And Thus, the End of a Short Era

View previous topic View next topic Go down

And Thus, the End of a Short Era

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:17 pm

It would seem that the double-dose of daily ARTHUR has come to an end, and the show's back to it's previous single airing at 4:00, while 4:30 is now reserved for a new show called THE ODD SQUAD (it sound like Murray the Cop from THE ODD COUPLE getting his own spin-off, lol).

Oh well... depending on episode rotations, they really only played one good episode a day most of the time anyway, so no skin off my nose.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: And Thus, the End of a Short Era

Post by 磁計算機騎士 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:04 pm

the

Last edited by Magnezonomon on Sun May 24, 2015 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : The)
磁計算機騎士
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile http://wikia.com/w:c:arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by 1ToughCustomer on Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:39 pm

I noticed this today and was wondering if it was just a temporary thing. Sad news Sad
1ToughCustomer
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:03 pm

Wasn't the back-to-back ARTHUR originally supposed to be just a summer thing anyway?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 磁計算機騎士 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:04 am

It was a summer of back-to-back episodes of several shows.
磁計算機騎士
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:42 pm

I noticed this, and frankly, I'm very upset about it. My PBS station showed the older episodes at the latter slot, which of course was the slot they shafted for "Odd Squad"...*eyeroll*

Aldi
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:08 pm

They kind of been going back and forth for a while... first the older episodes were shown in the first slot, then they flipped it and showed the older episodes in the second slot... but really, older episodes tend to get the shaft big-time anyway. Take last year, for example: out of the 250 weekdays (M-F) of 2013, less than 40 days saw any episodes from Seasons 1-8.

Then again, there's an unwritten rule that kid shows have to avoid seeming "dated" for today's kids: as the 2000s progressed, SESAME STREET began showing less and less pre-90s inserts, and once the show went so-called "HD" in 2008, they now show no classic inserts, and the classic inserts are now treated as adult-only entertainment.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:29 pm

they dont care bout us i guess No
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Snowth Poogle wrote:They kind of been going back and forth for a while... first the older episodes were shown in the first slot, then they flipped it and showed the older episodes in the second slot... but really, older episodes tend to get the shaft big-time anyway. Take last year, for example: out of the 250 weekdays (M-F) of 2013, less than 40 days saw any episodes from Seasons 1-8.

Then again, there's an unwritten rule that kid shows have to avoid seeming "dated" for today's kids: as the 2000s progressed, SESAME STREET began showing less and less pre-90s inserts, and once the show went so-called "HD" in 2008, they now show no classic inserts, and the classic inserts are now treated as adult-only entertainment.
Wow, it's worse than I thought. I suppose I'm lucky that I own a DVR, I managed to record most of the Seasons 2-3 episodes they showed, I hadn't seen those in forever. I am a tad bit disappointed, though, that they didn't air anything from Season 1, or the Season 3 finale episode.

Aldi
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nope on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:17 am

I only presume Arthur's ratings were lower than some of their other fare (WILD KRATTS, Curious George, etc.), hence making Arthur their first sacrificial lamb for the way of rearranging the schedule. I know this has happened before - our PBS station removed Arthur entirely for a while when they were airing through newer programs.

Season 1 has been retired for a while owing to its dated nature, as mentioned elsewhere. The same rulings apply to other PBS programs - you'll never see the original Thomas & Friends narrated by Ringo Starr air again in all their sarcastic glory, and I doubt we'll see the earlier seasons of Sesame Street when things were allowed to be unsafe and politically incorrect. Times change. Kids change. Media "Activists" happen, too.

If y'all are really mortified over the situation, I suppose it would be suit to track down any episodes on DVD or elsewhere. There will eventually come the day when Arthur is finally canned and PBS dumps it entirely out of procedure - but at least we'll have the classics to enjoy on our own time.

Mmm. Back to my pocket monsters. Enjoy your bunnies and monkeys! Like a Star @ heaven

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldi on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm compiling a list of Arthur DVDs being sold currently on shopPBS.com. Not all of them contain older episodes. I'm curious, Binky's Barnes, what programs was Arthur shafted for on your station? That only happens to programs no longer in production where I live. (Currently, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and Clifford the Big Red Dog are the only survivors).

Aldi
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Wow, neither of those shows air on my PBS anymore.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldi on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Granted, they are relegated to the early morning weekend slots.

Aldi
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:26 pm

I don't think my PBS does that anymore... I know they used to though... like Sunday morning would basically be repeats of Friday's episodes of shows, but I think my PBS now devotes weekends to more artistic kinds of programs, from local independent films, to arts-and-crafts shows, and such.

Now, that PBS sister channel, Create, they recently started occasionally airing reruns of THE JOYS OF PAINTING: when I was an infant and a tot, Bob Ross always mesmerized me, from his beautiful paintings, to his soothing and encouraging instructions as he goes along (and how can you not love those happy little clouds and happy little trees?)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldi on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:30 pm

My PBS has always done it...there aren't any PBS sister channels on my station, aside from a few local ones, one of which, IIRC, shows PBS Kids programming 24/7.

Aldi
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:12 pm

From what I remember, the double episodes were a summer scheduling "strategy" which PBS said they would continue if it proved to be successful for the ratings. Evidently it was, since many shows still air double episodes (Curious George, Wild Kratts, and more for example). Unfortunately Arthur got the short end of the stick when Odd Squad came around.

I know this is old school, but ever since this summer I've been filling up VHS tapes with the older episodes. With the double episodes combined with my local station's kids channel, I was getting 3 different episodes per day. Too bad Seasons 1 and 2 never appeared. I checked out KET's Arthur scheduling/episode page, and it looks like many season 1 episodes have not aired since 2010 or 2011.

Arthur's First Sleepover and the New Year's episode is airing during the holiday, just an FYI!
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:13 pm

"Arthur's First Sleepover / Arthur's New Year's Eve" is always reserved for New Year's, much like "Flea to Be You and Me / Kiss and Tell" is always reserved for Valentine's Day. "D.W. Goes to Washington / Arthur's Mystery Envelope" and "Buster's Breathless / The Fright Stuff" used to be reserved for Memorial Day and Halloween, respectively.

And, as mentioned in another thread, apparently PBS has recently permanently retired Season One from rotation altogether, due to the episodes now being "too dated" for kids today.

I'm with you, though, I actually have a number of Season 1-4 and 7-8 episodes taped, but I did that back in the day, because my PBS didn't start airing ARTHUR regularly till 2000, so I'd tape it whenever it was on because it was a rare treat... once it aired regularly in 2000, I started taping episodes that I particularly enjoyed (Season 4 in particular I was taping just about everyday because they were just that good). But now, since older episodes are rare, I usually head over to YouTube for my regular older ARTHUR fix - even though WGBH occasionally goes on a copyright spree, people just upload them again shortly afterwards (and really, WGBH only does it whenever they find out newer episodes from overseas have been posted before they've actually aired in North America).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 磁計算機騎士 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:13 am

Snowth Poogle wrote:And, as mentioned in another thread, apparently PBS has recently permanently retired Season One from rotation altogether, due to the episodes now being "too dated" for kids today.
Find a PBS press release or otherwise official source, or it didn't happen.

I read that trivia thread and recognised about 20% from Earwig on ECC. The rest was a reheat of stuff from here, mixed with about the same amount of opinion commentary. Therefore, 80% of that thread may not be completely correct.

Snowth Poogle wrote:I'm with you, though, I actually have a number of Season 1-4 and 7-8 episodes taped, but I did that back in the day, because my PBS didn't start airing ARTHUR regularly till 2000, so I'd tape it whenever it was on because it was a rare treat... once it aired regularly in 2000, I started taping episodes that I particularly enjoyed (Season 4 in particular I was taping just about everyday because they were just that good). But now, since older episodes are rare, I usually head over to YouTube for my regular older ARTHUR fix - even though WGBH occasionally goes on a copyright spree, people just upload them again shortly afterwards (and really, WGBH only does it whenever they find out newer episodes from overseas have been posted before they've actually aired in North America).
I've found that if the episode is season 9 or earlier, PBS will not touch it. It's probably because seasons 10 to present are available for purchase on Amazon Prime, etc. Unless you have a lot of both kinds of episodes on your channel. Then, they'll just shut down the whole channel for copyrights. That's why we lost MsArthurTV and ArthurTV1996 (I think that was the second one's name; I mostly used the first one).

I've checked a bunch of videos after they have been deleted, and to my experience it's always PBS who filed the legal takedown, not WGBH.

Last edited by 磁計算機騎士 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
磁計算機騎士
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:05 am

You guys wanna know something funny? My local PBS station ALWAYS airs Arthur early in the morning while the afternoon showing is always interrupted by a LAUSD Schoolboard Meeting. Who the hell cares! No kid wants to watch a Schoolboard meeting lol!
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:42 am

The Pop Cult Gamer wrote:You guys wanna know something funny? My local PBS station ALWAYS airs Arthur early in the morning while the afternoon showing is always interrupted by a LAUSD Schoolboard Meeting. Who the hell cares! No kid wants to watch a Schoolboard meeting lol!

Sounds like "Stock Market Today" replacing "Mary Moo Cow". Smile
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:41 pm

well i try seein it but aint seen it in like 3 months cause i cant watch it on TV cause my fucken hamhead dad watch fucken Na$$car all goddamn day erry goddamn day since he aint gone w0rk since mom died  No No No

Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PrettyCoolStairs on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:39 pm

We've got a Season 1 episode on the PBS Kids video player as of today, so clearly they are not permanently gone from PBS.
PrettyCoolStairs
Bunny Loremaster!
Bunny Loremaster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthurfan21 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:32 am

Snowth Poogle wrote:It would seem that the double-dose of daily ARTHUR has come to an end, and the show's back to it's previous single airing at 4:00, while 4:30 is now reserved for a new show called THE ODD SQUAD (it sound like Murray the Cop from THE ODD COUPLE getting his own spin-off, lol).

Oh well... depending on episode rotations, they really only played one good episode a day most of the time anyway, so no skin off my nose.

Actually, the ODD SQUAD looks and sounds more like an Electric Company (the 2009-2011 version) wannabe.

Arthurfan21
Rather Unsavory Fellow
Rather Unsavory Fellow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MagicToolBox on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Some stations actually still air double Arthurs, like NJN in New Jersey.

MagicToolBox
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:05 pm

WILD KRATTS appears to have replaced ARTHUR on my PBS.

The scheduling still says ARTHUR, but whenever I tune in, it's WILD KRATTS.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top