The End?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: The End?

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:41 pm

CMSAB11 wrote:this is SO SAD. you can tell they were NOT expecting this to happen bc A MONTH OR TWO AGO THEY WERE SO EXCITED TO BE RECORDING NEW EPISODES AND THERE WAS SO MUCH IN STORE FOR THE UPCOMING SEASONS. then we get slapped with this horrible news. WHY. JUST, WHY??

i'm sorry, the show can't possibly go on without bruce and jessica. arthur must be ending. bruce especially has been on the show since the beginning and there's no way he would give up his roles without a damn good reason. to be entirely honest i wouldn't want arthur to keep going without bruce. unless pbs comes out with an official announcement stating otherwise, i'm going to assume that this is it and once the shock wears off im going to lock myself in a dark room, binge-watch arthur and eat ten pints of ice cream bc my life is going to be so dreary without new buster content ):
the worst part about all this? i have a very bad feeling that they have cut down the amount of seasons they had planned and the cast was under the impression that they would be recording more episodes. i was starting to suspect something was up when the fall premiere week announced in late july fell through. at this point we may be lucky just to have one final season. sadly i don't want to get my hopes up.
it's such a shame that arthur, THE LONGEST RUNNING CHILDREN'S ANIMATED SERIES IN TV HISTORY FUCKING HELLO has become so shafted, especially within the past six years. first it was the animation in season 16. then they cut down the number of episodes in seasons 20 and 21 for two mediocre 1-hr specials. it pains me to say it but this show has fallen fast and hard since season 16.
NOW after we get our hopes up with the news of four new seasons coming, arthur ends. prettycoolstairs summed this up nicely. we all knew arthur would end one day, but i think i speak for most of the forum when i say that we certainly weren't expecting the show to end so suddenly. not like this.
i have one final thing to say on the matter for now:
IF ARTHUR DOES NOT GO OUT WITH A BANG I WILL RIOT. IT DESERVES BETTER, PBS. IT DESERVES BETTER!

I wonder if the remainder of the seasons will even still air.
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:34 pm

tbh i aitn been innit like used 2 but they keep doin fre$hies ima see em if i got time
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMilanTooner on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:01 pm

I can't say I was too shocked about this, given the lack of funding of the show for the last while and the dwindling audience for it, but MAN has it started to sink in how PBS' longest running show besides Sesame Street is very likely going to hit the can.

I personally can't vouch too much from the recent episodes I saw (the S20 eps I watched felt mostly uninspired with bits of fanservice thrown in to make it an anniversary season and the two hour-long episodes (which I refuse to consider "movies") were varying degrees of quality; Beastly Birthday dragged on far too long and, like everyone else has said, had a more interesting subplot compared to its main plot, and Haunted Treehouse tried and failed to reuse the same story structure style of Perfect Christmas), but it is understandable how it happened (lack of funding leading to cheaper animation outsourcing, the show going for so long ideas start to get repeated to fill up orders, etc) and it does suck to see a show that's run for so long finally kick the can.

What kinda sucks more is that its not like when Fairly Oddparents ended where the show was just a flat-out abysmal trainwreck by the time it got the NickToons electric chair; if anything, even in its lamest and lowest of seasons, there were still people who gave real effort into the show like some of the writers and the whole voice cast (was pleasantly surprised to see no change to the voice cast in any of the recent eps I saw!). It suffered, but given other shows that've run as long, we've had FAR worse happen. (Arthur's Missing Pal was close, but that was just kind of a lame DTV feature another studio took charge of and handed it to a guy who sold his soul to do dozens of straight-to-video sequels)

at least Ladonna wasn't an obnoxious moron that caused the apocalypse/the literal definition of a Mary Sue

I feel like it'll be a while before the final few seasons come out, as most episodes for shows are usually recorded/written a year or two before they go to air, but I wish the very best for the Arthur team, no matter what the era!
TheMilanTooner
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New episodes are still coming

Post by Kelseytaylor200 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:59 am

PrettyCoolStairs wrote:Bruce Dinsmore, voice of David Read and Binky Barnes, tweeted something which seems to be what we've all anticipated for years, yet at the same time, we dread to see come to fruition. See attached image.

Now, I suppose he didn't announce the official ending to the series, but I can't imagine someone who's been with the show since day one all of a sudden leaves. A reply to the tweet does seem to imply Michael Yarmush, original voice of Arthur and current voice of Slink, has also claimed the end of the series is here.

Also, did he mess up the math? This fall was year 22 (though only 21 seasons), with four more seasons planned. So, I'm not sure where the "24 years" comes from. I wonder if they could be back-tracking and reducing the number of upcoming shows/seasons. But the whole idea of formal "seasons" is kind of skewed when four are produced all at once.

Regardless, I think this is a major announcement, be it official or not. I'm sure PBS will maintain reruns in some form for many years after the series' end.

Any ideas for the final episode? We've already got the last day of school and the "best day ever" episode. I've always thought they could have Arthur's family move away from Elwood City, which would be incredibly sad but in line with how many long-running series end (someone relocates away from the original setting).

Kelseytaylor200
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelseytaylor200 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:01 am

Even though it seems like the show is ending ,Episodes are still coming what people seem to not understand is that after the twenty fifth season they are done.

Kelseytaylor200
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:27 am

TheMilanTooner wrote:
What kinda sucks more is that its not like when Fairly Oddparents ended where the show was just a flat-out abysmal trainwreck by the time it got the NickToons electric chair; if anything, even in its lamest and lowest of seasons, there were still people who gave real effort into the show like some of the writers and the whole voice cast (was pleasantly surprised to see no change to the voice cast in any of the recent eps I saw!). It suffered, but given other shows that've run as long, we've had FAR worse happen. (Arthur's Missing Pal was close, but that was just kind of a lame DTV feature another studio took charge of and handed it to a guy who sold his soul to do dozens of straight-to-video sequels)

at least Ladonna wasn't an obnoxious moron that caused the apocalypse/the literal definition of a Mary Sue
oh my GOD don't even get me started on FOP. i grew up on it and spongebob and while I preferred spongebob by a long shot FOP was a solid nick cartoon. i stopped watching after poof came on the scene and frankly I think that's where they should have ended it because after that they started adding all those unnecessary characters. it's a shame it died so horribly when it was once so great...

White Rabbit - Global Moderator
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:12 am

If true, I suppose the most we can hope for is that the episodes to come will do justice to the show's legacy and be of the highest possible quality.  There are still a lot of unanswered questions from all of this that I hope will be clarified by official sources in the near future.  

Specifically, assuming production is ceasing, does this mean that we'll get the full three confirmed seasons, or will things be cut short and end with Season 22?  

I suppose only time will tell. Neutral
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:13 pm

I do wonder if the show will just end with the upcoming season.
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ITOLDYOUNOTTOTOUCHIT2001! on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:14 pm

Could the series be coming to an end? (I hope the opposite happens.)
ITOLDYOUNOTTOTOUCHIT2001!
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:08 pm

it is i guess
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal3000 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:27 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:I'm sorry I can't be more flip about this, but as I've said in another thread a while back, ARTHUR is pretty much just dead to me now.

There are more bad seasons than there are good seasons (yes, I consider 9-15 bad seasons, but I don't agree they're the reason for the show's rumored end), and the show just hasn't been engaging in a long time.

In fact, I see on another forum I started up a thread about the show having run out of steam . . . and I started that thread nine years ago. Nine years ago people were talking about the show having run out of fresh ideas and suffering from its own longevity, and nine years later, everybody is still talking about this.

And that seems to be the problem that shows like ARTHUR, THE SIMPSONS, FAMILY GUY, and others are facing: they're suffering from their own longevity. They've long run their course, their writers are not only scraping the bottom of the barrel, they're scraping under the barrel, and even under the floor the barrel was sitting on too. I mean, you have admit: when ARTHUR started doing thing like Disease Of The Week episodes, an increase in celebrity guests, retconning past episodes, giving some kind of quirk or peculiarity to a character that they've never displayed any signs of before (Binky's peanut allergies, Brain's emotional issues, etc.), adding a slew of new minor characters all the time, and the fact that Arthur himself has lost so much focus he isn't even in many episodes at all - that has to tell you something.

Seasons 9-15 were certainly the show's Dork Age, and while nobody was jumping for joy over the switch to Flash animation, or the addition of the Compson family, I feel like this was a new chapter in the show's life - it was certainly a blip in time, but it was interesting to see the show in a new way . . . but that didn't last long. Seasons 16 and 17 were interesting, to say the least - some episodes were weak, but some were actually entertaining . . . but Season 18, on the other hand, that all changed. We saw the triumphant return of one of the shows key writers from the earlier seasons - Ken Scarborough - and while his episodes recaptured the spirit of the earlier seasons, the overall execution and resolution fell flat. After "Fountain Abbey," the show just stopped being engaging or entertaining altogether: it became more or less just a show of filler to show to your preschoolers. Season 20 was a milestone season, but a disappointing season, because again, the episodes felt tired and effortless, the stories felt generic and unappealing, and there was really nothing about the season that made it stand out, unlike the 100th episode being "Elwood City Turns 100," or Season 10 having an anniversary episode. Even the "Beastly Birthday" special partly fell flat: the B-plot of Arthur waking up in the future and being the neglected middle child was far more interesting than the A-plot about D.W.'s birthday fantasy.

As I said before, after Season 20, PBS stations across the country began dropping ARTHUR - mine included, they just dropped it altogether; I haven't even seen ARTHUR on TV in a couple of years . . . not that it really mattered; again, with more bad seasons than good (on top of the older seasons rarely being show in reruns anymore anyway), I was watching less and less, so the loss of the show on PBS altogether felt indifferent to me. Sure, I miss my daily ARTHUR fix at 4:00 in the afternoon, but I can always break out old tapes for that; in fact, just this week, I watched "Elwood City Turns 100," "Pick a Car, Any Car / Jenna's Bedtime Blues," "April 9th," "D.W. All Wet / Buster's Dino Dilemma," and "Arthur's First Sleepover / Arthur's New Year's Eve."

20+ years is a really good run for any show: a lot of shows, on average, usually tend to last 4-6 years . . . 8-11 if they're particularly smash hits . . . but again, although we may like it when a show lasts a really long time, there comes a point in the show's lifespan that the longer it runs, the more evident it becomes that the show has run out of steam - and ARTHUR hit that point nearly a decade ago. It may have, arguably, started to pick back up a little a few years ago, but that didn't last. It's time, nay, past time, for it to finally just be laid to rest - sad as it may seem. It's better to end a show while it's still popular and beloved than it is to end it after viewers and audiences have reached a point where they're sick of it and want it to die.

On top of that PBS seldom promotes the show much anymore and if they do it's usually through the now defunct PBSKidsGO share / write a story promo (the one featuring Arthur and Buster and Maya and Miguel) as well as promos from seasons 16-17 and probably promos from seasons 9-15. Not to mention there's hardly any merchandise in recent years (the last Arthur related merchandise that people remember are some Wendy happy meal toys back in 2007 and that's it). And even if Arthur ends , will it stay on PBS or will it suffer the fate of other PBS shows such as the Magic School Bus, Timothy Goes to School, Marvin the Tap Dancing Horse , Zula Patrol, Theodore Tugboat and Adventures from the book of virtures and move to QUBO or another network.

Pal3000
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:37 am

Here's something that I just found:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-pbs-show-arthur-may-be-on-its-last-legs.84583/
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE:

Post by In_Correct on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:00 pm

Any thing could have happened. It is possible that some of the cast has changed again. It is not the first time that some of the cast changed. It could be that Bruce Dinsmore plans on retiring, or it could be that there are budget cuts which impacted the quality of animation and now the cast. There could have been a contract impasse just like from Law & Order: S.V.U..

If it is canceled, perhaps one day they will revive it again. It has happened before with Star Trek, Mama's Family, Scooby-Doo, and The Magic School Bus. And then you get practically reboots such as Gatchaman Crowds, Masters Of The Universe, and She-Ra & The Princess Of Power. And there are even more sequel series such as the one about Jean-Luc Picard and King Of The Hill 10 Years Later. (King Of The Mountain?)

And then there is Sesame Street. A programme that has lasted much longer than Curiosity Shop, Captain Kangaroo, Lamb Chop, The Electric Company, Zoom, Square One Television, 3-2-1 Contact, Famous Classic Tales, Saturday Supercade, ABC After School Specials, ABC Weekend Specials, and CBS Story Break. Sesame Street recycles amateur footage ad nauseum, continuous celebrity appearances, until there are thousands of episodes. I skimmed through the older episodes and never liked the "disappearing Snuffy" story arc that lasted for years and years. By the 1990s it was time for Sesame Street to either retire or expand. So they added a second street and named it Around The Corner. By now, Sesame Street has many Spin Offs and can all ways make more spin offs, but Sesame Street itself is still on the air (!) with no hiatus (!!) .

Perhaps Arthur would be better off with more spin offs instead of episodes, but with no radical production design changes. (Keep the regular design or give it the same design as Arthur Grows Up.)

If P.B.S. it self is struggling, then release Arthur / Arthur Spin Offs to H.B.O..

Regarding Marc Brown:

I really doubt Marc Brown cares one way or other. Marc Brown's intention was to be a children's book author. He even named the star "Read". I remember decades ago they had a public service announcement at the end of every episode:

"You can find Arthur books and LOTS of other books too, at your Local Library."

One of the original settings is this huge public library, which had disappeared many seasons ago. They made an episode about saving the library. The entire Arthur show should have been a campaign to promote books and make real world efforts to save libraries. I all ways found those Interstitials to be useless; they would have been much better as a "Featured Library" segment with half of them being set at various libraries.

It's possible that the entire Arthur programme is outdated. It does not make sense to read books from an electronic device. I think a very long time ago D.Q. Grill & Chill used tons of Dennis The Menace Merchandise, but stopped be cause they felt Dennis The Menace is out dated. Indeed, nobody has worn those clothes for eons. If Arthur is too unfamiliar to the younger generation, if it is pointless to campaign for books;

then Retcon his last name to "Reed" and make the series about saving performing arts class not unlike "Brother, Can You Spare A Clarinet?".

I really hope Arthur returns in the future. If you did not know by now, I wanted to work for them.

Last edited by In_Correct on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

In_Correct
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:40 am

Great analysis. I don't think that Mark Brown is apathetic about the show though. Although at first it was the promotion of reading that persuaded Brown to televise Arthur, I think that he's come to see the show as an avenue for teaching much more than just confined to books and a place to realize the full creative potential of the characters and the world he created. But with what has become of the show, maybe it is so.

And if the kids nowadays don't read books, that's precisely the problem that these shows should address at an early age. The same concerns were around in the 90's, and this show tried to tackle it. I see no reason to give in to these trends.
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

It's worth noting that in a recent interview, Michael Yarmush also mentioned that they recently finished production for the "last episode ever."  

As an off-note, this guy's a riot isn't he?
A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:17 am

So could this really be the official confirmation then?
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:14 pm

MikaelaArsenault wrote:So could this really be the official confirmation then?

Marc Brown, Greg Bailey, Oasis, WGBH and PBS will give the official confirmation.

Savor these last few seasons like your favorite dish.

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:44 pm

We have been having these discussions for years. I will not expect the show to be done until it is officially done.
MatthewHecht
Ass of Jacks
Ass of Jacks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShayL on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:17 am

I'll wait for official confirmation if this really is the end for Arthur I'll be sad to see it go. I haven't watched any new episodes and I was a kid when the classic episodes were being rerun. I can't imagine PBS without Arthur since it's been on for as long as I can remember.
ShayL
Upstanding Citizen
Upstanding Citizen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:45 am

Well, at least we won't see much more of the abominable animation. DW's visage-destruction from season 16 onward is particularly bad.

Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum