[ 3 ]
25% 25% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 20

The Official Hate Ladonna Compson Thread

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:00 pm

(yay i finally did it)
~Circa 2014~
~ Do you hate Ladonna Compson? Do you mildly dislike her? Do you think she's just kinda stupid writing-wise? Then you've come to the right place! ~

Here is the thread where all haters of Ladonna can explain why, join in the bashing, buy the merchandise, you name it. Welcome! And don't forget:

Evil or Very Mad Spread The Word! Become a Hater of Ladonna Compson! Evil or Very Mad

================================================

Why do I hate Ladonna Compson? Simple.

She is an awful, cliched Mary-Sue of a character. She's supposedly "so awesome!" (words of starstruck Elwood City kids) for reasons still to be determined. And even more annoying she is constantly shipped with Arthur in the show. Whatever happened to Sue-Ellen? Or Francine? They're basically canon, people! Someone decided to spit at canon and ship their brainchild with a character who probably wouldn't like her if it wasn't for plot-love-potion. She's everything I hate about the shows new direction, personified. Loud, overly colorful, and headache inducing to watch. what a LOAD of crap. Rabbit crap.

UPDATE: as of 2015, my feelings towards Ladonna... have barely changed. I do feel a little embarrassed that I basically flamed myself making this thread. As of now I don't want to see her drowning in a lake of fire, (well maybe) but I still think she's an awful, Mary Sue of a character, and I would love if she mysteriously disappeared from the show. However, I see that as of now, the show is stuck with her, and I still love to hate her, but I'm gonna try to enjoy the new seasons as best as is humanly possible.
But seriously, **** Ladonna. I would prefer Cora as a recurring character.

I even like Bud and the rest of the family.

Last edited by Wild Starry Moony on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:11 am; edited 6 times in total
Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official Hate Ladonna Compson Thread

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Ladonna vs. Wild Star, Round 1:

Razz

While I find her rather amusing, the whole Arthur x Ladonna shiptease makes absolutely no logical sense to me.  She's nowhere near the type of person someone like Arthur would be attracted to.  I can only picture him with someone much more level-headed and responsible, like Sue Ellen.  The only thing that might lend some credence to the pairing is the fact that Ladonna is similar to Buster in certain ways (appetite, delusional reality, being unkempt), although Buster is much more relaxed and less likely to drive people insane.  Arthur just comes off as too much of a standard, serious Northerner to really get it on with a hillbunny like Ladonna Compson.

Last edited by A Lotta Moms on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:04 pm

I like her, she's like the crazier, more extroverted version of Sue Ellen lol.
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:35 pm

Be nice,she's just a cartoon,gee willickers.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:11 am

IKR?  she all like DUH-R00P-DAH-D00P IM FROM DA SOUTH DUH-HURP DE DURP HUR HUR DURP! then make shit up alla time for like no reason, fucken sl0b eat hella time, prolly fart a lot an go pl0p like erry ten minutes too. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CMSAB11 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:50 am

rofl!!!!
CMSAB11
White Rabbit - Global Moderator
White Rabbit - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:14 pm

BionicBunny wrote:Be nice,she's just a cartoon,gee willickers.
hey, im just a hater, gee willikers! Razz
A Lotta Moms wrote:Ladonna vs. Wild Star, Round 1:

Razz
you flatter me. lol!
Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:47 pm

I honestly can't bring myself to hate Ladonna, I really can't.

Part of me actually does want to hate her, simply because I've been such a loyal Arthur fan all these years and simply because she's new in a cast of characters that have been established for so long, and out of all the new characters who have been introduced over the years, she's certainly gotten way more exposure and storytime than others - even the Molina family hasn't been seen nearly as much since their introduction as Ladonna has two seasons ago.

On the other hand, Ladonna really hasn't even done anything to garner any kind of hatred, let alone dislike, from me. Sure, her introduction was kind of shaky, but let's be honest, she was the new kid, new kids are usually desperate for others to like them so they can make new friends, so Ladonna was just telling all these incredibly stories to make herself likeable (really, the only thing that bothered me about her debut episode was Flanderized Francine and Muffy instantly hating her when Brain calls her out on making up one story).

Other than that, she just hasn't done anything to make me hate her. Some of her episodes have been rather enjoyable, such as "Waiting for Snow," which bats close to home for me, or when Fern stole her stories. Maybe because she's a southern, she's relatable in some way, I don't know. I'll agree, I don't really get what's with the whole idea of shipteasing her and Arthur, maybe Arthur in particular is just so interested in her since she's so different from the kids he already knows that she's intrigued him in a way? I'm not sure.

Really, my only quibble with her (and Bud too) is even though the characters are southern, they're still voiced by Canadians, so not only does the accent sound exaggerated (it's forgiveable since they're from Louisiana, and Cajun accents are distinctive and noticable compared to other southern dialects), but they don't pronounce certain words like real southerns do... for example, we don't say, "Eye-ther/nye-ther" or "Raw-ther."

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:12 pm

@snowth poogle Shockingly enough, I didn't hate her (at first) either. When she was first introduced, I was excited! Probably because I had recently sent in a letter asking PBS if my OC (whos design is eerily similiar to Ladonna's) could be in the show (I was like, eleven, okay?) but a few minutes into her first episode I was getting skeptical. They ALL accepted her just like that? Wen muffy was new she really only had ONE friend and no one else really liked her for awhile. Granted she is muffy, but speaking from experience, no matter how interesting you may think you are, you don't just win over everybody right away. Unless you're a Mary Sue. As the episode went on I found myself just annoyed. The gang was acting out of character to make her seem like a poor unfortunate little soul for the kiddies to "relate to." Mark two of a Mary Sue. I found her first episode very poorly written and extremely annoying. My little siblings had boycotted the whole show by then. Later I watched that episode where she and Arthur got a ship tease, and then my mild annoyance blew up into full raging hate. I am very supportive of the Sue-Ellen/Arthur ship, but ever since the Ladonna arrived Sue Ellen's two major episodes involved: Arthur (her basically canon crush) teasing her, and although they make up the ending felt forced, like there was still some bitterness there, and her becoming vegetarian, which while not a bad thing, further distanced her from the group. It feels to me like a writer just decided "Hey! Let's make Ladonna, like, cool, and like, with Arthur!" And just went with it despite previous fanon/canon and the laws of good writing. And that's what's wrong with the newer seasons. flash animation just becuase the "Arthur Production Team" says so. and it saves money. Ladonna is a crazy, funny-talking character. Supposedly having mindless flashes of color onscreen is all they need to put up to get money.

Last edited by Wild Star The Crazy Kid on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Uh...Cinar's dead.9 Story is their replacement,and they have basically zero creative control over the show.They only produce the animation and voice acting.The writing is done over at WGBH Boston here in the States.Peter K. Hirsch,who has been a writer on the show since the first season,is current head writer and wrote Ladonna's introductory episode.I feel he meant for it to be an allusion to 9 Story taking over the animation(notice how horrid it's become,but not as bad as Seasons 12-15...you are criminal if you find those seasons' animation good),with Ladonna representing 9 Story.Its like they're telling you,we're now a little limited on what we can do now,but we can try our best and hope you still like it.Blame freelance writer Marin Gazzinigga for the ship tease episode.Yes,I pay attention to the writer's names.Theyre in the credits for a reason.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:47 pm

@BionicBunny ah, right. Thank you for catching that. I'm afraid I was a little hasty writing and forgot my facts, I'll fix that. I agree that Ladonna may be meant to represent the new direction of the show, that's why I dislike her so much. Saying they are MORE limited now I find silly. For all flash animations setbacks, the one good thing about it is that it gives animators MORE freedom. Look at this clip:Flash animated fight scene Hand drawn animation was slow and time consuming, and in the first seasons of arthur that was all they had to work with, so most charm had to come from how the episodes were written. Less slapstick, more wit, as opposed to know where the writing is either bland or annoying for most of the time, (I admit I did like the  Last Tough Customer...except for the ending) and  then there's ship teases that make no sense.  Of course I hated the  12-15 animation, but I found it easier on the eyes than fthe flash (and that's a legitimate concern for me, I have dozens of eye  problems) and at least then they were TRYING to resemble the older show, albeit horribly.  Also, there's no problem with paying attention to writers names! We're all fans here! Very Happy
Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:57 pm

Hmmm...you see,the age of being politically correct has brought many limits to the writing.Compare it to the writing of season 1,which was a smart,clever,and likable show.Compare season 1 writing to season 16 writing and notice how most plots these days either focus on some "important issue" or a generic cartoon plot that's been done time and time before.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:50 pm

I totally agree.
Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:17 am

Ok,good to clear that up.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:21 am

Ladonna vs. NASCAR, Round 1:
(viewer discretion advised)

A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Lel

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster & Molly Lover on Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Ladonna is all right to me, but I think I like her because I'm also from the south. What a Face
Buster & Molly Lover
Dirty Wizard
Dirty Wizard

View user profile http://brannonburns@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Yeah the over sterotyped "Golly gee I dont know nothin" "Whatcha all talkin about fellers?"
Accent is a bit OTT but she "Sure if funny" XDXDXD
Ladonna is okay in my book
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.fan fiction/jcrose

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:02 am

lol!
Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:45 am

Oh
You ship Sue ellen x Arthur ......
Canon? scratch scratch scratch
no no no no no noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I mean I'll go Down with the Franther ship!!! I'd ship Buster X Arthur even Fern x Arthur (that is, if she did not end up killing him in a rage out of nowhere) but....Sue ellen?
One episode!!! ONE my little sister is not gonna cut it
Too many look aheads of Francine with Arthur xoxox to be SueArthur
its Vomitrocious and I do not even dislike Sue Ellen which is weird but Id rather see Arthur with Muffy for the entertainment than Sue ellen with Arthur.....
Ladonna and Buster? possibly Ladonna and a TURD? I guess thats your ship Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
*points to self* this girl here, ARCINE baby
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Wild Starry Moony on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:28 am

Ah, Turdonna.. r8 8/8 ship of the year m8. lol! I do like Arcine, I just see Francine and George as a ship after "dancing fools" and I just like the idea of Sue Ellen and Arthur. My reason for calling it almost canon was a qoute from Marc Brown, something along the lines of Sue Ellen is a girl he crushed on and Arthur is him. Although Franther does seem to be written in the stars...and your profile pic makes them look so cute together.... WELL GOSHDANGIT I GUESS I SHIP THEM MORE THAN I THOUGHT Embarassed
Wild Starry Moony
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:05 am

I always thought it seemed the show abandoned the Sue Ellen and Arthur ship from the books in favor of Sue Ellen and Binky. I do not remember Sue Ellen being anything more in the books than a named Little Red Haired Girl until the series started.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:30 pm

Totally agree with you Matthew. At first, yes the "Arthurs valentine" book and the "diary" one seemed that Sue and Arthur were definitely based on Marcs childhood crush and there was something there, however as Matt stated, the show and writers deterred from that in favor of arthur x francine as there were some books "Who's in love with Arthur?" for example and in the "Arthurs Valentine" book, Francine did play his secret admirer and the show has one believe they are married and old and in the teenage lookaheads it seems they are still very good friends and sue ellen is not around. I did not even know who Sue ellen was lol, she did not really resemble the book character at all!! Mind you, those old books were pretty well weird.

LOL Yes Wild Sis XDXD "Dancing fools" is sweet! I liked the idea of Francine x George for awhile too, well not long term but they are definitely cuties and Sue ellen and Binky as well because there are subtle hints there...

Thank you for liking my pic Wink Yes I guess its fun to pair up character with character since the show is not going to age GRRR but still...That francine and Arthur sure make a gosh darn cute pairin as a southern stereotyped hare would say
Turdonna, thought you would love that most of all XDXDXD
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:06 pm

Another thing: Howcome she does not have the traditional Louisianan accent?
It is different right? I mean from what I have watched on New Orleans in particular and Docos, their voices have a different twang and well forgive me, are harder to understand!
Instead she gets a Forrest Gump Alabama accent
"Run BUD RUUUN"
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:16 pm

I live in South Louisiana, and we complain about Louisiana characters sounding like Alabamans in Church about 6 times a year.
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top