Brain Freeze

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brain Freeze

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:49 pm

When I was watching "Brain Freeze" today, I got really aggitated, you know why? Because it really got me in the mood for ice cream. But you know what the problem is? There is not a single ice cream store or parlor left in the entire city of Knoxville.

No, really.

We used to have Baskin-Robbin and Marble Slab locations throughout town, but all the B-R locations got bought out by a chain called Froyoz years ago (the only B-R location close to all is in the neighboring town of Farragut, which is quite a driver), while apparently the owner/operator of Marble Slab decided to get out of the business altogether and shut down operations.

Sure, you can still go to the grocery store and get cartons of ice cream, but it ain't the same. I miss all those 31 flavors of B-R, especially when they'd bring out new seasonal flavors throughout the year... and I sure do miss getting Marble Slab's sugary sweet butter pecan in a sprinkle-coated waffle cone.

And what is the deal with froyo anyway? Frozen yogurt's been around for years, but why is it now suddenly like cigarettes? It's like all of the sudden, eating froyo makes you look cool or something, like ice cream is now for socially awkward outcasts who are behind the times. Hey... maybe that's what inspired "Brain Freeze"?

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brain Freeze

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:46 pm

You know, it's funny you mention that because I've just now realized that exactly the same thing has happened in my area.  A few years ago, we also had a Marble Slab and a few other independent ice cream parlors, but they were likewise eaten up by other franchises.  

I suspect the increase in the cost of producing ice cream over the past few years has contributed to parlors retracting or going out of business.  I remember going into Marble Slab and Coldstone and paying nearly as much for a scoop or two of ice cream as I'd expect to pay for a full sit-down meal at a casual restaurant.  Since yogurt prices haven't risen nearly as steeply as ice cream, it's not surprising to see them expanding as a more cost-effective alternative.  It would be interesting to do a little research and see exactly what the financial trends have been for both industries over the past five years.

Unfortunately for me, I was likewise never really much of a froyo fan.  It was big back in the 90s during the whole low-fat diet trend, then really took a hit when the vastly more effective low-carb diets became popular.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:15 pm

THIS sh1t bro! cheers
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:30 am

Ice cream is ice cream I eat at both place's. bounce
Buster & Molly Lover
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:57 pm

bro imma h00k u up!
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:27 pm

I've never eaten Kroger's ice cream, I usually stick with Mayfield, even though it's so friggin expensive ($5 for a half gallon).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:42 pm

well we got that shit too bro so come an get it!
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top