase?"
I thought, and I said:
No...
RENEW
this time.
Maybe someday

It's pure allegory.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:39 pm

Sad, but least they will air some new seasons.

Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:30 pm

this is SO SAD. you can tell they were NOT expecting this to happen bc A MONTH OR TWO AGO THEY WERE SO EXCITED TO BE RECORDING NEW EPISODES AND THERE WAS SO MUCH IN STORE FOR THE UPCOMING SEASONS. then we get slapped with this horrible news. WHY. JUST, WHY??

i'm sorry, the show can't possibly go on without bruce and jessica. arthur must be ending. bruce especially has been on the show since the beginning and there's no way he would give up his roles without a damn good reason. to be entirely honest i wouldn't want arthur to keep going without bruce. unless pbs comes out with an official announcement stating otherwise, i'm going to assume that this is it and once the shock wears off im going to lock myself in a dark room, binge-watch arthur and eat ten pints of ice cream bc my life is going to be so dreary without new buster content ):
the worst part about all this? i have a very bad feeling that they have cut down the amount of seasons they had planned and the cast was under the impression that they would be recording more episodes. i was starting to suspect something was up when the fall premiere week announced in late july fell through. at this point we may be lucky just to have one final season. sadly i don't want to get my hopes up.
it's such a shame that arthur, THE LONGEST RUNNING CHILDREN'S ANIMATED SERIES IN TV HISTORY FUCKING HELLO has become so shafted, especially within the past six years. first it was the animation in season 16. then they cut down the number of episodes in seasons 20 and 21 for two mediocre 1-hr specials. it pains me to say it but this show has fallen fast and hard since season 16.
NOW after we get our hopes up with the news of four new seasons coming, arthur ends. prettycoolstairs summed this up nicely. we all knew arthur would end one day, but i think i speak for most of the forum when i say that we certainly weren't expecting the show to end so suddenly. not like this.
i have one final thing to say on the matter for now:
IF ARTHUR DOES NOT GO OUT WITH A BANG I WILL RIOT. IT DESERVES BETTER, PBS. IT DESERVES BETTER!

White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:35 pm

It's definitely a huge shame that the show has become such a shafted and obscure entity in recent years. More than anything, PBS have gradually shifted the role of Arthur from the worthy show it is into some form of bizarre relic or placeholder. Considering the considerable budget cuts on S20 and 21 (which may explain the reduced length of season production runs), it's also fairly evident that the show was on the downturn.

They had better provide the show with the amazing sendoff it deserves though. I'm not asking them to necessarily return to traditional animation (considering that recent PBS executives seem to refuse to touch it with a ten-foot pole), but bringing back Joe Fallon (possibly) and extending the finale to a climatic full-length epic (for Arthur, possibly extending the scale of the narrative beyond that of a typical episode whilst interspersing the quirky self-referential Fallon-esque humour which popularized it to begin with) culminating in the cast's individual arcs coming to a close would be amazing, particularly for a show which has outlasted virtually all of its peers and lies second only to The Simpsons in terms of animated longevity.

Of course, my preferences lie towards at least one Chuck Morris/apricot reference, but ah well.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Somebody, PLEASE do a spinoff (slight chance) or a reboot (very unlikely).
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffy Crosswire on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:07 pm

I can assure you If they even tried to cancel us, they will be hearing from my family lawyers.

Muffy Crosswire
Little Miss Mod - Moderator
Little Miss Mod - Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Jekyll Jekyll Hyde wrote:They had better provide the show with the amazing sendoff it deserves though. I'm not asking them to necessarily return to traditional animation (considering that recent PBS executives seem to refuse to touch it with a ten-foot pole), but bringing back Joe Fallon (possibly) and extending the finale to a climatic full-length epic culminating in the cast's individual arcs coming to a close would be amazing, particularly for a show which has outlasted virtually all of its peers and lies second only to The Simpsons in terms of animated longevity.
the best day ever and the last day didn't cut it as proper finales to the show. at least that's how i feel. they'd better deliver or i'll make it my life's mission to learn how to animate and give arthur a PROPER finale! (i wish...)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:51 pm

This is (possibly) the reason regular Arthur viewers got this show cancelled (don't believe me, look up TV.com user reviews especially the second one)

Why Peter Hirsh? Why did you remake "Arthur's Big Hit"?

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:58 pm

What an atrocity of an episode that is up there. I honestly have no idea as to what role it played in the show's demise, but it's certainly a pivotal moment in the decline of Arthur from beloved animated tour de force to a shadow of its former glory.

On a side note, I would actually contest that the above is different from Arthur's Big Hit in much the same way that dirt differs from a little sludge, as one excellent example posits. Their main issues actually lie in the opposite directions - in Arthur's Big Hit, the episode was overly focused into Arthur's headspace when the episode played against his actions (at least punching D.W), whilst SFIFtL portrays Arthur, much in contrast, as overly unsympathetic (and the episode prevents itself from delving into his headspace to drive the conflict erroneously) to the point where his character feels too alien to work within the story's confines, and tends to be the worse of the two by far (I at least got some mileage out of the comedic aspect (intentional or otherwise) out of Arthur's Big Hit).
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Jekyll Jekyll Hyde wrote:What an atrocity of an episode that is up there. I honestly have no idea as to what role it played in the show's demise

It got people to stop donating to PBS. Viewers Like You is now the only major funder of these new episodes after the government dropped sponsorship during the "awkward period in hand-drawn Arthur" (seasons 9-15), even though the government is mentioned in reruns of the older episodes

https://arthur.fandom.com/wiki/Funding_for_Arthur

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:54 pm

I don't think seasons 9 to 15 are to blame. They were decent seasons.
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Muffy Crosswire wrote:I can assure you If they even tried to cancel us, they will be hearing from my family lawyers.

cheers cheers cheers cheers
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Sylvan Cascadian wrote:I don't think seasons 9 to 15 are to blame. They were decent seasons.

It's not the seasons themselves, it's the funding. You misread the post.

The seasons were just a coincidence. It's Season 16 when people stopped donating to PBS because of So Funny I Forgot To Laugh.

And while seasons 9 to 15 were good, The Bush adminstration tried to cut funding from the show during that time (sometime during seasons 9 to 15) to make room for funding other shows. The PFB Sugartime controversy didn't help as well.

Even if it's not true, both Canada and America ran out of money to make this show. This is public television, not the Fox network or Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network, where with ad dollars and ratings they can run the seasons to the ground,They also ran out of money to be the the only network in the US to run new episodes of "Sesame Street" and "Thomas and Friends".

If you miss Arthur that badly,well:
https://www.pbs.org/donate/

Spread the word Snowth Poogle!

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:19 pm

I wrote to the one, the only, Marc Brown about these nasty rumors. We'll get confusions cleared straight from the horse's mouth.I know Greg Bailey would have been another option, but I just didn't want to bother him.

If you want to correspond with Greg Bailey, feel free to do so. But I feel like waiting to hear back from Marc Brown

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherwarinelsalvador on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:44 pm

Yikes.
anotherwarinelsalvador
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:58 pm

I have lots more to say about all this, but for now... while I collect my thoughts... I'll leave you all with this video to set the mood.

Remember the good times we've had, and look forward to the four seasons we still have yet to go.

PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:12 am

Considering the abrupt nature of the announcement, it's ambiguous as to the percentage of seasons 22-25 which were actually produced. With the announced premiere falling through and the unexpected proximity between the announcement and the cancellation news, I suspect that only S22 (and potentially S23) were produced (undeservedly) as fodder for PBS to burn off sometime next year. As depressing as that may sound, some part of this potion-addled enigma believes it may also be the ultimate fate of the show.

Gah, I just made myself sad again. At least I still have the secret potion to drown away my troubles in a whir of delightfully idiosyncratic insanity.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:16 pm

I'm sorry I can't be more flip about this, but as I've said in another thread a while back, ARTHUR is pretty much just dead to me now.

There are more bad seasons than there are good seasons (yes, I consider 9-15 bad seasons, but I don't agree they're the reason for the show's rumored end), and the show just hasn't been engaging in a long time.

In fact, I see on another forum I started up a thread about the show having run out of steam . . . and I started that thread nine years ago. Nine years ago people were talking about the show having run out of fresh ideas and suffering from its own longevity, and nine years later, everybody is still talking about this.

And that seems to be the problem that shows like ARTHUR, THE SIMPSONS, FAMILY GUY, and others are facing: they're suffering from their own longevity. They've long run their course, their writers are not only scraping the bottom of the barrel, they're scraping under the barrel, and even under the floor the barrel was sitting on too. I mean, you have admit: when ARTHUR started doing thing like Disease Of The Week episodes, an increase in celebrity guests, retconning past episodes, giving some kind of quirk or peculiarity to a character that they've never displayed any signs of before (Binky's peanut allergies, Brain's emotional issues, etc.), adding a slew of new minor characters all the time, and the fact that Arthur himself has lost so much focus he isn't even in many episodes at all - that has to tell you something.

Seasons 9-15 were certainly the show's Dork Age, and while nobody was jumping for joy over the switch to Flash animation, or the addition of the Compson family, I feel like this was a new chapter in the show's life - it was certainly a blip in time, but it was interesting to see the show in a new way . . . but that didn't last long. Seasons 16 and 17 were interesting, to say the least - some episodes were weak, but some were actually entertaining . . . but Season 18, on the other hand, that all changed. We saw the triumphant return of one of the shows key writers from the earlier seasons - Ken Scarborough - and while his episodes recaptured the spirit of the earlier seasons, the overall execution and resolution fell flat. After "Fountain Abbey," the show just stopped being engaging or entertaining altogether: it became more or less just a show of filler to show to your preschoolers. Season 20 was a milestone season, but a disappointing season, because again, the episodes felt tired and effortless, the stories felt generic and unappealing, and there was really nothing about the season that made it stand out, unlike the 100th episode being "Elwood City Turns 100," or Season 10 having an anniversary episode. Even the "Beastly Birthday" special partly fell flat: the B-plot of Arthur waking up in the future and being the neglected middle child was far more interesting than the A-plot about D.W.'s birthday fantasy.

As I said before, after Season 20, PBS stations across the country began dropping ARTHUR - mine included, they just dropped it altogether; I haven't even seen ARTHUR on TV in a couple of years . . . not that it really mattered; again, with more bad seasons than good (on top of the older seasons rarely being show in reruns anymore anyway), I was watching less and less, so the loss of the show on PBS altogether felt indifferent to me. Sure, I miss my daily ARTHUR fix at 4:00 in the afternoon, but I can always break out old tapes for that; in fact, just this week, I watched "Elwood City Turns 100," "Pick a Car, Any Car / Jenna's Bedtime Blues," "April 9th," "D.W. All Wet / Buster's Dino Dilemma," and "Arthur's First Sleepover / Arthur's New Year's Eve."

20+ years is a really good run for any show: a lot of shows, on average, usually tend to last 4-6 years . . . 8-11 if they're particularly smash hits . . . but again, although we may like it when a show lasts a really long time, there comes a point in the show's lifespan that the longer it runs, the more evident it becomes that the show has run out of steam - and ARTHUR hit that point nearly a decade ago. It may have, arguably, started to pick back up a little a few years ago, but that didn't last. It's time, nay, past time, for it to finally just be laid to rest - sad as it may seem. It's better to end a show while it's still popular and beloved than it is to end it after viewers and audiences have reached a point where they're sick of it and want it to die.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:00 pm

The second half of season 9 was when the show really started to shift to more episodes with moralizing or bizarre plots. Still I think they still did well on execution all through the hand-drawn seasons, with little of the unrealistic, contrived, and loose dialogue that characterizes the newer seasons. Things started to get really shaky (somehow also the animation) in the first half of season 12, but I think they recovered after that.
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum