If the "Arthur ending" rumors are true.....

Go down

If the "Arthur ending" rumors are true.....

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:47 pm

.....is it because they ran out of funding from viewer donations?

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: If the "Arthur ending" rumors are true.....

Post by Sylvan Cascadian on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:13 pm

I hope not. I don't really see Arthur lagging in funding when I see what the other PBS Kids shows are like. Even though they are publicly funded, there should be some competition between PBS shows, and the current deplorable lineup of shows, redundant in purpose, doesn't really warrant canceling Arthur on grounds of funding. The creative lethargy after such a long run felt by those behind the show is probably why they decided it was due time to finish.
Sylvan Cascadian
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:05 am

Sylvan Cascadian wrote:I hope not. I don't really see Arthur lagging in funding when I see what the other PBS Kids shows are like. Even though they are publicly funded, there should be some competition between PBS shows, and the current deplorable lineup of shows, redundant in purpose, doesn't really warrant canceling Arthur on grounds of funding. The creative lethargy after such a long run felt by those behind the show is probably why they decided it was due time to finish.

I honestly suspect the show's inevitable demise to be a by-product of a combination of both factors. Whilst the creative fatigue was definitely the chief of the two in the decision to finally lay the show to rest (with Peter K. Hirsch most likely drained from helming it for 21 of its 24-year run and with virtually no candidates remaining to assume the showrunner position from him, save for maybe Matt Hoverman), one cannot deny the budget cuts evident by the most recent seasons - farming the show's animation out to a relatively small studio in Quebec and slashing the length of the production runs may have indicated that the funds actually were running dry (possibly from lack of exposure, which PBS' erratic airing schedule for the series has only escalated), leading to a storm of factors which doomed Arthur after 24 years.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MikaelaArsenault on Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:42 pm

I have a good feeling that these seasons will be the last. Either that, or certain characters will be getting removed from the show.
MikaelaArsenault
Pink Princess
Pink Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike1 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:25 am

they shown it ueserday
mike1
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Honestly, the show did get a little stale in later seasons... When does that more mature continuation Marc Brown teased's coming? Surprised
Coyote_Mao
Arthur's Underwear
Arthur's Underwear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jekyll Jekyll Hyde on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Considering the recent conception of "Adult Arthur" online, I can (with some confidence) say that it may very well already have come.
Jekyll Jekyll Hyde
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:39 pm

"Adult Arthur"? Did I miss something? Surprised
Coyote_Mao
Arthur's Underwear
Arthur's Underwear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:13 pm

There's a YouTube channel called AOK, that's basically animated videos of our childhood favorites in the adult world, or in other words, "ruining out childhoods." Their biggest draw is probably their series of Adult Dora videos, where we see a twentysomething Dora going on adventures to learn about things like cheating ex boyfriends, or being unemployed and living with your parents.

They've done a couple of Adult Arthur videos:

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote_Mao on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Oh, I've seen those... Thought you meant something more official. Razz
Coyote_Mao
Arthur's Underwear
Arthur's Underwear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:32 pm

it was i thought confused
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/

Back to top Go down

RE:

Post by In_Correct on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:45 pm

MarleyandPal96 wrote:.....is it because they ran out of funding from viewer donations?

It is a lot more detailed than that. I have not watched PBS (or TV at all) in many years despite the very large increase in TV channels and subchannels. I got tired of commercials. PBS has its own version of commercials. But I have read many different posts that P.B.S. is very strict. While Arthur is technically an educational programme (and it does not need all the interstitials) be cause it is supposed to be book focused, it used to easily pass as a programme for Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. Especially Nickelodeon since half of Nick Jr. could pass as E/I and still be entertainment focused also. Not long after Joe Fallon left, most of the entertainment focus slowly went away. Around this time they decreased the production of episodes.

Either P.B.S. be came very strict, or Joe Fallon took creative control with him. Or perhaps both have forced The Arthur Show to be watered down. Either way, there has not been any jingles of "Honey Squids" in many years, nor has there been any nick names such as "Mister Rope Burn".

I remember some article where Sesame Street's Cookie Monster had been banned from eating cookies, stating "Cookies Are Some Times Food". This is an example of creative control being forced away from them by P.B.S. unaware of:

1. Cookie Monster ate ANY THING that is supposed to be inedible, including cereal boxes. If children tried to eat every thing that he ate, there is more going on in the house hold than just children wanting to imitate Cookie Monster.
2. The existence of Sugar Free cookies.
3. Banning cookies does absolutely nothing to keep away from desserts and junk foods. They put sugar in Wheat Thins, as well as hormones in every thing even most store bought produce.

It is the 1970s happening all over again, perhaps worse. They all ways censored every thing. If there is violence in animation, they demand it be categorized as an Adult Cartoon. The rest of the Children's Television Workshop programmes ended decades ago. So has After School & Saturday Morning programmes. Sesame Street should have ended by the 1980s, continuing on through spin offs.

If P.B.S. is too demanding, then there are other options. "Sesame Workshop" produced Tiny Planets, which is C.I.T.V. and Nickelodeon based. The Magic School Bus was on P.B.S. but The Magic School Bus Rides Again is on Netflix, suggesting a problem with P.B.S. But of course Netflix has its own list of demands.

It seems every thing that used to be on Terrestrial Television is now on some type of Pay TV, even Star Trek.  

Arthur could return 10 or 20 years later through Pay TV. By that time books will be relics.

In_Correct
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:08 pm

In_Correct wrote:
I remember some article where Sesame Street's Cookie Monster had been banned from eating cookies, stating "Cookies Are Some Times Food". This is an example of creative control being forced away from them by P.B.S. unaware of:

1. Cookie Monster ate ANY THING that is supposed to be inedible, including cereal boxes. If children tried to eat every thing that he ate, there is more going on in the house hold than just children wanting to imitate Cookie Monster.
2. The existence of Sugar Free cookies.
3. Banning cookies does absolutely nothing to keep away from desserts and junk foods. They put sugar in Wheat Thins, as well as hormones in every thing even most store bought produce.
Pardon my French, but the whole hullabaloo about Cookie Monster being "Veggie Monster" and no longer allowed to eat cookies was a big, fat, bullshit rumor that got blown up way out of proportion.

Yes, he did a song called "Cookies are a Sometimes Food," but that was over ten years ago, when SESAME STREET's cirriculum for that particular season was healthy eating (they usually have a different education theme every couple of years). He never stopped eating cookies, and he never stopped eating anything. Heck, they just put this out two days ago:

And take a look at this commercial he did years ago:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 am

MarleyandPal96
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down