Now what about the sexualities of the guys?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Now what about the sexualities of the guys?

Post by GrebeGoddess on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 am

Sequel to the awesome "Francine Frensky: Lesbian" thread. Very Happy 

I know Arthur and Buster are the favorite pairing for a gay relationship, but I personally lean the most towards Buster and The Brain. Despite them being at odds with each other sometimes, I detect underlying more-than-bromance vibes between those two and I see them becoming much more compatible when they get older - with Buster taking his studies more seriously and Brain becoming less uptight. Part of what'll make their relationship work? They'll make a great intellectual duo - Buster bouncing off ideas and Brain bouncing off logic. Oh, and they both love ice cream; they'll probably lick it off each other lol.

Second choice would be Buster and George. Another pairing that displays sexual tension underlying potential ("The Buster Report", the final scene in "George Blows His Top"), especially when you consider the imaginative energy they would give off ("Looking For Bonnie").

EDIT: Almost forgot...
Arthur would be straight (as seen in "Crushed"  Smile )
Buster would be bisexual
Binky would be gay
George would be demisexual
Brain would be asexual
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now what about the sexualities of the guys?

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:35 am

Brilliant! Razz

Here are my thoughts based on trying to project ahead with what we know of them so far (girls included):

Arthur: Straight.  I agree, his crush on Sally shows that attraction to girls is kicking in at even a very young age.  That, and his otherwise straight-laced look and lifestyle seems to conform to the traditional family image.
D.W.: Straight.  Though mostly out of childhood curiosity, D.W.'s shown interest in things like getting married and being kissed.  She's commandeered James into being her "boyfriend" on a few occasions, so if she follows that trajectory I can see her being a quite assertive about her heterosexuality in the future.
Buster: Bisexual.  Buster's shown some degree of gender-bending, such as willingness to wear nail polish, sometimes wearing women's hats, etc.  He doesn't seem to be bound by the rules of society, so I could see him swinging both ways.  There's also the fact that he's unusually close to his mother, who is the one primarily in charge of raising him.  This tends to increase the likelihood that he'll identify with her rather than a less-present male role model, and eventually be attracted to other men.  At the same time, he's shown an interest in girls by asking out every single one he knew for Valentine's Day.  Based on the evidence, I see him most likely being bisexual as an adult.
Francine: http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t19-francine-frensky-lesbian.  Seven pages.  Ninety responses.  Two thousand views.  'Nuff said.  I'm willing to consider the very, very slight possibility that Francine could still be bisexual based solely on her attraction to Arthur in a few early episodes (despite those feelings being very blatantly quashed in Square Dance).
Muffy: Straight.  I see Muffy going boy-crazy during middle school and beyond, most likely dating the stereotypical jock/rich/popular guy crowd but shuffling through them in a boyfriend-a-week sort of way.  Even at a young age, she developed a crush on Nick Carter, so her heterosexuality seems to be fairly well-established.  Though I don't take any of the future scenarios as canon, a few of them have depicted her with several children of her own, which further hints at her settling into a traditional family unit.
Binky: Most likely a closeted homosexual.  He's shown a fairly effeminate side, including ballet, fine body products, playing with dolls, etc., so I think this one's a fair bet.
Brain: Straight or Asexual.  Brain seemed to get along well with Lydia right off the bat.  I sort of pictured them as a kiddie-couple, so I could see him winding up in a solid relationship with a fellow intellectual.  At the same time, many academic/intellectual types are so caught up with their studies they have little interest in romance, so I could also see him becoming more of a Nikola Tesla or Isaac Newton in that regard.
Maria: Since Maria is clearly a nun in training, it's safe to say that she'll be asexual and celibate - whether she likes it or not.
George: I'm really not sure about George.
Sue Ellen: Not too sure about her, either. 
Fern: Straight.  On one hand I could also picture her being asexual based on her general coldness at times and preference for a solitary lifestyle, but based on the way she looked when Rattles in Chess Mess, I think she could definitely be swept off her feet someday by the right (or wrong) sort of guy.
Molly: Lesbian.  Molly seems to fit the "bull dyke" stereotype in most ways.  There's her appearance, her loud and blunt personality, and the fact that she has a lot of "guy friends" who are more her peers and followers than anything remotely romantic.  Still, I'm not nearly as certain as I am in Francine's case.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:30 am

I sense a Bisexual tone in Molly, myself.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by General Mung Beans on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:46 am

Didn't Sue Ellen write some rather flattering comments about Arthur in her diary so I'm guessing she's straight. Binky might just be a metrosexual.
General Mung Beans
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:49 pm

What I think they is:
Sue Ellen Armstrong:Heterosexual
Binky Barnes:Closeted Homosexual
Buster Baxter:Heterosexual
Ladonna Compson:Heterosexual
Muffy Crosswire:Heterosexual
Prunella Deegan:Heterosexual
Francine Frensky:Homosexual
Arthur Read:Heterosexual
D.W. Read:Heterosexual

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:42 am

The Tibbles might learn a thing or two during their stay in prison.
Of course, that's still two or three years down the road...
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:09 pm

Arthur is cursed to be the normal straight man of the group - not only in sexual preference, but everything else as well. Then again, Sue Ellen is fizzine.

I guess with PBS' leniency towards tokenism, the whole cast would eventually end up representing some label or identity if they were really going to handle the topic. Francine or Binky would be obvious candidates for the homosexual wing, but then comes Buster or Brain whom would be most inclined IMHO to show absolutely no interest at all ("asexual"), or they may go bi-ways. To be honest, I don't know where the likes of Prunella or Muffy would really go. One or more of them would have to represent the Tumblr-crackpot side of matters, being anormal transgender sexqueer or something to that effect. And lest we forget our cis-gendered but not straight individual, whom-ever they are cursed to be. Then you could view the matter as being a self-chosen identity going by preferences of the time versus the "born this way" route. Or if sexual preference is largely "straight, gay, or between" versus the 50-odd something sex and gender (yes, separation!) identities that are said to officially exist. Given the mass divisions on the topic of sexuality, they'd be stuck having to choose one way or the other to highlight sexuality that will probably end up clashing views with others.

Siiiigh... back to the wormholes I go!

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:27 pm

I think Slink would be a good candidate for the show's token cisneutered polyelectrosexual transwoman.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:23 pm

There's a whole Tumblr blog dedicated to the Tough Customers that emphasizes that Slink is a canon nonbinary character and calls everyone who doesn't agree "BINARIST TRANSPHOBES."
Take a look: http://thetoughcustomers.tumblr.com/

Now, in response to the topic...
Arthur: Agreed with the majority that he'll probably be straight...but he'll become bi-curious later in life. In middle school, I imagine he'll date Francine due to peer pressure before both realize that they just aren't meant for each other. Then, he'll go after Sue Ellen, and they'll become high school sweethearts. They'll be together until after graduation, when Sue Ellen breaks Arthur's heart by telling him she loves Binky instead. Binky/Sue Ellen will become a happy couple la-dee-da-dee-da and Arthur will be left in the dust. It's around this time that Buster will confess that he's honestly fallen for him. Arthur will sort of deny it at first because 1) He wants to STAY straight and 2) Buster is a slob, though his habits have improved slightly as he's gotten older (ex: he washes his hands after going to the bathroom, and no longer hides out in garbage cans). Buster convinces Arthur to "try it" even though he's straight, and through various means of coercion and seduction (and promising to improve his hygiene though it's short-lived), they will develop a passionate relationship and eventually get married. I love you (yes, I know this sounds cheesy). But yeah, basically, I think Arthur will be straight, but "go gay" for Buster.
Buster: Either gay or bisexual. I should really make a topic about my perspective on Buster's feelings toward Arthur--it's as if he has a bi-curious kiddie crush on him when you look at some of the episodes. However, I am open to the possibility of Brain/Buster and George/Buster (but the former would make a pretty rocky relationship since they rarely agree on anything). Pretty much my opinion.
Binky: Straight. "Sue Ellen's Lost Diary" convinced me of this, as it was the first time Binky considered the possibility of a relationship between him and Sue Ellen...and he seemed to like the idea of it. I could see some substance there.
George: I'm actually not sure about George. I could see him becoming straight, gay, bisexual...anything, really. I agree that George may develop hidden feelings for Buster but will never be able to admit them because he's so shy. Although, I read one fanfic that delved into the possibility that George may get "cool" as the gang gets older, and, by contrast, Buster would take his place as the shy guy. I'm open to that perspective on him, as well as any others.
Brain: The Brain will be a nerd all his life. There'll be none of that cool, casual, normal-looking Brain we saw in "The Contest".
NO, NO.
He will live and die for science, and for that reason, I believe he will turn out to be asexual. His imagination spot we saw in "And Now Let's Talk to Some Kids" is something I could totally see becoming canon. Not the Francine/Arthur part of it though, ick.

And those are my thoughts! However, I have a question for you, Grebe...why do you think George will be demisexual? Do you think he'll be attracted only to Buster? Just curious about your reasoning for that.

Last edited by Megne22 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatical error)
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:19 am

I really like your theory on Arthur's love life, Meg! And George just seems to me, more so than the rest of the gang, like someone who would really need a strong and tight emotional connection with someone before developing a sexual attraction. Besides Buster, I could also see him being attracted to Sue Ellen or Fern.
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:36 am

This concept of Slink being androgynous has really piqued my interest.  The Tumblr notes that he's actually a female in the Hebrew version of the show.  Wow...that's even more mind-blowing than the Israeli D.W. becoming Geli or Francine hijacking every single title card.

This definitely warrants further investigation...
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:47 am

he cant help it mabbe?
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pokemonlover731 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:35 pm

Bump. Here is what I think their orientations might be when they get older.

