I May Finally Write a Fanfic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I May Finally Write a Fanfic

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:42 pm

It's been a while since I've written a fanfic for anything... early in the Turn of the Millennium, before I was banned from FFN, I wrote a slue of fanfics, ranging from COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG, ED, EDD N EDDY, GRIM & EVIL (or THE GRIM ADVENTURES OF BILLY AND MANDY), BEWITCHED, SESAME STREET, and I forget what else. Throughout much of 2008, I wrote and self-published a number of ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS fanfics, and since then I've tried my hand at a few M*A*S*H fanfics.

I've always wanted to tried my hand at an ARTHUR fanfic, but ARTHUR is such a hard show to write fanfics for (but then again, M*A*S*H is too), mainly because the show itself has already exhausted every possible scenario imaginable... but then again, there's also the possibility of aging the characters, thus creating new situations (like I did with the Chipmunks). But anyway, I think I may have finally hit on something for an ARTHUR fanfic, and I may give it a try. Once again, I have to say the idea is pretty much came up based on some of Moms's thoughts and comments... not sure when I'll start working on it, but just prepared, as I may soon be publishing my first ARTHUR fanfic evah!

Last edited by Snowth Poogle on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I May Finally Write a Fanfic

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:38 pm

I humbly await its arrival!  

A few of us have been tossing around some possible ideas for an Arthur fanfic in chat over the past month that have likewise inspired me to possibly try my hand at a serious scene sometime in the near future, since the extent of my fanfic writing so far has been limited to surreal/silly blurbs in our never-ending chatplay.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:20 pm

Oh, I'd just love to see the kind of fic you'd come up with, lol!

Like I said, really, the best possible scenario for fanfic writers is age the characters, because that's just about the only thing the show itself hasn't done yet, and as such, that would open the door to new possibilities; I've enjoyed a few high school fics in the past - as I've said, I get a laugh out of the way Buster is almost always a stoner in high school... and some seem to come up with really funny and clever ways of how they kids end up with Ratburn in high school as well.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:14 pm

Hopefully I'll actually be able to crank something out soon instead of just thinking about it as usual.  I'm picturing something surprisingly serious and dramatic, which would be a shift away from my usual approach.  Of course, there would always be a slight degree of absurdity to taking Arthur characters as seriously as one would in a stark, real-life drama.  If unintentional hilarity ensues, then I suppose that works just as well.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Well, it finally all fell into place: I already had the basic premise of the story, I just had to work out all the details, which took a little while, then finally the resolution in the end came up in a snap.

So, may I present my first-ever ARTHUR fic, "Picture Perfect"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:09 pm

Ah, at long last!  I just grabbed dinner, and am sitting down to give it a thorough read.  Very Happy
Just at a glance, the progressive Marina portraits are really cute. I especially like her 2nd and 3rd grade renditions.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:05 pm

Ah, yes.

Oddly enough, it was her second grade picture that was a complete afterthough, lol.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:58 pm

All righty!  Just finished.  I'm really impressed - it felt just like a genuine Arthur episode, from the character interactions to how the theme plays out in the end.  Some of my favorite moments -

-Buster leaking a strange brown substance while standing in line.  Before I'd discovered that it was pancake syrup, my mind was going in less appetizing direction.
-That moment where Prunella is dreamily describing Marina's beautiful features, almost losing herself in the moment.  I love you
-Marina grabbing her cane in the end, as opposed to having her mother hand it to her.  Maybe I'm reading into things, but that seemed to reflect the fact that Marina had gained a greater level of understanding and maturity after having learned her lesson, allowing her to take another step towards growing up and being independent.

Again, great work!
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Moms! And just to touch on some of what you brought up...

- Yes, of all the little personal crisis the kids have while waiting in line, I knew I wanted Buster to have some kind of food stain on his sweater, and knowing he probably got dressed before breakfast, pancake syrup being messy, and Buster not being a particularly neat eater... I can only imagine what you thought it might have been! XD
- Indeed... like you said, Marina is so adorable and so cute, and yet she'll never be able to see for herself what we all (especially Prunie) see in her. Sad
- Wow, you know what? That is a great observation, I didn't even think of that as I was writing, but I like it. I think in the back of my mind, in the flashback, Mrs. Datillo is already dolling her up and brushing her hair and such, and just simply had her cane ready to hand to her to send her on her way to school, but again, I like your interpretation better... after all, art is interpretation! Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:33 am

Absolutely!  I always love reading through and analyzing quality Arthur fics, since there's just so much Travis 2014 out there these days.  It's tragic about Marina, really...I wanted to be the one giving her that hug at the end of the story.  Sad  But I'm glad you like my interpretation of the closing scene - it's good to know that my crazy speculation has some use around here other than causing concern and bewilderment.  Razz
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by WatteauMasterDetective on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:42 pm

Nicely done! You have my vote afro
WatteauMasterDetective
Dumpster Diver
Dumpster Diver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:18 pm

Well, I've finished adapting the story into a script, and inspite removing Marina's initial daydream and tightening some of the dialogue, it ended up coming to 27 pages/minutes... so I've got a lot of serious cutting to do.

Interestingly enough, even though I've written a number of production scripts before, this was the first spec script I've written for another show, and after doing some research, I've learned that spec scripts are supposed to lack a lot of things such as transitions and excessive stage directions... even then, the script is still too long.

I'm considering cutting out the resolution with Prunella taking Marina's picture for Mrs. Datillo: it would end the story on a cliffhanger, but Marina would still learn her lesson. I still would rather get some other opinions about what I can let go.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:07 pm

Ah, now that I'm finally back on a more normal basis and had a chance to catch up on this topic, here are some thoughts -

In terms of material to cut for space, I might consider paring down some of Muffy's cameo appearances.  She does add a nice touch of variety to the predominantly Prunella/Marina plot, but isn't necessarily vital.  The Olympic dream might also be an element to consider removing and limiting to a mention, since we've already become familiar with Marina's athletic aspirations in Tardy Tumbler (so most fans would likely have it in recent memory).

I really liked the resolution in the end involving Prunella recovering and presenting Marina's picture to her mother, and would probably keep that in. The original teaser is also a nice touch, although it might also be able to go or be shortened in order to allow for more script space.

I'll look things over a little bit more and see if I can come up with any other suggestions. Smile
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Great minds think alike, I was actually considering trimming some of Muffy's scenes, or possibly eliminating her elements altogether, I thought having someone to share in Prunella's excitement for Picture Day would offer a contrast to her differing opinions with Marina... but I'm starting to think Muffy's scene bog it down.

As for the daydream, yeah, I removed the initial sequence from the fic and meshed it instead with Prunie getting her to smile for her new picture, but you may be right, the entire thing may not even be necessary at all either way.

The teaser's only 2 pages, which is the usual amount for teasers and tags in scripts, but I'm still thinking about nuking it and instead built up to the plot itself with Marina dropping her bombshell to Prunie... that, I'm still debating... I almost feel like I need to include a few other characters, if only briefly.

What do you think of Mrs. Datillo and Marina's understanding of each other's feelings? I like the way I wrote it in the fic, but maybe it might be a little long and maudlin... looking at it again when writing the script, I noticed Marina mentions her dislike for the whole she-bang her mother puts her through twice in the same scene, which isn't necessary.

Thanks Moms, I can always count on you to back me! afro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:22 pm

Absolutely - like I said, always glad to give feedback and help with the creative process with whatever capacity I have left after forgetting where I set down the other half of my brain last week. Razz  I know it took me a little while to respond, just because I had some personal stuff going on over the weekend...but that's pretty much cleared up now.

I think the confessional scene between Marina and her mother is definitely a keeper, but I could also possibly see it pared down just a little bit to keep the ending concise.  I'd definitely keep in the bit where Marina grabs her own cane, though - since it seems to have taken on an unintentionally (or at least subconsciously) poingnant character.  Idea

I'll see if I can come up with any other thoughts over the course of the night, too...
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:01 pm

I'm so close... so close... I worked on the script just about all day yesterday and some more this morning, and after butchering it up even more, it's now down to just barely 24 pages, and the runthrough is now 14 minutes... I just have two more minute's worth of material to get rid of, but I honestly don't know what else I can cut without ruining the story.

Since my last post, I've cut out the brief little moment of Prunie studying Marina's school picture from last year, remarking on how forced and insincere her smile is; I replaced the scene in Ratburn's class and Muffy catching up with Prunie at her locker with a brief scene in Prunie's class and her expressing her excitement to her teacher; and tightened the confession scene even more. I had added a scene to the script that wasn't in the fic where we actually see Mrs. Datillo's phone conversation with Marina's principal, but I cut it too... I think it builds tension better to have her find the order form, look suspicious, then we later find her waiting for Marina when she gets home.

But as I said, I just don't know what else to cut without completely destroying the story. I don't believe I'm very suited for doing short stories, lol.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Glad to see that everything's coming along so well.  Here are some more thoughts on the last round of consderations:

1.  The initial mention of Marina's pictures by her mother is a good idea, since it introduces the issue up-front without seeming like it's too deliberate.  
2.  If you decided to re-include it, I think Ratburn's lesson works well with the scene immediately showing him in action and doling out tough material.  From memory, I think this has happened in the show a few times.  It's effective because it creates a jarring contrast and amplifies just how intense and rattling his tough teaching style can be.  You feel a little bit of a jolt as the scene opens - but in a good way. One possibility might be to show the tail end of the lesson, after which Muffy heads out into the hallway to talk to Prunie.  Though, I see the reasons behind why it was cut out.
3.  Marina's mother actually finding the order form is definitely a more effective way of the issue coming to light, as opposed to a prior conversation with the principal.  Good that that approach remained intact.

I've never actually tried script writing myself, but now I'm starting to see how challenging it can be when it comes to ensuring that certain things fit within a limited time frame.  And you're doing a great job with this so far - probably better than I could with my first script - so no need to get discouraged.  Wink  I'm actually feeling inspired to try my hand at a follow-up.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Heh, yes; as I've said, I've written production scripts before (which include a lot more details such as stage directions, editing directions, more detailed action blocks, and other things that are usually left out of simple spec scripts), and I find the biggest challenge is keeping the story within a certain timeframe, all the while making sure the story still flows smoothly and makes sense... and I have a tendency to fit a lot of detail into stories I write and such...

Like I said, I figure since this is my first spec script, I'd rather condense the story into an 11-12 minute single as opposed to coming up with additional filler for a full 21-22 episode.

I'm still looking into where I can still trim and tighten some dialogue, because I've pretty much axed out all the sequences I feel I can.

And yes, I'm still anticipating your follow-up; we need more stories where Marina's the main focus, not just the second-banana to Prunie. Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:00 am

Staying concise can be a problem for me too, especially since I have a tendency to make small details very elaborate and unnecessarily abstract so as to create the "heavy-handed art film parody" effect.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:18 am

shit r0cks, u work for the show bro?
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile