So Funny I Forgot to Laugh discussion thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So Funny I Forgot to Laugh discussion thread

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Seriously, "The Last Tough Customer" was good enough. Why remake "Arthur's Big Hit"?*

Getting with the times gave Arthur the unfortanute one-episode title of "a bully". Way to go, Mr. Hirsch (I believe that was the writer).

And they were just getting started doing Flash. The Flash got less noticeable over time through the current season!

*I know it wasn't a remake but there are similarites as why people hate this.

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So Funny I Forgot to Laugh discussion thread

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:15 am

Bumping this thread because I would like a discussion. Sure it's 2 seasons late, but still....

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:38 am

I've been meaning to get around to this one.  I do try to hit all of the interesting discussion topics eventually, but a lot of stuff has come up lately.

Anyway, it did seem pretty out of character for Arthur to be such a jerk towards Sue Ellen.  It seemed even more unusual since there were earlier hints of him having a crush on her...although it was all from very early episodes and books.  We've seen Arthur and D.W. really go at it sometimes, but it just doesn't seem like he really has it in him to act that way towards his peers.  I think he works better as more of a victim than a victimizer, although I do find the rare instances where he comes off as a little uncaring to be a good way of rounding out his character...since even the nicest kids (and adults) can sometimes come off as cold and irritable due to a bad mood, bad day, etc.  

Yeah, I agree that it did have some thematic similarities to the much more powerful TLTC.  As with a lot of rehash and semi-rehash episodes, I think they probably figure that it's okay to repackage a good idea for a newer audience that's less likely to have seen the original.  Still, it does get a bit tiresome for those of us who are so familiar with the entire series.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthurfan21 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:21 pm

Well, So Funny I Forgot to Laugh aired yesterday. Any more thoughts on this episode?

Arthurfan21
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:04 pm

In retrospect, there is one thing about this episode that really strikes me as odd: Binky finds Arthur's drawing, thinking it's Fern as a goat, and thinks it's funny, but when Arthur tells him it's Sue Ellen as a sheepdog, he's somehow offended by it, and criticizes Arthur for how poorly he drew it... even though when he thought it looked like Fern as a goat, he thought it looked funny.

As much as Arthur/Sue Ellen is something of a fan-prefered couple, this almost further instills the idea in my mind that Binky has a thing for Sue Ellen, as evidenced in previous episodes. Fern as a goat? Pure comedy for Binky. Sue Ellen as a sheepdog? Oh no you di'nt!

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:22 pm

The funniest thing about Ferny Goat is that it really doesn't seem like too much a stretch when you consider the shape of her face.  You can even picture her bow taking on the shape of two budding horns...Razz

Speaking of this episode, there's an interactive comic/game of it up on PBS's website:

http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/comic_sofunny/

The best thing about it is that you can alter the course of the storyline near the end.  If you ever wondered what would have happened if Arthur kept on teasing her unmercifully, now's your chance to find out!
A Lotta Moms

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:17 pm

Those alternate endings reminds me of an old Chipette fanfic I started reading many ages and moons ago: it was off to a terrific start, for real, the first chapter flowed very nicely, and was written very well: Eleanor was being bullied at school, she shrugged it off at first, but other girls kept bullying her, and once they started making cracks about her weight, that hit a raw nerve with her. That's just a summary of what the first chapter started out as... then towards the end of the chapter, it's as if the author suddenly stopped caring, because it was pretty much written like this: "Eleanor ran home, began cutting her wrists, and spent the rest of the night cursing out Miss Miller and her sisters. Next chapter coming soon!" Really.

That was bad, but this just cracked me up! "Arthur kept making dog jokes, his and Sue Ellen's friendship will never be the same again, and his friends were mad at him for a long, LONG time. The end." Laughing And "Arthur stopped making dog jokes but refused to apologize, so his friends stopped seeing him, if his friends are mad at him, that's THEIR problem. The end." lol!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top