Arthur-Heterosexual Biromantic
Buster-Homosexual Homoromantic
Brain-Asexual  Gray-Aromantic
Binky-Homosexual, homoromantic
Fern-Asexual Demiromantic
Ladonna- Bisexual homoromantic

(now for Dw's friends)
D.W-Heterosexual Heteroromntic
Bud-Pansexual Biromantic
James-asexual Heterromantic
Emily- Heterosexual heteroromantic
pokemonlover731
Wheeler Dealer
Wheeler Dealer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Salty on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:55 am

A Lotta Moms wrote:
Muffy: Straight.

I'm not so sure. She was really into the BSB in that one episode, but my takeaway from that episode was that Muffy's crush on Howie was more about respect than the typical tween girl crush over some boy being super hot. Her crush over Nick falls through because he's not a "businessman." She calls Howie cute, but it's more of an afterthought, after she pictures herself becoming a manager. In the episode Muffy Gets Mature, she's clearly naive about kissing and says outright, "I'd never let a boy kiss me." Then she proceeds to have that weird daymare about kissing Buster and turning into a frog. I could see an older, more mature Muffy being a business savvy "power lesbian," like Bette from the L Word.

As for the guys though:

• Binky: Gay. Gay, gay, gay. He's a soft-hearted tough guy who loves ballet, classical music, and watching sweaty half-naked men grapple. Need I go on?
  • Arthur: Straight. Arthur is by nature the most plain character on the show. As mentioned, he also had a crush on his babysitter.
  • Buster: Bi or trans. He's definitely one who likes to defy gender norms. He's like a more progressive Jughead.
  • Brain: Asexual. Love would distract him from intellectual pursuits.
  • George: This is a tough one. That episode where he writes about Buster being his hero is pretty bizarre. On the other hand, he hangs out an awful lot with Fern (while she's dressed quite handsomely). Demisexual biromantic, or sexually attracted to puppets.
Salty
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:27 pm

Salty wrote:
A Lotta Moms wrote:
Muffy: Straight.

I'm not so sure. She was really into the BSB in that one episode, but my takeaway from that episode was that Muffy's crush on Howie was more about respect than the typical tween girl crush over some boy being super hot. Her crush over Nick falls through because he's not a "businessman." She calls Howie cute, but it's more of an afterthought, after she pictures herself becoming a manager. In the episode Muffy Gets Mature, she's clearly naive about kissing and says outright, "I'd never let a boy kiss me." Then she proceeds to have that weird daymare about kissing Buster and turning into a frog. I could see an older, more mature Muffy being a business savvy "power lesbian," like Bette from the L Word.
I can think of at least one other person who'd greatly prefer that outcome. Francine

A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Salty on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:58 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:I can think of at least one other person who'd greatly prefer that outcome. Francine

They even live together in their adult fantasies:

Scissor sisters, am I right?
Salty
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:47 pm

I always found that fantasy to be creepy. Probably that they watched so many sitcoms.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:07 am

Live together, work together, sleep together in the same bed...

Speaking of sit-com references, did anyone else catch the Laverne & Shirley homage?

A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Salty on Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:17 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:I can think of at least one other person who'd greatly prefer that outcome. Francine

When I first started watching Arthur I thought Francine was clearly the most lesbian character, but I'm starting to think it's Prunella.

Salty
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Wow, Prunie. Talk about literally pushing your way into someone else's thoughts...
Good catch, too - I'm honestly a bit surprised this little gem of a moment slipped past me all this time. Shocked
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Salty on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:08 am

A Lotta Moms wrote:Wow, Prunie.  Talk about literally pushing your way into someone else's thoughts...
Good catch, too - I'm honestly a bit surprised this little gem of a moment slipped past me all this time. Shocked

The credit has to go to the outofcontextarthur blog. I had totally forgotten about that episode as well.

Prunella also has a keen desire to go to San Francisco. Perhaps she's like to bring Marina along...

Salty
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:58 am

Maybe it's just me, but I never saw that moment from "Prunella Gets it Twice' as having any LGBT subtext to it, I always saw it more as Prunie trying to make things right with Francine to make up for unintentionally hurting her feelings when she tossed her Polly Locket present aside, "Oh, another Polly Locket? I already got one." And after seeing Francine worked so hard to get it for her for her birthday. As for Prunie offering her picture for Francine to keep in her Polly Locket, that I took as an example of how she used to have a bit of a conceited streak back in the Crazy Joe days.

But hey, I've often said that art is to be interpretated. As for her taking Marina to San Francisco . . . heh . . . why do I suddenly envision a scenario with a scheme like this:

prunella (Coy) Oh gee, the hotel manager must have made a mistake, there's only one bed in this room.
Marina Oh, well that's okay, I can sleep on the couch.
prunella No! Uh, I mean, what's wrong with just sharing the bed?
Marina (Chuckles) Because I'm really restless at night. With all the tossing and turning I do, you probably wouldn't get an ounce of sleep.
prunella Uh, but, I really don't mind sharing.
Marina Trust me, Prunella, it's a bad idea. I'll just take the couch.
prunella Mad

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Marina i guess she wanna lick my plum in the evenin.
prunella i guess that cunt gettin eaten.
Marina i guess that cunt gettin eaten.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top