Presenting: Fern's Quest~!

Go down

Presenting: Fern's Quest~! Empty Presenting: Fern's Quest~!

Post by BrandoTG on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:18 am

Do you like Castlevania?
Have you ever wished that Simon's Quest was more difficult, and less boring?
Are you obsessed with Fern as much as I am?
Have you ever wanted to whip the everloving shit out of Francine?

Then boy, do I have a romhack for you~
I present to you, Fern's Quest!

Presenting: Fern's Quest~! P8oktnT

Traverse the world of Castlevania II as Fernie-Pie~Presenting: Fern's Quest~! Chs5PlK

Presenting: Fern's Quest~! MS5rCif

Actually fight semi-challenging enemies~

Presenting: Fern's Quest~! WXMnCKw

Talk to authentic Arthur civilians and experience the new and improved useless dialogue they spout~

Presenting: Fern's Quest~! TYJYieK

Regain your strength in the Church of Travis 2017!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so, I obviously can't give the Rom out on here, because it's against the rules.
What I can give you is the Lunar IPS patch file, which you can use to patch the original Castlevania II rom file with my changes~

Firstly, you're gonna need the Lunar IPS program:
https://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/download/lips102.zip

Next, you're gonna need the original "Castlevania II: Simon's Quest(USA).nes" rom file.
I can't get you this one, but either you can rip it yourself, or download it from somewhere else.

Last, you're gonna need my patch~
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OhUpxnqbI6jXEghGRHeJWyHe1OfByf2L

Now, what you do is, you open up Lunar IPS and click "Apply IPS Patch". Pay attention to the order here.
Next, you use the first window that opens up to pick my patch file, "Fern's Quest v1.0.ips"
After that, another window will open asking you to pick the original .nes rom
It should apply the patch without issues.

Obviously you'll need an emulator to play it on, but I'll let you figure that one out.
(You're probably going to need a guide of some sort too, this game is infamous for being cryptic as all hell and having useless hints)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

It was about a week's worth of work and I probably developed carpal tunnel, but ey, it's done.

Didn't really tell anyone I was doing this because I didn't know if I could actually pull it off, and I didn't want to be like one of those kids that makes a huge deal about some stupid texture mod and proceeds to get so lazy and bored with it that they cancel it for "life reasons".
(Gamebanana needs to seriously stop allowing "In Development" mods, they never see the light of day)

If it looks like I'm making it sound like it was more work than it really was, trust me, I'm not.
It wouldn't be so bad if Simon's textures were simple boxes, but no, they're all split up. Each sprite is actually eight 8x8-pixel textures. Of course I had to edit these one-by-one, and keep checking to make sure they connect.
On top of that, he has 6 completely separate, but wholly identical sprite sets for each area type in the game, so I had to manually draw every goddamn texture 6 times. Wouldn't be so bad if it weren't really several sprites split up into 8 textures each. That was 200 somethin textures, my hand hurts.

On top of all that I suck at spritework, so this is very mediocre, some things turned out better than others.
Even if I was better, I'm stuck with 3 colors per-sprite, and since I needed gray, purple, and yellow for fernie, I could no longer use black to give the sprite the detail that the original sprites had. (Not that I'd be good enough to anyway)

The original Simon's Quest kind of sucked, it was ambitious for it's time, being an open-world ActionRPG, but it was too easy, and the skeletons, which are everywhere, never put up a fight, so I replaced em with skeletons that do fight. I switched around a few enemies, but was still pretty limited in what I could do.

Last edited by BrandoTG on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Ass of Jacks
Ass of Jacks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Presenting: Fern's Quest~! Empty Re: Presenting: Fern's Quest~!

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Oh my gosh!

Having a little exposure to romhacking myself, I can definitely appreciate how much work and finesse obviously went into this. I'd actually thought about the possibility of an Arthur-themed Final Fantasy romhack a while back, but never quite got around to it.  Seeing this though, I'll admit I'm inspired to possibly make it happen in the moderately-distant future.  

I'm going to tackle this one pronto.  I'll write up a thorough review for it, too.  In the meantime, I think it's high time to update the announcement banner. Wink
A Lotta Moms
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RecklesslyMindful on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Wow! I can't imagine how much work it would have taken to do this. I'm amazed it only took a week! My thoughts and prayers go out to your hurting hand for making such a sacrifice for the greater good, fine sir.

Presenting: Fern's Quest~! Tumblr_inline_mrjnw7iQwn1qz4rgp
RecklesslyMindful
RecklesslyMindful
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandoTG on Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:28 am

RecklesslyMindful wrote:Wow! I can't imagine how much work it would have taken to do this. I'm amazed it only took a week! My thoughts and prayers go out to your hurting hand for making such a sacrifice for the greater good, fine sir.

Trust me, you guys are giving me too much credit lol, I'm honored~

Presenting: Fern's Quest~! Arthur10
All this because of a goofy cute drawing I made

I should have this sent in and made into a physical cart. It's better than the real Simon's Quest.

Ass of Jacks
Ass of Jacks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandoTG on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:36 am

eheh, updated to Version 1.1 lol

I left this pit open in my attempt to make Dabi's Path more understandable, and if you fall in, and somehow all this time neglected to buy the holy water, you're stuck.

Luckily this is now fixed. hehe

Ass of Jacks
Ass of Jacks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mike1 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 am

what is it?
mike1
mike1
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandoTG on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 pm

mike1 wrote:what is it?

An Educational Erotic Action Adventure Strategy Simulatory Third-Person Real-Time Religious Medieval Puzzle Platforming Stealth Combat Role-Playing Game.

Ass of Jacks
Ass of Jacks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffy Crosswire on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Hardly best of the nest quality but at lest it's better than that dumb dark bunny video game!

Imagine a game with the Crosswire branding and funding! Now that would go platinuim over night.
Muffy Crosswire
Muffy Crosswire
Little Miss Mod - Moderator
Little Miss Mod - Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Francine Frensky on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:58 pm

What's the big deal? It's just some dwonky old video game.
Francine Frensky
Francine Frensky
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:11 am

Still gonna review this one. I haven't forgotten, really!
A Lotta Moms
A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum