[ 3 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 19

The Fern thread.

Post by Rummy on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:16 pm

The thread where we discuss nothing but Fern and how much you enjoy or even all around dislike her as a character. So go ahead bleed out your hearts about your views on Ferny.

I for one really do enjoy this character quite a lot, mostly due to the fact that after many years growing up with Arthur, she truly was invisible to me until just recent, and now I'm so fixated on her due to the fact that not only is she just new to me but she's pretty much the more relate-able character, being very shy and not really all that sociable when it comes to unfamiliar situations, it really hits at home because in my youth I was pretty much like Fern, really shy around my peers, not really sure how to communicate at their level, always interested in things that not many of them were interested in.

There are times where Fern's behavior can be pretty rough around the edges such as not really being one for silliness, sort of stuck up when she's in the moment, pretty brash in spite of other children's feelings, unnecessarily uptight. But she does have redeemable qualities at times, such as making snarky but lighthearted jokes, and at times commends people on their work no matter how crappy it is to other people, so fern just might have a meek, respectable and kind bone in that body somewhere.

That's my take on Fern, how 'bout your take Fellas?

Rummy
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Fern thread.

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:24 pm

Ah, what timing!  bounce  I was just watching Fern breaking it down and spreading her beetus all over the place in It's Only Rock n' Roll...

Being a semi-retired 27 year-old hermit who rarely leaves the house and spends half of his time doing stuffy freelance paperwork, I can absolutely relate to her self-imposed isolation and obsession with her internal fantasy world.  I also love her overly-proper way of speaking at times.  For example, the way she uses phrases like, "if you please," instead of just "please."  It makes her sound all the more like she's something out of one of the many old, dusty books she's always reading.  Other times it's not necessarily what she says, but her stilted, slightly-awkward and nasally-congested way of saying it that makes her sound so adorable.

As with most of my other favorite characters, Fern's negative traits make her all the more interesting and human.  Take the fact that she possesses every faculty necessary to completely destroy someone's life with ruthless propaganda when she feels slighted, or her cruel rejection of potential suitors' well-intentioned advances.  

And then, of course there's this:

A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:57 pm

I really don't mind Fern at all, however, I've noticed that a lot of people seemed to be bothered by her for two reasons: 1. How passive aggressive she is ("Draw!") and 2. How dark and sinister her mind is ("Fernkenstein's Monster").

But, eh... I like those kind of soft-spoken, adorkable characters like Fern, or Jeanette from The Chipettes... whatevs.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:14 am

I view Fern as a sheltered kid of sorts. Always quiet, introverted, and rarely seen in any big groups. Her mom means well, but comes off as pushy and totally ignorant of what Fern really excels in. Fern prefers to play around with detective fare and read books on her own instead of getting into any rowdy groups. She has the poetry club, but this is still fairly small compared to other groups in the series. It probably doesn't help that her earlier appearances were brought up through provocation ("I'm a Poet", everyone laughs at her hobby. "Draw!", she snaps back at Francine for viewing her as timid.) although not all of her appearances rely on this.

That said, more Fern is plenty welcome. I'd prefer to see more of her instead of the crazy kid with the dummy who went from awkward but friendly to a potential nutcase - but that's another topic.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:34 am

Share all your feelings in that particular Topic, brother.
Let us know how nutty that moose is.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:43 pm

Fern's definitely sheltered in a sense. Both her mother and Bitzi Baxter very much portray the two different aspects of helicopter mothers.

In the sense of Fern's mother, she thinks everything that Fern does is worth praise, and that Fern is the best at everything she does, offering up Fern no constructive criticism on anything whatsoever; she showers Fern praise, which, in the long run, will be a little more harmful than helpful to Fern when she's out in the real world and people will start to give her more constructive criticism.

In the sense of Bitzi, she absolutely smothers Buster, some even say almost incestuously so (that might be a bit of a stretch, but I digress), it's kind of surprising that Buster isn't more a momma's boy because of it. I guess part of it may have to do with the divorce, and Bitzi just wants to make sure that Buster still feels loved, though she just seems to kind of go overboard about it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Doria did initially come off as inconsiderate of Fern's interests. It's understandable that she wanted Fern to branch out and socialize more, but it was a little harsh calling her imaginary world just a bunch of "silly detective stuff." It actually came off as sort of blind and irresponsible of her, belittling something that's easily as important as people skills. Being that into Sherlock Holmes and logical, evidence-based problem solving at a young age will give her a huge advantage when it comes to the sort of scrutiny and critical thinking that's key to a lot of of challenging professions such as law, detective work, financial auditing, scientific research, etc.

That said, more Fern is plenty welcome. I'd prefer to see more of her instead of the crazy kid with the dummy who went from awkward but friendly to a potential nutcase - but that's another topic.

That's what happens when a kid spends over 75% of his life talking to a wooden giraffe, and his only real playmate is a psychologically warped poodle who traumatizes her community with an army of giant worms. I love you

That's also a good point on Fern having difficulty taking criticism. Though she was clearly provoked by Francine in Draw!, her response to a few off comments was pretty far out of proportion. It was practically a Goebbels-style propaganda campaign that just about ruined Francine's life and broke her down into a puddle of tears and gym sock sweat. Fern clearly showed a very acute emotional sensitivity that's common in lots of emotional artist types. On the note of Goebbels, Draw! seems to parallel World War II in several unusual ways, but I plan on posting that in its own topic later.

Since the topic of Bitzi's overly-close, slightly sad relationship with Buster has come up, I've decided to start a new thread dedicated hitherto.
Here's where the conversation began in the Fern thread:

In the sense of Bitzi, she absolutely smothers Buster, some even say almost incestuously so

On Bitzi seeming almost incestuous, I'll be completely honest - she did sort of creep me out a little on more than one occasion for just that reason. As disturbing as it is, there does seem to be a very, very subtle element of things being a little abnormal in places. For instance, the fact that she and Buster got each other "secret admirer" cards for Valentine's Day. Most people found that episode thematically incomprehensible. I think the twist at the end sort of makes you do a double take and think, "what the...?" Though the more tame interpretation is something along the lines of, "Your mother will always love you, even when nobody else in the world does," it was a very strange way of conveying it. There are other Bitzi moments too that I can't immediately remember in perfect detail, but I think we have more than enough here to spawn a thread devoted entirely to the idea. The topic is definitely scandalous and ripe for discussion. What a Face

Because there's much potential future discussion on the Bitzi/Buster topic, I've split everything from here forward into the new thread, "Bitzi and Buster." albino
http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t43-bitzi-and-buster
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:18 am

Doria did initially come off as inconsiderate of Fern's interests. It's understandable that she wanted Fern to branch out and socialize more, but it was a little harsh calling her imaginary world just a bunch of "silly detective stuff." It actually came off as sort of blind and irresponsible of her, belittling something that's easily as important as people skills

Like I said in the MufFern thread, I'm convinced Muffy is the one supplying Fern with all those overly elaborate detective costumes in the recent episodes.  Yet another example of Muffy being a bad influence on her friends, making them rebel against their parents (though this time it may be for the better).

Doria definitely has my vote for helicopter parent. Bitzi is more of the overly cautious type, but Doria seems to involve herself in Fern's life a little too much. I completely agree that the lack of constructive criticism Fern gets might end in disaster, for her or someone else, if she ever gets any real negative criticism directed towards her. Remember in "Fern and Persimmony Glitchet" when she imagines Francine getting carried away and presumably killed by a giant predatory bird, just because Francine didn't like her story?

Oh man, reading discussions like this gets me a little irked that the show invents new characters every few years when there is still so much untapped potential in the existing ones. Fern's burgeoning emotional problems, Doria's overindulgence, the MufFern duality; and that's just one character. Not that I don't like Ladonna, but it just kind of bugs me that her character was given so much development in a short amount of time when it took YEARS for the main characters to get to that level.
Roabe
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:27 am

Fern's a ticking time bomb of insecurity. Once harsh criticism about her and she just might take it out on the whole school and become the hated reject that she feared being.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:36 am

Or she'll run to her mom for a morale boost. Then she'll be ready to face the world again.

Until the next crisis happens, of course.
Roabe
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:22 am

It's funny, I had just finished watching that very scene with the pterodactyl sweeping away Francine a few minutes before reading your post.  Smile  Saying that Fern is disproportionately vengeful and full of all-powerful fantasies is pretty accurate.

Sometimes, I suspect Fern may have Schizoid Personality Disorder.  Briefly, it's a personality disorder where the person is outwardly emotionally cold and has no genuine yearning for interpersonal contact.  Schizoids are often obsessed with inner fantasy worlds, are highly creative, and often full of elaborate, vengeful fantasies.  Their speech is often a little mechanical, but frequently quite eloquent and proper.  They're not really autistic, depressed, or disabled, but more self-styled loners by honest choice (as opposed to, say, Avoidant Personality Disorder where the person is isolated due to strong fear of rejection or personal insecurity).  She shows a little bit of apprehension in Slumber Party, but I have to admit, she was pretty fearless in I'm a Poet when it came to speaking her mind.   The only Schizoid traits I don't see are Fern is "indifference to praise or criticism," and "limited ability to express emotions," as she's hyper-reactive to even small criticisms...although only four of the nine listed traits are required for the Schizoid diagnosis. 

Here's a new thread for the SPD issue and related poll: http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com/t44-poll-does-fern-have-schizoid-personality-disorder
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:00 am

Here we go:

Real Fern, if you please...
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:38 pm

I used to look like that Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Me too.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:35 pm

She is my favorite character. Why do so many fans say she is a poodle?
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Because not only is she a dog, she's a considerably feminine/girly girl kind of character most of the time.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:23 pm

Rummy wrote:Fern's a ticking time bomb of insecurity. Once harsh criticism about her and she just might take it out on the whole school and become the hated reject that she feared being.

LOL I agree
As much as I like her
She has a dark side
She stole Ladonnas story and was horrible to francine in the early season...
The comic book was uncalled for, the entire class getting involved
Then there was that story/prank she made up with Binky....
she has some darkness in there..
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.fan fiction/jcrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:32 pm

That's why I ship Muffy and Fern! They feed off each others' negative energy.

Actually, I think Fern has potential to be darker than Muffy. Muffy's sour attitude can be attributed to her not being around poorer people long enough, as well as a life of not being told "no" and a lack of social skills (I have a theory that she might have been homeschooled with a private tutor before coming to Lakewood). Those traits could be corrected with time. Fern, on the other hand, can be bitchy to others for no reason at all.

Also, there seems to be a lot of malice behind Fern's actions. It's as if she's completely aware of the damage she can cause (like when she laughed evilly while plotting against Brain in "War of the Worms"). Muffy can be incredibly selfish, but even on her worst day she's not being intentionally malicious about it like Fern can sometimes be.

Still, they're my favorite characters in spite of (and because of) these faults.
Roabe
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:04 am

Yes i see that happening
Muffy is not around her parents much as Bailey basically raises her
Fern has very dark potential. I know she can be cruel but Muffy is mean and selfish yet cruelty is something i do not think she intends on being
I just disliked her cruelty toward Francine and War of the Worms that was not nice at all. Stealing Ladonnas stories...
Ladonna was too trusting and she is sweet.

Francine is harsh and rough around the edges but she has softened as the seasons went on but i am the same, i still like her
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:35 pm

irl
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:35 pm

oh wow its Fern Very Happy
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:17 am

I'd say Fern is a standard poodle, without any primping or even minimal grooming. Look at the similarance...

Muffy should do her a favour and take her to a groomer's.
Roabe
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:56 pm

LOL
AWWW thats an adorable wee dog.
Um Muffy could get her groomed but she would want the money back...?
Fern would look nice done up with a nice outfit and a bit of primping xxx
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:08 am

Actually i would not ask for a refund, fern would take note.....
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:17 pm

Phony fern family shot
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb