This Time, Grebe Rants (The Worst Summer of College Thus Far, Happy Times in Start of Fall)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This Time, Grebe Rants (The Worst Summer of College Thus Far, Happy Times in Start of Fall)

Post by GrebeGoddess on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:09 pm

And no, I don't mean the worst summer on here. I mean literally the worst summer IRL.

Late April to late June I applied for summer jobs. I got either rejections, no callbacks, or interviews then rejections.
Finally I applied to this commission-based representative position for an online advertising company. They interviewed me and accepted me. The company has a website, is already servicing businesses, and is overall legit...or so I think. First week was the toughest, as I kept calling businesses in my area to schedule appointments. I either got hung up on, offered email addresses, or the owners weren't available.
The director saw how much I and other reps were struggling, so she emailed us and said that she was setting appointments for us. There was only one appointment that she directly set for me; meanwhile I had replied to a Craigslist ad looking for above-minimum-wage workers who wanted to work the final few days of the state fair, and the employer responded to my email. The business owner appointment was at 1pm on a Wednesday in late July, while the State Fair job interview was at 9:45am that same day.

I already ranted about that disaster day in the chatbox after it happened, but to make a long story short: I couldn't get to the interview because both my bike tires ran flat, had to stop at a travel firm near the interview spot to grab a bus route for heading to the business appointment, I found out when I got there that the owner wasn't even there the entire fucking day...oh, and the wifi on my phone wasn't working that whole day. And when I emailed the director afterwards about what happened at the appointment, and she still has not responded to me yet. Went back to applying for jobs after she didn't respond, and I'm still getting no callbacks.

Then the girl who was one of my roommates for next lease, and who was helping me find a third roomie, jumped ship. So I had to find two new roommates from scratch. The first roommate had no problem with her application going through, but when the second roomie completed her application and turned it in, it took management until fucking yesterday to finally finish processing her app (for a valid reason, mind you, but the length of time was fucking annoying), only two days before the current lease ended! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it finally went through, but what if it didn't before the new lease started and rent was due?

Finally, today I've had to deal with flake-outs with those who promised me compensation for helping them move. There's probably a little more I missed, but anyway...this site has seriously kept me sane.

Last edited by GrebeGoddess on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This Time, Grebe Rants (The Worst Summer of College Thus Far, Happy Times in Start of Fall)

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:43 pm

My regrets that things have been so rocky for you over the past few months - I remember how crazy the whole whirlwind of living costs, arrangements, scheduling, etc. was at times during college.  So much of it can be arbitrary and spontaneous, it really adds to the whole feeling of instability.  On the upside, your experience dealing with these sorts of real-life hassles during college will better prepare you for managing living expenses and such afterwards once you enter the workforce.  

Jobs based purely on commission never really appealed to me, either.  Unless you're tapping into an existing trusted customer list, it can be incredibly frustrating and uphill.  Many such jobs work like pyramid schemes too, unfortunately.  I remember Primerica attempting to recruit me during business school.  They used shady tactics to pull me into an interview by claiming they were Citigroup, but it became clear that it was really an Alticor type of scam after a few minutes.  On the upside, your work did get you some experience in sales and marketing - which could be beneficial in helping you secure a better and more stable position at a later time.  About the difficulty securing a Summer job, that's really more a reflection of how rough the economy is these days.  A lot of students can't secure any sort of work, so it's good that you managed to find something to help build your resume.

I still think that the whole debacle with your grand bike adventure through the woods and into the big city would make for a great Arthur episode.  If it does turn a fanfic as planned, then at least something good will have come of it. Surprised
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: This Time, Grebe Rants (The Worst Summer of College Thus Far, Happy Times in Start of Fall)

Post by GrebeGoddess on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:23 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:I still think that the whole debacle with your grand bike adventure through the woods and into the big city would make for a great Arthur episode.  If it does turn a fanfic as planned, then at least something good will have come of it. Surprised

Oh, it's gonna be part of more than a fanfic really soon. Very Happy

Last edited by GrebeGoddess on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:09 am; edited 2 times in total
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:31 pm

A Lotta Moms wrote:On the upside, your work did get you some experience in sales and marketing - which could be beneficial in helping you secure a better and more stable position at a later time.  About the difficulty securing a Summer job, that's really more a reflection of how rough the economy is these days.  A lot of students can't secure any sort of work, so it's good that you managed to find something to help build your resume.

I remember deleting the position and details from my resume after the grand bike adventure happened. With the statistics of how people in unpaid positions fare worse in the workforce than no-internship and paid-position people, I thought that I'd be in the same boat if employers found out that I ended up not getting paid from this. It actually wasn't until just this week that I finally thought about the beneficial experience part and decided to re-add it onto my resume.
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrebeGoddess on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:57 pm

Yesterday was a happy ending to my Summer of Hell: my summer international roommate from Europe was kind enough to leave her dishes and other miscellaneous items for me, and the family of one of my new roommates included me in their lunch.

Then, at the time when moving weekend was officially over, my friend and I went out for a stroll around campus. During which, we met these international Japanese guys studying at our university. I told them they reminded me of a famous boyband as they were walking towards us, but they couldn't understand us because they didn't speak English. So my friend, who is also Asian, became translator on the spot. The only two Japanese words I know are "kawaii" and "konichiwa." And since neither of us knew what "boyband" was in Japanese, I just said "you are kawaii." They blushed and one of them covered his face with his book lol. Then we went on our way. I wonder if we'll see them again...but that was fun!
GrebeGoddess
The Murder Clown
The Murder Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:31 am

u be r4kin in fellas now sis! 

Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:03 pm

How do they understand the prof? Hmmm....scandal. Wink

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:15 am

I'm glad to hear that things have been going a bit better in Grebeville, lately.  That's a cute anecdote with the group of Asian students.  Sounds like you are, indeed, rakin' in the fellas!  Laughing
A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top