Draw! / World War II Analysis

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Draw! / World War II Analysis

Post by A Lotta Moms on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:35 am

As promised, here's my semi-serious, semi-crackpot theory about Draw! being a thinly-veiled allegory for World War II and Nazi persecution of the Jews.  First, the credits:

Francine - The Jews
Fern - Hitler / Nazi Germany
Ms. MacGrady - The Soviet Union
Arthur - Switzerland
Buster and Gang - The Axis
The Carnival - WWI / WWII
The Fortune Tent - The Nuremberg Trials

World War I & Post-War Europe - Last Year's Carnival

The show begins with the announcement that there will be an annual carnival that will involve another one of Ratburn's puppet shows.  Nearly everything surrounding the idea of the carnival is awful and threatening.  Its announcement by Mr. Haney is scripted, phony and hurts everyone's ears because the speaker is too loud.  Ms. Sweetwater's Fudge song annoys and torments others.  Mr. Haney's trick of sawing people in half is clearly homicide waiting to happen.  Mr. Ratburn's puppet show from the previous carnival is remembered as a mostly horrible event -- except for Fern.  Like Fern's enjoyment of last year's carnival, Hitler, as a soldier in WWI, enjoyed passionately fighting for Germany and was deeply disappointed when Germany surrendered.  Like Hitler, who yearned for a second chance to wage war, Fern looks forward to the upcoming carnival.  

The carnival, a recurring event, takes on the role of World War I after its occurrence in Post-War Europe.  Like World War I, the carnival left many bad memories in the minds of those who experienced it.  All of the noise pollution from the loudspeaker and the Fudge Song represent the horrible mustard gas attacks from WWI that left such lingering traumatic effects that were still being felt years after the war had ended.  Like post-war Europe, the school has awful memories of the past event and is disturbed over the premonition of the next.

The Puppet Show - Ulterior Motives

Furthermore, consider that several events surrounding the carnival and its announcement were phony in nature.  Haney's speech was slow and scripted.  Ratburn's puppet show involved, well, puppetry.  In Post-War Europe and to this day, many contend that World War I was, like many wars, an excuse for financial interests to use nations and their militaries to seize control of land and resources under the false pretense of a crisis (i.e. the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand).  In essence, World War I was viewed as a puppet show, with sinister ulterior movies and shadowy interests pulling the strings.

Depressed Germany and Jewish Entanglement

It is at this point that Francine's role as the Jews comes into play.  In Post-War Europe, it was the prevailing belief among many that the Jews had taken the opportunity, upon Germany's defeat, to seize and solidify their control of the financial sector and unduly influence the government for their pecuniary gain.  While the truth behind this belief is dubious, it's a crucial part of Post-War ideology that, for the sake of this comparison, will be taken into account.  There is a scene at the lunch table where Fern's feelings are hurt after Francine and the others shun her for enjoying the puppet show.  Fern runs away.  This symbolizes Germany's defeat and gravely weakened state after WWI.  After Fern runs off, Francine takes the opportunity to seize a cookie off of Fern's plate and eat it.  This represents the Jews taking the opportunity of a weakened Germany to seize control of its financial sector.

Rise of the Third Reich - Rise of the Third Grade

At this point, Fern has had enough and snaps.  She asserts herself and takes action against Francine, launching a smear campaign of propaganda against her that greatly exaggerates her characteristics and paints her as greedy and destructive.  Similarly, the events of Post-War Europe led Hitler and the Nazi Party to mobilize and launch a propaganda campaign against the Jews that greatly distorted their characteristics, painting them as greedy and destructive.  Several other students, including Buster, join in on the propaganda campaign and turn against Francine.  Similarly, other nations (Italy, Japan) joined forces with Hitler as he mobilized against the Jews and the rest of Europe.  

Notice that one of the drawings of Francine depicts her as a giant green blob that consumes everything in sight, growing and growing until the entire world is threatened.  This is similar to the Nazi propaganda that framed the Jews as financially greedy (represented by green), ever expanding and "consuming" via power and financial control.  In the drawing, it's only when Buster shows up and defeats the green blob that the world is saved.  Similarly, Nazi propaganda held that it was the duty of Axis powers to defeat the Jewish threat and "save the world."  At this point, Francine has become shunned.  Her friends mostly avoid her, and she's lost her position and status in their social circle.  Similarly, the propaganda campaign and subsequent military actions against the Jews completely ruined them, making them a shunned, persecuted people.  Another observation is that one of the anti-Francine drawings is about "Frank" the cow.  While this is outwardly a play on Francine's name, it may also be a reference to Anne Frank and her family - likely the most famous Jewish victims of Nazi persecution.

By now, the tables have turned and Francine has been defeated.  As she's walking home, she runs into Fern, Buster and the others.  In one of the most crude scenes in the series, Buster farts (or makes a muffled laugh that sounds like flatulence) at her when she tells him to move out of her way.  This clearly symbolizes the Axis's use of the gas chamber to exterminate the Jews once they had been subdued.

Through all of this, while Arthur joins in on laughing at Francine briefly, he is the least involved in the smear campaign.  He steps back from it on a few occasions, realizing that it's become cruel and destructive.  Similarly, Switzerland and a select few nations gave little or no support to either the Axis or the Allies, seeing folly in the destructive conflict and choosing to remain neutral, participating only when it seemed to benefit the process of making peace.  Arthur seems to most resemble these neutral nations, as he does very little to further or help stop the campaign against Francine.

The Allies - The Great MacGrady

Up until this point, Ms. MacGrady hasn't really been part of the story.  Not being entirely aware of what's happening, she's on good or neutral terms with everyone.  It's not until she discovers the comics of Francine in her lunchroom that she decides it's time to intervene and take action.  Similarly, the Soviet Union had entered into a treaty with Hitler or a brief period of time and enjoyed neutral relations with the Axis and the other Allied powers alike.  Like MacGrady discovering the effects of Fern's smear campaign polluting/messing up her lunchroom, the Soviet Union finally decided to turn against Hitler and help the Allied forces once Hitler moved aggressively into Soviet territory.  Like MacGrady, who is the adult in the situation and clearly in the greatest position of power and authority, the Soviet Union was much larger and more powerful than Germany and the Axis.  Many historians agree that the Axis never really had any chance against it in the first place.  When Hitler attempted his campaign into the Soviet Union, harsh weather conditions, snow and blizzards were a key factor in his defeat.  Similarly, MacGrady's snowy white hair, representing her age and wisdom, is a natural condition that allowed her to defeat Fern's smear campaign and save Francine.  Similarly, MacGrady's signature pink lunch lady apron and pink fortune teller tent is a reference to the  derogatory "Pinko" term used to refer to Communist sympathizers.

A further parallel to the initial Soviet treaty with Germany is the way in which MacGrady pretends to be in on Fern's smear campaign against Francine, only truly working to neutralize and destroy the operation by double-crossing Fern and the others with an entirely different plan.  When Francine breaks down in front of MacGrady, this is like the plea for help that the nations suffering under the Nazi onslaught made to the Allied forces.  While there is no confrontational defeat of the smear campaign, it is nonetheless completely destroyed when everyone hears Francine's plea, realizes the damage that's been done and decides to surrender.

Defeat, Redemption, and the Nuremberg Trials

Much like Germany in the wake of its defeat, Fern and the others become genuinely sorry for what they've done.  Germany, to this day, is repentant and is one of few nations that has actually made Holocaust Denial an illegal form of speech.  Like Fern, they repented and have walked the road to redemption.  As Fern, Buster and the gang sit in a row grasping a rope behind the curtain at the behest of MacGrady as they came to moral judgment for their actions, this parallels the captured Nazi leaders while on trial at Nuremberg, sitting in a row in court awaiting and hearing their judgment - which was ultimately to be hanged from a rope until dead.  Furthermore, the fact that this final stage of the episode occurs in a fortune teller's booth, with MacGrady telling the fortune and orchestrating justice.  Likewise, the Court at Nuremberg was organized by the Allies, and as charged with determining their ultimate fate much like a fortune teller revealing the future and fate of a client.    

In the end, Francine has been accepted back into the gang, just like the Jews were freed and re-incorporated into the international community.  The party favors, streamers, and confetti that fall in the end represent the world's celebration at the final defeat of Hitler and the Axis, and the end of World War II.  

