Butchery at its worst!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Butchery at its worst!

Post by Nope on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Being busy is fun. So is watching Arthur.

Not fun is seeing how the local PBS network has butchered older episodes to fit time constraints by chopping up footage, cutting out certain scenes, or speeding up parts. Parts of the old Arthur episodes have been sped up by MPTV/PBS, such as the toppling books scene in "Buster Hits The Books" and the invading germ cells in "Arthur's Knee". Another one happens in "Grandma Thora Appreciation Day", where some parts are sped up again during the scene where Arthur and D.W. rush to prepare the party decorations. It's so badly done, like someone hit fast-forward at random parts. The music is often cut down, too.

It's just a shame since the original episodes were great - airing them in cut-down form really brings them down, and inevitably gives first-time viewers a poor impression.

Do any other PBS networks in your guys' areas do this, too? As far as I know, this is exclusive to MPTV.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Butchery at its worst!

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Um, no... as I've mentioned in another thread, the only editing I've seen of older episodes on my PBS is the complete replacement of the original end titles with new versions that resemble the 9 Story seasons end titles and even include a Buster voice-over plug for the PBS Kids Arthur website.

I have heard that some PBS affiliates are doing this, though I'm glad it hasn't been the case with mine yet.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:01 pm

I'm intrigued. As noted, this was on the MPTV station which is a "custom" PBS network. I do not believe the standard PBS hosts (WPT) have edited the older episodes. If any episodes from seasons 2-5 air again, I'll have to check.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top