"Crushed" edited?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Crushed" edited?

Post by Nope on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:50 pm

WPT wrote:Figureskater Michelle Kwan teaches Francine about good sportsmanship. Arthur likes his babysitter.

So I watched Arthur just earlier. It was the Crushed episode, where Arthur developed a kiddie crush on his babysitter Sally.

Early on, Arthur imagines what Sally might look like - it's a mean bulldog lady beating a rolling pin.
But when it aired today, this scene was notably missing. It just cut to the real Sally's introduction.

Also, the drawn bit with Bionic Bunny's hands bleeding was changed - if my eye don't deceive me, they didn't drip blood like in the original.

Why would they cut this all out? I thought it was hilarious. Is a portrayal of an abusive sitter that offensive? Even if it was imaginary and didn't really happen? Why are stick figures bleeding so taboo now? How pussified are people going to be? I suppose it's a miracle this episode wasn't banned outright but it is amazing to see how much it was chopped up. The topic itself is vaguely mature - how many kiddie graders will really relate to it? I never knew anyone who ever developed emotional feels hormonal impulses until they hit 12. Then again, this is a sheltered region so it may not be the best standard. But I digress - it's a pity to see an Arthur episode fall victim to the chopping blockers.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Crushed" edited?

Post by BionicBunny on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:00 pm

Daaamnnn son....syndication is a bitch.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:22 am

Wow, that really goes to show just how far-gone and restrictive things have become.  That makes me wonder just how many other scenes have also been cut over the course of recent syndication.  It's one thing to dampen the show's atmosphere by suffocating newer episodes under the heavy blanket of over-restrictiveness, but to go back and chop up the episodes we all love and cherish like that?  Appalling.  

Anyway, Crushed is one of my favorite episodes.  Having also experienced early romantic feelings around that age toward a particular girl (daughter of family friends who visited often), I thought it really summed up the confusion and mixed emotions you feel when that sort of thing first starts hitting you, but isn't yet developed or regular enough to be made much sense of.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:49 pm

I wonder if anyone had recorded the first airing on a VHS. Not sure if anyone here recorded new Arthur episodes. I may have seen Crushed and that has a similar plot to a Dexter's Lab episode, only the Dexter's Lab I think handled more adult than Arthur did.

And oh, by the way, was this edit seen on the local PBS station, or was it CBC?

Last edited by MarleyandPal96 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WheeljackDude on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:50 pm

*sigh*

I hope PBSKids.org will stream Crushed uncut...
WheeljackDude
Very Bad Person
Very Bad Person

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:20 pm

The edit was on PBS - Wisconsin Public Television.

The original episode is still on Youtube and several downloads - it's hardly extinct (yet).

I know that "Rhyme For Your Life" is no longer aired due to the Purple Orange, and anything from the first two seasons has been relegated to the dust bin owing to their dated nature. It's just sad to see Arthur become chopped up in syndication - though it does reflect PBS' current outlook, which makes everything as inoffensive as possible. They never take any chances as far as material goes - there's no real reason for it. PBS is not a very poor company (they're government-backed), so it isn't like they'd be out of business over the smallest complaint from any group out there.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:52 pm

I'd have to admit Arthur was (and sometimes is) a show with guts.

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:47 pm

I'll show PBS what's it like to be as poor as piss,I'll sue the pants off em! Meanwhile I'll enjoy the success of my online Arthur episodes venture.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:24 pm

I think the Postcards from Buster "That's a lot of moms" controversy from 10 years ago kind of took the balls out of PBS, that they're afraid of offending anyone. Politicians and gov't lobbyists have since been grabbing at any excuse to have their funding cut.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:04 am

JAO93 wrote:The edit was on PBS - Wisconsin Public Television.

The original episode is still on Youtube and several downloads - it's hardly extinct (yet).

I know that "Rhyme For Your Life" is no longer aired due to the Purple Orange, and anything from the first two seasons has been relegated to the dust bin owing to their dated nature. It's just sad to see Arthur become chopped up in syndication - though it does reflect PBS' current outlook, which makes everything as inoffensive as possible. They never take any chances as far as material goes - there's no real reason for it. PBS is not a very poor company (they're government-backed), so it isn't like they'd be out of business over the smallest complaint from any group out there.

I find this very interesting, because I actually recorded this most recent airing of "Crushed". I looked back at the tape and I see no edits. The rolling pin... the dripping blood... all intact. I was watching WFWA-TV, and I know they air Arthur directly from PBS' national feed.

If I'm not mistaken "Rhyme for Your Life" just aired last week (Friday, in fact).

Also, I've been looking at upcoming schedules for Arthur episodes. It looks like if your station is continuing to do the "double" back-to-back episodes, we may get to see some Season 2 in late Sept/early Oct.  Very Happy 
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:14 am

"Rhyme For Your Life" did not air here last Friday - they aired a special instead, and the next S6 Arthur episode aired was The Good Sport/Crushed. They aren't going back through S6, with S7 reruns beginning soon.
I don't know if WPT takes from the direct PBS feed or goes by its own schedule - I am thinking the latter.
Nor am I sure if the Purple Orange episode was banned, or if it was skipped due to the WPT Special - I know that TVO in Canada also skips it.

WPT = Wisconsin Public Television. The resident sub-station is WPNE in Green Bay.
It's somewhat customized compared to other PBS networks.
http://wpt.org/

I never record any of the Arthur episodes anymore as I have nothing to record them with. I do wish I had recorded "Crushed" just to highlight what had happened. I'm sure it will air again, but not any time soon.

I don't think our stations ever air anything prior to Season 3 or 4. There's no clear reason, whether it's due to the older episodes being more dated, or just the preference to air the newer stuff.

Last edited by JAO93 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Schedule check.)

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:57 pm

they fart on the show an blow it apart:

Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile