Arthur's Eyes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Arthur's Eyes

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Whether or not Word of Dante is true regarding all of Season One being permanently retired from airing on PBS for being outdated for today's kids, I can pretty much argue that "Arthur's Eyes," is probably one of the most obviously outdated episodes we have in terms of story and subject matter.

I know that seems sacrilegious for me to say, since it's the very first episode, but hear me out on this: as someone whose worn glasses for all but four and a half years of his life, and seeing the things I've seen in these past twenty-five years, I can tell you that glasses are very socially acceptable, and have been for a long time now. Even back in the 90s - the show had just started, and I was a kid growing up, and when I started wearing glasses in kindergarten, I never once in my life, that I can remember, ever had to go through the kind of torment and name-calling Arthur went through when he started wearing glasses... in fact, I never saw that with any other kids that wear glasses growing up. Now here we are in the 21st century, in the middle of the New Tens, and all things considered, glasses are considered cool: a number of well-known personalities wear glasses, and even glasses commercials try and put off vibes that glasses have sex appeal... matter of fact, it almost seems weird whenever anybody in this day and age actually tries to swap out glasses for contacts, or just ditch their glasses altogether *cough*Tina Fey*cough*.

So yeah, I mean, like it or not, "Arthur's Eyes," does pretty much come off as really outdated today.

Homeless Santa - Global Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Arthur's Eyes

Post by Kerry9Story on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:19 pm

well beckys lil bro wear glasses too but keeps lookin her a$$ hella time, so needs get em broke.
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:55 pm

It would seem as if glasses being a point of teasing has really tapered off over the past few decades.  While it's commonly depicted in media from earlier eras, I only recall anyone ever being teased for it back during my very earliest years in school.  After, say, second or third grade, it was just nothing that anyone ever really brought up as a basis for bullying, regardless of how mean-spirited children and adolescents can be at times.
A Lotta Moms
Village Idiot - Administrator

View user profile http://theslumsofelwood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:27 pm

Unfortunately, the one thing that seems will never go out of style is tormenting the fat people... in fact, it's a proven fact that there's just as much (if not more) weight discrimination in the world today as there is racial discrimination... I mean, how many times have we seen in the news people being kicked off planes for being "too fat to fly," even when they're not that fat? And Hollywood actually says Jennifer Lawrence is legally a "plus-sized" actress.

Sad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Unfortunately, our society still has a long way to go in terms of acceptance.  On a similar note, shorter people (men in particular) also face an unbelievable amount of discrimination in the workplace, in the romantic arena, and pretty much everywhere.  I've likewise read that the effect is similar in magnitude to racial/ethnic discrimination.  Being roughly 5'6" myself, it's something that's long irked me.  

Much of it's relative to time and culture, too.  During earlier periods in history, being somewhat overweight was often seen as socially desirable because it denoted a higher standard of living and lack of starvation.  Being shorter was also perfectly fine through most of history, when the average male wasn't much taller than I am.  It's scarcely a big deal in Latin American, Asian or Middle Eastern cultures where the average person isn't as tall as a skyscraper.
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowth Poogle on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Ironically, even though I come for a line of short people (my dad's like 5'4''-5'5'', and my mom is 4'9''), I'm actually the tallest person in my family at 5'8''... that apparently makes it an inch taller than the so-called "average" American, but I still find myself having to look up to see other people's eyes, instead of their chins.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerry9Story on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:22 pm

well thats just mean No
Kerry9Story
Pregnant
Pregnant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Francine Frensky on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Tell me about it!

Just last week, some knucklehead who I THOUGHT was my friend had the nerve to call me a marshmallow! Then I got stuck working on some stupid paper with him and he kept acting all chummy like I was supposed to be his stupid girlfriend or something! Seriously people! It's the 90s! What ever happened to letting a girl work on a project by herself? Didn't anyone ever hear of women's lib?

Whatever. I'll take pizza and ice cream over boys ANY day.
Francine Frensky
Wretched Bastard
Wretched Bastard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lotta Moms on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Francine Frensky wrote:Whatever.  I'll take pizza and ice cream over boys ANY day.
Words to live by, Frankie. Wink
A Lotta Moms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top