Alex the Sailor returns from the front, grabs and kisses his Maria-in-waiting, and everyone lives happily ever after.

But wait...

In the final moments of the episode, Francine is shown throwing a dart and bursting a balloon.  Moments later, the horrors of the carnival, including Haney and his deadly saw trick and Ms. Sweetwater with her nefarious Fudge Song, race across the screen.  What could this mean?  I contend it was premonition of the future conflict that would arise in the Middle East as a result of the creation of the State of Israel (considered by many to be a reparation for the Holocaust) indicating that something yet again involving the actions of the Jews (Francine bursting the balloon and ending the peace) would give rise to a grave international conflict.  

But that, my friends, is another episode.   drunken

Last edited by A Lotta Moms on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:51 pm; edited 8 times in total
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Draw! / World War II Analysis

Post by Rummy on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:19 pm

It could also symbolize Fern reconsidering pulling the rope is that of Hitler pulling the trigger. Thus ending WWII and the Francine/Fern feud.

But man, that does match up perfectly, perhaps Ferny has some German blood in her, I guess that would make her a German Shepard.
Rummy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:38 pm

wtf ???
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BionicBunny on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:44 pm

You need a history degree to fully understand it.

BionicBunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 磁計算機騎士 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Did they even decide Francine was Jewish at that time? Arthur's Perfect Christmas wouldn't be for about 3 more years.
磁計算機騎士
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile http://wikia.com/w:c:arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Hmm, I'm really not sure.  It's probably worth investigating.  Question
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:51 pm

u made this up like you always do -_-
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator
Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:30 am

I'm still trying to make sense of it, myself.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:42 am

Well is it just me? Or Am I the only one that thinks this makes perfect sense. You do not need a history degree mind you the douche bag said that who is long dead...

There is definitely Germanic/Austrian fuel inside of Fern....
The depiction in comics could be seen as the propaganda that "Jews were rats" "evil, fleas and riddled with disease" but yeah i shall stop the tangent.

I always though the episode had an underlying element to it, and now I know
Wow my eyes have been opened AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

View user profile http://www.wm3.org

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:03 am

It makes sense to me too. I don't know why SA took this seriously. It was basically a compasion and similarities kind of thing. And it did make sense.

It's actually a really sad episode because it makes you feel bad for Francine. And the moral is not to hurt someone else's feelings with hurtful drawings.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:07 am

Exactly, it was made in jest but the episode was intended to show that bullying in any form is not right. Satirical drawings about people and/or ostracization  of any kind is horrible and if you have been there then you know how shitty it feels...
IRL and online. IRL is much worse naturally. That episode affected me I guess because I experienced it at school....
Mind you, the entire class were not apologetic, nor were they all friends with each other. So it was not the entire class who were in on the bullying and yeah no apologies

Anyway moving on...
The moral of every episode is to "Get along with each other" no matter how screwed up each character is XDXD
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:10 am

ArthurFrancineFan wrote:Exactly, it was made in jest but the episode was intended to show that bullying in any form is not right. Satirical drawings about people and/or ostracization  of any kind is horrible and if you have been there then you know how shitty it feels...
IRL and online. IRL is much worse naturally. That episode affected me I guess because I experienced it at school....
Mind you, the entire class were not apologetic, nor were they all friends with each other. So it was not the entire class who were in on the bullying and yeah no apologies

Anyway moving on...
The moral of every episode is to "Get along with each other" no matter how screwed up each character is XDXD

^^This.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by MatthewHecht on Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:18 pm

If Mrs. McGrady is the Soviet Union and their casualties I guess setting this up somehow hurt her so much that it went on to give her cancer. Would that also make her Stalin? He made Hitler look like a Saint. Would that mean Mrs. McGrady is secretly serving mind controlled food and running the school from behind the scenes?
MatthewHecht
Downs Clown
Downs Clown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:52 pm

Okay the words Hitler and Saint do not belong in the same sentence.
Stalin was a B$$stard. However they still liberated the camps, be it for their own gain.
Yes she is secretly putting chemicals in the food to distort the kids minds...mwhahaha
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:28 am

Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurFrancineFan on Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:39 am

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Francine Frensky Edmund burke.
Wink
ArthurFrancineFan
Cherry Bomb
Cherry Bomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top