Favorite Seasons?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Favorite Seasons?

Post by Nope on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:16 am

Well this was posted on the old board, but here we go again - what is your favorite season of Arthur?

I suppose for me, it'd be the first five and little else. The fifth season was a little rough in some spots, but it was overall enjoyable in my eyes - it was also the last season to use full-out traditional animation, before they started to digitally color in the animation frames.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite Seasons?

Post by A Lotta Moms on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:31 am

Like most, I agree that most of the best episodes, animation, and scripts were from the Crazy Bus Joe period (Seasons 1-6).  Season 1, of course, has an unfair advantage over the others due to being twice as long and having most of the Arthur Adventure book carryovers.  

I'd definitely include Season 6 for having two of the best episodes in the series - The Good Sport and Crushed.  I was really impressed with the believability and complexity of emotions in both of those, which they accomplished subtly and without seeming heavy-handed.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by squid on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:24 pm

16 and 17. the voices fit perfectly with the new animation.
squid
Japanese School Girl
Japanese School Girl

View user profile http://jamesmedia.neocities.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Most of us can definitely agree that the show was at it's best when Crazy Joe Davol... uh... Joe Bus Fallon at the helm.

So yeah, my favorite seasons are definitely 1-4, however, I do also really like 7 and 8. I'm giving 16 and 17 the benefit of the doubt so far, they're tolerable to watch mainly because Arthur finally has a decent voice actor again.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:35 pm

I particularly like the first five seasons.Scratch that.Make it first eight.Liking season 17 so far.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:40 pm

I can tolerate Season 5, mainly because it pretty much still retains the original look (animation, layout, design, coloring) and feel (writing, direction etc.) of the previous season, but it's kind of disorienting with Arthur's balls dropping. :p

6... well, believe it or not, my PBS used to skip 6 altogether for some reason, don't know why, and by the time I finally ever saw Season 6 in 2004, I was suffering from depressing (not the one associate with Accutane, as explained in another thread), and it's hard for me to bring myself to even watch anything from Season 6, since it brings back unpleasant memories of darker times.

Then of course, 9-15, I have issues withArthur sounding like D.W. and D.W. sounding like a chipmunk, plus a lot of the stories were either bland, unbelieveable, or showed evidence the writers were out of ideas.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:36 pm

I really haven't found Seasons 16 and 17 to be nearly as bad as so many make them out to be.  I'm still anxiously awaiting Caught in the Crosswires so we can get some more premium Muffeh.  Arthur did have a strange voice transition during Season 6.  It scarcely sounded like the Arthur I'm used to.

That's an awful trick, keeping Season 6 and Francine's Evil Dead Goose Transformation (my original ECC avatar) from the audience.  If I'd missed out on that, I'm sure I'd be pretty depressed, too.  Funny how that sort of unintentional classical conditioning can attach positive or negative emotions to things that just happen to be present at a given point in time.  I sometimes find that when I watch things from the 90s, I'm happier.  Not just because it's necessarily better (though it usually is), but because it takes me back to a time when life was happier and more simple.  

It's off-topic, but I had my own bout of depression years back after breaking off a relationship with a girl who was also my best friend for a few years prior.  I went to a shrink who put me on Paxil - which is basically a form of chemical castration.  They apparently figured that since I was having relationship troubles, they'd just castrate me and make sure I never had the urge to enter into another relationship again.  Gotta love their logic.

Needless to say, I ditched the Paxil and drilled a hole in my head to release the evil spirits.  It really worked.  Of course I still get pretty wobbly from time to time and see Mr. Snuffleupagus, but hey...who doesn't love good old Snuffy?  elephant
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:52 am

Gracious Moms, what an enchanted world you live in.

But, yeah... it's true.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roabe on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:04 am

When it first aired I didn't really like any of Season 4; it seemed like the show was becoming too aware of itself, and that's usually the sign that a series is on its way out. Of course my prediction was completely wrong, and not only that, Season 4 ended up becoming my favorite of the Cinar era. So many of those episodes grew on me.

I like Season 7 as well. The animation was at its best (it seemed to falter a couple of years later, even before the switchover to Flash), two awesome Muffy episodes right in a row (also, with half of the BSB special, it seemed like Season 7 was "Muffy's" season), Molly gets some long-deserved character development, and "April 9th."
Roabe
Dead of Slept
Dead of Slept

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Muffy Goes Metropolitan - Possibly the best Muffysode ever.  Her opening theme song really knocked my socks off the first time I saw it.  Totally unexpected.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Most of the early seasons are pretty good.
But truth be told, I'm not a really picky guy, I might like all of the seasons equally.
Earlier ones slightly better because of the smoother animations, the new seasons do have more vibrant colors than the early seasons though, so that's a pro.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:24 pm

The show started a new color process by Season 6... I'm wondering if by then, even though the animation was still done by hand, if the coloring process was done digitally? I know ED, EDD N EDDY adopted that process after it was uncanceled.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:21 pm

I knew those earlier episodes were lower saturation and had a more pastel appearance.
It's worth noting that the early books were even lower-saturation. Personally, I like the lower-saturation feel. There's something more magical, calm and understated about it.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rummy on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm a fool for pretty vibrant colors.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:34 pm

I hate to bump an old thread(Well,not really) but here's how I would rank the seasons and why-
1.Season 3-I don't know why,but this is the season I feel has the most "classic" stories-The Singing Moose,Buster getting back from his travels,Francine gets a cat,The Long,Dull Winter,Mom and Dad Have a Great Big Fight,Library Card,Jekyll Jekyll Hyde,Arthur goes Crosswire,and so many more.A lot of the plots this season seemed very "epic" to me-the show was definitely at its peak.I wonder if this is because the show was possibly going to be slated for cancellation after this season-it would've ended the series at 65 episodes,which seemed to be a pretty big trend in cartoons back then.The animation kept getting better as well.It's definitely my favorite season of all time.
2.Season 2-This season had a lot of memorable stories as well,but for some reason just doesn't really stand out to me-I mean,I love this season too,it contains my favorite episode-plus,the animation started getting good-it's just that it kinda feels bland to me compared to other classic seasons.
3.Season 1-Season 1 is overall enjoyable,but the awful animation knocked it down a few spots.
4.Season 4-I love Season 4,but the "message" stories started coming-knocked it down a few.
5.Season 5-Season 5 had some pretty crappy stories(*cough*"The Shore Thing"*cough*) and Arthur sounding like a teenager doesn't do this season any favors in my eyes,but the Christmas special and Baxter Day are definitely it's saving graces.
6.Season 7-I love Season 7,and the new animation process was welcome,but a few of the early stories and the BSB special made it kinda like they were running out of ideas.I mean,the Backstreet Boys? Seriously? If they wanted to do a special with musical celebrities,I'd suggest the Beatles-that way it'd be timeless and it'd make more sense for it to be a spoof of "A Hard Day's Night"
7.Season 6-I like Season 6,but making George dyslexic was a bad idea-so was replacing Joe Fallon as head writer with Peter K. Hirsch.But it definitely had a lot of good spots.
8.Season 8-Pretty great,but the plots started to seem tired-I've always thought of "Bleep" as the original,classic Arthur's swan song.
9.Season 9-Just like Season 8,but Arthur's voice change is not welcome. Cameron Ansell,if I ever meet you,I swear I'll beat your sorry little ass.
10.Season 10-I think this should've been the last season produced,because it was really the last one with stories worth watching.
Whew,that took a lot out of me.More later.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:57 am

old ones prolly, new ones mabbe.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down