To Eat or Not To Eat was a disturbing episode

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To Eat or Not To Eat was a disturbing episode

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:05 am

This is gonna be my narrative music for explaining my experience with the episode...this song fits perfectly with the atmosphere of the episode.

Back in October of 2011, I was a senior in High School. After my Art Class ended (that was my last period of the day), I went home to see the newest episode of Arthur. I turned on the TV and switched it to my local PBS station playing the episode. Arthur is the last show I would EVER expect to scare me! After the Viewers Like You and the intro ended, the episode starts.

The beginning sequence shows Buster's imagination as a detective in a rather rundown looking hallway. Buster was talking about food which made him hungry, then a California Raisin-like character walks into the office asking for help.

After the Title card, Buster and Arthur are walking Bionic Bunny about to be tortured with an ICEE made from a Mr. Freeze-like villain. The Bionic Bunny show cuts to a commercial break advertising a new candy bar, "The Big Boss Bar." The funny thing about this commercial is it remind me of the 90's and early 2000's kid commercials advertising candy or junk food due to the all the colors, patterns and kids acting crazy. Buster wants to go get one right away but Arthur asks him if he still wants to watch the Bionic Bunny "cartoon." Wait a minute!? I thought Bionic Bunny was a fictional live action show in Arthur? Remember Wilbur Rabbit, the actor of Bionic Bunny? Arthur AND Muffy met him in "Arthur Goes Crosswire!" How could Bionic Bunny be a cartoon in Arthur if Arthur and his friends have seen him both in person and on TV? Or maybe it's Bionic Bunny: The Animated Series like Superman: The Animated Series. If that's the case, then they did a really good job on the artstyle to match Wilbur Rabbit's likeness.

In the next scene, Buster is going to the Sugar Bowl and Binky comes out with a hug bag of Big Boss Bars. Seriously, did he like pay over 30-50 dollars worth of candy bars? I bet Binky's mom was very pissed off when he got home! Buster goes in seeing that they are all sold out of them but then he finds one last one sitting by it's self on the checkout counter. As Buster reads the label on the bar, Fern and George run in laughing and running with sparkles coming out of their mouths. Buster can't decide if he should have it now or if it's the last one. Then he decides he'll have it for lunch. I noticed in animation error while he says this. If you look at Fern and George running towards the screen, Fern has no sparkles in her mouth while George does! Also when the screen is cutting to the next scene, their mouths are still moving but they stopped laughing!

The next scene cuts to the cafeteria (I assume this took place the next day), MacGrady serves a Tofu Stew with Organic Veggies. Buster tells her he is more interested in desert and gives it to her. As she reads the Ingredients Label, she reads off very unusual ingredients including "Tri-Enzomated Zorn Jelly." Neither Buster and her know what it is especially since she knows food real well. She tells him to be wary of ingredients you have never heard of or can't produce. She hands him a fresh apple for free telling him he is better off with that. Buster tells MacGrady that he will try to find out what it is. The camera fades to Binky holding his sack of Big Boss Bars with George begging him for more and that he will pay him back. Binky refuses and Fern buys another one instantly taking a bite out of it. Buster begins to get more suspicious as why they can't stop eating it.

We then cut to Buster's imagination as a detective and the Big Boss Bar claiming the Candy is spreading lies so Buster gets on the case. Only to be chased down by a car and getting a "soggy fedora." 

The next scene shows all the kids waiting in line at a picnic table to buy Binky's Big Boss Bars. Fern goes crazy as she buys another one while George promises he has the right amount of money for a Big Boss Bar. George literally eats the whole bar in one big including the wrapper! Then runs away all happy. Buster and Brain are sitting on a Roundabout with Brain reading off the ingredients saying that it contains an "impressive" array of chemicals as most of the elements of the periodic table are included there.......even some of the radioactive ones!!! This is the part that really unnerved me the most. The thought of the beloved Arthur characters consumes deadly toxic waste! And get addicted to it with it might killing them! My eyes began to open big and began to shake and felt the my blood raising to my shoulders! Out of watching Arthur almost my entire damn life, I thought this was a sick, scary joke the writers were pulling on us! Not to mention they were eating bugs contained inside the Big Boss Bar! Oh my god....did Rapid Dog plan some kind of conspiracy terrorist attack against kids? That Big Boss Bar not only contains an addictive drug, bugs but RADIOACTIVE ELEMENTS!!! You know Radioactive Poisoning can kill you? Fern, George and everyone else getting addicted to Big Boss Bars is gonna give them Radioactive Poisoning and kill them! The Big Boss Bar might even be considered a Biohazard Weapon and a Weapon of Mass Destruction! If everyone who ate a Big Boss Bar dies from the Radioactive poisoning, the owners would get charged with manslaughter and get sentenced to death in the electric chair!

The camera fades back to Buster's imagination as a detective where he follows the Big Boss Bar with a gang of thugs as the ingredients listed in the Big Boss Bar. Then the Candy man whose identity is mostly hidden shows up and they all go into a secret place.

As it goes back to reality, Buster is in the library only with George and Fern. He looks up Rapid Dog's website only for it to cause a loud, starling howl in the library. If I were Miss Turner, I would be like "What the hell are you on Buster!?" Buster looks at the section of Ingredients which the type is micro-sized and fulls up the entire screen. Damn there must be hundreds of chemicals in that bar! When he clicks on the Tri-Enzomated Zorn Jelly. The screen goes green and locks up. Buster notices George and Fern getting awfully sick and dizzy from the Big Boss Bars. This part unnerved me even more as I thought they were getting Radioactive Poisoning! I was kinda of getting tempted to change the channel from getting too scared. I began thinking to myself that they would never allow characters dying on a kids show. So I decided to still watch it.

Back to Buster's imagination, after Buster questions why the Big Boss Bar leaves a trail of misery everywhere she goes and why she is hangs out with the bad crowd. After she cries, Buster licks the tear off a handkerchief. He says she is delicious, she tries to seduce Buster into wanting so much! But has no choice but to go to Bitzi Baxter for help.

Back to reality, Bitzi tells him he doesn't want to eat the Big Boss Bar after reading the label. Buster just wants to know the facts first. Bitzi tells him that he came to the right place as she can take a tour with him to Rapid Dog Headquarters. Calling in a few favors.

So they take a tour to Rapid Dog, where Buster and Bitzi watch the TV in the lobby explaining the Tri-Enzomated Zorn Jelly crafted by over 100 scientists. Buster asks "But what is it?" A dog confronts him telling him "It's out special ingredient. I would tell you but then it wouldn't be a secret." Bitzi introduces herself from the Elwood City Times and shakes hands with the Dog thanking him for meeting them. He introduces himself as Supreme Dog and says were are very informal there. She tells him that Buster has a few questions about the Big Boss Bar. He asks "Like what they are so darn tasty?" Buster says no and asks "Why my friends can't stop eating it?" He says "That's easy." He changes the advertisement on the TV screen to a slide show. Supreme Dog explains that when you bite into a Big Boss Bar, parts of Tri-Enzomated Zorn Jelly attach themselves to parts of your brain and make you happy. But when the little monocles die, your brain gets sad until you eat some more. OH SH*T! That did it! Supreme Dog is BUSTED! Bitzi asks if the Big Boss Bars are addictive while Supreme Dog denies it and Buster gets pissed! He says he doesn't want the Big Boss Bar anymore and tells him to eat it. Supreme Dog starts to panic saying he "just had one." Buster says "No you didn't! You would still be sparkly *opens the bar* or jumpy!" Supreme Dog is corned saying "Easy there little feller! Just put the bar down!" Buster shoved it towards him saying "Take a bite! It's your product!" Supreme Dog runs away in a funny but cheesy way shouting "No! Keep it away from me! AH! KEEP IT AWAY FROM ME!!!" He runs out of the building and a some attorney hands Bitzi a note saying that "Supreme Dog had to take a personal day. The interview is over." Bitzi knows what tomorrow's headline is gonna be "Candy Company Cons Kids." Buster narrates saying that the Ace Reporter had a new story and he has lost his sweet tooth.

Back to Buster's imagination, Supreme Dog is arrested and taken away. Buster walks up to the Big Boss Bar cutting her loose. The Big Boss Bar thought he was her friend but he was just like all the others. He told her that she made him feel like a million dollars but that was the Tri-Enzomated Zorn Jelly talking and the other ingredients in the Big Boss Bar. She too is arrested.

One last time to reality, there is a newspaper article with Supreme Dog behind bars (he is lighter in skin tone compared to how he was in person.....and it was a recolored prop from Buster the Myth Maker.) Binky has the newspaper on display on his Big Boss Bar stand shouting "Big Boss Bars! Two for a quarter!" He tells Buster walking up that ever since the news article, no one is buying. He thinks will take him years to unload all the junk. Why doesn't Binky just get a refund (oh yeah he can't because of the dangerous chemicals in them) or throw them all away? Buster tells him not to worry as the chemicals in them will make them last for centuries. Binky says that he sunk into the scam and now he has to eat it (he meant eat it as in deal with his loss of money.) Buster jokes saying that it beats eating those finishing his apple. Binky says "You said a mouthful Buster! A big sparkly mouth full!"

I think I should make a few scenarios where Supreme Dog is getting arrested by the police, getting beat up by Binky and the Tough Customers or......him getting fried in the electric chair! THE END!

Last edited by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:54 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Finishing up the story)
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Re: To Eat or Not To Eat was a disturbing episode

Post by Nope on Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:08 am

The animation got pretty sloppy in the seasons leading up to the flash transition. That's one advantage to the flash animation, it all uses the same programmed models instead of having to draw everything by scratch.

Yes, Bionic Bunny was supposed to be a live action show. It was based on the old 1950's Superman TV Show, the one with the main actor who committed suicide. Dark Bunny is the cartoon one, probably based on Batman TAS or Batman Beyond. When Dark Bunny is shown, it's always drawn with thick comic book style lines. This is the way all in-universe cartoons worked in Arthur's world. Live action programs retained the usual style. If there was ever any contradiction, that would be an error on the director's part.

Nope
Carl Winslow
Carl Winslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:47 am

I'm not the only one who noticed the lady in the teaser looked like someone from "The California Raisin Show"!

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Sorry to bump this thread, but where's the rest of the episode experience?

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:44 am

This was one of the more amusing episodes for quite a few reasons.  Specifically, how it parallels more serious drug abuse.  Fern and George as hard-up junkies with Binky as their no-nonsense street dealer was classic.  Then there was the (most likely unintentionally) hilarious scene where Buster seems to steal a candy bar while the shop clerk's away.  Given his track record of borrowing things, this one really lends itself to interpretation.  Finally, we have George scarfing down a Big Boss Bar in one gulp with the wrapper still on.

So much funny in just fifteen minutes...
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:08 am

MarleyandPal96 wrote:Sorry to bump this thread, but where's the rest of the episode experience?

I'll get to it this week.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

View user profile https://thepopcultgamer.tumblr.com/post/160472897422/outofcontex

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldi on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:44 pm

Looking forward to it!

Aldi
Shady Character
Shady Character

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyandPal96 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:17 pm

It's been a week, did you give up? Lose train of thought?

MarleyandPal96
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pop Cult Gamer on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:54 am

MarleyandPal96 wrote:It's been a week, did you give up? Lose train of thought?

Finished it. Sorry it took so long.
The Pop Cult Gamer
John Morris
John Morris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top