The Decline of George

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Decline of George

Post by Nope on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Welp, here we go again. A topic dedicated to the observation of a moose-reindeer kid, from simple introvert to potential basket case.

Earlier on, George was just a background kid with some minor quirks - he's seen smirking at Arthur's predicament with the girl's bathroom in "Arthur's Eyes" and does an odd clap at the end of one of Muffy's classroom presentations ("Locked in the Library"). I'm sure he was seen being chased down by the Tough Customers sometime prior to the third season as well. His first real role was "Arthur's Dummy Disaster", showing him with a crackpot wooden dummy Giraffe "Wally" he showed off at shop class.

The episode's events actually stuck throughout the next 2 seasons - George really did give up the giraffe and moved on to other things. Stink bugs, getting coated in custard, and smelly fish as late as the Christmas special. Despite being awkward, he seemed just about viable.

Then the writers decided to back-flip during the sixth season. It was written that the dummy was somehow returned to him, and it's simply gone further now. Instead of showing it off as a potential mean to voice his real views on others, he uses it as this personal conciliation device to aid with his new plight of dyslexia. He even goes to the point of saying "Thanks, Wally" as if the dummy were alive - then he proceeds to box it up. He still totes it around, only dismissing it in the Asperger's episode where Wally inadvertently disturbs the asperger's kid. One cannot be entirely blamed for that - Wally really is creepy on its own and it's worse when George makes him out to be a living being of sorts. George lives off Wally as if it were some sort of life force - he already proved he could live without the dummy, so why go back to it? The obvious answer would have been for the sake of writing - there admittedly wasn't much else to George besides the dummy episode. Does that mean they should have brought back the dummy for sake of making George interesting? I don't think so.

The idea of taking an inanimate object and pretending it's alive is not only real but even more disturbing in real life.
I suppose it is related to the spectrum of mental disorders - Autism, Asperger's, and so on. The belief that a toy of sorts is a living thing to the point of using it as a friend, conciliation mentor, and all that. That said, here's one example of a real-life "George and Wally". Viewer caution advised.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Decline of George

Post by Rummy on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:06 pm

I've also got another good example of George and Wally.
You can just compare the insanity.

Rummy
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Don't get me started. George used to be my top favorite character in the old seasons. That dummy really dragged him down that I can't bring myself to watch a George episode now.
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:15 am

I didn't initially notice his non-Wally period, but apparently there really was a short period of time when George was making very real progress toward being a normal moose boy.  Even without Wally, he's an interesting addition to the cast as the signature bullied, awkward kid.  Who knows, maybe a particularly cruel instance with Molly & Crew made him regress.  Because some of Molly's language has been censored out at times (as in the Law of the Jungle Gym with the deliberately loud garbage truck and school bell), it's suggested that she's capable of being much, much nastier than what we're allowed to see and hear.  I can absolutely picture her doing or saying something so malicious to poor George it really traumatizes him.  

More than one horror movie's been crafted around the idea of the person's identity merging into the puppet, and ultimately being forever lost in a fantasy world where the puppeteer can rationalize doing horrible things and blaming the puppet to avoid any moral culpability or guilt.  The puppet becomes ever more lifelike as the puppeteer becomes more wretched and despicable.

If George doesn't break free soon, I'm afraid the inevitable result of his unholy union with that infernal piece of wood will look something like this:

A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:54 am

You can say that George is really down in the dumps.

Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:53 am

Actually, Wally did decay in his first episode - he literally went to pieces just before George's recital in the library.
Even when he was first fixed, he wasn't quite the same. Notice his one-piece neck when he's handed off to D.W. - ah, but they changed that anyways.

George really needs to stop overdosing the ExLax.  What a Face 

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Wally's neck became more solid and lifelike as he absorbed George's life force.
I still can't believe how much that toilet moose looks like George.  I'll be damned if they didn't deliberately base the design off of him.  
That, or maybe the book is based on a rejected Arthur script submission...
A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top